Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What happened to "mature" art direction? Everything is Overwatch now

Ash

Arcane
Gore is undoubtedly removed to be able to peddle their shit games to younger audiences legally, and perhaps avoid potential law involvement or mass condemnation (modern games have the potential to truly do shocking gore, they just don't do it).

Ash

Arcane
Doesn't bother me much either. I get bothered by the bearers of truth getting shat on. Because that's usually me :lol:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bitches shitting on based luj1

He's right, gore is significantly toned down. FPS then: gibbing and blood. Gruesome death animations. Eyeballs flying across the screen. FPS now: the dude ragdolls to the floor and that's it. If you're lucky there will be a blood decal, but most games no. Point blank shotgun blast to the head and nothing much comes of it. Nu Doom games are the only exception that comes to mind, but even then it has a comical & tame style to it.

Hack & Slash games then: cutting off body parts, beheadings, blood everywhere, brutal executions. Hack & Slash games now: Sekiro has no gore, a ninja game and you cant even behead people wtf? All Souls games and clones have no gore. New God of War has no gore. And so on and on. Only Dying Light comes to mind and it is quite tame, with minimal blood and impact, like new Doom.

Only one mainstream game comes to mind with actually detailed, impactful gore and that is The Last of Us 2, which only dullards will play that so it doesn't count.

Not that I really care about this particular subject much at all, but don't hate the guy for speaking truth. Typical.
Suuuure. No gore at all.

Dead Space 2023:

Mortal Kombat 1 (2023):

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2023):

And soon to come:

Blight:

Space Marine 2:

Ash

Arcane
To be fair to you Potato man, I am in 2006-2021 modern gaming headspace. Haven't played anything non-indie since then. Because it's almost all trash. The last AAA game I played was Ghost of Tsushima, another ninja-cross-samurai game with zero gore! Lack of gore does bother me there, in so-called "mature", realistic depictions of violence and savagery.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
It does, but it's awesome. In the same way it was awesome in those old badass action movies. You're probably too young to have seen those though.

Action movies are aggressively infantilized & feminized now too. RIP.

ind33d

Learned
There won't be Warcraft 4, they're not gonna spend six years and 200 million developing an old-school RTS that 3 million people end up buying, unless they're really desperate.

If W4 is ever happening it's gonna be a battle royale or pokemon-like or something that zoomers and chinks like en masse.
Warcraft IV will be an extraction shooter

jackofshadows

Magister
Gore is undoubtedly removed to be able to peddle their shit games to younger audiences legally, and perhaps avoid potential law involvement or mass condemnation (modern games have the potential to truly do shocking gore, they just don't do it).
Sometimes it's because they aren't going to allow you to dismember wymmins.

Ash

Arcane
I'd say serious gore in the industry ended with Manhunt (2003). A game that inspired some weirdo psycho to stealth kill bludgeon some random woman in an alleyway, and more importantly for greedy game companies was also banned in multiple countries (goodbye sales!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_(video_game)

Manhunt was subject to a significant video game controversy due to the level of graphic violence depicted, banned in several countries, and implicated in a murder by the UK media, although this accusation was later rejected by the police and courts.

Stellar game overall, I do recommend if you're not a deranged weirdo.

To be fair to you Potato man, I am in 2006-2021 modern gaming headspace. Haven't played anything non-indie since then. Because it's almost all trash. The last AAA game I played was Ghost of Tsushima, another ninja-cross-samurai game with fuck all gore! Lack of gore does bother me there, in so-called "mature", realistic depictions of violence and savagery.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The people defending this tonal transition, are, as always, ostensibly politically colored. They are defending it because in truth they are enjoying this new, vibrant, soft world which allows them to live conformist, cucked lives. A world where you don't have to stand up for yourself, you can just cancel people online and point fingers like a deranged woman. These are the same kinds of people who cut their finger on a knife and run to mommy.

Ash

Arcane
To be fair to you Potato man, I am in 2006-2021 modern gaming headspace. Haven't played anything non-indie since then. Because it's almost all trash. The last AAA game I played was Ghost of Tsushima, another ninja-cross-samurai game with fuck all gore! Lack of gore does bother me there, in so-called "mature", realistic depictions of violence and savagery.

What's this, a mod?

Anyway, aside from the head decapitation that is still basically zero gore lol.

Ash

Arcane
I played the whole mediocre game. And reviewed it on the cuckdex. In the review I believe I mentioned the complete lack of gore. Lets see.

So I checked my posts. I said "Brutally depicted gore, but there's no dismemberment system though". Sounds like a retarded contradiction. Well, I'm not perfect. Maybe I was referring to the events of the game, e.g some grim violent stuff happens in the story/cutscenes. But the actual visual depiction of it shows very little. You never once see anyone's guts and there isn't much blood, for instance, when in real life there's a lot of both. And yeah, there's no dismemberment. I don't even remember decapitations, possibly patched in. But whatever. Game has very little gore. That's a fact.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
overwatch-2-characters-heroes-4f0c865.jpg

OP, at least be thankful the girls can be cute in this style instead of the hideous androgynes, non-binaries and (if we're lucky) dumpy frumps that pass for females in most AAA games now. I remember playing AC: Valhalla a couple of years ago and wanted to see what the chick you could choose to play as looked like. She was the spitting image of the male actor who played Ivar The Boneless on Vikings.

911 Jumper

Educated
From the 2022 game Martha is Dead

I don't think there's anything specifically against depictions of gore and mature art. Isn't TLOU Part 2 gory? And that's a Sony flagship game with mature art direction. RE7? RE8? Those games have mature art styles and gore, don't they?

I'd say ugly art styles have more to do with bad taste, which is far more widespread, and the desire to express political attitudes through aesthetics than a specific rejection of mature art styles.

tritosine2k

Erudite
double whammy:
1. vidya is chock full of "artists" (second rate hipsters in practice)
2. grit is hard

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I like how gore is A-Ok, but women showing some titties and ass and BAM! Game is controversial, unsuitable for younger audiences (but gore is somehow alright) and all kinds of shit...
What the hell...

Hydro

Educated
It’s not about gore per se. Game may have a lot of gore, yet may still be whimsical e.g. BG3. Imo Fallout has the most mature feel to it, but it is not the artstyle alone that is responsible for this.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nudity can be perfectly natural.
Why is nudity and some boobs and ass here and there a problem, but gore, blood and violence isn't?

Tyranicon Perhaps you'd like to add something, mate?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
People are complaining that there is no gore in their Barbie games?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom