Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS OK FINALLY FINISHED ALL CHEEVOS LIES OF P NOW I AM DONE

NEXT IS MAYBE KERBAL OR SEKIRO OR NEW ROBOCOP

ALSO PLAYED ION ASSAULT SOME 360 ERA TWINSTICK SHOOTER MFDY TRY THAT A LITTLE MORE

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
afbSparktheElectricJest.jpg
36dSparktheElectricJest.png

I think i failed to appreciate at first just how good the level design in Spark 3 is.
These running stages have so many alternative routes and shorcuts you can use. So much stuff in them sometimes there is even a special exploration medal you can get if you decide to take your time exploring the level for hidden tokens instead of just speeding through. And there is also a meda
Many of these levels are clearly designed to be highly replayable.

I am still playing though The Citadel. I don't think it's on the same level of something like Arthurian Legends or Zortch as far as the modern retro shooters go but i still would rate it higher than many of the others.
It feels to be very devoid of bullshit and 'fat' if you can catch my drift.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Trying some new builds in Diablo 2.

The trap assassin is probably my favourite so far. Great fun opening a door, throw a sentry or two and hear the buzzing of XP generation. It helps that the trap assassin gets the fun skills quite early, unlike for example whirlwind barbs.
I got the runes from the Countess to make the Nadir helm, and figured the +2 mana after each kill would be useful. Unfortunately it doesn't work with sentries.

Last time I played my favourite was the Phoenix Strike assassin, so I guess assassin is my favourite class in D2, while the necro is my least favourite (too much micro-management is using skellies).

Gregz

Arcane
Trying some new builds in Diablo 2.

The trap assassin is probably my favourite so far. Great fun opening a door, throw a sentry or two and hear the buzzing of XP generation. It helps that the trap assassin gets the fun skills quite early, unlike for example whirlwind barbs.
I got the runes from the Countess to make the Nadir helm, and figured the +2 mana after each kill would be useful. Unfortunately it doesn't work with sentries.

Last time I played my favourite was the Phoenix Strike assassin, so I guess assassin is my favourite class in D2, while the necro is my least favourite (too much micro-management is using skellies).

Check this out, it's awesome

https://modsbylaz.vn.cz/welcome.html

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat two more games. 100%d both.

Murdered: Soul Suspect had an interesting premise on paper, but the execution is too casual. You play a cop who gets killed at the very start of the game. You're looking into a serial killer, but now that you're dead, you have to do it as a ghost. There are crime scene investigations, and a few ghost enemies, but you are basically not allowed to fail.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim by VanillaWare, with their unmistakeable artstyle. Visual Novel with rtwp battles. You move your character horizontally on screen, talk to people, and unlock new keywords. There are 13 stories that all deal with the plot. It is mind fucker of the highest degree. Both good and bad. Overall, I liked the story, with some wtf moments here and there.
The combat was something that did not interest me, but you're basically picking six characters to fight for each fight. You have a few anti air unuts, some heavy hitters, and two more unit types. I'd mostly liken the combat to a rtwp tower defense game.

Spike

Educated
I beat two more games. 100%d both.

Murdered: Soul Suspect had an interesting premise on paper, but the execution is too casual. You play a cop who gets killed at the very start of the game. You're looking into a serial killer, but now that you're dead, you have to do it as a ghost. There are crime scene investigations, and a few ghost enemies, but you are basically not allowed to fail.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim by VanillaWare, with their unmistakeable artstyle. Visual Novel with rtwp battles. You move your character horizontally on screen, talk to people, and unlock new keywords. There are 13 stories that all deal with the plot. It is mind fucker of the highest degree. Both good and bad. Overall, I liked the story, with some wtf moments here and there.
The combat was something that did not interest me, but you're basically picking six characters to fight for each fight. You have a few anti air unuts, some heavy hitters, and two more unit types. I'd mostly liken the combat to a rtwp tower defense game.
13 Sentinels sounds kinda neat. Any good detective games you can recommend? I heard those Sherlock games are really good for the most part. Actually I heard it from someone's blog here lol.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^There are probably more prestigious games, like the older Sherlock Holmes games, but I have a particular fondness for Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishment. You find clues, and then you have to make your own deductions. Even if you get the wrong suspect, the game will continue. It had a decent mood to it, and in my opinion, the voice acting was top notch. I really liked the portrayal of Holmes and Watson, and their dynamic was good.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Any good detective games you can recommend? I heard those Sherlock games are really good for the most part. Actually I heard it from someone's blog here lol.
Not him, but Deja Vu, JB Harold: Murder Club and the Text Murphy series are all good. Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective is interesting if you can stand the janky mechanics, can't comment on any of the later ones.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
More Mortal Online 2. This game is very unforgiving, and would probably be a misery to play on your own. We're a few guys playing together, and the emotional rides are all over the place. Kill some real life players, grab their loot, just to get killed by bandits an hour later, and losing everything.

Death's Gambit. 2D metroidvania/soulslike mashup. It's a decent game. My character is a mage, focusing on spells, but I did find a sword that scales with intelligence, so I mix it up. Melee is a bit so-so, but controls are acceptable overall. I'm still not sure if I will play it to the end.

TramplePie

Novice
I've been playing Quake and have been surprised by how much fun I'm having. It's been a long time since I've played with the music working and it adds a huge amount to the atmosphere.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Already mentioned in the screenshot thread but i finished the Citadel. It was still pretty great right until the end.
The one thing i didn't mention about it yet is how much the dev have paid attention to the gunplay itself. The game doesn't auto-reload your weapons if you run out of bullets, using a quick reload with rifles will eject the magazine with all remaining bullets, each shotgun shell must be loaded separately by quickly tapping the reload button - it's all feels a bit different from most of the other games.
Also, there is no hitscan whatsoever. All your weapons and those of your enemies are projectile based and it's important to keep in mind that bullets don't fly in the straight line when using something like a whalegun(sniper rifle here).
Dev is currently working on the sequel and the demo is already out.

I also played The Last Flame demo. Stumbled upon it while searching for a game that is similar in spirit to Monster Train.
TheLastFlame6T2z1Ywe.jpg

Assemble a hero squad from the present options, find a good synergy between their abilities and forge the right loot/get artifacts in order to roflestomp the progressively more and more tricky encounters. Sounds fun enough on paper if you can stomach the mobile game looks.
TheLastFlameYfDtLW1E.jpg

It's a bit... Hero abilites lack a certain "oopmf" and most of the loot you get is some boring +10% attack speed or +30 defence. Some of these +X items can be even worse as way too many relics and legendary/rare items are useless to you depending on your chosen team composition.
Had a bit of fun with it at first but in the end i simply wasn't hooked.

Fink

Educated
Completed Expeditions: Conquistador. Great RPG. I really enjoyed it. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't appear in either the top 70 or top 101 codex lists.

Highly recommended if you enjoy:
+ strategic party/resource management
+ turn-based tactical combat
+ exploration
+ narrative and mechanical choice and consequence

Spike

Educated
Any good detective games you can recommend?
Check out Zombra's thread, plenty of good games discussed there

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/games-with-good-detective-mechanics.115052/
Fantastic link, thank you!
Any good detective games you can recommend? I heard those Sherlock games are really good for the most part. Actually I heard it from someone's blog here lol.
Not him, but Deja Vu, JB Harold: Murder Club and the Text Murphy series are all good. Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective is interesting if you can stand the janky mechanics, can't comment on any of the later ones.
These look cool too, appreciate the recs!

Spike

Educated
More Mortal Online 2. This game is very unforgiving, and would probably be a misery to play on your own. We're a few guys playing together, and the emotional rides are all over the place. Kill some real life players, grab their loot, just to get killed by bandits an hour later, and losing everything.

Death's Gambit. 2D metroidvania/soulslike mashup. It's a decent game. My character is a mage, focusing on spells, but I did find a sword that scales with intelligence, so I mix it up. Melee is a bit so-so, but controls are acceptable overall. I'm still not sure if I will play it to the end.
Mortal Online 2 sounds super fun. How is the combat? It looked neat.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

Mortal Online 2 sounds super fun. How is the combat? It looked neat.
It's alright, but know that you need to be good at blocking and parrying. You can attack in different directions, feint, do power attacks, and the defender needs to be on their heels. You need to be 100% focused or die quickly.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Completed Expeditions: Conquistador. Great RPG. I really enjoyed it. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't appear in either the top 70 or top 101 codex lists.

Logic Artists games are unfortunately all cursed to be severely underplayed on the Codex. It's a great shame because they are all very solid (though can't speak for Rome), but it really feels like barely anyone has actually played them - the winner being Clandestine that maybe 5 people know about around here. There's also something very strange about the whole thing because these are games that should all be Codex darlings, but they aren't. So if even the Codex won't play shit that's almost tailor-made for it (EVEN LYRIC SUITE LIKED CONQUISTADOR, LET THAT SINK IN), it's little wonder that the company went belly up.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I have a confession to make, i didn't finish Expeditions: Conquistador.
I think i played it somewhere after completing Temple of Elemental Evil. The plot and choices you can make were fun but i simply wasn't in the mood for lengthy turn-based combat anymore.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I beat the second boss in Death's Gambit. I was ready to give up, but I got a magic tome that had a decently damaging attack, plus I had explored enough to have six healing flasks. I'll stick with it some more. I got the air dash, and double jump, so the metroidvania aspects are becoming clearer as new exploration skills are gained. I found another boss, but it had like 10% hp before I died. I was not familiar with its attack pattern, but I'll stay away for now, and explore further into older areas, and one new area (A church from the looks of it).

I read that the online services for Nintendo 3DS will end early in April, so I am rushing to play all games that have online functionality built in. But first, I want to get Dragon Quest VII over with. It might sound negative, but I am having fun, especially with getting new jobs for my dudes. DQ is charming as always. 15 hours in, and I have found some shards, and explored a few islands. It's slow paced as a snail, but I don't mind. Love the music.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS IM SLOLY GOING AT SEKIRO

I BITCHED OUT AT ISSHIN LAST TIME IN MY FAGBOX

BROS SEKIRO DONT PLAY LOLLOLLOL MANY ASSRAPE

Old Hans

Arcane
BROS IM SLOLY GOING AT SEKIRO

I BITCHED OUT AT ISSHIN LAST TIME IN MY FAGBOX

BROS SEKIRO DONT PLAY LOLLOLLOL MANY ASSRAPE
I remember when the combat finally clicked for me, it was like Neo at the end of The Matrix when he kicks agent smiths ass. I kept losing to that boss with the bow over and over, so I cried and went to bed. The next morning I tried him again and beat him first try.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Currently playing Project IGI. I played the demo back when it came out and played it a lot, but for some reason never fully played it til now. Has pretty great gunplay considering its age, with really satisfying gun sounds. In general the sound design is actually really good in this game. The game doesn't mess around though. No checkpoints, no mid mission saves; you fuck up, you start the mission all over.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Decided to try some demos in between playing Spark 3.

This is probably the closest thing we're going to get to the modern successor of Dark Messiah. A lot of fun stuff you can do here even if you don't include the special weapons you get like the bubble gun or the frost glove. I also like the character and environmental design, the look of the demon boss especially. Had a great time, wishlisted.

At a glance it seems like a Cruelty Squad clone with a far simplier gameplay and so far it is frankly speaking. Not exactly fond of the door unlock mechanic(you need to get a speedrun trophy on the level first before you can open these doors and get access to extra items.) I do find the "low-level gunkjuiced America" visuals interesting to look at.

I saw some screenshots of the first game being posted by Taka-Haradin puolipeikko so i got interested.
I liked this one more compared to The Last Flame. Combat feels fast and brutal. Abilities and items you can get feel impactful.
Hitting them hard and fast before your enemies can hit you seems to be the winning tactic.
I do wonder if i should get the full version of the first game or wait until the full version of the sequel comes out. Second game seems to be "the same but more" kind of deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom