Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info When Evil Lurks, News on Chaos Chronicles

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
[...] hexes are superior in every way :)
Why?

Have you played P&P? Squares impose a lot of problems. Take diagonal movement for example. How many "squares of movement" should they cost? D&D handles it by saying that each second square of diagonal movement costs 2 squares of movement. But then how do you count the square distance to something, in the same way? That actually brings in another problem. There's also a lot of tricky situations with AoE attacks and line of sight and that kindda stuff. D&D doesn't have facing either, partly because facing is a bitch with squares.

Hexes solve all of these problems very elegantly.

aleph

Arcane
...D&D handles it by saying that each second square of diagonal movement costs 2 squares of movement. But then how do you count the square distance to something, in the same way? ...

I agree that square grids bring in a lot of problems, but I don't see what the issue is with the distance.

Btw, I'd like to see turn-based games without any grid at all. Table top wargaming doesn't need a grid, so why do crpgs?

Severian Silk

I find grids comforting, simply put. It makes mental calculations and preparations easier.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This might be the first game in a long time I'd actually buy instead of just pirate because it just looks like it's doing so many things just right.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
[...] hexes are superior in every way :)
Why?

Have you played P&P? Squares impose a lot of problems. Take diagonal movement for example. How many "squares of movement" should they cost? D&D handles it by saying that each second square of diagonal movement costs 2 squares of movement. But then how do you count the square distance to something, in the same way? That actually brings in another problem. There's also a lot of tricky situations with AoE attacks and line of sight and that kindda stuff. D&D doesn't have facing either, partly because facing is a bitch with squares.

Hexes solve all of these problems very elegantly.
Thanks. That was a good explanation. I have never played a P&P game, but yeah I expected that it had to do with movement and facing (hexes being better, that's it).

aleph

Arcane
ToEE? PoR?

It has been a while since I played ToEE but wasn't there an underlying grid that was just not shown? And PoR, well ...

Could you tell me what difficulties with distance measurements on square grids you mean?

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Could you tell me what difficulties with distance measurements on square grids you mean?

I guess he means the different distances between straight and diagonal directions. But that's only one problem of squares. If you allow movement across the corner points, you have to face massive problems with blocking in general. In contrast to squares, a hexagon always allows you to cross an edge to get onto the next field.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Grids, hidden or visible, are automatically superior to gridless. Gridless is just "realistic" faggotry.

aleph

Arcane
I guess he means the different distances between straight and diagonal directions. But that's only one problem of squares. If you allow movement across the corner points, you have to face massive problems with blocking in general. In contrast to squares, a hexagon always allows you to cross an edge to get onto the next field.

Ah, I thought he meant something more intricate and interesting than the obvious. But probably not since he doesn't feel like answering my post.

Grids, hidden or visible, are automatically superior to gridless. Gridless is just "realistic" faggotry.

1/10

learn to troll better

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom