Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fallout Tactics :argh:

Two questions:

# Have you played Fallout Tactics before?
# Have you reached the St. Louis mission?

Because what you described... shit son, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

Cael

Arcane
Fallout Tactics :argh:

Two questions:

# Have you played Fallout Tactics before?
# Have you reached the St. Louis mission?

Because what you described... shit son, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.
Yes. Yes, I have. The mutants never got a chance to fire a single shot in that mission so... I dunno? :D

But I have missed 3 times in a row at 95% to hit before. Fallout Tactics is just one of THOSE kind of games... :P

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
But are you familiar with the crit bug on the Browning M2?

You think missing thrice in a row with 95% at point blank is something - wait 'till you get one-shotted at extreme ranges by a burst attack in your general direction.

It makes that bunker assault in St. Louis extra tense... as pretty much every mission against Super Mutants in general.

Oh, and enjoy the Kansas mission. Easily the highpoint of the game.

Cael

Arcane
But are you familiar with the crit bug on the Browning M2?

You think missing thrice in a row with 95% at point blank is something - wait 'till you get one-shotted at extreme ranges by a burst attack in your general direction.

It makes that bunker assault in St. Louis extra tense... as pretty much every mission against Super Mutants in general.

Oh, and enjoy the Kansas mission. Easily the highpoint of the game.
The Burst Fire Bug, yes. They fire at you at max Browning range (45) and rely on the bug to hit everyone else in the vicinity when they miss you.

St Louis mutant HQ assault was fairly easy. I used the sniper rifle to kill all of the mutants within range and then snuck into the base using the back way and into the central bunker (hosed down the mutants there with buckshot) using 5 guys. Then they lined up at the windows and the remaining guy used the sniper rifle to attract the attention of the three psycho Browning mutants at the door. When all three moved forward, they pop up and fire a burst of buckshot and hunker back down again while the sniper moved away. Rinse and repeat. Easy 4k xp per mutant. In fact, the sniper rifle basically made the mutant maps a cake walk. It was Newton that gave me trouble because of the close quarters and robots...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The problem with the robots is that they destroy a core aspect of Fallout Tactics: Versatility.

The game copy/pastes the SPECIAL skill-system from Fallout 1 & 2, yet the game itself is almost 100% devoted to the combat aspect of the game - meaning that far too many skills are 100% useless. But that's not the main gripe.

The SPECIAL system allows for 6 different schools of combat: Small Guns, Big Guns, Energy Weapons, Melee Weapons, Thrown Weapons and Unarmed, and provides plenty of means for the player to develop and refine those skills so that a character can be kick-ass in one of those. FT does its bit in this regard, so all's good... until you get to the robots.

I can't remember exactly how it was trying to use Melee Weapons against Robots, but try using an Unarmed build-character against them. You might as well throw tomatoes for all it's gonna do. In a quest to create a "new" enemy/challenge for the player AND have the entire game a pre-determined order of escalating fights, the devs screwed the pooch big time. At least two schools of combat are invalidated in the endgame, rendered utterly useless. This isn't like the tough uphill battle with the big pay-off that Big Guns and Energy Weapons have to deal with, this is just absolute shut-down. All that work building up a character to be harder than Bruce Lee, and he's rendered useless at the drop of a hat. Meanwhile Small Guns users are "compensated" by being granted access to all kinds of robot-slaying gear, and the oldest robot-slaying weapon of them all is a grenade.

So yeah. :/

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
The problem with the robots is that they destroy a core aspect of Fallout Tactics: Versatility.

The game copy/pastes the SPECIAL skill-system from Fallout 1 & 2, yet the game itself is almost 100% devoted to the combat aspect of the game - meaning that far too many skill are 100% useless. But that's not the main gripe.

The SPECIAL system allows for 6 different schools of combat: Small Guns, Big Guns, Energy Weapons, Melee Weapons, Thrown Weapons and Unarmed, and provides plenty of means for the player to develop and refine those skills so that a character can be kick-ass in one of those. FT does its bit in this regard, so all's good... until you get to the robots.

I can't remember exactly how it was trying to use Melee Weapons against Robots, but try using an Unarmed build-character against them. You might as well throw tomatoes for all it's gonna do. In a quest to create a "new" enemy/challenge for the player AND have the entire game a pre-determined order of escalating fights, the devs screwed the pooch big time. At least two schools of combat are invalidated in the endgame, rendered utterly useless. This isn't like the tough uphill battle with the big pay-off that Big Guns and Energy Weapons have to deal with, this is just absolute shut-down. All that work building up a character to be harder than Bruce Lee, and he's rendered useless at the drop of a hat. Meanwhile Small Guns users are "compensated" by being granted access to all kinds of robot-slaying gear, and the oldest robot-slaying weapon of them all is a grenade.

So yeah. :/
Small Guns got the Gauss Rifle, and that was about it. I do brute force knocked out robots with Jackhammers using normal ammo, but that is about it. EMP shells are too rare to use all the time.
Big Guns got a few, but other than the Browning, none of the others really did all that much. Even the rocket launcher was pretty lackluster. I guess there is a Gauss Minigun if you really want to push it, but Big Guns in general make me cringe at the sheer waste of ammo.
Energy Weapons is, of course, the best weapon in the game bar none, as usual.
Thrown Weapons is iffy at best. EMP grenades are too few to use, and none of the others are all that numerous either (Plasma and Acid). You can forget Frag and Incendiary.
Melee is a lost cause. Forget it vs robots.
Unarmed can actually be pretty good. You need to get into the higher ranges of the skill to get the high tier skills, and do NOT use unarmed weapons. Just use your bare hands. Half the skills become armour-piercing at higher levels and that helps a LOT vs robots. Of course, you charging a Vindicator or Browning armed robot is just asking for trouble, so pick your target carefulliy.

Just remember, I hunt mutants between missions using 9mm SMGs and Impact Gloves. Ended up with 200+ SAWs and 50+ M2s at one stage. Sniper rifles, FN FAL and Jackhammers are luxury items for me.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Although it's early, Celeste is a strong contender for indie of the year for me.

It's a platformer in the style of Super Meatboy. Small levels that need a lot of precise movement. You can only jump, dash and climb.

The game has a story, but if you're not interested you can check to skip automatically each "cutscene".

Each level/chapter introduces new mechanics and at the end of the level there is some kind of boss battle where you need to put everything you learned to the test. Levels are very well designed, main story levels are challenging but the fun starts at the optional content which needs some insane movement and timing to get through. But everything is very doable, sometimes it's more of a puzzle to find the right moves that reflexes.

One small problem is that there is something off in some diagonal jumps, I thinkg the devs need to tune a bit when the jump registers as diagonal or left/right/upwards. Other than that, which one can get used to it, the controls are tight.

Overall, excellent platformer with a lot of content.

Bros, I'm having a hard time keeping interested in Soul Reaver 2. I was having a blast with the Kain games, finishing Blood Omen and Soul Reaver 1 the past week, but Soul Reaver 2 (which I had never played before, by the way) seems to be a lot less engaging. The gameworld is very linear, puzzles seem lamer, it just doesn't have the same atmosphere as previous games. I guess I'll keep playing for the story, which is interesting since you get to visit characters and locations from Blood Omen before the events of the first game, but I'm not feeling it.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Bros, I'm having a hard time keeping interested in Soul Reaver 2. I was having a blast with the Kain games, finishing Blood Omen and Soul Reaver 1 the past week, but Soul Reaver 2 (which I had never played before, by the way) seems to be a lot less engaging. The gameworld is very linear, puzzles seem lamer, it just doesn't have the same atmosphere as previous games. I guess I'll keep playing for the story, which is interesting since you get to visit characters and locations from Blood Omen before the events of the first game, but I'm not feeling it.
It's all downhill from here. Good luck.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I liekd soul reaver 2 a lot. Yeah, the linearity is a bummer, but I think everything else about it is solid.

But since we are already at this topic, I will repeat myself with what I say each time it pops up - once you finish SR2, do not, I repeat, DO NOT play Defiance. Watch the cutscenes on youtube if you want to see the story close, but by God, AVOID the game itself because it's a huge pile of shit.

Xeon

Augur
Currently playing Fallout Nevada thanks to Modron's help.

I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda, I kinda got burned out, I think I am close to the end but not completely sure.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I liekd soul reaver 2 a lot. Yeah, the linearity is a bummer, but I think everything else about it is solid.

But since we are already at this topic, I will repeat myself with what I say each time it pops up - once you finish SR2, do not, I repeat, DO NOT play Defiance. Watch the cutscenes on youtube if you want to see the story close, but by God, AVOID the game itself because it's a huge pile of shit.
Is the camera just one of many issues or what?

kris

Arcane

Still, that is 5% chance of missing. I fondly remember when I hit 100 on the dice in Rolemaster 4 times in a row. Never hit "01" 4 times in a row though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Thanks to tips from spekkio and Jaesun, Aliens versus Predator now sounds and looks much better.

I gave up on playing the Marine during lvl 2, what with no ammo and constantly spawning aliens.

Tried the Predator instead, which so far (two levels completed) is easier and more enjoyable, and less nerve wracking than playing a lone marine against a horde of aliens.
Still not sure what the different visions modes are (the manual doesn't say). Green seems to be regular night vision, blue thermal vision to see humans. But red? To see aliens?

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Still not sure what the different visions modes are (the manual doesn't say). Green seems to be regular night vision, blue thermal vision to see humans. But red? To see aliens?

Normal vision is normal.
Blue vision reveals humans.
Red vision reveals Aliens (and androids?).
Green vision reveals other Predators and PredTech (like if you're wondering where that fucking disc ran off to).

One problem with androids (and I can't remember whether it affected the Predator or the Alien) is that they're not highlighted, so you may actually miss them.

Oh, and have fun with the Xenoborgs. :smug:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Those aliens would have been a lot scarier if they didn't sound like an elephant when charging.

Also, I'm not too impressed with the level design of AvP so far.

What's bothering me more than the linearity is the overall 'generic' feel - in SR1, every area had its own theme and enemies that related to each particular vampire clan, culminating with the boss vampire. It felt very cohesive and consistent (i.e. Dumah vampires were bulky, Zephon vampires were arachnid, Melchiah vampires were Nosferatu-like, etc.)

In SR2, all I'm fighting are non-descript mummies in non-descript tombs with minor Egyptian motifs streaked with garish purple. Maybe it gets better later on (I'm just now returning to the Sarafan stronghold), but so far it's really lame.

Also, the powerups feel very underwhelming compared to the first game. Where before you killed a vampire brother and inherited their particular ability (phasing, climbing walls, swimming, etc.), now you just stick your sword somewhere and get different coloured particles to open differently coloured doors. Yay.

spekkio

Arcane
octavius said:
I gave up on playing the Marine during lvl 2, what with no ammo and constantly spawning aliens.
octavius said:
less nerve wracking than playing a lone marine against a horde of aliens
cat.gif

Momock

Augur
One small problem is that there is something off in some diagonal jumps, I thinkg the devs need to tune a bit when the jump registers as diagonal or left/right/upwards. Other than that, which one can get used to it, the controls are tight.
Do you use the stick or the cross?

Villagkouras

Arcane
Do you use the stick or the cross?

The stick. The cross is much more responsive if you're used to it, I haven't used the cross for ages.

Towards the end I had a few cheap deaths due to jumps, but nothing particular.

BTW, I finished the main story a couple hours ago. It needs some exploration/secrets to unlock the TRUE ENDING, I'll try to do some side content, it's really fun.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Those aliens would have been a lot scarier if they didn't sound like an elephant when charging.

Also, I'm not too impressed with the level design of AvP so far.
IIRC it had the first real mirror in the history of 3D games, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom