Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Played a couple of demos, already posted my thoughts here.
Also played through Slave Zero X: Episode Enyo, a mod for Quake which declares itself prequel to an old game called Slave Zero. People were saying it's good so i tried it, it's indeed pretty good.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Its a fun enough game. I like the visuals and varied looking levels. Guns are fun as well. Its got different design philosophy than Unreal thats for sure.
Worse thing about it was the slow movement speed to be honest.
Not as bad as some would have you think.
Still not as awesome as Unreal, a step back.
Just finished Return to Na Pali, a pretty good expansion, all things considered, now playing Unreal 2.
Yeah, the movement speed is really slow, I think they justified it by saying that the Power Armor you are wearing slows you down, but I don't buy it.
Very cool presentation, the Unreal Engine 2 is showing its best here.
Rather generic arsenal, no Flak Cannon, BIO Rifle or Shock Rifle.
Gameplay is really not as smooth as Unreal 1 or UT99. Does feel like a Tech Demo at times (which it kinda is, I guess).
Oh, and Aida's boobs...
A BIG factor in the game's favor.
Yeah.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I wonder if its easy to edit a config file or something and speed up the walk.
I did it in Doom3 plus made weapons more deadly and the game was super fun that way.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I wonder if its easy to edit a config file or something and speed up the walk.
I did it in Doom3 plus made weapons more deadly and the game was super fun that way.
Setspeed 1.5 or 2 with the Console.
Type "Bemymonkey" first, then add the command.

I'm now at the "Hell" mission.
This one is really cool, having to fight those mutated spiders in a Axon Corp Facility. Almost feels like the original Unreal game, which is great.

Last edited:

Renfri

Cipher
I finished project of playing all 3 Deus Ex games during period of about 2 weeks. I had only tried first title little bit very long time ago. Some thoughts on games...

First Deus Ex: Extra cool main character and I loved sneaking around. Game made me feel like genius several times. Story was really nice, I liked how there was all sorts of conspiracy theories included even the Knights Templar. Soundtrack was amazing too. Only things I could criticize was one of the boss battles and monastery map layout. I laughed out many times cos of goofy NPCs. When I first arrived in Hong Kong I ran around more than 10 mins completely lost like an idiot. Great game.

:5/5:

Human Revolution: I think this was overall well made. French Canadians did pretty decent job of taking over the IP. I liked characters here and soundtrack was once again great. Piling boxes was somehow extremely satisfying like WTF. DLC quest Missing Link was really great fun. I think ending could have used some work, literally choosing which button to click was really lame. But still game was nice.

:4/5:

Mankind Divided: basically many ways HR, but more, but also cut short. I think game could have used change from Prague more, and there lockdown was just annoying. Adam Jensen is decent character, perhaps too strong by default. I thought it was nice that game first limited how much fancy augments you could use, but later you could go all in. I think that was perhaps too much. When ending credits started rolled I was confused how did it end already. I thought DLC would have fixed that, but nope. Criminal Past DLC was awesome though and System Rift DLC was alright.

:3.5/5:

I enjoyed my Deus Ex experience, now time to read book or something...

Ezekiel

Arcane
Giving Streets of Rage 3 another try. Plays crappier, looks crappier, sounds crappier, and Electra and her sisters no longer dress like dominatrices. The double-tap movement is so dumb. You can't hit people when they are partly outside the frame anymore.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I finished project of playing all 3 Deus Ex games during period of about 2 weeks. I had only tried first title little bit very long time ago. Some thoughts on games...

First Deus Ex: Extra cool main character and I loved sneaking around. Game made me feel like genius several times. Story was really nice, I liked how there was all sorts of conspiracy theories included even the Knights Templar. Soundtrack was amazing too. Only things I could criticize was one of the boss battles and monastery map layout. I laughed out many times cos of goofy NPCs. When I first arrived in Hong Kong I ran around more than 10 mins completely lost like an idiot. Great game.

Human Revolution: I think this was overall well made. French Canadians did pretty decent job of taking over the IP. I liked characters here and soundtrack was once again great. Piling boxes was somehow extremely satisfying like WTF. DLC quest Missing Link was really great fun. I think ending could have used some work, literally choosing which button to click was really lame. But still game was nice.

Mankind Divided: basically many ways HR, but more, but also cut short. I think game could have used change from Prague more, and there lockdown was just annoying. Adam Jensen is decent character, perhaps too strong by default. I thought it was nice that game first limited how much fancy augments you could use, but later you could go all in. I think that was perhaps too much. When ending credits started rolled I was confused how did it end already. I thought DLC would have fixed that, but nope. Criminal Past DLC was awesome though and System Rift DLC was alright.

Why not also play Invisible War?

Renfri

Cipher

Why not also play Invisible War?
Eventually.

Viata

Arcane
Giving Streets of Rage 3 another try. Plays crappier, looks crappier, sounds crappier, and Electra and her sisters no longer dress like dominatrices. The double-tap movement is so dumb. You can't hit people when they are partly outside the frame anymore.
The japanese version has some different from the western ones:
When the game was localized from the original Japanese version to the English-language release, significant changes were made. The clothing of the three returning heroes (Axel, Blaze, and Sammy) was altered from their original colors seen in previous Streets of Rage games, the female enemy characters wore less-revealing outfits, and a sub-boss named "Ash", a gay stereotype, was removed from the English version (though he is still accessible in Streets of Rage 3 as a playable character via cheating and/or hacking). The voice-effects were also changed, with most noticeably Axel's catchphrase of "Grand Upper" for his blitz move being replaced with "Bare Knuckle".

Another notable difference between the two games is the plot: The Japanese version of the story opens with a new explosive substance called "Raxine",https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streets_of_Rage_3#cite_note-4 discovered by a character named Dr. Gilbert (who is revealed to be the true identity of Dr. Zan), which explodes in the city and kills thousands of people. At the same time, a military general named Ivan Petrov vanishes. It is later discovered that Mr. X orchestrated the general's disappearance and plans to use Raxine to start a global war.

In the English version, all references to Raxine were removed, General Petrov was replaced by the city's Chief of Police, and the plot now involves a scheme to switch major city officials with robot clones in order to take control of the city. Another difference was if the player failed to save the general, the player has to head to what appears to be the White House. This too was changed in the English adaptation, where instead if the player failed to save the Chief, then the player has to head to City Hall, although the building depicting the City Hall is still clearly based on the White House. The bad ending sequence from the Japanese releases features a photo of a devastated city as text narrates the player's failure; this was removed in the Western releases and text scrolls upward on a black background. The credits were removed from the bad ending of the Western version (possibly to show that it was not the true ending), whereas in the Japanese version they still play.

The game's overall difficulty was also altered for the English version, with the game's Normal setting being significantly more difficult than even the Japanese version's Hard setting.

Never liked 3, that much. The OST is ok, but there is too many bad songs. I find 1 and 2 still the best, 2 being superior.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'll take Invisible War over any modern shit any day of the week.

Just finished Unreal 2.
Why did they feel the need to depart from the original's gameplay philosophy and vision is beyond me. There's some squad based stuff - you command some marines and tell them to guard this position or whatever, and can place turrets and forcefields, I think they should've left this to be a Multiplayer type of thing.
That mission on the Drakk Planet is pretty cool, almost felt like original Unreal for a while.
As it stands, game was a big step back compared to its wonderful predecessor.
I would have preferred more huge outdoor levels like in the original Unreal, with fast paced combat against the Skaarj and other enemies.
Even so, I'll still take Unreal 2 over any modern Triple A slop any day.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
That was fast. But i guess you had the speed increased.
One thing i loved about Unreal 2 is the multiplayer mode XMP. Had a ton fun playing that while it still active. Is it possible to play skirmish vs bots? I cant remember.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
One thing i loved about Unreal 2 is the multiplayer mode XMP. Had a ton fun playing that while it still active. Is it possible to play skirmish vs bots? I cant remember.
Never played the Multiplayer mode.
Is it as fun as they say?
Nowhere near as fun as UT99 I would imagine.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
A Plague Tale: Innocence (2019) - You Can (Not) Stealth

I went into this game sold by its premise: the Black Plague, the Hundred Years' War, the Middle Ages. What was not to like?

At the end of the day, games are still games. To A Plague Tale's credit, it is not a movie game. Cutscenes won't be broken up by unnecessary "press R1 to hang pendant" or the likes so prominent in modern games, absurd forced interactivity present only because devs think players need this kind of dopamine hit (which I personally never understood).

I enjoyed the story until the supernatural elements ruined it. That's all I'll say about it.

But that was not my issue with the game. The issue is the identity crisis A Plague Tale has in regards to its gameplay. It was my mistake to assume this game was a stealth game, because what begins as a stealth game ends up as an action title. Had I know this from the onset, I probably wouldn't have bothered to pick it up. Suffice it to say the game has boss fights. Yes.

The constant wavering between one genre and another that is present throughout the game is the crux of the matter. A pure stealth section is followed by a pure puzzle section, until later on scenarios mix the two of them. What is never lost, however, is the ability to skip stealth altogether by decimating your human enemies using your ever so reliable slingshot.

Normally, such a powerful tool would be best left behind as a last resort. But the game makes no attempt to present it as such; instead, you are showered with ammunition and resources to make sure this is always a viable option. What you are left with is an action-puzzle game, since rats are the only obstacle that isn't readily disposable. The one way you have to get rid of them, at a small scale, is required only to access a handfull of small "secret" areas. Towards the end of A Plague Tale, stealth is pretty much gone and it becomes a matter of how adept you are at firing your slingshot at enemies.

Overall, the gameplay is never up to the task and the story drops the ball pretty hard. I personally rate it 3/5, recommended if you enjoy the setting. The graphics are beautiful and there are lot of memorable locations worth visiting. Play with the French audio for maximum immersion. Just don't go expecting a deep gameplay experience; the gameplay feels almost like an afterthought.

The japanese version has some different from the western ones:
When the game was localized from the original Japanese version to the English-language release, significant changes were made. The clothing of the three returning heroes (Axel, Blaze, and Sammy) was altered from their original colors seen in previous Streets of Rage games, the female enemy characters wore less-revealing outfits, and a sub-boss named "Ash", a gay stereotype, was removed from the English version (though he is still accessible in Streets of Rage 3 as a playable character via cheating and/or hacking). The voice-effects were also changed, with most noticeably Axel's catchphrase of "Grand Upper" for his blitz move being replaced with "Bare Knuckle".

Another notable difference between the two games is the plot: The Japanese version of the story opens with a new explosive substance called "Raxine",https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streets_of_Rage_3#cite_note-4 discovered by a character named Dr. Gilbert (who is revealed to be the true identity of Dr. Zan), which explodes in the city and kills thousands of people. At the same time, a military general named Ivan Petrov vanishes. It is later discovered that Mr. X orchestrated the general's disappearance and plans to use Raxine to start a global war.

In the English version, all references to Raxine were removed, General Petrov was replaced by the city's Chief of Police, and the plot now involves a scheme to switch major city officials with robot clones in order to take control of the city. Another difference was if the player failed to save the general, the player has to head to what appears to be the White House. This too was changed in the English adaptation, where instead if the player failed to save the Chief, then the player has to head to City Hall, although the building depicting the City Hall is still clearly based on the White House. The bad ending sequence from the Japanese releases features a photo of a devastated city as text narrates the player's failure; this was removed in the Western releases and text scrolls upward on a black background. The credits were removed from the bad ending of the Western version (possibly to show that it was not the true ending), whereas in the Japanese version they still play.

The game's overall difficulty was also altered for the English version, with the game's Normal setting being significantly more difficult than even the Japanese version's Hard setting.

Never liked 3, that much. The OST is ok, but there is too many bad songs. I find 1 and 2 still the best, 2 being superior.
Streets of Rage 3's OST is interesting because it's sort of procedural, auto-generative. Yuzo Koshiro wrote a sort of scripting language which he termed "Automated Composing System", and he used that to lay out the songs, and fiddle with parameters here and there. The whole thing was setup like a big synthesizer. I think that's why some tracks have a really disjointed feel.

Dr1f7

Scholar
been playing Azur Lane, great game
hoping to win "South Dakota"
992px-South_Dakota.png

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Never played the Multiplayer mode.
Is it as fun as they say?
Nowhere near as fun as UT99 I would imagine.
Was more slower paced, and team oriented. Also had vehicles. It was a really cool concept and was super fun online. Honestly XMP was the best thing about Unreal 2, although single player was fun as well.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Tested it and works and looks great in Stereo3D. Might actually replay it if i can increase the move speed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom