Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the Greatest Rpg that you have ever actually played

What is the Greatest Rpg series that you have ever actually played ?

• Fallout 1 & Fallout 2

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Elder Scrolls Morrowind , Daggerfall

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Fantasy series

• BG1 , BG2 , throne of baal

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • IWD 1 , 2

• Other series

• U aRe all noobs Diablo 1 ,2 rulez !

• I don't know

• None.All RPG suck .

• Total voters

Solohk

Scholar
For me it's Planescape. Easily. Once I got out of the mortuary and started exploring the Hive I was completely hooked. I could think of nothing else but Planescape until I beat it, and even after beating it, I thought about the game and its ending for a couple weeks afterward. No other game has had such an effect on me.

fastpunk

Arbiter
I'd be tempted to say Mask of the Betrayer since it's got more c&c and deeper char customization than Planescape: Torment, while also keeping the writing at almost PS:T levels. But eh, PS:T is just too darn good and more original, so PS:T it is. Though MotB comes in a close second.

mondblut

Arcane
Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures gave me more months of enjoyment per megabyte than any other RPG.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
And nobody has said Halo yet.

Actually, Ultima 7 (both parts) is the one RPG I would drop a decent chunk of change for an update.

Lothers

Scholar
The question should be: "What is the Greatest Rpg that you have ever actually played and why it's Fallout?" No, really... 2D - Fallout, 3D - Gothic. 2nd best are: P:T, BG, Ishar, Anachronox, The Witcher and many, many more ;)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If someone had made a CRPG based on space marines battling multi-headed dicks and if it included some of the excellent writing from those threads way back then and if that were an option in this poll and if I had more time then that's what I would've voted for.

But they haven't and it wouldn't and it isn't and I don't so I didn't.

SkeleTony

Augur
I voted Fallout 2(well...both Fallouts are stuck together so I voted for both) because the system/game mechanics are NOT AD&D crap but the decision would have been a lot easier if Fallout did not have the absolute WORST inventory/party management system ever devised.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
You know, I never had any problems with the inventory and party management. Except with them, especially that retarded Dogmeat dog moron retard asshole death machine, running into forcefields and killing themselves.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
fastpunk said:
I'd be tempted to say Mask of the Betrayer since it's got more c&c and deeper char customization than Planescape: Torment, while also keeping the writing at almost PS:T levels. But eh, PS:T is just too darn good and more original, so PS:T it is. Though MotB comes in a close second.
Nah, MotB might just be better than PS:T.

In MotB, the way you do a single quest can cascade down and influence every other quest in the game and opens up more options and quests. The only case of this in PS:T was the Stories-Bones-Tell. In MotB, the Devour Soul ability from the cannibal quest, the choice of creating One-As-Many, the choice of saving Okku, the choice of raising your spirit meter,.etc all drastically change quests in the game. That, and alignment, race, class,.etc also change dialogue options.

And MotB is more non-linear than PS:T because MotB has three plotlines and you can do as much as you want of any of them in any order, and it would all work towards changing the story. As a matter of fact, the game's story was as you made it; it was based on all the pieces you gathered on your own from various places.

But PS:T's edge might be in the fact that it has some superbly well hidden secrets in it. Though there were a good number of quests in PS:T which had only one way of being done, whereas disparate options are given in every MotB quest.

Radisshu

Prophet
Andyman Messiah said:
Old games go first. So vote Fallout.
But I heard fallout was technologically outdated!

Fallout would definitely have gotten my vote if you could CONTROL THE PARTY MEMBERS.
"Hello, I'm Marcus! I am now going to assist my sledgehammer-wielding friend Sulik in his fight with this wanamingo by BLASTING BOTH OF THEM APART WITH MY MINIGUN."

I definitely think BG2 has the best combat of them (sorry, tb-guys), even though Fallout's would have been the best if they had corrected that little mistake I mentioned earlier. I've got a hard time choosing the best setting, though, Torment or Fallout. Damn.

Mojo

Scholar
Darklands.

Funny thing is I've only started playing it last year. I never knew a sandbox rpg could be so deep. It's a masterpiece.

Quigs

Magister
Dogs of the vinyard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom