Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

I seem to recall Doom 3 actually getting much easier over time because there was less of the enemy marines with hitscan attacks shooting you from completely dark areas as you progressed past the early game. Which funny enough is exactly the same thing that often aggravates me about design on OG Doom maps.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I seem to recall Doom 3 actually getting much easier over time because there was less of the enemy marines with hitscan attacks shooting you from completely dark areas as you progressed past the early game. Which funny enough is exactly the same thing that often aggravates me about design on OG Doom maps.
That and you also get to use the BFG...
Still, I remember there were some potentially rough fights with Hell Knights and some Chaingun Commandos.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I've been playing Far Cry Primal and it sure is A Ubisoft Far Cry Game, complete with towers and light character building and everything. Still, at least they tried something new with this one.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
At long last dived into SOMA. Going in blind, I only saw the teaser video back then with the strict redhead scolding a robot.

So far it really feels and play like a sci-fi Amnesia. I enjoyed the Dark Descent so I'm ok with it, and the robots/conscience theme is very well done and interesting. Hope it is going somewhere and will not be 15 hours of playing hide and seek with the freaking monster. Otherwise the atmosphere is top notch, sound, voice acting and visuals are well played upon to scare the living shit out of you. Also some real moments. For once I am glad to listen to audio logs.
Quality stuff right now, and glad to see some folks know their horror right.

SimTrY

Literate
Right now its songs of syx. I'm dipping my toes into Age of Decadence though. Last time i played AoD i got filtered because i was retarded.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've been playing Far Cry Primal and it sure is A Ubisoft Far Cry Game, complete with towers and light character building and everything. Still, at least they tried something new with this one.
Baby, let's get primitive.
I agree. A game set in the Prehistoric Age is at least a tad more original than the typical Ubishit "open world game".

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Tried that Godsworn demo. Not a bad RTS and looks pretty, wasn't impressed with the hero/global abilities you get and the performance is as one can expect form an indie game that runs on unity.
Godsworn_AM22xWjdgp.jpg

BruceVC

Magister
I am having great fun with Warlock of Firetop Mountain (WoFM), its delivered nicely on the nostalgic experience I was hoping for. This version has 2 main differences to the standard Fighting Fantasy books that have been converted to PC games and they include

• everytime you defeat an enemy you get souls and then with a specific number of souls you can select a new character to adventure with and each character has a different reason for going to Firetop Mountain and then the design and choices are different in certain ways. So it makes it exciting from a replaybility perspective
  • the game uses a fun grid based combat system and only uses the traditional dice based combat when you and the enemy make the same combat choice
But I have completed the main quests for 2 characters now so I will be moving on to the next game in the series which is Fighting Fantasy Legends

https://store.steampowered.com/app/496340/Fighting_Fantasy_Legends/

But WoFM gets a solid 72/100 on the globally respected " BruceVC game rating system" :cool:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Heard a loud boom as I was laying in bed this morning, followed by my uninterruptible power supplies beeping. The generator or transformer or whatever it is in the neighborhood went out again.

After turning my devices off, I turned my Switch on and tried to finish Spirits in Smash Ultimate. I've been playing that adventure mode since it came out because it's just so bland. Don't have anyone to play MP with and am not going to pay to play against online pros. Gave up on the boss rush in that Bayonetta stage with the burning spheres that you jump at to fight bosses, after the part where you become Master Hand. Was never good at the game. Maybe I'll watch the end on YT.

Saved a Junji Ito horror manga I bought a couple of months ago for this outage.

Bloons TD 6.

Monkey throw dart balloon goes pop.

Also trying Nightmare Reaper. It's an ok shooter but it feels like the levels are currently too short with too few enemies. Hopefully this changes further in.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Finished SOMA.
Overall wonderful game. It is near perfect for most things, my only real issue being with the monsters areas. While the audiovisual effects are well done and scary enough, it gets old after some time and I just wanted to get over it, and since it is the same procedure each time it loses most of its power by the end. The "easy" mode to play without having to deal with them may actually be the best option to fully enjoin the game world and its numerous details. It does make moments of reprieve quite enjoyable though.

Otherwise it is awesome. Writing is toppest notch, voice acting for once works, it is gorgeous visually and takes you to places never seen in any other game. Also, the game comes with an archive crammed with design documents and concept arts.
So all good, if you plan to ever play SOMA do yourself a favor and don't read anything about it beforehand.

It is my pleasure to give it a good :5/5:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Completed all the maps my current version of Alkaline had. After that i installed the latest 1.2 version in order to check the new features/maps and i am already seeing some fancy new things like new interface and different weapon models.
quakespasmsdl12mgSV5.png

People say these maps are like the sci-fi version of the arcane dimensions. A fair comparison methinks.

And now that i am in FPS mood again i also tried Hands of Necromancy.
It's like Hexen only level navigation is less confusing and enemies are not as annoying. Unfortunately, not as pretty as Hexen.
handsofnecromancyXjg.png

You don't do a lot of necromancy despite the name of the game. You get a pickup that can revive a fallen enemy as an ally and that's it.
You do however get an ability to transform into a certain monsters which will open you an access to a new areas, like crashing certain walls as a golem or entering small holes as a snake. You can also use these forms for combat, biting zombies and wizards in the balls as a snake is surprisingly effective.
Your frost spell can also freeze frost golems for some reason.

Dr1f7

Scholar
Finished SOMA.
Overall wonderful game. It is near perfect for most things, my only real issue being with the monsters areas. While the audiovisual effects are well done and scary enough, it gets old after some time and I just wanted to get over it, and since it is the same procedure each time it loses most of its power by the end. The "easy" mode to play without having to deal with them may actually be the best option to fully enjoin the game world and its numerous details. It does make moments of reprieve quite enjoyable though.

Otherwise it is awesome. Writing is toppest notch, voice acting for once works, it is gorgeous visually and takes you to places never seen in any other game. Also, the game comes with an archive crammed with design documents and concept arts.
So all good, if you plan to ever play SOMA do yourself a favor and don't read anything about it beforehand.

It is my pleasure to give it a good :5/5:
i had a similar experience with dark descent, where about 3/4 of the way through I was like "ok yeah i get it let's wrap it up bro" and trying to just speed run thru the sections that were supposed to be scary

I thought machine for pigs was interesting because after a few hours of being 'scary' it had a mood-shift to 'outrageous over the top kinda funny and cool' that I thought was handled really well so it didn't get stale

either way both are some of my fav games of all time and i still need to play thru soma

Ezekiel

Arcane
One issue I had with SOMA is that
the protagonist was a moron. Even after everything he saw and everything she told him, he was surprised and upset with her when the same thing happened to him in the end. What did he THINK would happen? I often have trouble paying attention to video game stories as I interact, and I still understood and expected it. His reaction was annoying.
Anyway, never thought immortalizing oneself by digitizing one's brain was appealing, because it has been obvious to me that it would be a COPY of the original for as long as I've thought about it.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought that I had taken some screenshots of my Battle for Esturia playthrough, but it seems that F12 screen caps don't seem to work. Anyway, I picked a hoplite as my starting character, and I now have a party of six. My main, another hoplite, a ranger, a barbarian, a priest, and an elementalist. The game is fairly simple, but fun and charming in its own way. I have murderhobo'd everything that I possibly can. I dig the graphics and music.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
i had a similar experience with dark descent, where about 3/4 of the way through I was like "ok yeah i get it let's wrap it up bro" and trying to just speed run thru the sections that were supposed to be scary

I thought machine for pigs was interesting because after a few hours of being 'scary' it had a mood-shift to 'outrageous over the top kinda funny and cool' that I thought was handled really well so it didn't get stale

either way both are some of my fav games of all time and i still need to play thru soma
It've been a decade since I've played the Dark Descent so my memory is hazy, but I found SOMA superior on all point. Visual design and voice acting in particular are among the very best I've ever experienced.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Update on Hands of Necromancy, just beaten what i assume the first chapter boss. I want to warn people that this game has some optimisation issues.
Didn't encounter any technical issues apart from a few barely noticable stutters if the map was too big but the moment this fellow started throwing shit at me
handsofnecromancyDyz.jpg

my fps dropped to the stone age computer standarts. Turning off certain graphic settings helped a little bit.
Surprisingly the thing that helped me the most was the torch powerup that turns up the brightness just like in Heretic/Hexen. I only had one left before reaching the boss but that was enough to turn this fight into something one can actually play.
Have barely any idea what special effect causes this but i hope the next boss doesn't use as many. I will be hoarding the torches.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished Stasis. Really good story about science gone mad in space. The art is cool as fuck and there are lots of interesting ways to kill yourself. A lot of extra story is told through journal entries, so if that bothers you, maybe it's not for you, but I liked it. I followed this walkthrough when I got stuck, it's spoiler free as long as you don't read ahead. There's also a full list for the suicide achievements at the bottom of the guide.

Going to move onto their follow up Cayne (which is free BTW).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Playing Conan Exiles right now. Never really played a hardcore survival-crafting title before. Started to panic about starving because plants, insects and turtle-thing eggs weren't really filling me up and my hunger indicators keep depleting dangerously fast. Then I killed a couple of nearby human exiles like myself, filleted them, cooked the pieces over an open fire like christmas chestnuts a'roasting, and gorged on their flesh (the game doesn't judge, so please don't judge me either). Suddenly my hunger meter went straight to maximum. I think I'm finally getting the hang of Conan Exiles, or at least not starving. I feel good.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It's like Hexen only level navigation is less confusing and enemies are not as annoying. Unfortunately, not as pretty as Hexen.
handsofnecromancyXjg.png

You don't do a lot of necromancy despite the name of the game.

After recently playing the NWN module Bone Kenning I, I was looking for a necromancy-themed game where you can really cut loose and have a no holds barred blast. Saw Gedonia mentioned in another topic but then discovered you only get 4 measly and pathetic skellingtons as minions. That simply won't do. If I can't raise an army of undead that turns the land black to assimilate the living of entire countries like the Night King, it's just not worth playing. So I went with being a compulsive cannibal in Conan Exiles instead. Hopefully there's necromancy in it later. Baby back rib steps.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Finished Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim.

In many ways, inferior to The Oath in Felghana. And that's a good thing™, because it came before it, meaning Falcom learned from the first game in this engine. Combos are simpler, bosses are more boring (they are usually grindfests in that there's not much strategy to tackle them), there's A LOT of backtracking, some goddamn infuriating dungeons, and the experience is worse as a result. There's little perspective changes compared to Felghana (where perspective would change from overhead to sidescroller from time to time, reminiscent of Wanderers from Ys, which Felghana is a remake of).

That said, I thought it was a neat game, but I'm glad to be over with it. Worth mentioning is that I played this one on Nightmare difficulty, whereas I played Felghana in Hard. Even then, I thought Felghana was the harder game just because of how complicated boss attack patterns were in comparison.

I've also "finished" The Witcher III: Wild Hunt. I completed the MQ, but frankly after playing Felghana and Napishtim back to back, I couldn't continue playing this game seeing how much it wasted my time, and how fucking nonsensical it was. Having Harpies that completely decimate you because of their high level just makes the MQ that much retarded (they would have done quick work of the last boss). Exploration that isn't worthwile, combat that feels the same as when you first started the game. And an open world that takes ages to traverse just to take in the sights.

Overall, a bad game with interesting quests, for the most part. That's literally the only thing that kept me going. Otherwise I would have dropped it two hours into it. Couldn't be bothered to play the expansions afterwards.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Completed all the maps my current version of Alkaline had. After that i installed the latest 1.2 version in order to check the new features/maps and i am already seeing some fancy new things like new interface and different weapon models.
quakespasmsdl12mgSV5.png

People say these maps are like the sci-fi version of the arcane dimensions. A fair comparison methinks.

handsofnecromancyXjg.png

You don't do a lot of necromancy despite the name of the game. You get a pickup that can revive a fallen enemy as an ally and that's it.
You do however get an ability to transform into a certain monsters which will open you an access to a new areas, like crashing certain walls as a golem or entering small holes as a snake. You can also use these forms for combat, biting zombies and wizards in the balls as a snake is surprisingly effective.
Your frost spell can also freeze frost golems for some reason.
What is the link to this again? It seems to have avoided my boomer-shooter radar or memory atm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom