Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What games did you complete in 2023?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's pretty hard to write a list of finished games.

HoI4 - pre tank designer version. Frankly I'm far better designer than Paradox developers and when I see crap that is theirs tank designer... C'mon. You made CRAP ship designer, didn't improve it in a patch, and then they rewrote text to use it as a tank designer. It's crap. Paradox look at Warship gunner II ship designer. Can you see it? For company as big as Paradox making ship designer like that should be trivial. Also ship combat every hour we would roll dice between 0 to 1 to find if we got under 0.003, Yea sure if you had 100000 ships engaging left and right you might have some abstraction. But considering HoI4 is actually somehow simulating real ship building and fuel costs constraints, even US has about 6 big carriers, and HoI ignores horde of coast patrol ships and random fishing boat. Thus WTF is with trying to simulate stuff by using an extremely simple abstract math equation?

SC WaW modded to make UK and US realistically resistant against surrendering. When you play as Germany it's quite harsh because Germany has fuck all economy. (It also shows why WWII strategy games NEED dynamic AI, because when player uses a non optimal strategy, like not occupying some countries and losing MPP because of that scripted AI falls apart.)

Overlord. I didn't finish it on purpose because end game sucks.

Dr1f7

Scholar
can't believe anyone actually made it through WoTR, game sucks shit from the start

Kaivokz

Arcane
:5/5:
The Last Spell - Tactical squad based game with lots of different builds. I only lost one fight, but I clocked 70 hours into it so I took my time playing through each battle.

:4.5/5:
The Messenger - Platformer. Good music, fun platforming, charming story.
Across the Obelisk - Co-op roguelike deckbuilder. Favorite game to play with my wife this year. The story / world is a bit cheesy and silly (it is almost a parody of World of Warcraft--a large wolf named Yogger, the gnomes look the same, some of the card names are even exactly the same as WoW abilities), but I enjoy it for the gameplay. We still have a lot of characters to unlock, but we've beaten the final boss a few times.
Everhood - Rhythm (battle) game. Good music. Story and world are a bit weird--almost like an anti-Undertale--but again I enjoyed it for the gameplay and visuals.

:4/5:
Dungeon Drafters - Roguelike deckbuilder. Lots of fun combos and ways to break the game. A little janky.
We Were Here Together - Co-op puzzle game. Very similar to the first game. Played with my wife.
Caves of Lore - Great classic style CRPG. Exploration is the high point. The only reason it gets 4 stars from me is that the combat is (1) too frequent and (2) not very fun.
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - Puzzle adventure. Silly story, but charming graphics and characters.
Inscryption - Roguelike card game. Some clever twists, but the middle portion of the game dragged it down for me.
Robo Quest - Co-op FPS roguelike. Played with a friend. Controls are fluid and feel good to play. Build variety is lacking, which is why I've placed it at 4 trolls.
Deepest Chamber Resurrection - Roguelike deck-builder. Fun character combos and increasing the difficulty added more bosses, which I enjoyed. I believe I beat the final boss (it required collecting a few items across runs). A little on the easy side.

:3/5:
Cthulhu Saves the World - Parody JRPG. Not bad, not great. Fun to kill a few afternoons.
Steamworld Heist - First game in the Steamworld universe I played. Felt a bit like an old flash game, but has nice variety of character classes. Level design was lacking.

:1.5/5:
Trails in the Sky: FC - JRPG. Not a fan. Story is slow (SLOW) and the payoff is teenage angst drama. Expected a lot more, which might play into why I have such a negative perception of it. A very vanilla JRPG with boring characters (the villains are the most interesting). The atmosphere is "cozy" and the music is fine, but that's all it has going for it as far as I'm concerned.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I understand why you wouldn't finish it but why make it to 50 hours? Amalur doesn't change much from beginning to end. After 10 you must have known if it was worth continuing or not. I was interested in the DLC stories but the game is such a slog some times I never went deeply into them.
I really wanted to play a new RPG of this type and kept hanging onto hope that it will get better.

It didn't.
Important correction: I had vastly over-estimated my playtime of Amalur. I had only put 25 hours into this game. It only felt like 50 hours.

Gregz

Arcane
Kotor 2: :5/5::2/5:
Modded it on my phone. It ran like a dream. It was an odd game to play in a hospital while my father was fighting heart disease and we were all fearing the worst. But he made it out, and I beat K2 the day of his discharge. I have no nostalgia for the fear, but I'm slightly wistful about the cozy late nights in his hospital room listening to Kreia wax philosophical.

Genuine cool story, thanks for sharing.

Lagi

Savant
Far lone sails and Far changing ties
Game similar to Limbo. Thouse are not games really, but cinematic experiences. Anyway they leave long lasting inpression inside me.
maxresdefault.jpg

Char_name

Novice
The Fall
Frostpunk
Inside
Limbo
Pillars of Ethernity + The Withe Marche (P1 & P2)
Rage 2
Ring of Pain (not sure to count this one as completed, 1 succesful run to the end)
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator (only 1 ending)
Stasis
Total War: Warhammer (only 1 campaign)
Wolfenstein: the new order
XCOM: enemy Unknown

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom