Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What happened to "mature" art direction? Everything is Overwatch now

ropetight

Savant
I refuse to ever touch Civilization 6 for the sole reason of it's cartoonish representation of history
Oh man how many times I tried to get into Civ6 over the years. I could get used to the map and units and everything else but every time I see those Disney Channel leaders I throw up and uninstall.
You can turn off their animations in the settings, it helps.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
People who enjoy fortnite graphic, no mature person detected.

GJ9A4IqXEAEOd1D

Looks like Billy and Johnny from Hale & Pace sketches.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The therapeutic effect of dino dungeree on white males from southern london should surely be investigated by a windrush genereation jamaican latinx woman with a hefty grand of 500k pound from british science ministry. Our society will not survive without it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The therapeutic effect of dino dungeree on white males from southern london should surely be investigated by a windrush genereation jamaican latinx woman with a hefty grand of 500k pound from british science ministry. Our society will not survive without it.
Just goes to show how important government funded research is. Projects like this could never find support on the unbridled free muhrket.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Although, come to think of it, didn't they get rid of the bloody corpses in Warcraft 3? Dead units just turn in to skeletons?
Nah

Cannibalize​

Consumes a nearby corpse to heal 16 hit points per second. It takes 20 seconds to fully consume a corpse.

Warcraft III had gore, but I doubt Warcraft IV will.

There is an agenda to make everybody soft and infantile. These euthanised, weak people will offer no resistance to the NWO.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The way Blizzard is going, I don't think there will be a Warcraft IV, honestly. Diablo IV is a bit of a shit show, but there's a lot of hope for Season IV from what I've seen. I don't know, I lost interest with "Live Service" even though I think Diablo II is one of the best games of the last three decades. At least, it was once they dropped the 1.10 patch that added synergies. Overwatch 2 is a shit show as well. Apparently they recently decided to stop development on the only reason to have made a sequel to Overwatch. I haven't played that one either, nor the first one, but it comes up a lot when someone is talking about Blizzard. There's Diablo Immortal, and I'm not sure how much it's raking in for the company, but I never hear anyone mentioning anything about it when they're talking about the current state of Blizzard. It wasn't developed by Blizzard, but I'm sure they get a cut of it. I never hear anyone mention Starcraft II, so I don't know if it just dropped off the radar or Blizzard just isn't involved in it still. I didn't play it either. I think we all know how well the remaster of Warcraft III went over.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There won't be Warcraft 4, they're not gonna spend six years and 200 million developing an old-school RTS that 3 million people end up buying, unless they're really desperate.

If W4 is ever happening it's gonna be a battle royale or pokemon-like or something that zoomers and chinks like en masse.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Well, the point wasn't whether there is going to be Warctaft IV or not. The point was that gradually all the gore and mature art is being replaced by fluffy, squeeky characters with big heads/eyes.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, the point wasn't whether there is going to be Warctaft IV or not. The point was that gradually all the gore and mature art is being replaced by fluffy, squeeky characters with big heads/eyes.
Ah, yes, we don't get enough gore in games!
deadisland2gore-1.jpg

Most popular games today are all about big heads/eyes.
0_Helldivers-2.jpg

So fluffy, so squeeky!
intro-1651512175.jpg

You don't play much these days, do you?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ah, yes, we don't get enough gore in games!

Well, it depends on what is "enough" for you. I think for sure there is an infantilization of media going on.
Try playing Cyberpunk 2077 with a katana build. Limbs will fly around. Use Gorilla arms or a rocket launchers if you still need more gore.

Some of the results can be found here:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/gore-system-appreciation-thread.11086165/

But its best to experience it in action.

And CP2077 was not some edgy indie production. It's one of the major hits of recent years.

And here is more gore, from another recent, successful game:

Gore can be found in games of today. And thanks to greater visual fidelity it's much more... gory than in the 90s.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
luj1 why do you rate my post 'citation needed' you mongoloid? I just gave you citations in a form of a link and a youtube video, which even you should be able to comprehend with your limited CPU power.

Hydro

Educated
Try playing Cyberpunk 2077 with a katana build. Limbs will fly around. Use Gorilla arms or a rocket launchers if you still need more gore.
This is just exaggerated violence pushed to the levels of it being cartoony and ridiculous. Doesn’t have anything to do with “mature” tones.

Ash

Arcane
Bitches shitting on based luj1

He's right, gore is significantly toned down. FPS then: gibbing and blood. Gruesome death animations. Eyeballs flying across the screen. FPS now: the dude ragdolls to the floor and that's it. If you're lucky there will be a blood decal, but most games no. Point blank shotgun blast to the head and nothing much comes of it. Nu Doom games are the only exception that comes to mind, but even then it has a comical & tame style to it.

Hack & Slash games then: cutting off body parts, beheadings, blood everywhere, brutal executions. Hack & Slash games now: Sekiro has no gore, a ninja game and you cant even behead people wtf? All Souls games and clones have no gore. New God of War has no gore. And so on and on. Only Dying Light comes to mind and it is quite tame, e.g they are zombies and so don't react with terror and screaming in pain, and it sort of has a comical look to it like Nu Doom.

Only one mainstream game comes to mind with actually detailed, impactful gore and that is The Last of Us 2, which only dullards will play that so it doesn't count.

Not that I really care about this particular subject much at all (a little), but don't hate the guy for speaking truth. Typical.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Bitches shitting on based luj1

He's right, gore is significantly toned down. FPS then: gibbing and blood. Gruesome death animations. Eyeballs flying across the screen. FPS now: the dude ragdolls to the floor and that's it. If you're lucky there will be a blood decal, but most games no. Point blank shotgun blast to the head and nothing much comes of it. Nu Doom games are the only exception that comes to mind, but even then it has a comical & tame style to it.

Hack & Slash games then: cutting off body parts, beheadings, blood everywhere, brutal executions. Hack & Slash games now: Sekiro has no gore, a ninja game and you cant even behead people wtf? All Souls games and clones have no gore. New God of War has no gore. And so on and on. Only Dying Light comes to mind and it is quite tame, with minimal blood and impact, like new Doom.

Only one mainstream game comes to mind with actually detailed, impactful gore is The Last of Us 2, and only dullards will play that so it doesn't count.

Not that I really care about this particular subject much at all, but don't hate the guy for speaking truth.
Soldier of Fortune...
:obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom