Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What games did you complete in 2023?

In order of playing, I'll just bold games that landed in personal classic territory:

Astra Superstars
Nier Replicant
Nier Automata
Goldeneye 007 (unreleased Xbox 360 remaster)
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
Progear
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Ryse: Son of Rome
Kururin Squash!
God of War: Ascension
Dante's Inferno
Spider-Man 2 (2004, Xbox)
Ultimate Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man: Miles Morales
The Amazing Spider-Man 1
Captain America: Super Soldier
The Last of Us
Guardian Heroes
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
Tekken Tag Tournament
Contra: Hard Corps
Mortal Kombat 1 (Amiga)
Spider-Man: Edge of Time
Mortal Kombat 1 (Switch)
Golden Axe: The Duel
Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem
God of War 4
Final Fight Revenge
Deadpool
Asura's Wrath
Spider-Man 3 (PC, ok I couldn't beat Sandman because of bug that prevents triggering final stage)
Spider-Man (Neversoft, 2000)
Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
King of Fighters XII
Soul Calibur 4
Bloody Roar 1
Bloody Roar Extreme
Ninja Warriors
Red Alert 2
Spider-Man 3 (PS2, entirely different game than PC/PS360 version)
Spider-Man: The Movie
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Juggernaut hack)
Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge
Bloody Roar 3
Bloody Roar 4
Tobal No. 1
Tobal 2

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Astlibra :5/5: Very entertaining side-scrolling RPG / Metroidvania
Yakuza Like a Dragon :5/5: A Yakuza Game with TB rpg party mechanics? Awh god itz heavan
Geneforge: Mutagen :4/5: Had great fun with it, good remake, an improvement over the original.
Elden Ring :4/5: Open world Dark Souls. It's very good but I prefer closed world Dark Souls.
Resident Evil 2 :4/5: Excellent remake. Probably the last REmake I'll play, since I don't care about RE shooter games.
Mark of the Ninja :4/5: Cool stealthy side-scrolling Metroidvania (?)
Darkness Within :4/5: Atmospheric, Lovecraftian FP adventure game.

Spike

Educated
Astlibra :5/5: Very entertaining side-scrolling RPG / Metroidvania
Yakuza Like a Dragon :5/5:A Yakuza Game with TB rpg party mechanics? Awh god itz heavan
Geneforge: Mutagen :4/5: Had great fun with it, good remake, an improvement over the original.
Elden Ring :4/5: Open world Dark Souls. It's very good but I prefer closed world Dark Souls.
Resident Evil 2 :4/5: Excellent remake. Probably the last REmake I'll play, since I don't care about RE shooter games.
Mark of the Ninja :4/5: Cool stealthy side-scrolling Metroidvania (?)
Darkness Within :4/5: Atmospheric, Lovecraftian FP adventure game.
Darkness Within description intrigued me (the other games I already either own or have on WL excepting Astlibra). I go to Steam to look it up, only to see I own not one but both games. Uh...Huh? I don't remember buying them lol. Oh well! More kino for me.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
For the first time, or in general? Ok, let's assume it's any game I've finished in 2023:

Dark Souls 3: 7/10

Elden Ring: 7/10

Bloodborne: 9/10

Resident Evil 2 remake: 8/10

Resident Evil 4 remake: 9/10

Hogwarts Legacy: 10/10

Dragon Age Inquisition: 4/10

Lies of Poo: 5/10

Spyro remake: 3/10

Hitlerman 1 (the new one): 3/10

Dishonorable mentions:

Nioh 2: 0/10 (dropped out of sheer boredom and confusion after the tutorial)

Kingdoms of Amalur: 1/10 (really wanted to like this one, gave up after 25 hours or so)

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
WH40k Boltgun- boomer shooter, that's there to say? 3/5
Gothic 1 and 2 with mods. Played around 20-30 each playthrough and finished maybe once for each?
Ion Maiden - Aftershock 4/5
Dark Souls 2 SotFS - 3/5, currently playing pre-Scholar version on rPcS3 and it's much better.
Dark Souls 3 - 4/5 you can tell it was PS3/X360 era game with the colors alone.
HROT - 4/5 should watch Robocop again so I didn't need to google how2beat that robot at the end.

Not much - most gaming is with Path of Exile, Stalker mods (mostly GAMMA and Escape from Pripyat) and trying to reach 3rd difficulty and new DLC in Titan Quest... so far none of my builds worked.
Discovered that emulators for PS3 and X360/XboX are at fine stage - seems like 2024 will be mostly games from that era. Already got RDR and Demon's Souls set and running.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Kingdoms of Amalur: 1/10 (really wanted to like this one, gave up after 50 hours or so)
I understand why you wouldn't finish it but why make it to 50 hours? Amalur doesn't change much from beginning to end. After 10 you must have known if it was worth continuing or not. I was interested in the DLC stories but the game is such a slog some times I never went deeply into them.

Monster Hunter: World
A lot like Demon's souls and Stalker, this was a really tough nut to crack. The game is obtuse to it's own detriment and massively needs to improve it's tutorial system. A friend helped me get into it and I've really enjoyed the game since, but getting there was rough. Concept is great, gameplay is pretty good and I would recommend it IF you're okay with using guides to understand basic functions like eating, buff items to carry and even your actual weapon abilities since the ingame tutorials are bad or straight up wrong/missing. I would recommend this to people interested in a challenge able to look past 2 decades of bullshit the fanbase excuses and throws a bitch fit over even minor improvements.

Souldiers
One of the best Metroidvanias I've ever played. Feels like a SNES game with graphics on part with Trials of mana. I really enjoyed this and would highly recommend it to any one.

Bleak Faith: Forsaken
Early access souls like that was an utter mess at launch when I played it. Visual style is really interesting (it rips off Blam!) and it's got a lot of soul to it. Not going to recommend it because it was a broken janky mess when I played it and I haven't kept up with the updates. The devs were very open to improving the game but I don't know what they did. If you like jank games and want to risk it, there's worse jank out there.

Crab Champions
You're a crab with a shotgun. High speed crab action roguelike with an upbeat soundtrack and lots of fun upgrades. Recommend if you like crabs or shooting things.

Gato Roboto
Small, cute metroidvania that does everything well but isn't special. Would recommend for a few hours fun on a rainy afternoon.

The past within
2 player coop puzzle game with no internet connection needed. Each player starts their game and chooses future or past. They then work together solving puzzles and discovering clues to solve the puzzles in the opposite version and reveal the story. Has some creepy elements here and there if you like horror. I thought it was pretty good and I enjoyed the coop experience.

Darq
Tim Burton makes a weird point and click style puzzle game. It has some interesting mechanics and visuals. I enjoyed it but I'm neutral on it mostly.

Blasphemous 2
Loved this from start to finish. Excellent game, feels great to play and it ends before becoming tedious like some Metroidvanias. Would call it my game of the year.

Pokemon S/V
It's modern pokemon. It kind of sucks. The final area is really fun to explore but the rest isn't. Mediocre out of 10.

Pokemon Infinite Fusion
Fire red fangame remake where you merge 2 pokemon together. It's basically what if Pokemon was Digimon with a slightly expanded gen 1 game to play in. It's one of the best pokemon experiences you can find but it's still pokemon so you know if you want to play this or not.

I played other games like Trepanga 2, Fallen order and such but I never finished them. They were fun but the final slog wasn't worth it.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I understand why you wouldn't finish it but why make it to 50 hours? Amalur doesn't change much from beginning to end. After 10 you must have known if it was worth continuing or not. I was interested in the DLC stories but the game is such a slog some times I never went deeply into them.
I really wanted to play a new RPG of this type and kept hanging onto hope that it will get better.

It didn't.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Alice: Madness Returns
Batsugun Saturn Tribute Boosted
Dead Space (360 version) (replay)
Elden Ring (replay) Full Strength Greatshield & Lordsworn Greatsword build
Hollow Knight (replay)
Steamworld Dig
SturmFront - The Mutant War
Tormented Souls (replay)

and about two dozen others I didn't finish.

Last edited:
Monster Hunter Rise (well, I didn't 100% it of course but I played about 100 hours, close enough for me)
Cocoon
The Blackwell adventure games (got them for a pittance on a bundle)

I play less and less every year. I think the only game I'll finish next year will be Dragon's Dogma 2.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Is Cocoon worth it?
I heard it's from the Limbo devs (meh), but quite a good puzzle game?
I'm somewhat on the brink.
The lack of textures is also a bit of a turn-off, since it's often sold as "art-style" when it's in fact nothing more than a cost-saving measure.

Modron

Arcane
I heard it's from the Limbo devs (meh), but quite a good puzzle game?
Oh so that's why the game awards people were slobbering over it, I hadn't heard of it before that.
The lack of textures is also a bit of a turn-off, since it's often sold as "art-style" when it's in fact nothing more than a cost-saving measure.
Somehow the autists over on steam massed enough votes to get it into the finalists for the best graphical style award over there. :honk:

Is Cocoon worth it?

I liked it well enough. There's no narrative and the game isn't pretentious. I liked the minimalist look and I think it worked pretty well for the game. Some of the stages are a trip and feel like the inside like a Roger Dean YES album cover.

It's also short (took me something like 5-6 hours from beginning to end) which is a huge plus in my book as I lose patience very quickly these days. The puzzles are mostly variations on the same theme but the developers managed to keep it fresh by adding new elements regularly.

It's definitely much, much better than Limbo.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Sounds like a sale-candidate somewhere down the road.
Thanks!

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Desctuctivator 2.
It's a sequel to an old browser game, and much like it, it's a difficult platformer with shitty retro graphics. It's pretty good if you like this sort of things. The original felt more focused with smaller levels and no vehicle sections (those aren't very good), but the sequel has more environmental hazards and boss battles.

Pilgrims
A very short adventure game from the makers of the Samorost series. It's fun, looks gorgeous, but is 1-2h long.

I replayed Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, with all the DLC this time. It's not amazing, but I'm again positively surprised how solid the game is.
Played some Wrath of the Righteous and Knights of the Chalice 2, haven't finished either, both are good, I want to finish them eventually, but I had long breaks from playing and probably will want to start over. Maybe next year.:negative:

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Completed? Barely any.

Blacksad
You can feel it buckling under technical duress. Blacksad became a lot better after it [structurally] turned into this on-rails affair and less "cumbersomely navigate levels getting stuck on every object and fight loading screens". I'm not sure if I enjoyed playing it THAT much beyond ties to the source material as it was an awkward reminder of those days when adventure games were figuring out how they would work on consoles as far as control schemes went. Blacksad obviously subscribes to the Telltale formula and makes me wish devs used the deduction system better. Or at least had proper puzzles. End result is a murder mystery that just barely edges into my good graces because I liked the familiar setup.​

Eiyuden Rising: Chronicles
Metroidvania-lite and meant to serve as appetizer for developer's upcoming JRPG. Step into the shoes of our intrepid trio lead by a noble Scavanger CJ as they embark to not only find the Giant Lense, treasure above all treasures, but also restore a troubled village of New Nevaeh along the way. Restore? Well, as you repeatedly go to same few dungeons over and over again people will also open up shops in the village, and CJ is there to facilitate. Side action combat with one attack button per-character, basic statistics alterable by upgradeable gear and Rune Lenses to spice up your attacks elementally form the basics of a game that well overstays its welcome due to numerous side missions.​

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Tackling the fundamentals of JRPG and somehow clinging to them while simultaneously doing plenty differently. Endless war between Bionis and Mechonis rages on as our hero Shulk researches the ancient sword Monado until the latter seemingly chooses him to end the status quo. As story of Homs survival is seen through, our party venture across vast zones, get mired in endless quests you'll be tempted to skip all along fighting enemies in real-time with cooldown-based abilities. Not even equipment showing on characters, conveniences like fast travel or emotionally packed story could get me to overlook game's questionable pacing or sudden revelation reserved for the very ending, though.​

Assassin's Creed Origins
Left me rather lukewarm and I don't think it's my expectations that are to blame. What we got feels more like a sidegrade than a momentous shift in design Ubisoft touted as they proclaimed this as their proud entry to the action RPG arena. Bayek's mission of revenge to track down his son's killers, birth of the Assassins as we know them and exploration of Ancient Egypt has left Origins with one hat too many to balance. Add to that a combat overhaul, reduction of parkour's traditional importance and “built for longevity” warehouses of loot to sort through may not be everyone's favorite combination given what we've come to expect, but I think stellar presentation, solid story when it clicks and sheer size of the game will ensure it holds your attention for a while.​

There were also some other smaller or free games I couldn't really bother to write a blurb for:
PIGBLUE
Regenesis
Green Reaper
Vampire: The Masquerade - Out for Blood
Hank: Straightjacket
Draugen
Minecraft: Story Mode - Season Two
Stillwater

Suicidal

Arcane
First playthroughs:

Pathfinder: WOTR :5/5::3/5: - Similarly to Kingmaker, it starts off very strong but goes on too long for its own good and fighting endlessly copypasted hordes of the same handful of demons becomes boring. I enjoyed the Midnight Isles roguelike mode more than the main campaign.

Age of Wonders :5/5::3/5: - Played the campaign for the first time. Game is still very fun and has a lot of charm and its campaign has the best structure in the series, however the campaign missions themselves were not very good and having played some of the later entries in the series this one felt a bit too simplistic.

Age of Wonders 2 :5/5::4/5: - Great game, but the campaign is worse than in 1. Made pretty much obsolete by Shadow Magic.

Sorcerer King :5/5::1/5: - Weird 4X where the entire campaign is 1 ultra long map. Starts of interesting but like most 4X games the late game turns become a boring slog.

Undecember :4/5::0/5: - A shittier Path of Exile on mobile. Played co-op with a friend. There were some things I liked about the game but overall it was pretty boring and felt like shovelware.

Brave Fencer Musashi :5/5::2/5: - This year I decided to play a bunch of old console games I remember playing as a kid, a sort of nostalgic trip down memory lane. I remembered HATING this game. Turns out, I was simply too young and retarded to appreciate it. It's a pretty unique 3D action RPG-metroidvania where most of the challenge is figuring out how to explore the map and solve puzzles. You can steal the abilities of most enemies in the game and they can be used in combat but usually their primary use is in puzzle solving and opening the way forward. I guess my drooling 10-year old self just wanted to shoot and kill stuff instead of actually thinking a little that's why I used to hate it. It does have some issues - the combat is a bit shallow, the platforming challenges become far too obnoxious for my liking and the final boss can choke on my balls. Still, would recommend to people unaware of it to check it out. You can emulate it with a PS1 emulator.

Paper Sorcerer :5/5::1/5: - Pretty cool Wizardry 4 inspired dungeon crawler. You play as a villain and your party consists of various summoned monsters, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, it's very buggy and there are some glaring design flaws, like having access to a small subset of your bestiary per playthrough, that get in the way of having fun.

Witcher 2 :5/5::1/5: - Cool movie, but pretty shit game.

Romancing Saga 2 :5/5::4/5: - Very unique JRPG that was ahead of its time. You play as an immortal emperor who reincarnates every X years and over a long period of time you lead your country to prosperity and hunt down the villains. Unlike most JRPGs that lead you from cutscene to cutscene, this one is very open and has minimal hand holding. You're free to go in any direction you want, although some zones only open up when enough time passes. This game has the best city building component I've every seen in an RPG because it's very closely linked with the core gameplay. Your empire feels like the actual player character, because depending on your choices in various quests and how well you explore the world, your available retinue of soldiers you can take on missions, skills, spells and equipment grows. My main complaints are the inability to change your party without dying and the obtuseness of some of the game mechanics.

Strange of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin :5/5::3/5: - Enjoyed this game way more than I thought I would and it's now my favorite Final Fantasy game (the only other one that I played is 7). Fuck Chaos, all my homies hate Chaos.

Jagged Alliance :5/5::1/5: - Wanted to play JA2, but then I realized that I've never played 1 so I decided to try it. While I enjoyed it, there were a lot of things about it that annoyed and bored me. The combat mechanics have a good amount of depth, but the actual combat consists mostly of fighting in samey looking forests where sometimes you need 20 turns to find the last cunt hiding behind some tree in the corner of the map. Variety of different weapons and equipment is very small. The game is also increidbly difficult but not in a fun way. It is very easy to lose soldiers (sometimes just entering an adjastened enemy sector is enough because you can get shot and bombarded with grenades as soon as you enter before you even get a turn) and you get penalized for losing them harder than in modern XCOM games, because other soldiers will be less likely to want to be hired, and the higher tier ones are the ones who are the most critical of your performance, and you need to have them to have any chance of doing anything in the late game. Even simply changing your team composition (something you tend to do a lot in most tactical games) can lead to dire consequences, as your roster is very small, so you have to fire people to get better people, but when you fire people you have a chance to piss off other soldiers. I lost almost my entire team before the final few missions because I fired a couple of low tier shitters, which caused some of my best mercs to complain and leave with them, so I had to hire the least bad replacements which made the few final sectors a boring, nightmarish slog with tons of save scumming. I still had fun with the game and it does have a lot of charm, but no amount of Solid Snake-sounding guy reading aloud every item description can compensate for tedious gameplay.

Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games :5/5::0/5: - Fixes some of my issues with JA 1 (bigger variety of equipment, easier to fire and re-hire soldiers) but introduces a slew of new ones to compesnate, on top of removing the global map strategic layer. Now you just pick missions from a list. Also every one of them has a timer and sometimes it's incredibly tight, so tight you have to use cheese strats to do the mission in time. Meh.

Control :5/5::0/5: - Doom 3's spiritual successor I never knew existed. This game at least has better shooting and map exploration and some of the traversal powers are fun to use.

SMT: Strange Journey :5/5::3/5: - Cool dungeon crawler in the SMT series. For those who don't know, SMT is a very old JRPG franchise that's like Pokemon, but instead of enslaving colorful animals you enslave various gods and legendary creatures from real world religions and myths. I think this sort of gameplay mixes pretty well with a traditional blobber because while your overall strength keeps increasing, your party comp changes constantly so you get to try a lot of different things in 1 playtrhough. Still, I feel like this game is a bit too long for its own good, towards the end I was waiting for it to be over. I wish there was a bigger variety of dungeon gimmicks, I feel like I've seen all of this stuff already but the numbered door puzzles on the last floors were cool.

Far Cry :5/5::0/5: - My first Far Cry game. Starts off as a good semi-realistic open-ended shooter but gradually turns into a mess of bugs, shit design decisions and technical ineptitude. I was reminded a lot of Crysis (both in the gameplay and how the game also turns to shit as it goes own) and was surprised to learn that both were made by the same dev, before they handed the franchise over to Ubisoft.

Diablo 2 - Median XL :5/5::1/5:. Diablo 2 mod that adds a lot of new content and changes pretty much every skill in the game. Was interesting to experience but at this point it's hard for me to stomach Diablo gameplay. Some of the things they do also don't work very well on Diablo's crusty old engine, so you get stuff like a boss spawning instant kill damage zones in the room, but if he spawned them before you enter the room, you can't see them, so you get oneshot by invisible shit.

Replays:

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic :5/5::5/5: - My favorite AoW game and possibly my favorite turn based strategy game of all time. It sucks that the campaigns are so short but the missions are actually quite elaborate, more so than they have ever been in the series.

Age of Wonders 3 :5/5::4/5: - I think after all the updates and DLCs, this is my 2nd favorite AoW. The combat and city building is the best they've ever been in the series, but I dislike some of the changes like reducing army stack size from 8 to 6 and nerfing the shit out of magic. Campaign missions are actually quite good, but the campaigns are fucking tiny and also they give you a new faction almost every mission so you don't feel the progression between missions. It sucks that AoW 1 is the only AoW with a proper lengthy campaign with persistent progression between missions.

Dune 2 :5/5::0/5: - Aged like milk, but I can't be too hard on the great grandfather of one of my favorite genres.

Armored Core: Master of the Arena :5/5::0/5: - Old AC game I played as a kid and decided to replay to determine if I should give a shit about AC 6. The answer was no. Game is mediocre. Building your robot and fighting in the arena is fun for a bit but campaign missions are terrible with like 5 different enemies and samey looking maps. I'm sure AC6 is better thant this so I'll play it some day when it's very cheap.

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds :4/5::0/5: - Age of Empires with a Star Wars skin. Basically no reason to ever play it other than nostalgia. It's annoying how many missions in the campaign don't feature base building in a game where microing individual units is not fun in the slightest.

Grand Theft Auto 1 :4/5::0/5: - Remember when GTA was a wacky top down arcadey shooter instead of a serious realistic crime drama? Unfortunately GTA 1 feels more like a tech demo than a proper game because everything works and controls like shit.

Grand Theft Auto 2 :5/5::2/5: - A proper fun game made from GTA 1's base. Shame that the series lost its vibe of wacky over the top violence in the sequels that Saints Row tried to preservre until it became TOO retarded.

__scribbles__

Educated
Age of Decadence - Interesting setting, decent combat and writing. - :5/5::2/5:

Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura - It's Arcanum. - :5/5::5/5:

Arx Fatalis - Really good single-character dungeon crawler that definitely lives up to the expectations set by Ultima Underworld in my mind. Sure, it has some flaws and a lot of jank, but when this game is at its best it's almost unrivalled. - :5/5::3/5:

Baldur's Gate - Can't rate it. I really like some aspects and hate others, and my experience was constantly fluctuating between really enjoyable and dreadful.

Bastion - Fun little short hack-n-slash experience. Narrator was annoying but good for what it was and I don't regret the time I spent on it. - :5/5::1/5:

Cruelty Squad - Extremely weird but very enjoyable, unless the graphics give you a headache. - :5/5::3/5:

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - Good exploration, quest design, and combat. I think the latter half of the game could be more difficult though, the final battle is a major difficulty spike. Also easy to play and get into, more so than almost every other pre-Fallout RPG. - :5/5::4/5:

Deus Ex - It's Deus Ex. - :5/5::5/5:

Gothic - Great setting, immersion and progression. Good stuff. - :5/5::4/5:

KOTOR - Clear downgrade from the IE games. Decent for a classic Star Wars experience but I'd rather just watch the OT. - :4/5::0/5:

KOTOR 2 - Good for what it is. - :5/5::1/5:

The Legend of Zelda - It's fun. Nothing special but good exploration. - :5/5::2/5:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Great soundtrack and setting, story was interesting and combat decent with the agris fix. - :5/5::3/5:

Shadowrun Returns - Feels too long despite being less than 10 hours. Only finished it because it was short and I owned it. - :4/5::0/5:

System Shock 2 - Von Braun is amazing, rest ranges from mediocre to awful. - :5/5::3/5:

Temple of Elemental Evil - Full party creation, isometric, turn-based. Good stuff. - :5/5::3/5:

Ultima: The First Age of Darkness - Not really sure why I finished this. Fairly impressive for a 43 year old game but not actually enjoyable to play IMO. - :2/5::0/5:

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss - Weak combat and character systems, great everything else. - :5/5::3/5:

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - Excellent writing and atmosphere. Rest ranges from acceptable to awful. - :5/5::1/5:

Wasteland - Good exploration and combat. Great atmosphere, too. - :5/5::3/5:

Overall a better year than last.
Added Arx Fatalis. There's something really intriguing about that very small group of single-character dungeon crawlers populated by games like System Shock 2 and Ultima Underworld, and Arx is a worthy addition to that subgenre.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I ACTUALLY KEPT TRACK INCLUDES REPLAYS I PLAY OLD SNES NES GENESIS SHIT ALL THE TIME

MONSTER HUNTER RISE BROS BUT ONLY STORY SO NOT REALLY

Forgone

Atomic heart

Wo Long

Black

Neir Automata

Contra 3

LIES OF P

El Pollo Diablo

Educated
Roughly in the order of playing. Started a year with some classics I never actually played before, bought a new machine in the second half of the year and caught up with some of the AAA releases I missed.

Dreamweb (1994) :4/5: A solid old-school adventure game, if a bit on the short side. Be prepared that some interactable object might not pop up too clearly from the background, but still perfectly manageable without a walkthrough.

Master of Magic / Caster of Magic (1994) :4/5: I'm not usually into 4X games, but this was pretty good I have to admit.

The Legend of Kyrandia: Book Three - Malcolm's Revenge :3/5: I played this one before but never properly finished it. It's OK but IMO weakest of the Kyrandia games.

Tails of Iron :3/5: OK 2D soulslike/metroidvania if a bit linear.

Not Another Weekend :4/5: A decent recent adventure game, as far as recent adventure games go. Would love if it was more open but I liked the premise and the puzzles aren't too trivial.

Heroes of Might and Magic 2 + All expansion campaigns :4/5: It's a classic but I still like HoMM3 more.

The Adventures of Batman & Robin (SNES) :3/5: It's a SNES platformer, not much to write about.

Patrick's Parabox :5/5: A pretty good puzzler with some mind-bending puzzles. If you liked Baba Is You, this is a good game to try.

The World Next Door :1/5: Well this is just horrible. The gameplay itself is fine but there is very little of it and the game feels unfinished.

Tetris Effect :3/5: IDK it's Tetris.

Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered :3/5: I prefer the Arkham games, but maybe I just prefer the darker Batman setting to happy happy Marvel superheroes.

Return to Monkey Island :2/5: It's OK for a modern-day adventure game, but it's a horrible Monkey Island game.

God of War (4) :4/5: Pretty solid combat if played on the higher difficulty settings.

Ghosts n’ Goblins (NES, Arcade) :4/5: Got it to a point where I could complete the NES version in a single sitting and could 1-credit-clear the arcade version (specifically Japanese revision G, this being probably the easiest arcade revision). This game gets a lot of hate for its difficulty but it is 100% learnable and especially this arcade version can be completed pretty consistently once learned.

Baldur's Gate 3 :4/5: These years I usually play only 1 RPG per year, having not that much uninterrupted time or peace of mind and, this year, it's (unsurprisingly) BG3. I enjoyed Acts 1 and 2, but by the time I reached Act 3 it kind of overstayed its welcome.

Infernax :2/5: It's not a bad retro metroidvania, but also not nearly as good as the steam review score would lead you to believe. For all the polish, the difficulty is very inconsistent. Specifically, it's pretty tough at the beginning, but then you unlock additional lives, health potions you can replenish for free, magic that can heal you to full health multiple times etc. and suddenly any kind of challenge is gone which kinda ruins the point of the game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
As a respectable RPGCodex and RPGHQ poster, this year I only finished one rpg :smug:

Hi-Fi RUSH :5/5: awesome slasher/character action in the vein of arcadey PS2-era games. Maybe it doesn't hold candle to the best games in the genre (such as 3d Ninja Gaiden games or DMC3), but as a casual normie I thought it was great. It's also a rare game from a major company that wasn't a buggy mess filled with anticonsumer garbage on release.

Control :2/5: aesthetically and plot-wise it's super boring: the plot only exists in the first hour of the game, 99% of locations are empty offices and storage rooms, and all enemy types look the same. The game still gets two points for having a really good combat system and environmental destruction. It kinda reminded me of FEAR, actually.

Resident Evil 4 Remake :4/5: I still think this remake was thoroughly unneeded since the original RE4 is still amazing, but Capcom did a good job and delivered a game worth playing even if you already know and love the original. It's a sort-of a sidegrade, that's worse in some areas, but better in others.

Alan Wake American Nightmare :1/5: low budget filler game that Remedy had to release to stay afloat after the original Alan Wake bombed in sales. The plot leads to nowhere and there are only three maps that you must visit multiple times (rehashed content). Well at least the combat is OK and the bonus survival mode is fun enough to play a few times.

The Last of Us Remake :1/5: storyfag trash, one of thoes games that popularized this trend of making soy-infused cinematic third person action games where you play as a depressed dad, hide in the bushes, and use batman's detective vision. Never played the original and only checked this remake out to see what all the fuss was about.

Northern Journey :4/5: good action-adventure-FPS-walking sim hybrid. It's not strictly a Half-Life clone, but similarly to Half-Life it constantly puts you into the various unusual gameplay situations and regularly throws at you some new gimmick, so you never know what's coming next.

The Case of The Golden Idol :4/5: point and click adventure game with a focus on deduction/investigation (like Return of the Obra Dinn), where you must scour the area for clues and keywords, identify all the characters involved, and then reconstruct the chain of events by arranging keywords in a correct order.

System Shock (not remake) :5/5: amazing game, in some aspects it's better than its more famous sequel. Dunno what took me so long to finally play it.

Cultic :3/5: boomer-shooter from a solo dev. On surface it looks like a Blood clone (horror-fps, cultists as enemies, dynamite bundle as your primary throwable weapon, etc), but gameplay-wise it's actually closer to something like RTCW, i.e. the game's pace and mechanics are more focused on long range combat, and you are incentivized to shoot enemies in the head. It's overall fairly decent, even if derivative (like most of the boomer shooters are).

Amnesia - The Bunker :4/5: a return to form for Frictional, it's a much better game than the dreadful Rebirth. It's also probably the most gameplay-heavy of all Frictional games (including Penumbra) - there's combat, both short- and long-term resource management, stealth, non-linear level design, traps, limited inventory capacity and an item box, save room, metroidvania-style area gating, etc etc. A must play for all fans of survival horror genre.

Hedon Bloodrite :4/5: ignore the ugly art style and the muscular orkish women on the cover art. Barring the questionable visuals it's an amazing game with one of the best level designs i've seen. It's like a wild mixture of Arx Fatalis, Hexen 2 and Doom. The main (and only) downside is the deviantart-level character graphics.

Starfield :0/5: worst game of the year and a massive letdown. I used to like Todd Howard and enjoy bethesda games despite them having a ton of issues, I even liked Fallout 4. Well not anymore. Starfield was so bad it killed Bethesda for me, I hope they go under. What a piece of shit jfc.

Alan Wake 2 :1/5: barely interactive movie-game with a really bad gameplay-to-cinematics ratio. Most of the "gameplay" you either watch cutscenes, listen to inane dialogues, slowly walk through some wooded area while accompanying an NPC, or do the "investigation" (shitty minigame that cannot be failed). Would've probably rated as the worst game I played this year, but Starfield took the cake.

Colony Ship :3/5: OKayish scifi rpg. Kinda expected more with all the hype, but unfortunately it's blatantly unfinished and has lots of annoying little issues. The plot is sort-of decent until you start thinking it through and realize that it falls apart at its seams, the RPG mechanics and the build variety aren't well thought out, the learn-by-use progression system makes the game feel too metagamey, etc etc. Let's hope it's not the last Iron Tower outing, and Vince will get to make "Dungeon Rats in Space".

Vietcong :3/5: Czech-made FPS game set during the Vietnam war. Has some high highs (goofy but endearing plot, diverse mission design, some realism elements without going full into milsim territory, graphics), but also really low lows (certain action-heavy missions barely work with the whole realism theme, lots of annoying and frustrating game design decisions). Sovlful eurojank.

I also replayed Quake 2 (the recent remaster) and Resident Evil 5-6 (played them in coop with a friend).

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alladin
Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Cultic Episode 1
Dark Forces
Dead Island
Dead Island: Riptide
Dead Island II
Doom (2016)
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
Dragon Age II
Dying Light II
Enclave
F.E.A.R
Flashback
Gods
Heart of Darkness
Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2
Hrot
Industria
Legend of Kyrandia
Legend of Kyrandia II: Hand Of Fate
Legend of Kyrandia III: Malcolm's Revenge
Leisure Suit Larry 7 - Love for Sail
Lion King
Portal
Quake remastered + all official expansions
Quake II remastered + all official expansions
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Terminal Velocity
The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors
Trepang 2
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
Unavowed
Warhammer 40000: Boltgun
Vanquish
Warcraft II
Wheel of Time

lametta

Educated
These are all the games i played and finished for the first time.
Prolly something in there to trigger almost anyone in here:

Elden Ring 9/10
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade 9/10
Baldur's Gate 3 8,5/10
Triangle Strategy 8,5/10
God of War 8.5/10
Shadow Tactic: Blade of the Shogun 8,5/10
Metro Exodus 8,5/10
The Ascent 8,5/10
Hard West 2 8/10
Doom(2016) 8/10
The Wolf Among Us 8/10
Midnight Suns 7,5/10
Days Gone 7.5/10
Tales of Arise 7,5/10
Hi-Fi Rush 7,5/10
Elex 2 7/10
Tales of Berseria 7/10
Unravel 2 7/10
Metro Last Light Redux 7/10
Yakuza Kiwami 1 6,5/10
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge 6,5/10
Wolcen 6,5/10
Resident Evil 7 6,5/10
Greedfall 6/10
Skyrim 6/10
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round 6/10
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition 6/10
Trine 4 5,5/10

agris

Arcane
Patron
Completed or nearly completed in 2023:
  • Heaven's Vault
  • Dex
  • Roki
  • Diablo
  • Colony Ship
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Underrail
  • Stasis Bone Totem
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Technomancer
  • Islands of the Caliph
  • Might & Magic X
  • Fallout 1
  • Fallout 2: Updated Restoration Project (bad)
  • Fallout et tu

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom