Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

spekkio

Arcane
^ Funny stuff about RE3.
I played it twice, ~10 years ago and ~2 years ago.
First time I hated it, since it was worse that RE 1/2. :decline:
Second time I liked it very much, since it was much better than the newshit (post-2004 games). :incline:

:lol:

GeorgeWood

Educated
Haters of RE4 are really dumb. It is one of the best action-adventure games, and it basically reinvented Resident Evil in a modern AAA game experience and 10 out of 10 package.

Also, RE4 is a really cool game, with really cool bosses. True gamers are surely going to agree with me, and anyone else who disagrees will get the death kiss of Michael Corleone.

RE was good for what it was, but RE had to move on, since you can't stay as surival horror forever, you have to evolve someday. Just like Metroid moved to 3-D FPS gaming goodness.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I remember the hate for RE3 back when it came out, though it would be a decade before I played any of those games. Having finished the first 3, I'm a bit surprised of the negativity towards RE3, especially when compared to the first two. Given all the praise it receives, and still receives, I was sorely disapointed to find the first one to be so dull and that didn't encourage me to try the rest. Still, RE2 was a vast improvement over the first one and actually fun to play. The thing is that even if it's remembered for the two discs and two scenarios, those do not really change much. It may be fun to do the scenario B and see the other side of the story with the other character, but you still do the same silly puzzles and things aren't much different from one game to the other except basically the boss fights. Then I finally decided to play RE3, bearing in mind the criticism it received, and found out that once more fans of a genre or a serie are usually idiots and arbitrarily decide what is representative of a genre without care for the quality. Not only does the character control better (much of the difficulty of the RE serie so far seems to come from struggling with the controls and camera) but the semi-randomness of items and enemies adds a lot to the game. The Nemesis is also a cool antagonist, if frustrating, and much more menacing than Mr. X. It's also fun to have the game's main boss pursue you from the very start. And then there are little touches like the gun powders that let you decide which weapons you want to favour and use.

With all that now I'm kinda curious about RE4 to see if it's really as bad as I heard.

Astral Rag

Arcane
61960740715EB854776C9FF54BC417C51B31A678

spekkio

Arcane
Gragt

Try RE: CV for Dreamcast/PS2/GC first. That way you will expose yourself to the decline in small doses.
If you didn't like original RE1, try the GC/Wii remake. AFAIR controls are much better than in PS1 original. And RE0 (GC/Wii) is the last good RE game.

RE4 is to RE franchise what FT:BOS was to Fallout series. It may be considered good (some people like it, some hate it), but it's not Resident Evil.

circ

Arcane
Still a bit of Torchlight 2, which I initially discarded as shit, although I think I'm kind of leaning towards shit again, because I started to like shiny loot more than the stupid artstyle and could sort of manage with the controls from hell. It's nice that the areas change, sometimes in major ways, sometimes not so much, but would it have been so much effort to randomize the quests maybe? And considering act 3 woods area has the best mob environment interaction, maybe randomize the chapters too? And now after seeing most of what loot there is, and half of it just the same maps and textures, that's it?? Fucking Dungeon Siege 1 had more impressive loot tables, and that's got 10 years on its back, although in its defense, atleast it didn't go with DAO shoulderpad madness. Also despite DS 1 not having randomized areas, it feels a lot more fresh for replays, huge areas don't suffer from major pacing issues like in TL2, and the artwork is a lot more impressive even now than stupid cel-shaded cartoon garbage. And, it can't be that hard to make seamless area transitions, 10 years after DS 1 did it. Also they apparently had the same guy do the music that did Diablo's 1 and 2, and well, not having played 2 and 1 just barely, I fail to see the allure. It's like he's channeling Jerry Soule, only worse, although there are 2-3 pieces that work.

Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Been viciously slaughtering Divine Divinity the last week. Never got it to run properly when it launched so I got it though the GOG sale because I am lazy.

Enjoying it a lot, though combat is getting a bit tedious. Still, exploring the world is what keeps me playing. Good stuff.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I put Sword & Sorcery Underworld on hold for a bit (though I think I'm near the end) to spend some time with XCom EU which I then put on hold to spend way too much time with Dark Souls again since the Codex thread was giving me DS cravings. I don't think I've gamed this much in months.

I should get back to Underworld before I forget what I was doing though. It's a nice game.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
One of the criticism of RE4 that always comes back is that's an action game, yet from the first 3 RE I play there's also plenty of action and shooting. A bit of puzzles and exploration but most locations feature stuff that you should try to avoid or kill before they try to kill you, and the puzzles are just bad and contrived (at least RE3 bring some change by moving the pieces you need or changing the puzzle itself). By contrast Alone in the Dark, which I replayed recently, is more about exploring the myterious manor and figuring out what works with what. Given how action-oriented the RE serie is, which isn't exactly a bad thing, I wonder how RE4 differs from that to provoke so much contempt. I'll probably find out soon enough.

Ermm

Erudite
Heroes of Might & Magic: Strategic Quest.

Good game, and I really wanted to play the original HOMM.

The ''strategic'' part is really dubious, since the key to victory is just to make a bigger army, and to leave big enough army to guard your castle. Still, it's very fun game.

Also, I may be one of the few who really likes Might&Magic universe (since many have said it's just ''meh'').

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS MOUNT AND BLADE WARBAND HAS ME OBSESSED PLAYING WITH DIPLOMACY MOD THIS IS MY THIRD TIME AT THIS DIFFICULTY TO GET A GOOD KINGDOM GOIMG THE OTHER TWO WENT BADLY

AT MY GIRLFRIENDS HOUSENI PLAY VANQUISH ON THE FAGBOX BROS THAT IS TOTALLY POPAMOLE DONE TOTALLY AWESOME

Keshik

Arcane
Gabriel Knight 3, never played this before. So far, not a big fan of this interface or the 3D, I guess someone forced them to implement it this way.

Deleted member 7219

Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den (PC). Bought it ages ago but haven't actually completed it yet. I'm waiting for the final episode of The Walking Dead so I'm playing this in the meantime.

Brinko

Arcane
Replaying Rise of Nations on my laptop while I wait for my new PC parts to come in. Forgot how long a game took with max AI players.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Eador: Genesis with it's new english translation that's going to be released on GoG soonish for an upcoming review. It's addictive, fun, well written (surprise!) and low budget with a massive if protracted campaign. I'm very impressed. John Tiller Software's new Squad Battles: First World War is also up for reviewing. From what I've played so far it's another solid Squad Battles game. Trench warfare makes for surprisingly interesting scenarios and the game has loads. Quite a number of interesting linked campaigns although I'm very peeved at how Anglo-Saxon centric they are. Only one German and no French or Belgian campaigns? Not to speak of the Italians and Austro-Hungarians. Big negative for an otherwise very promising title.

And finally played a few games of The Banner Saga: Factions. It's pretty and fun. Also very much a Beta. Looking forward to seeing how this will evolve. Beating up Codexians in it should be fun as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom