Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which CRPG hooked you into CRPG's, and how?

Andhaira

Arcane
Which rpg was the game that hooked you into the world of computer roleplaying and how did it do it?

Discuss!!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
fuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Andhaira

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Diablo, by being the first RPG I played.

HEATHEN!

Wow Jarl you are really young. You really missed out on the golden years of rpg's.Sure you can play those games later but to lpay them as they were released was an experiance in of itself. I personally can still recall firing up ultima 7 and spending the night just wandering about the streets of the first town.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AndhairaX said:
JarlFrank said:
Diablo, by being the first RPG I played.

HEATHEN!

Wow Jarl you are really young. You really missed out on the golden years of rpg's.Sure you can play those games later but to lpay them as they were released was an experiance in of itself. I personally can still recall firing up ultima 7 and spending the night just wandering about the streets of the first town.

I'm 20. I just didn't play any RPGs when I was younger. Grew up with mostly adventures like Monkey Island and platformers like Commander Keen. After I played Diablo, I noticed how cool those RPGs are and got myself all the old Might and Magic and Wizardry stuff which I enjoyed a lot.

Andhaira

Arcane
Ah, commander keen was cool to be sure. Dangerous Dave was better though. ;)

Lemunde

Scholar
Exile, the predecessor to Avernum. Crappy graphics but I loved the freedom it gave me over JRPGs. It's really hard to say what it was about it that made it fun to play. There were certainly a lot of places to explore and interesting things to find. I can't remember what they were exactly. It was such a long time ago. Now days if I feel the itch to play a game like that I play Avernum 2.

I think Diablo contributed as well. But the funny thing is the first time I played it was on the Playstation.

Eh, my first RPG was FF7 when I was 9 but never really got into them until I played Planescape: Torment a couple of years ago.

Fyz

Scholar
Rage of Mages 2. It came as a bundle with a gaming mag back in '99.
I'm not sure about the next one, it was either MM6 or Pokemon yellow :D
I bought MM6 because I really liked HoMM 1, and I wanted to try the RPG series aswell.
Pokemon yellow was love on first sight. Turn based combat+collectibles <3

Melcar

Arcane
Baldur's Gate

Had already experienced cRPGs in the past, but it wasn't until this game that I really got into the genre.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Betrayal at Krondor always comes to mind when I think about "one of the first very old rpgs that I used to play a shitload of time ago".

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I got into RPGs pretty late, with Fallout 2 (i was 15 at the time). Unfortunately, to this day I still didn't get to play the games from the "golden era".

I remember doing the tutorial and I didn't understand exactly how the skills worked and why I could open the first locked door, from the first try, without a key, just by clicking "lockpick".

Ah, being young and stupid... :oops:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
AndhairaX said:
Dangerous Dave was better though. ;)
I never managed to beat that. It's amazing how as a kid you could replay a level 100 times without feeling boredom.

Did you find the secret level? :soproud:

Anyway, back on topic: Dungeon Master. It was one of the first games commercially released in Poland. I still have the floppy somewhere...

Castanova

Prophet
Probably FF2... I can't really remember though because I never really thought about games in terms of genre classifications until I was older. Does Star Tropics count? :lol:

Callaxes

Arbiter
Lands of Lore. But what really started everything for me was Morrowind followed by Fallout 2.

Andhaira

Arcane
Kthan75 said:
I got into RPGs pretty late, with Fallout 2 (i was 15 at the time). Unfortunately, to this day I still didn't get to play the games from the "golden era".

Well there are 2 games you should definately play that are still VERY playable today:

-Lands of Lore (using dosbox)
-Ultima 7 (using exult. Just google it, its very simple)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom