Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What the Hell These Game Developers Did with Your Kickstarter Money

Norfleet

I imagine the -50k is the amount they have so far gone into debt working on the game, after they used up the 4k which obviously won't last long covering a couple of guys living expenses. 50k credit would be pretty easy to get spread over a few credit cards, or a mortgage or car loans or whatever.
Perhaps, but their failure to actually mention this leaves unanswered the actual question of where the money went. Anyone can speculate, but speculation doesn't answer the real question.

Considering that their claimed debt load exceeds the quantity of money they ever got in the first place, it REALLY doesn't explain how they had intended to do this on the given budget even without all the expenses listed. At 54K, even if they had gotten the entire pot, they still wouldn't have been able to do it.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Where? Because even Wall Street only asks for 2-4% when acting as a financial intermediary.
I should have used business transaction fees, they usually are applied to physical goods tho.
What business transaction fees? What businesses? Are you now talking about Visa? They charge a microscopic amount. Just be more specific, because it's a fucking ripoff.
All right, I was wrong.

It takes a big man to admit he's wrong....still fucking funny though.

Stabwound

Arcane
This is exactly why it's likely a losing bet to give your money to anyone other than a Fargo (Wasteland 2).

I feel like Banner Saga has about a 50% chance of ending up like this thing did. Hardcore Tactical Shitter definitely will.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Eh, I'd still prefer to throw money on a gamble for something I really want than on a sure thing I could do without. Whether the individual game comes out or not isn't as important as showing that the market is there. The best thing about the whole kickstarter thing is proving to all the retarded execs that have been telling people theres no market for turnbased/difficult/complex/2D games that they are wrong.

What you are saying is very true Norfleet. If they really wanted credibility in all of this they should have explained what the 50k has been used for, why they thought they could do it with only 20k originally, and how they still haven't been able to do it with over 80k.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
A pessimist might wonder how many other funded kickstarters had similar problems but are choosing not to reveal them.

kaizoku

Arcane
hi guise,

look who's back for more!
and they only need $100k this time
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-kickstart-part-2-the-pc-mac-space-adv

OP said:
Music - $6,000
Attorneys, startup fees, CPA - $4000
Poster art - $2000
iPads - $1000
PAX East - $3000
srly! wtf for each one of those!
so much defrauding... makes all of us wonder how it goes with other projects
it seems they're only able to advance with game development when they have no money

the only thing that would make me think about pledging was if they released a demo. and it would be a fucking decent game to play. I'll wait for it on GOG if it ever gets done and is a good game.

Kitako

Arcane
I don't understand. Shit happens, as giving money to people that can't manage it can happen, sucks to be you if you paid... life goes one.

But how can they get money AGAIN? What kind of imbeciles is paying them?

zeitgeist

Magister
Are you trying to say that "the dog ate our kickstarter money" is not a perfectly reasonable excuse and people should not be expected to double their donations to spite the very force majeure in question. Do you hate indie games. Are you The Man himself.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
game looks interesting. would pledge if I had the slightest faith in the devs. Which I don't. May buy on release if it gets good reviews. (And if it's actually released which it probably isn't)

Gord

Arcane
Guess it's only a matter of time until a project with lots of backers goes belly-up.
Either due to having been a scam all-along or simply due to bad luck.
This will produce a serious dent in Kickstarter's image, but it will probably be necessary eventually.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, goes to show you you can't necessarily trust this shit just because it got approved by Kickstarter. Like normal investments, there is a certain level of research to be expected.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Let me get this straight: Dudes do a kickstarter for a iOS/Android game, get nearly twice the money they wanted. Some time later, they admit to having blown all of it on unnecessary/overpriced crap, and to having racked up 50k in debt. The game is yet to be released. So, now, they come out with a brand new kickstarter, for 5x the initial amount, to "bring the game to PC and Mac".

I was skeptical when skyway kept talking about "pyramid schemes" in relation to kickstarter. Perhaps I might have underestimated his wisdom. And also the mind-blowing retardation of the people who are pledging money to this scam right now.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
the mind-blowing retardation of the people who are pledging money to this scam right now.

"sure I'm up for another pledge, I'm invested in the rollicking financial journey of this plucky underdog software developer"

I also imagine that mobile gaming audience is quite inured to additional transactions

all they need to do now is make it free to play with fees for instantly unlocking ship equipment, new crew skins and aliens with breasts

pledgers will recieve a pledge's worth in starter pack unlocks plus exclusive bullshit that doesn't mean a damn so it's all good

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I guess most of the current backers are not aware of the dev's earlier fiasco.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
One of their recent updates was about a guy who sent them a long, angry message about already having kickstarted this once.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Hey guys, guess what:
Shaun Quinn 1 day ago

While I support this project and to be honest aren't "freaked" out by delays for MY backing (of the PC version)..... I agree with the masses here... tell us when your going to miss a date BEFORE its gets here???? I'm also tired of hearing updates for the iOS version or android build on this board.... I didn't back that, but since you mention it so much (and yes I know it a "build" for the PC version) maybe you should tell us how much of OUR kickstarter money is obviously being used to "finish" that massively delayed project (and it makes me think there's nothing being done on the project I actually paid into). I wish I hadnt backed this and simply waited for a release... I mean come on, you havent even given THESE backers any updates on the digital freebees that we are supposed to get.

Your lack of any TRUE information SUCKS and you should be ashamed. I know I wouldn't treat people this way. I will never buy into any of your products or future kickstarters again.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ickstart-part-2-the-pc-mac-space-adv/comments

:hero:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Why soft launch? We are a first time release company for a game that has quite a bit of hype and with a large scope to boot. We currently have 17 missions, 10 races, tons of ships, classes etc.

9438011aj0u.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom