Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Bro I'm pretty sure you meant going backwards to Fallout again.

Humanophage

Arcane
Games I played for any substantial amount of time throughout this and the previous year, in reverse order, with subjective ratings based on enjoyment in this particular playthrough (e.g., I certainly think BG2 is higher than 6/10 in general):
* Space Rangers 2 HD - 7/10. Used to like it in the past, but now it appears too focused on monotonous trade. Combat is also unexciting - you just fly around dispensing missiles. Highly immersive, however.
* Battle Brothers - 7.5/10. A little unbalanced and random at present, but certainly promising; will play once a fuller version with orc invasions is released.
* Eador - 9/10. An excellent TBS; the strongest component is exploration. Fighting other AI-controlled mages is a lot less interesting than investigating special locations though.
Twilight Struggle - 6.5/10. A very convenient iPad port, but the AI is preposterously bad, though I was still able to have fun while figuring out how primitive it was. Must be excellent for hotseat.
Baldur's Gate 2 (German) - 6/10. Not terribly fun to replay, it turns out, and it is a little exhausting to play something in a language you do not know well.
* Faster Than Light - 7/10. By far not my first FTL bout. One of those games where dying and starting over is not a problem at all (unlike in BB). Will return to it later.
NEO Scavenger - 4/10. Good concept, but I am not a fan of puzzle-like operations with items, which are the centre-piece here.
* Xenonauts - 7.5/10. Enemy turns take too long, but otherwise an excellent variation of X-Com. Nice setting and design, too.
Crusader Kings 2 - 8.5/10. Created a unified, highly advanced and well-fortified Georgian state that could withstand both the Muslims and the Mongols.
Victoria 2 (POP Demand) - 7.5/10. Tried to create a progressive, non-violent Morocco, and ended up the eighth great power. A little too uneventful and easy.
Underrail - 9/10. One of the top RPGs I played in terms of atmosphere. Great exploration, interesting character-building (I had a stealth psionic).
Hearthstone - 7/10. Wanted to reach a certain rank to prove that I can compete in popular games. It is too addictive and time-consuming, however, and everyone has a ton of powerful uniques even at rank 10.
Victoria 2 (New World Order) - 9.5/10. Played for South Africa, managed to preserve apartheid. The game makes you check historical documentaries, read relevant books, examine statistics, etc.
* Darkest Dungeon - 7/10. Once you speed up the animation, this becomes the perfect game to keep your attention while you listen to audiobooks.

The asterisk marks games that I played while listening to audiobooks. Eador and Darkest Dungeon fared especially well.

Fallout 1.5 is next on the list, but I am a little wary of starting it, as it is probably a giant time-sink.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't know why people keep rating my post retarded. Is that enormous butthurt beceause I don't like Fallout 2? Beceause game bored me?
Is it that triggering?

Can't speak for the others (and I haven't rated your post myself) but in regards to Fallout 2 I don't see why you'd get so much hate. Fallout 2 has problems that Fallout 1 did not, and can get boring in some places.

As for Fallout 3 - yeah, you deserve whatever is thrown at you for playing that one. Especially if you're playing it again.

Dux

Arcane
I wanted to comment a little bit on a few games which I finished recently - all golden oldies:

X-COM: Enemy Unknown (1994) :5/5:

X-Com was one game that I didn't really play when I was younger, for one reason or another. I remember playing some Syndicate and Jagged Alliance but this game kind of just flew me by, as it were. I kind of regret that, having played it now. It is a rock solid game, despite the fact that the turn-based combat was still in its early stages of refinement. It could be a little jarring going from JA2 to the old X-COM. The formula had come some way. Anyway, I think I got lucky in my playthrough as the Heavy Plasma was made available to me really early on. It gave me an edge which lasted the rest of the game. Some frustrating parts were the suicidal civilians during the terror missions, deliberately running toward alien positions. I say deliberately because I can't interpret their actions any other way. Well, that or just having bad AI. I stopped caring after a while and just concentrated on keeping my own crew alive. I still got the points needed to keep me afloat. Another frustrating aspect were the alien leaders and commanders - which you have to capture later on as part of the endgame. I never could figure out how to tell them apart from regular soldiers. A Section Leader, for example, looked just like a regular Sectoid - I'm sure of it. Whatever, it didn't really matter in the end. The inclusion of actual names for each individual soldier was also quite nice. I had a guy called Rachid who lasted all the way from the beginning to the end. In my head he became like a Sgt. Apone (from Aliens) type character, a lovable yet stern team leader. I never got to experience an alien retaliation, though. Don't know why. In conclusion the game was a great experience and quite addicting.

Shadow Warrior (1997) :5/5:

This was an old favourite from my childhood that I was excited to revisit. This game is just a fantastic action game. Much like Blood, it has sublime level design, satisfying gun-play, an entertaining protagonist and memorable enemies. It was so refreshing going back to an FPS that is open and actually requires you to think in order to complete levels. It's not just run and gun through corridors. That kind of shit is likely to get you killed fast. The game tested both my reflexes and my brain, which I liked. Those hornets can go straight to hell, though. One of the more enduring and charming traits of games such as this is that you do get stuck from time to time, simply because the levels are anything but straightforward. It forces you to explore and that's when you tend to find secrets and other cool stuff. This game rightfully belongs in the pantheon of FPSes, alongside games like Blood and...

Quake (1996) :5/5:

It shares Shadow Warrior's old-school gameplay elements of chasing keys and secrets with reasonably open levels, although not to the same extent. The level design is still quite genius and stands as a shining example. It is a game which oozes atmosphere. In fact, there are few games out there which can match it in this regard. It is fast-paced and filled with adrenaline - as well as being thoroughly evil. It is quite different from its sequel, especially with the whole Cthulhu thing going on and the hilariously wordy epilogues. I hadn't played this gem in a really long time so this was a blast. Having to switch weapons to suit certain enemy types add some strategy to the mix, like pointlessly wasting shells on Death Knights when you can down them with nails instead or trying to kill a Shambler with anything other than a lightning gun. Those goddamn Ogres with their ultra accurate grenades too. I swear the times they've managed to fit one of those damn things through the smallest gaps, fucking me up royally. Or those Vores launching those tracking projectiles. One of the funniest moments I had was when I turned tail trying to evade those things coming for me, always thinking I was safe prematurely only to see the glowing balls coming around a corner and detonating right in my face. Good times.

Machocruz

Arcane
Went on a little AAA binge. Needless to say, I didn't make it very far.

Dying Light - Good first person platforming and melee, and one of the less obnoxious open worlds, but the checkpoint system is cancer. May pick up again when I have absolutely nothing else to do.

The Witcher 3 - Beautiful world, but core mechanics are not at all interesting or fun, too much garbage scrap to pick up, and I don't give a shit about Gerald. The first Witcher game entertained me far more for some reason. Witcher vision is a waste of time, who at CDPR thought this added anything to the game? The game isn't bad, but there is a lack of proportion in the praise. There is nothing here that hasn't been done as well or better elsewhere, so what is the new genre standard it's setting?

Battlefield 4 - My connections sucks, so frustrating deaths abound. But the maps are mostly boring anyway. And Origin is cancer. Had WAY more fun with Battlefield Bad Company 2, even though I prefer 3 and 4's weapon customization and attention to detail. (no selective fire in BC2). It's also frustrating when no one can take out the fucking enemy vehicles for nearly the entire round. Base spawns seem too vulnerable.

Just Cause 2 - Hilarious, but starts out poorly. Would have loved something like this in the PS2 days when GTA3 imitation was still kind of fresh and I liked shit like Mercenaries.

Resident Evil 7 - I guess when it comes to popamole, I'm into the more linear fare. The most satisfying of this list. Looks great, Sounds great, effective atmosphere, doesn't outstay its welcome, focused design, concrete goals.

Last edited:

KK1001

Arbiter
Linear popamole is sadly best popamole. Open world is a fucking meme that just won't die.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Been raiding ISOzone for some childhood favs that I haven't played in 10 + years. I'm actually playing and enjoying games again. Its a miracle!

Diablo 1 - Maybe because I'm so use to today's ARPGs, but this game is kicking my ass. Dem' caves levels man. Progress is slow. Even though the scariness and mystery of the game I experienced when I was 13 is gone, I can still say diablo1 is the best and most balanced arpg around.

Throne of Darkness - been dabbing at this one. Another arpg I use to own. Bought this one back in the day because it was heavily marketed on Arcanum's products and vica versa. One of most difficult and annoying ARPGs I've played. Still like it though. Lots of unique features.

DW Bradleys Wizards & Warriors - remember when you were a dumb kid and tried to play PC games on your parents shit computer that only had a integrated 4mb graphics chip? It may have run at 5 fps on the lowest setting, and load times were 1 minute, but i didn't even seem to notice or care at the time. Haven't really revisited it yet, just did a test run to make sure it runs in win7. Its priority on my agend.

Descent to Under mountain - Its a good game. I bought at full price when it released. Its a good game. Store would not let me return it because its a good game. I was 15 at the time...Saved 2 months and did odd jobs like sucking my uncles dick so I could buy this great game. Its a good game, guys. It gives me great joy to revisit MCAs greatest hit. Its a good game.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I started questioning my existence as a gamer.
Is it fun? Am I having fun? Had I ever having fun?
What gives me fun?
It feels like depression. The more I play the more hollow I fell.
Everything is just walking and gathering better weapons and armors. Quests are just excuse to give me experience. Ten seconds or ten hours later, it doesn't matter, I will be doing the same.

Is it beggining of the end? Have I crossed entire plateu of live and only thing that awaits me is abyss on the end?

Or is it just 3 hours of Fallout 3 that pushed me into madness?

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DW Bradleys Wizards & Warriors - remember when you were a dumb kid and tried to play PC games on your parents shit computer that only had a integrated 4mb graphics chip? It may have run at 5 fps on the lowest setting, and load times were 1 minute, but i didn't even seem to notice or care at the time. Haven't really revisited it yet, just did a test run to make sure it runs in win7. Its priority on my agend.

It's actually really good, if you can adjust to the combat (which is not bad either, just not traditional) -- and get it to actually run without too many issues.

Twilight Struggle - 6.5/10. A very convenient iPad port, but the AI is preposterously bad, though I was still able to have fun while figuring out how primitive it was. Must be excellent for hotseat.
Underrail - 9/10. One of the top RPGs I played in terms of atmosphere. Great exploration, interesting character-building (I had a stealth psionic).

Ah, Twilight Struggle! That's one that I bought in its tabletop format, but since my gaming groups are 3+ people most of the time (and I'm the only one who keeps a private Cold War-themed library, so I pretty much have a hard-on for the theme), I hardly ever play it. I ended up buying the Steam release. Yes, the AI's silly; this is one of those games where knowledge of the game is a major advantage, and the AI's really easy to beat.

Regarding Underrail, you couldn't have picked a finer game. I'm on my third playthrough now. I played a jack-of-all-trades that got me to the final boss but couldn't beat it, an unarmed+psychic build with which I beat the game (I hear they're gimped now) and an assault rifle build that's pretty much easy mode.

What the fuck you are not Serious_Business. End this travesty
No, I am not, what the fuck is wrong with you? What do I have to do? Change my avatar? Get the mods to make Goatse available and I'll gladly change it. Feliks Edmundovich or Otto Skorzeny will also work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom