Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Not carrying over heavier weapons and their ammo is a significant limitation when going through later levels.
Not only that, but it also makes them very difficult.
Stuff like Inferno or worse - Thy Flesh Consumed?
Yeah...

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
it's not that it doesn't exist, it's that it doesn't actually matter unless you're awful at the game, particularly with ammo. you basically have to force yourself to use one specific weapon for an extended period to ever run out, there's always more ammo right around the corner.
It's not very fun if your ability to shoot in a shooty game is being constantly removed as a reward for being effecient with ammo.
I do recall that Scourge of Armagon expansion for Quake was very stingy with giving you ammo on Hard.

As for weapons, I think if anything it adds strategy and management because you're always trading off something else. A Magnum is more ammo efficient than a rocket launcher on a per-enemy basis, but the rocket launcher is so much stronger and will help with tanky enemies or vehicles. You just don't have to think about something like this or make that tradeoff in Doom or Quake.
Disagree on "not having to think about this in Doom or Quake". You're constantly making choices like "should i use my nailgun now or hold onto nails in case of surprise shambler" or whatnot. Granted, how often you make these choices depends on how good the map is.
Never played Halo but this weapon tradeoff sytem does sound more interesting compared to something like Call of Duty Black Ops where swapping to a different weapon and ammo management really doesn't matter.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The cursed paladin and his slaves have been molesting me in Arcanum, and now that I’m nearly 100% tech I have no healer in Virgil. I know I should travel back to civilization and re-up with flashbangs and bandages for Jayna but I’m just worn down by the constant travel and rate of trivial encounters at this point.

On a positive note; really enjoying some Doom wads like Waterlab and Capybara, they’ve been a great time. Anyone have any reccs for some more.. “exploration”-based wads? A large part seem to aim only for difficulty.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The cursed paladin and his slaves have been molesting me in Arcanum, and now that I’m nearly 100% tech I have no healer in Virgil. I know I should travel back to civilization and re-up with flashbangs and bandages for Jayna but I’m just worn down by the constant travel and rate of trivial encounters at this point.
The Bangellian Deeps?
One of the hardest areas in the game.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Anyone have any reccs for some more.. “exploration”-based wads?
Amongst those i played recently Diabolus Ex is the one that clearly focused on exploration rather than difficulty. Treasure Tech Land too arguably.
Heard Lullaby might also fit the criteria but i didn't try it myself yet.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Playing some ps3 games on a emulator since i couldn't do that on my older pc.
Infamous.
What i expected:
A super hero action adventure where i unleash cool electric powers on baddies.
What i got:
Generic shooter where the grenade/ pistol has been replaced by a electrical grenade/pistol. Also the game never stops spawning enemies constantly around you. You don't get anything for defeating them and they mostly use guns(they are not fully hitscan but might as well be) and spawn on roofs where are you actually supposed to go to bypass them.

I know what the game is attempting. It is trying to be electric sonic where you just blitz though everything, but the main character simply will die in seconds if you try that and most of the objectives don't let you do that anyway. I am not impressed whatsoever.
Oh and the morality and rpg systems are practically meaningless. Morality rewards doing only one action for the rest of the game, thus making it useless. And unlocking abilities is practically drip fed to you so it might as well have been unlocked normally as you progress.

jackofshadows

Magister
So I finished Olympus 2207, enjoyed it a lot. The ending was kinda underwhelming including the boss but still very in a vein of the original dilogy. Like I mentioned, my praise comes from the fact I don't mind at all constant random encounters, killing mobs at mass, selling loot etc. Picking heavy guns was the best decision since the game has plenty of them, introducing machineguns for other calibers, 308, .50 even. Flamethrowers are really, really strong as in the original games, stronger even. There's a new 40mm grenade-launcher also. So you just kill, kill, kill stuff and kill again. I like that.

I guess the devs increased encounters spam (though not by THAT much as you could think reading this) in order to compensate the amount of hand-made content. There's only like 6 relatively major settlements (including the biggest one, "Olympus" itself) and a handful of small locations, with a quest or two or none. At the same time there's a lot of work and passion put into those settlements, including tons of various NPC responses depending on your reputation with a settlement in question, various secrets like hidden ladders, loot (the loot negates by pressing left shift I guess they've added this highlighting feature later). And a good amount of quests and colorful NPCs. IIRC there's not a single quest of the "kill x things" type. It's all been carefully written into the setting. Although some of the ending quests don't make a lot of sense tbqh.

The important note is that this game was made by men (there's not a single female listed in the credits if I'm not mistaken) and obviously for men. You cannot even play by female and it was deliberate design decision, imagine that. You have like a female childhood friend (and possibly more) there, you have a whorehouse, a quest where you stay as a lookout while one raider from a gang is banging gang leader's chick! You can also blackmail some young beautiful scientist girl into coming down to some literal guard nigger and he fucking rapes her, gifting you an awesome pistol for that (also you receive significant -karma score). You can check up on the girl later too, she hates your guts, obviously. Scratch that, they replaced gambling skill with "Casanova" one where the starting value scales off... luck, I loled so hard. It allows the PC to bang certain female NPCs for no apparent benefit whatsoever as far as I can tell (I didn't invest in it, just loaded a game several times and set easy to check that so maybe later on there're benefits).

Unfortunately there's not a single mega-dungeon a la Glow or Mariposa, not even close. It's all small-scale but the core team consisted of 3 guys and it's still I'd say a very good game so small complaint here. Anyway, I've no idea what's there with the ENG translation so dunno whether to recommend this or not but I think it's worth a try anyway. Just remember that the prologue is very meh although it sets the right tone for the whole game.

The question is: what global mod I should play next? What's considered the best one also?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Started playing Geneforge. I didn't realise how refreshing it would be to play something where a minimum of thought has gone into the setting and worldbuilding. Clearly it's been too long since I've played a fantasy CRPG that actually tries to be interesting. Thumbs up so far.

Ash

Arcane
Hey guys...I have no game to play and am getting withdrawal symptoms.

I tried God Hand, and well it's alright. I didn't play it for particularly long, maybe a little over an hour, but it doesn't match up to other beat em up/hack & slash action games I'm quite sure.

Machocruz

Arcane

I tried God Hand, and well it's alright. I didn't play it for particularly long, maybe a little over an hour, but it doesn't match up to other beat em up/hack & slash action games I'm quite sure.
I think I felt the same way at first, but then at some point down the road it struck me that it was one of the best 3D action games ever. I stuck with it because of the promise of early amusing tidbits, like the boss battle with the homos.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Can always recommend Spark the Electric Jester 3.

If this video doesn't sell it to you i don't know what else will. There is a free demo on steam.

Northern Journey is another game i can always recommend, best enjoyed if you go in completely blind with no expectations.

Don't know what else i can recommend, you probably played way more Doom and Quake mods than me.
Enjoyed Arthurian Legends and Zortch the most amongst the recent wave of commercial retro FPS, don't know if you have played those.

Krivol

Magister
The question is: what global mod I should play next? What's considered the best one also?
The best three are probably Sonora, Nevada and Ressurection. All of those are worth playing, with Sonora being my favourite (Nevada is probably technically better as it's more ambitious, but it gets tedious here and there).

I found Olympus much worse than those, but Olympus is visually perfect. Amount of work put in new sprites and objects, even UI...

Shuruga

Educated
I've been dumping most of my free time in to building a NWN module and I've been resisting the urge to get sucked into a fresh RPG. When I want a break from building the module I've been playing Hypercharged: Unboxed, a FPS I originally got to play co-op with one of my sons. Definitely not an RPG but I recommend it for any FPS fans out there. It plays well and has a lot of verticality, weapon variety, maps, etc.

It is basically a FPS tower defense where you play as a kid's action figure and you're defending against waves of toys like green army men, toy helicopters, etc. No gore (which is one reason I picked it for my son) but quite a bit of fun, especially on the highest difficulty.

Hypercharge-Unboxed.jpg

rubinstein

Educated
Im continuing my Fallout arc with Sonora and i gotta admit it is really good. i am really enjoying my time with this game. Sonora is really true to the essence of Fallout. Ive cleared garage city and now im doing san brahmin and flagstaff quests. my only complaint is that i am yet to see chems, that could boost my stats for difficult fights. maybe i genuinely missed them or a vendor, but i havent seen any in like 4 or 5 hours of gameplay. by this time in fo2 you would have been in den, where you can get some psycho or jet.

Krivol

Magister
Im continuing my Fallout arc with Sonora and i gotta admit it is really good. i am really enjoying my time with this game. Sonora is really true to the essence of Fallout. Ive cleared garage city and now im doing san brahmin and flagstaff quests. my only complaint is that i am yet to see chems, that could boost my stats for difficult fights. maybe i genuinely missed them or a vendor, but i havent seen any in like 4 or 5 hours of gameplay. by this time in fo2 you would have been in den, where you can get some psycho or jet.
No jet (it's too early for that to exist in this universe) but IIRC barman in Flagpool (staff?) has some chems. Buffout and psycho are extremely rare (can be bought in Phoenix IIRC, and some skill check with some trader, but I don't remember which one).

rubinstein

Educated
ah fair, sonora is 5 years after fo not fo2, but its really not important whether its actually a jet or something else with similar effect, it would be nice to have it. i suspected i might have simply missed a vendor, i will check the barman in flagstaff (its called flagstaff in my translation. the translation can be hilarious at times).

jackofshadows

Magister
i am yet to see chems, that could boost my stats for difficult fights
There's psycho in the slaver boss's room. But they nerfed it to hell. I wasn't able to beat the slavers on hard at this point, if only I'd invest in throwing then maybe/probably (have 5 grenades).

I'm also only wrapping up Flagstuff and to be honest, so far I don't get it. It's literally Fallout. LITERALLY. What's the fucking point? Not even ATOM level here, they just reskin shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom