Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why the classic version and not the enhanced edition?
Because the enhanced edition sucks and he dodged a bullet by not playing it.
Yeah I read that it fundamentally changed stealth and introduced other stuff. I think it also broke the robot quest in the cave too.
It also revamps skills, and some other stuff in a bad way.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
There are things I don't like about the game - especially the Diabloesque loot system - but on the whole I think DOS is a pretty fun game.

The dialogue is corny as fuck, but I don't think it annoys me as much as it does some people. Combat's very entertaining and the high point of the experience despite feeling very game-y.
It only gets worse in D:OS II.

Krivol

Magister
Last year I had a great time with Beholgar - hard, 16bit metroidvania. Now I felt some urge to play another, similar game and decided to go with The Messenger.

Oh my... that game is... wow! It's very creative and made with love. I'm not going to spoil it for you if you have never played it - just try this game and have fun!

It turned out The Messenger is a part of a bit bigger universe with a JRPG Sea of Stars. I decided to go with that one too (my kids have an Xbox game pass and it's free there so...). I am not a great jRPG fan (I finished 3 jRPGs in my life) but I have fun with this - it's not deep with mechanics, but world-building and writing turns it into a very enjoyable gem. Worth a time.

For a strategy game, I decided to Knights of Honor 2 and... well... it's like EU4 for lazy people. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to paint a map for a while it's just... it's not a historical simulator and the whole gameplay (except for battles) is waiting for mana pool (I mean resources) to generate to invest them into something and repeat. After a while build some decent army and conquer something. Wait, build, fight. A restricted amount of council members gives you some decisions to make, but it's generally an 'optimize your mana growth' type of game.

OTOH if AI and battles were done a bit better it would be a gem.

Fink

Educated
Why the classic version and not the enhanced edition?
played EE version a few years ago up to Phantom Forest, didn't complete.

wanted to try classic partly for a different experience, partly 'cause I found the full VA annoying, and partly for reasons mentioned by Roxor and Abu.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Thought of going out of my comfort zone and experiment a bit so I fired up Elden Ring, don't know shit about those souls games. Kinda suck at it but it's fun (was also curious to see how my 2018 rig performs with newer titles, runs like crystal water btw).

My thoughts on the game can be summarized in one screenshot

Elden-Ring-Screenshot-2024-02-06-19-00-42-46.png

ferratilis

Magister
Ghost of Tsushima might be one of the most overrated games I've tried. I remember it was showered with praise back when it came out. Usually you can tell from youtube videos whether a game would be shit, but this looked beautiful, with combat that seemed lethal and engaging. That's entirely false. The combat IS lethal, however it's your typical Western AAA style of gameplay that is ubiquitous now: strikes that don't feel impactful, shitty hitboxes, poorly telegraphed moves etc. The typical shit you'd see in a Ubisoft game. And even the things that the game received praise for, like the "revolutionary" wind guidance mechanic that increases "muh immersion" is just a gimmick. I could easily forgive the question mark-laden map, repetitive activities, weak narrative and characters, and poor traversal, if the game had good combat. But it doesn't, so I won't force myself to finish it. If they somehow outsourced the gameplay design to the guys who made Nioh, this game would've been ten times better. This way, it's your typical Ubisoft-style AAA slop. Good looking one, though.

Viata

Arcane
I liked Penumbra more than Amnesia. For some reason, I really hate modern survival horror games that do not allow you to attack monsters. Because of that, the genre is mostly jumpscare and shit with "cute monsters" made for streamers. Funny enough, I did love that Alien game, I think it was Alien: Isolation, but that is because I really love settings that take places in big ass spaceships (and in that game you could attack Alien later on with a flamethrower).

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Ghost of Tsushima might be one of the most overrated games I've tried. I remember it was showered with praise back when it came out. Usually you can tell from youtube videos whether a game would be shit, but this looked beautiful, with combat that seemed lethal and engaging. That's entirely false. The combat IS lethal, however it's your typical Western AAA style of gameplay that is ubiquitous now: strikes that don't feel impactful, shitty hitboxes, poorly telegraphed moves etc. The typical shit you'd see in a Ubisoft game. And even the things that the game received praise for, like the "revolutionary" wind guidance mechanic that increases "muh immersion" is just a gimmick. I could easily forgive the question mark-laden map, repetitive activities, weak narrative and characters, and poor traversal, if the game had good combat. But it doesn't, so I won't force myself to finish it. If they somehow outsourced the gameplay design to the guys who made Nioh, this game would've been ten times better. This way, it's your typical Ubisoft-style AAA slop. Good looking one, though.
Sucker Punch peaked with the Sly Cooper games. Infamous was typical turn your brain off, open world hijinks, although the first one had some novelty for the time. Any time I watched GoT, it didn't look like the enemies put up much of a fight, and went down in a single stroke even on the so-called hard mode. Yeah it looked like typical western AAA automated instawin combat. What a shame.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In Mortal Online 2, I built my own house, co-created a guild with three other guys, and was basically forced to make that guild part of a big ass guild. Apparently, we built our houses close to a big guild, with sub-guilds. They were monitoring us, thinking we were enemies. We were actually interrogated ingame, and it was hilarious. After clearing everything up, we joined them, and we will now join when they call us to big battles. It doesn't sound fun, but all of this was hilarious, and I couldn't stop laughing, especially since I am role playing a stupid brute. Whatever they told me or asked me, I'd just give them incoherent responses about Grognur being slow in the head.

I have play ten(ish) hours of Diofield Chronicles. Very low budget rtwp tactical rpg from Square Enix. The game is pretty simple, and missions don't last that long. No wokeism that I have seen so far. Gameplay is okayish, and it is mission based in fairly small levels. You control four units at a time. My lineup consists of a rogue, cavalier, archer, and a mage. If they had given this a bigger budget, and fleshed everything out, it could have been really good. As it is now, it's a game where I play a few missions when I have some time to waste. When I am done with this, I am 100% certain that I will forget most things about it. When I was looking through my PS4 discs, I had forgotten the name of the game.

Dragon Quest VII. 42 hours in. The game has been streamlined compared to the PS1 version, but I am still having fun. The series is good fun if you just want to play a traditional jrpg, with not too many distractions. Go from place to place, and follow different story arcs. Fight very traditional turn-based battles, and level up your jobs.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Alright, just finished Unreal.
It was every bit as good as I remember it to be. A wonderful atmospheric shooter. Majestic is a good word to describe it. It succeeds at creating this sense of awe and wonder while being trapped on a beautifully alien world. The Nali are the native race of Na Pali, which is the world you are trapped on. The Skaarj compose most of the enemies you will be fighting against, described as "sophisticated savages" by Cliff Bleszinski.
Perfect soundtrack too.
I will do the Return to Na Pali expansion next, then Unreal 2.
Also fire up some UT99, the king of competitive FPS gaming.

jackofshadows

Magister
Settlers 2. In childhood I was much more of a wc2-3/sc guy so when I tried to play this at the time, I couldn't even figure out its obscure mechanics let alone get bored due to its unbelievably meditative gameplay. Now it's nice to get into the game and realize how many subsequent titles it's inspired but I gotta say the war system is clunky as fuck here and the obvious to me now clone Knights & Merchants have done a great job in elevating this aspect by a lot.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I beat Streets of Rage 2 for the first time. Used both continues. Yeah, I know. Played as Axel. The TV, not the phone this time. My favorite Mega Drive game so far.

Learned
Migrated my Plugy saves to D2R single player a while ago. I'm officially hooked again. Spending way more time than I thought I would.

Viata

Arcane
I beat Streets of Rage 2 for the first time. Used both continues. Yeah, I know.
Finished it last month. Took me 2 continues. Last time I played (and finished with my brother), PS2 wasn't even released yet. Only on stage 6 I remember about the uppercut thing, which ended up making the rest of the game pretty easy. I'd not say it's my favorite MD game, but it would take me a long time to find a game with better ost on MD.

Sodafish

Arcane
I beat Streets of Rage 2 for the first time. Used both continues. Yeah, I know.
Finished it last month. Took me 2 continues. Last time I played (and finished with my brother), PS2 wasn't even released yet. Only on stage 6 I remember about the uppercut thing, which ended up making the rest of the game pretty easy. I'd not say it's my favorite MD game, but it would take me a long time to find a game with better ost on MD.

Used to play that a lot in my teens with a mate. Never did beat the final boss with his machine gun cheese.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'd not say it's my favorite MD game, but it would take me a long time to find a game with better ost on MD.

Yesterday at work, I requested music for the first time, asked the guy at the desk to play the Streets of Rage 2 soundtrack. After just "Super Mix," the menu theme that's repeated in the last level, the music went back to the Spotify shit that we have to hear over and over and over. I should have been more specific.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Its a fun enough game. I like the visuals and varied looking levels. Guns are fun as well. Its got different design philosophy than Unreal thats for sure.
Worse thing about it was the slow movement speed to be honest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom