Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was your first video game? (Or the first ones per major generation)

Luka-boy

Arcane
Pitfall! on the Commodore 64 when I was three years old and my uncle brought it home one afternoon while he was visiting.

It had such an impact on me that many years later I easily found what game and device they were just by cross-checking my own memories with some online images. Even later on I confirmed it was not just my imagination when I found the C64 and the game in some old boxes belonging to my uncle.

sser

Arcane
Developer
We initially had 3 games on the Amiga:

Corridor 7, Prince of Persia, and Dragon's Lair

I think Dragon's Lair was the first, and Corridor 7 the last. We also later got Flight Simulator for the Amiga which doesn't look so hot now, but for the time, considering you were sitting in that dusky 80s/90s standard of living, wobbling around on a rickety wooden chair, in some office full of junk beyond your understanding, with a table that someone from WWII probably used to own, coffee stains and all, the pixelated 'flying' around was quite an insane introduction to escapism. The cracked windshield for kamikazing into stuff is also burned into my brain. Adjacently, the first RPG I ever played was Ultima Underworld on a cousin's computer. I have a core memory of being very scared of that 'walking into darkness' effect when dungeon delving.

First really immersive 3D game was Alone in the Dark, at least that I can remember and not counting FS. It looks godawful now but the ghoul jumping through the glass scared the daylights out of me. Also that game and Prince of Persia had radically different vibes about them. They were weirdly menacing so it made the spooks really good. Like in Prince of Persia I hated running across the screen and it would board change into a Persian guard two-hopping toward you with his sword out. That made me jump EVERY time.

Mario Bros on the NES, there's a home movie of me running around on Christmas as a tyke the year that we got the system.

First RPG was Dragon Warrior 3 on the NES. We rented it over and over again.

First PC game that I can I remember was the DOS version of Stellar7. I remember having Star Trek 25th anniversary at the time, as well.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Combat (1977) and Breakout (1976/1978) on the Atari Video Computer System (later renamed Atari 2600)

4793283-combat-atari-2600-front-cover.jpg
3925183-breakout-atari-2600-front-cover.jpg

Churrasco

Augur
Patron
Wasteland 2
I started playing on a friend's snes, don't remember the first game but have happy memories of Power Rangers the movie, Tiny Toons wacky sports and Bomberman 2.
Afterwards I got a pc and someone installed Doom 2 and Duke Nukem 3D on it, then I discovered emulation so I started playing a lot of snes games.
Since I didn't have internet I remember going to an internet cafe to download roms on floppy disks, the worse were games larger than 1.44mb like Chrono Trigger since I did'nt know how to split the file into various disks.

First game I ever played: Super Mario Bros. (NES) or Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - Played both at different friend's houses around 1997 or so, can't remember which came first.

First game I ever owned: Star Wars Episode I: Racer (N64) - Bundled in with the console for my B-day of '99. Followed closely by Star Fox 64 the day after.

First PC game I ever played: Baldur's Gate - My cousin brought it down when he came to stay for Christmas of '99. My mom had just bought a DELL as our first PC ever a week earlier.

First PC game I ever owned: Amazon Trail 3rd Edition

First game I ever completed: Hard to say... either Ocarina of Time or Aidyn Chronicles.

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My earliest memories of playing video games are at a relative's playing BurgerTime and Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle on ColecoVision.

KafkaBot

Scholar
The first game I ever owned was Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64.

The first game I ever played was probably Donkey Kong Country at a friend's house (the SNES was already considered a legacy console at the time).

DemonKing

Arcane
I think it was this:

Hanimex-Submarine-Game-Cartridge-Pc-505.webp

Played on an old Australian knock-off console:

s-l1600.jpg

I remember it being terribly unbalanced - as you had a slow sub at the bottom of the screen with a very fast missile shooting up at a fast destroyer on top of the screen with a very slow depth charge. As slow as the sub was it was easy to dodge the painfully slow depth charges while the sub's speedy missiles could often connect with the destroyer.

May have played something earlier at the Arcade like Asteroids or Space Invaders.

This was my first handheld game:

Torjanhorse.png

First game I played on a home computer was Wizardry Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord on an Apple II.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Combat%20(Atari%202600)%20-%20Cart%20Front%20(Picture).jpg

Can't say if it was THE first, but it was one of many I'd play with, and watch, my brother's and cousins play with the 2600.

After that, it was a ton of Nintendo games that I can't say. My cousin had a dozens of them, and whenever I visited, I could pick freely trying them out.

First RPG I played with was Dragon Quest. I was too young to understand some elements, like I needed my cousin to let me out of the starting room by opening the door since that was beyond my toddler grasp. That little bit's all I really remembered of it and it helped me track down what game it was when I went looking for it years ago in LPs.

Last edited:
The oldest recollection I have of playing a videogame is probably Frogger on the Atari 2600. An uncle gifted me and my brother one of those original wood-paneled ones. I spent a lot of time playing Combat, Pitfall, Enduro, and Pinball.

Hagashager

Educated
f9977adf-ea3c-4171-abba-d32aa801c272.jpg
67c3f8c3eabacb1f6d9f5aec7633e2c2.jpg

My first non-hospital piece of knowledge was that there once were cowboys...

Sunset Riders was my first video-game, period. A local sports center had a cabinet I wasted many of my parent's quarters in.

The first home-console was Turok for N64.
n64_turok_dinosaur_hunter_p_v0x57h.jpg

Turok-2.jpg

First PS2 was ATV Offroad Fury. Came with the system.
ps2_atv_offroad_fury-110214.jpg

First Xbox 360 was Oblivion, it's why I got the 360 in the first place.
3e67beac2e03862d3129f6d2137a7ae2.jpg

After that I did not buy any video-game consoles until the Switch. First game on that was Breath of Wild.
Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-screenshots6-1920x1041.jpg

Not bought a new system since and I don't plan to.

Last edited:

Disciple

Savant
Pong on a Thomson TV set. It was the only video game-related stuff at home back then besides some MSX device which my parents ran like once a month.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Probably Battle City on a NES at about 5 years of age, at least that's my oldest memory as a sentient being.

Before that I tried playing something like Space Invader's on a ZX Spectrum, but failed. I was about 3. I can't recall the specifics. I don't think that counts.

color tv. lucky. my parents had odd belief that consoles kill tv so only old black and white was allowed.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Probably Commando on Commodore 64. Played it at a cousin's house and was blown away.

commando_01.jpg

Commando_Animation.gif
It's a port of a Japanese arcade game by Capcom and its Japanese name is Senjou no Okami or "Castle of the Wolf".

Have you played its sequel Senjou no Okami 2? I recommend the Sega "reprogrammed" Mega Drive port's original mode which is an exceedingly rare arcade format ARPG.

Percy

Cipher
River Raid on the Atari.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom