Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was your first video game? (Or the first ones per major generation)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First that I remember when my dad brought it home:
Pong.jpg
My family and I spent so many hours playing against each other... it was sooooo cool!!

First "computer" game was this that my Uncle & Aunt had when they visited us (not sure what system as it was one solid machine with a very small monochrome screen embedded in the case itself):
Zork I.jpg
It could have been adventure but we're talking over four decades remembering!

My 1st game on my 1st "computer" TI99/4a:
Tunnels of Doom.jpg
I still remember having to connect my cassette player each time. One night my brother, sister, cousin and I were going to play D&D but stopped and said, "We can play it on my computer!!" It was D&D but on a TV so you could see the action :lol:!! We all went and picked which color we would be and used the keyboard on our turn.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Similarly to mindx2, who is as ancient and fossilized as I am, I believe my first ever video game of any kind was Pong on the what-would-eventually-be-called the Atari 2600. This was in 1977 or 1978.

My first encounter with an RPG was Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord on a brand-new Apple ][+ in about 1980.

It's all been downhill from there.

spectre

Arcane
Didn't we have a thread like this? I remember posting this shit earlier.
Anyways, here it goes again...

First game ever, probably Moon Patrol on Atari. I remember breaking a joystick on it.
Came with a bunch of other stuff on the same bootleg cassette (that's how we rolled straight outta the iron curtain, there weren't even copyright laws before ~93),
including River Raid. The Atari period is a bit of a blur, tbh.

Next came the PC, and I remember that quite distinctly, because the three games (this time genuinely looking boxes, but you could never tell 100% sure) pretty much molded my
future gaming tastes: Dungeon Master, Subwar 2050 and Civilization.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Sonic R, distinctly remember not realising that you're supposed to race here and not just run around doing nothing.
The other earliest videogames i can remember are Captain Claw and this one

Played this one a lot together with my sister.

There was also another game i can barely remember anything about. It was 3D arena shooter, i think? The characters were cartoony fishes(?) or something ala worms, dual guns was one of the weapons. I remember it had one map that was spherical in form.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Just remembered another game which i doubt anyone ever heard about. Called 7 Wonders in russian.

This video is the only one i managed to find. Everything wanted you dead here, including droplets of water.

Reality

Learned
Dig Dug on a Namco plug and play.

Want to say it also included pac man, galaxian, rally x.

Hellraiser

Arcane
color tv. lucky. my parents had odd belief that consoles kill tv so only old black and white was allowed.
Oh yeah, "it'll wear down the tube". Are you ex-USSR or not? This myth was absolutely pervasive in ex-USSR. I wonder if it was international.
CRT burn-in which is most likely the origin of that thing (myself I heard about "vidya games breaking TVs" from my Grandfather) is a real thing, and with something like Pong or Atari games from before the age of screen scrolling on consoles, where a lot of the screen elements were static, it was a bigger issue. Or on arcade monitors that ran the demo/attract mode a lot or had static elements.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc8b86e16-46a0-460d-b423-5b56c0fde346_1200x1600.jpeg

rumSaint

Novice
The first game I remember was some kind of Atari game where you drop bombs from ship onto submarines (I guess) but I cannot remember name (not a Seaquest).

The games I have better memories of are:

River Raid

Keystone Kapers (who came up with this name wtf?!)

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I can vaguely recall some kind of Atari looking system, the C64 did have what looked like an atari joystick but I dont know if they were compatible. So if the Atari wasnt a figment of imagination I guess some kind of Pong, or watching my elder siblings play something, only remember the unit, kinda. Commodore 64? Fuck know what was the first game, I do remember many fond hours of Gauntlet with my sister, enough that she began hearing the pickup noises in her dreams, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Bruce Lee, Young Ones, Quartet, Barbarian: The Ultimate Warrior (there was a cheesy headchopping move I would abuse to no end), Manic Mansion, Hero of the Golden Talisman, Last Ninja and a whole host of other pirated games without any documentation. Cant pick any first game, just a first game system. For PC, that would have to be Wolf 3D on my friends computer, then when I managed to get a PC, it was a 286 that I had Das Boot, Solitaire and Leisure Suit Larry 6 on. After playing Command and Conquer at my brothers I had to upgrade.

I bet no one has ever made a thread like this, ever. Ahem.

What was the first video game you've ever played, on what system, and how old were you?

Mine was, as typical as it is, Super Mario Bros. on Nintendo. Everyone just called it a Nintendo. I was four years old, and I didn't know which Nintendo it was exactly (and I still don't), or how popular this game was or wasn't, but I played it so much that I started involuntarily making Mario noises and music even when I wasn't playing it. Tada-tada-tada. Tada-tada-tada. Tada-tadatata-tadatata-tadatadatatadatatadatatata. Tada-tada-tada.

My parents took away the console after that for a few months. I eventually got it back with a bunch of new cartridges that had tons of different games on them, including Duck Hunt, Bomberman, Super Contra, Robocop, a cool ninja game the name of which I don't remember (Cage? Kage? Kain? Kuga?), and one flying game with cool graphics that I had never been able to find again later. And many others. Was TMNT one of those first games, or was it on a later version of Nintendo? Probably a later generation. Oh, and Felix the Cat. And Sonic... wait, have I crossed over into Sega? Sega came later. Sega MegaDrive, technically, but everyone just called it a Sega.

As for the first 3D game... I don't remember the exact first one, but one of the very first ones was Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. It blew me away in so many different ways, I was never the same again. I played that one many years later, on Sony (PlayStation, but everyone just called it a Sony). And the first PC game was almost certainly Baldur's Gate. Or Thief. Or Star Warts: Dark Forces (hated it, it seemed so old and outdated). Or some crap that I forgot because it wasn't good.

But the very first game was definitely Mario. Your princess is in another castle.

Super Mario + Duck Hunt (same cart)

mastroego

Arcane
We did have this:

42.JPG

We had a few like this one.
No colors obviously, I later learned there were Amiga versions of several of these games, and such.

OK, clarification, that's just an image I found online, our copy was legit (I think?).
I was like 7 or 8, dad needed a PC for his work and was never a computer lover even after that.
The seller included a few games for the hell of it, I suppose.

We wouldn't have known the first thing about piracy, or even that it was a thing ;)

Beans00

Erudite
for consoles

super mario world(first overall)

that shitty duke nukem game on ps1 I bullied Ash off the codex over

max payne(ps2) or house of the dead 2(dreamcast) I can't remember which we got first. We got GC and Xbox after those two.

I can't even remember my first 360 game it all blends together. Maybe gears of war or quake 4, maybe call of duty 3.

Never got any console after 360/ps3.

First pc game was a shitty dungeon master clone called ishar 3. Mostly watched my dad play it. Fallout 1/diablo 1/heretic/doom/warcraft 2/command and conquer/homm 1 were the first games to make an actual impression on me. I can't remember the order I played them.

Krivol

Magister
I just realised my first video game was fucking Pong! No kidding here...

And I am not even that old, just polish

:negative:

(my dad bought a 'console' with pong - a silly-looking blue controller with the other - smaller - one attached to it - in Germany at some garage sale, Flohmarkt or whatever when I was maybe 4 years old in mid-80s)

It looked similar to this

Zlaja

Arcane
River Raid

This game is one of my earliest videogame childhood memories. It came pre-loaded with tons of other games on an Amiga (or some knockoff) my father bought for me. I thought most of the games were total crap, but this one was at least passable.

catfood

AGAIN
I don't remember. It was too long ago and I was too young. I know that it was on a Romanian ZX Spectrum clone. I can't remember the exact game that I first played EVAR but I do remember some names including Bruce Lee, Karateka, and Robin Hood.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FIRST GAMFES WERE SPACE BATTLE AND ASTROSMASH FOR THE INTELLIVISION

THEN I GOT A C64 AND SOME FRIEBD OF SOMEONE GAVE ME A BUNCH OF PIRATED DISC AND I GOT INTO PHANTASIE THREE

I CANNNT REMEMBER WHAT I LOVED FIRST ON THE C64 CAUSR I HAD LIKE 50 PLUS GAMES ALTHOUGH I PLAYED THE SHIT OUT OF BRUCE LEE

Machocruz

Arcane
This is the first video game I remember distinctly, that made an impression on me, I might have seen or played others at the arcade. A friend of mine showed it to me, don't remember if I actually got to play. Was memorable because you were in the dark, pretty immersive for the time and I already loved spooky shit.

So I credit this game with starting my interest in vidya. Castlevania on NES made it an obsession with its horror theme and mind-blowing music at the time.

First computer games were Oregon Trail and some monster laboratory game.

Arbiter

Scholar
Games on C64 and Atari computers owned by my classmates. I do not remember the exact order, but we certainly played Spy vs Spy, some racing game, a barbarian fighting game similar in concept to Street Fighter and a karate fighting game that allowed players to throw shurikens and to jump up and down to reach new rooms.

The first hardware I owned was SNES with all the classic games: Contra, Mario, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
1991 edition of Scorched Earth.

My dad, when he was working was an engineer, so he liked anything that simulated physics well on what was top of the line PCs, at the time. So he "bought" a diskette with the game for me. Obviously it was the pirated version of the game, as that was the only thing you could buy in 1992's Romania... but I absolutely loved every second.

I never ended up sharing my father's love for physics, but... I did play this game a lot with him. It's a lot of fun, especially if you play with someone that loves physics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom