Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Where can I find other gamers like those on the codex ?

poetic codex

Augur
In real life?

Yeah, I know [insert joke here about codexers being people you wouldn't want to meet in real life].

But all joking aside, I don't think I've ever met anyone else in real life to have a more serious discussion about gaming.

I understand that on some level websites like this one are self-selective, and only a certain type of person would find their way here, but real life discussions can be fun too in their own way and offer some things that can't be achieved online.

However, as I've said, I haven't met one other person. In fact of all the people who play games at my workplace, only two of them play PC games, and NONE of them ever even heard of Baldur's Gate.:shock: It helps put things into perspective when you imagine that all those people who bought Oblivion likely never even knew that Morrowind existed.

Even more surprising, most of them never even heard of more recent titles like Dragon Age and Mass Effect despite all that marketing by EA.

Seriously, where are the people that make games like Mass effect get millions of sales? Obviously someone is buying them,but where the heck can they be found offline?

You might be surprised, but running into someone who has simply heard of the Witcher is like finding a needle in a haystack, let alone games like Arcanum, Fallout 1, Icewind Dale etc.

When I talked to the manager at Gamestop, he didn't even know about Neverwinter Nights 1, which I thought was a fairly popular game.Talk about putting things into perspective.

I suppose gaming is like music in the sense that lots of people listen to music, but only a select few care about things like the history of music, or music theory :(

Exmit

Scholar
Because when they are offline they must pretend they are adults and when they go online they go bat shit TROLOLOLOL on forums.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I recently had a nice discussion about Arcanum with a guy in university. Also I met a girl who played and liked System Shock 2, Deus Ex and other awesome older games.

Go study philosophy, history and English literature and you'll probably find people nerdy enough to talk about PC games seriously.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Go study philosophy, history and English literature and you'll probably find people nerdy enough to talk about PC games seriously.

Probably the single worst suggestion I've ever seen anyone make on this forum.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Depends on where you study. You'll (still) make more money brokering a history/phil or econ major from an elite school into big-law than you will taking a tech/business degree somewhere else.

poetic codex

Augur
JarlFrank said:
I recently had a nice discussion about Arcanum with a guy in university. Also I met a girl who played and liked System Shock 2, Deus Ex and other awesome older games.

Damn. I knew we were nerds, but I didn't really think that the topics we discuss here were so esoteric. So many games we consider classic are likely games that people never even heard of even if they consider themselves a "gamer"

P.S. that girl sounds really cool.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
When Gandhi said "you must be the change you want to see in the world", he was actually referring to gaming tastes.

Seriously, pick a few likely friends, loan them your dog-eared copies of Fallout 1, Planescape, Morrowind and Sexy Beach 3 and tell them that if they really loved you they'd sit down and play them.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
When Gandhi said "you must be the change you want to see in the world", he was actually referring to gaming tastes.

Seriously, pick a few likely friends, loan them your dog-eared copies of Fallout 1, Planescape, Morrowind and Sexy Beach 3 and tell them that if they really loved you they'd sit down and play them.

This can only lead to

forever+alone+face.png

Destroid

Arcane
In my experience most people are computer nerds these days, they just don't really talk about it.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I have several guys that love "Fallouts" in my class but I can't really connect to them. Not after the holy crusades on NMA.
Basically I talk to them and I see the very people who would get a serious bashing if they would appear there a few years ago.

They seem to be thoughtless and undiscriminating in appreciation of these "series". They are uneducated and their tastes aren't refined.

It's hard to have a good conversation with someone who doesn't understand that I'm mocking a game when I quote the "middle aged guy" and "fight a good fight".

I had a few friends many years ago that played the Goldbox games and other C64 CRPG's, and another who played many of the Amiga CRPG's. They are lost in the sands of time now. From time to time, I feel that it would be amusing to sit down with them and discuss all of those old RPG's again.

One person who worked with me for a short while had finished Fallout1.

These days, the nearest I have gotten to anyone who enjoys CRPG's are lovers of Oblivion, Fallout 3 and F:NV. The odd WoW moron as well.

Vibalist

Arcane
I have a friend who still regularly plays Baldurs Gate 2 and also knows of the first Fallouts. I think he played F1, too, but I'm not sure. Another friend of mine has frequently seen me play some of the old RPG's and seems interested enough in them to ask me a lot of questions about them, but not quite enough to play them.
Aside from this, most of my "gamer" friends are into new releases, like Star Craft 2, L4D, Call of Duty and what have you. Most of them aren't even familiar with the RPG genre.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, I know quite a few guys in university (and even one or two chicks) who played the early/late 90's games when they came out and liked them. Some are also pen and paper players so they know what real RPGs should play like.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If i had friends that gave a shit about these kind of things i would not be hanging out on this forum and talking with you bastards.

CrimsonAngel said:
If i had friends that gave a shit about these kind of things i would not be hanging out on this forum and talking with you bastards.

More or less this..
I know a few people who like the same games as me, but we don't get together to talk about it much. Most of my friends just play action games and they suck at them too, can't even into decent MP with those fucks. And my girlfriend can't into RPG's because she doesn't understand english well enough for that, I'm sure she'd like them though. But now closest she got is Diablo 2, and that's not close at all.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I know no less than 8 people, who liked F1 and F2. Most of them surely don't played F3, two bashed it. Two liked M&M6-8, two - Arcanum. My ex loved Planescape. Several liked BG and BG2. I can't remember anyone irl who played games like Goldboxes :(

Many of them love good old non-RPGs, though.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
Actually, I know quite a few guys in university (and even one or two chicks) who played the early/late 90's games when they came out and liked them. Some are also pen and paper players so they know what real RPGs should play like.

The mistake you're making is assuming they give a shit. My half-brother is almost precisely like the people you are describing but these days he is totally popamole.
Read the computer gaming discussion on, say, RPG.net as well, and learn the sad truth about people who 'know what real RPGs should play like.'

MonkeyLancer

Educated
a few years back I joined a local meetup group that plays pnp rpgs because most of my friends have 'grown up' and don't have time or interest in playing rpgs. When it got to talking about crpgs with the meetup, they were all mmo tards... :(

MetalCraze

Arcane
I know a few "old-breed" gamers in real-life. Some I grew up with. They still want gameplay like in old and relatively old games and are not impressed with the majority of crap coming out today. Unfortunately we don't do LAN-parties for years now for various reasons so it's easier for me to jump onto 'Dex Hamachi if I want to play some old shit in multiplayer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom