Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Thane Solus

Arcane
Still playing World of Tanks. :mad:

I am quickly being reminded of why I stopped playing PvP MMOs. There's always someone better, and the better you get the more of them you run into. :oops:

Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, and Path of Exile will soon consume all of my gaming time...I'm having lots of RL drama renovating a house and getting ready to move so I want all that shit behind me before I play these great titles I've been waiting for.

Thats not really pvp, popamole pvp, still, is fun for what is. True PvP you can find in the old Ultima Online, Darkfall and EVE Online.

:flamesaw:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just finished The Book of Unwritten Tales (in English). Fucking excellent. <3 Now browsing STEAM for something to play....

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Right now, playing Anachronox and a couple Total War games in my spare time. Anachronox is pretty awesome, basically an adventure game with JRPG combat, but you can't go into it expecting a full on RPG as I did, as you'll be disappointed most likely. The game is still slightly buggy and the visuals have not aged well at all, but the setting, characters, humour and overall gameplay are pretty great and remind me why it's fun to play videogames.

Total War is okay. I got Rome and Medieval 2 (didn't get the others as I've heard they are crap and I am waiting on Shogun 2 to get a GOTY version), and while I have not played a Total War game in the past, I see the appeal. Solid strategy games and a bit more Civ-like than I initially expected. The variety in themes is also pretty cool, although the reuse of the engine and stuff means that the games are a bit *too* similar to one another. Also, the lack of proper widescreen support and the poor pathfinding bug the shit out of me.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Mount & Blade: Warband! Never played any of the series, I'm having a blast playing like a retarded psycho, fighting alone 20 men, just to be taken prisioner after killing half of them, then escaping again and repeating the process. Also tried to raid a village by myself and killed 40 farmers alone before finally being k.O.'ed.

Topher

Cipher
Let's see I started playing Avernum(sp?) on my iPad, mechanically it leaves a lot to be desired, so I started up Legends of Grimrock, which also leaves a lot to be desired but is pretty fun nonetheless.

Beyond that I messed around with Guild Wars 2 for a bit but dropped it at level 16 because I just couldn't stomach the level-scaling (reverse-scaling? or whatever it is) anymore and I've started a game of Borderlands 2 but at level 11 I'm already bored of it as well; almost as if all of my old Borderlands fatigue from last year carried straight over.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I got Rome and Medieval 2 (didn't get the others as I've heard they are crap
I was gonna brofist your post for the Anachronox love, but then didn't because of this. Shogun is the best TW game. Get that one.

Initially I had only Shogun. A few years ago I got a pack that included Shogun, Medieval and Rome with all their expansions. Always wondered why I bothered.

titus

Arcane
Patron
Also, the lack of proper widescreen support and the poor pathfinding bug the shit out of me.

IIRC they have wide-screen support. Even Rome. You have the option for wide screen somewhere at video options.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I was gonna brofist your post for the Anachronox love, but then didn't because of this. Shogun is the best TW game. Get that one.
Shogun wasn't on sale on Steam. I was referring to Napoleon and Empire.

IIRC they have wide-screen support. Even Rome. You have the option for wide screen somewhere at video options.
Sorta. The "widescreen" option gives you a 16:9 perspective, but if you have a 16:10 monitor it will stretch the image out vertically. Additionally, no matter what option you pick, the HUD will stretch, so you get ovals instead of circles etc. That kind of thing really tends to get on my nerves.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm pretty sure I played Rome on my 16:10 in the old days, before the consoletard 16:9 became widespread, and it looked good.. will check when I get home.

I'm actually playing Shogun 2 again, got Fall of the Samurai last night on the 75% off sale so I've yet to try that out. I still consider Shogun 2 the best in the series, apart from the setting. (And the crazy zerg rush in the mid-game.) But adding some more boomsticks, iron horses and other crazy contraptions obtained from the treacherous round-eyes should make battles more interesting again. I hope.

titus

Arcane
Patron
I'm pretty sure I played Rome on my 16:10 in the old days, before the consoletard 16:9 became widespread, and it looked good.. will check when I get home.

I'm actually playing Shogun 2 again, got Fall of the Samurai last night on the 75% off sale so I've yet to try that out. I still consider Shogun 2 the best in the series, apart from the setting. (And the crazy zerg rush in the mid-game.) But adding some more boomsticks, iron horses and other crazy contraptions obtained from the treacherous round-eyes should make battles more interesting again. I hope.

He's right. There is a little stretching on a 16:10 resolution, I just tried it. Even with mods. But it's not very noticeable. To me, at least.
Anyway sea if it's bothering you can disable scaling on the monitor and set up the game to run in the highest 16:9 resolution. You'll have some black bars in there though.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Dayz went to shit and I think i finally explored every single place in New Vegas, i don't feel like playing Starcraft 2 much these days so i... i ... reinstalled Baldur's Gate + TotSC and i'm playing it again. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anyway sea if it's bothering you can disable scaling on the monitor and set up the game to run in the highest 16:9 resolution. You'll have some black bars in there though.
Yeah I know, I have a custom 1680x945 resolution defined specifically for dealing with games that don't play nice with 16:10. I can live with the HUD stretch I guess but it still baffles me how developers to this day seem to have no idea how to make properly scaling HUDs.

tindrli

Arcane
FTL
The binding of issaac
Torchlight II
Demise asc.
Borderlands 2

and im installing thief to try those new stuff

Oesophagus

Arcane
I'm gonna give Jagged Alliance: BiA a go

:mob::declining::flamesaw:

Just because I'm curious how they've implemented RT combat

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands bought it at the GOG sale (and Grand Inquisitor). Basically a Myst like with music from MARK FUCKING MORGAN <3 <3 <3 Don't know if Grand Inquisitor also has Mark though.

I can't believe how long it took me to figure out how to unlock that first door in the Zork Nemesis.

EpicPicardFacepalm.jpg

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So I just "played" Dear Esther because a friend gave it to me. The atmosphere, look and sound etc. is pretty good albeit a bit too depressing, the story is pretty ambigious but I think I got the gist of it. All cool and dandy if the actual "gameplay" wouldnt be so mind numbingly boring. Couldnt they atleast increase the fucking walking speed a bit for fucks sake?

Brinko

Arcane
Been replaying Total Annihilation again after installing the 4.0 beta patch. I think it might've fucked up the targeting for units though as now they seem to always gun for construction units instead of whatever was closest. Hopefully this gets addressed because all their new additions are pretty damn good.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Been playing Binding of Isaac again recently, completed the game for the 10th time and so unlocked "???", also completed most of the challenges (Wrath of the Lamb). So, for the Isaac fans Metro @damnedregistrations and others I forgot, is FTL a worthy alternative ? I'm afraid of it turning into a click-fest.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Recently downloaded a bunch of PS1 classics for my Playstation Vita. Among them Rayman 2 and Toy Story 2, two simple yet somehow really enjoyable games from my childhood.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Dragon Commander is taking it's sweet time to get here.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Been playing Binding of Isaac again recently, completed the game for the 10th time and so unlocked "???", also completed most of the challenges (Wrath of the Lamb). So, for the Isaac fans Metro @damnedregistrations and others I forgot, is FTL a worthy alternative ? I'm afraid of it turning into a click-fest.
I've sunken a lot of time into Binding of Isaac and I think FTL is a good alternative, but doesn't replace Isaac. FTL is good but Isaac is just the game to waste time on, they have a very different feel to them, Isaac more player-skill based and FTL relying heavily on luck. I heartily recommend it though, great fun and doesn't take so long a game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Unfortunately I can't help you out on that. While FTL looks good I usually wait for all indie games (unless they're something I absolutely know I'll like, e.g. Orcs Must Die 2 and TL2) to hit bundles before I pick them up given my backlog.

Just to add to the thread topic I've been playing Rochard from the latest Humble Bundle. It's a great example of how indie studios should tackle their first projects. Normally I'm against puzzle platformers (tired of them) but it's a nice little self-contained game that doesn't do anything amazing but does a good job at delivering a polished project that's easy to pickup, fun to play, and can be enjoyed in small bursts. Of course I know some people don't like the Unity engine and stylized 'cartoony' graphics but I think it fits the setting well. The story isn't anything amazing but it doesn't need to be.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I stuck a recently bought Voodoo3 card in my reclaimed Win98 powered P3, hooked up my trusty Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro from 1997, and have FINALLY for the first time been able to play all those 3dfx only flight sims along with Lands of Lore 2 with hardware acceleration without all the associate problems and artifacts of wrappers(assuming they even work, which they don't do properly for games like LOL2 or Jane's Longbow 3dfx version which won't even install the 3dfx patch without a real 3dfx card in the box). So I'm playing each in turn now. Good stuff.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Been playing Resident Evil 3 for fun, and, well, as much as the second one is easy, they should have called this one Resident Evil 3: Sodomy. Ok, it would be easier if I didn't chose to fight the Sodomisator each time, but I'm a completionist and if I know he drops weapons parts, well … At least I got good at it, even with the basic pistol. I quite like the difficulty though, and the randomness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom