Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Tag Unkillable Cat with Emotionally engaged by pusses.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished Bird Story, which is basicly a visual novel. Only 2 hours long, and there is basicly no gameplay, but it tells a beautiful story.

Then started to play The Dark Mod, doing the St. Lucia's Tears mission. I'm only at the beginning, but holy shit this game has amazing atmosphere and graphics.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Basically at the end of Metro 2033. Some thoughts:

- The atmosphere is excellent, I played with original audio and subs, but most background conversations are not translated.. I might have missed some interesting/important things.
- First 1/3 of the game feels quite on-rails, but the gun-play is pretty good, ammo is scarce, and fucking gas mask filters..you cannot just loiter around.
- After that game becomes more stealth-oriented (while keeping the frontal assault option open) with some difficult parts here and there.
- Last part, let's say from Polis onward, is a bit of a mindfuck, has difficult segments, and the Darkstar base is just amazing visually and atmosphere wise
- I'm pretty butthurt the second ending is so hard to get, checking Steam stats 3% of players have it. I also didn't get it. Might try a Ranger playthrough but I really disliked certain sections of the game.
- Didn't get to use all available weapons, somehow missed out on the Volt Driver. Another reason to play again.

Not sure about playing Metro Last Light, from what I've read it has basically most of the same locations.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Not sure about playing Metro Last Light, from what I've read it has basically most of the same locations.
Nah... Metro Last Light has some nice new locations, the major problems that makes it an inferior sequel aren't even on the locations but:
Dumb down stealth system + blind enemies = easy as fuck game.
The story took a nose dive in comparison with the first one, what is a big problem on a storyfag shooter. All that feeling of you exploring a mystery from Metro 2033 give away to boring political fighting. I wasn't the slightest interested on russian nazies and russian commies reenacting second world war in the sewers, that was the least interesting thing for me on the Metro world.
Even more popamole sections, there is a boss that you have to lead to a few stone pillars for it to smash and take the whole place down, I felt I was playing a Mario game at that point.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Basically at the end of Metro 2033. Some thoughts:
- The atmosphere is excellent, I played with original audio and subs, but most background conversations are not translated.. I might have missed some interesting/important things.

Yeah, this annoyed me. Game with good atmosphere where only major NPCs speak proper language whiler background use orkish dialekt. Bleh.

DeepOcean

Arcane
you are right the Nazi vs. Commie was least interesting story-wise (but good stealth sections).
Yeah, I quite liked the front lines level on Metro 2033 in terms of sneaking, the story concept was ridiculous and poorly explained but the map allowed some nice sneaking and fighting pathways what is very rare on a linear shooter these days, it is a pity the sequel doesn't has maps that come even close to that level of sneaking.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Last Light isn't a particularly bad game. The gunplay's much better and there's a wider variety of interesting weapons to choose from; it has a couple of really well-done sections (i.e. the swamp level); and it's as atmospheric as ever. It's just admittedly dumbed down compared to 2033.

It doesn't have any section that's comparable to the fucking Library though, god that bit was tense as fuck. One thing I dislike about Last Light/2033 redux was the redesign of the Librarians. They went from these fucking weird and disturbingly-proportioned monstrosities in the original to generic looking hairless gorillas.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It was funny how throughout the game I thought that at the end I would not want to use the missiles and try a "peaceful" solution, but after the library where at a point I was just fucking running for my life instead of daring to look onto these monsters, and further on in D6 where the sense of despair and no-going-back becomes overwhelming, I understood the nature of man was to fight until the end, in a way like climbing up the radio tower with no way to get back down easily, down to the last clip of premium ammo, somehow clinging on to the icy ladder.. much like human society somehow clinging on to social structures and decency in the remains of the metro lines.. I came to realize that man had to do everything possible to survive, and I actually want to launch the nuke, whether it will work or not, because all we can do is try - we must try.. for there is no going back.

0oPJVjE.jpg

(just need to get through those mind-bending corriors in dream-state or whatever you call it)

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Last Light isn't a particularly bad game. The gunplay's much better and there's a wider variety of interesting weapons to choose from; it has a couple of really well-done sections (i.e. the swamp level); and it's as atmospheric as ever. It's just admittedly dumbed down compared to 2033.

It doesn't have any section that's comparable to the fucking Library though, god that bit was tense as fuck. One thing I dislike about Last Light/2033 redux was the redesign of the Librarians. They went from these fucking weird and disturbingly-proportioned monstrosities in the original to generic looking hairless gorillas.

I don't know, that part of the game where you enter that room and a bunch of corpses started appearing and messes with your vision was pretty damn freaky.

Modron

Arcane
Playing through Baldur's Gate, go in through the back entrance of firewine dungeon clear 90 percent of it going to finish mapping it and leave front entrance have thief leading the way checking for traps, step up on lighting trap bounces back and forth killing 3 of my characters only have 2 scrolls to revive with...

It's okay I will just reload, I saved in here because I knew there were traps up ahead right? Nope-->ragequit. I suppose I could have just walked to the temple exit and revived and it's really only 5 minutes of work (thank god a lot of dungeons are not humongous) but shieeeeet.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Kings Quest 2. There is a few really fucking bullshit design in this game. The rest is OK though. Never played it before.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Kings Quest 2. There is a few really fucking bullshit design in this game. The rest is OK though. Never played it before.
Are you playing the original or the VGA fan remake? If it's the original, make sure (as with all Sierra AGI games) that you're running with Tandy sound. You need to do two things: first, go into your dosbox.conf and change tandy=auto to tandy=on. Second, start the game with -t (so "sierra.com -t"). The difference between the normal PC speaker and Tandy is incredible.

Blonsky

Prophet
Dawn of Magic 2. Terible game, Diablo online clone that is just not fun, i think i got to a third of the game and there are still the same enemies, and the same looking levels as the one in the beginning. Battle is a mess, equipment is boring and repetitive, there are alot of spells but they are mostly to replace ranged weapons in the game. The rest is just boring and i really cant find one good thing to say about it.

Ivan

Arcane
Resident Evil Revelations :3/5:

A damn good game. It definitely feels more like the original series. I like how the majority of the game focuses on one environment. Not a fan of the upgrade (weapon mods) system. Constantly juggling them around can be annoying. Definitely lookiing forward to Revelations 2

The Evil Within :1/5:

It looks nice, animations are great, gameplay is horrible. The fov, the illusion of low supplies, the ridiculous amount of instant deaths. Fuck this game. I just have a bad habit of finishing games I start. Go with Revelations. Good thing I didn't pay for this crap.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Avernum: Escape from the pit.

I'm having a great time with this one. Graphics have improved a lot (but they are still crap :lol:), music is non-existent, sound effects are shit. But who cares? The game is old-school cRPG heavan. It's basically a tribute to the old gold-box games, dark sun and Ultima and surprisingly the result is successful. Apart from some crappy looting mechanics and a somewhat limited party, everything else works great. Surprisingly decent writing, huge world carefully created for exploration, plethora of quests, well-done turn based combat.

21297.jpg

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Deus Ex - The Nameless Mod 1.0.4+
Boy, that was a ride. It's mindblowing to play mod that have that amount of details. And wackiness. How could any mod exist without wacky stuff? The constant name misspelling (Trestkon) is the last of them.

It's probably the only mod where I experienced syndrome of "devs think about everything". You reached hidden place with cheats/glitch?
Done something against scripts or in other way? Done something awesome/stupid? Devs were prepared for it! Additional dialog lines or reactions and else.
One example from vanilia Deus Ex - when you take down gatekeeper when you need to meet member of shadow govmnt/iluminati - you get new line and get achievement being called Properly Paranoid.

There is room with graffiti "summon Jonas". Jonas is tech guy that do augs work in one of the major faction (PDX).
"summon" is console command to spawn items and NPCs. Typed and here is Jonas, with new conversation prepared specifically for it. In his native language (dutch)...

You can set stuff at the New Game like amount of items, enemies HP and else. Add replayability, like it but who the heck do another playthroughs with mods?

Then second to last mission happen. Introduction - platoon of mooks that guard clothes factory (no kidding) and bunch of robots.
Sounds like fun base infiltration ? NOPE. It's damn corridor filled with enemies and robots. Alternative is series of platform jumping. Nope x2. Two ways in - through the firefight or platforming section. Choice between aids and cholera.
Fights in actual (obviously secret) base can be cakewalk when AI with flamethrower set his buddies on fire :laugh: oh, and new lines like"watch out, we have hit'n'runners here!" when you shot and hide in the vent.

Various details like items jump out from dead bodies if you don't have space or laser pistol against machines that came from sci-fi pre-80.
You can find printer near computers, which mean you can send mails on your DataVault without hesitaitng with BlackIce bar.
It's the first time I used "change ammo" key...

My rating 5/5
Easter Eggs collected 4-5 out of 16.

(fake)Edit:And holy shit, my Deus Ex directory is 20GB now, 20x bigger than basic game.
Don't savescum people. DON'T.

Finally, my adventure with Deus Ex mods is over. Until Revision happen but they stopped at ~90%. Might finish bunch of Stalker mods before they release.

The Evil Within :1/5:
It looks nice, animations are great, gameplay is horrible. The fov, the illusion of low supplies, the ridiculous amount of instant deaths. Fuck this game. I just have a bad habit of finishing games I start. Go with Revelations. Good thing I didn't pay for this crap.

I heard that game is like RE4 except sluggish first missions. Is that true?

laclongquan

Arcane
Finish Baldur Gate Reloaded mod for NWN2: awesome mod with great content. Especially since they reuse writing materials from original game so we dotn have to suffer through amateur writings.

Finish Pool of radiance Remastered mod for NWN2: pretty good mod with awesome music. Use writing materials from the novel (I think) so it's not too bad. Instead of openworld design like POR, PORR is a linear story RPG with some freedom here and there. Not bad, though it's shorter than BGR.

Both game got great economy balance and gameplay.

Are trying Icewind Dale mod for NWN2. It's more actionpacked than original IWD so far.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Avernum: Escape from the pit.

I'm having a great time with this one. Graphics have improved a lot (but they are still crap :lol:), music is non-existent, sound effects are shit. But who cares? The game is old-school cRPG heavan. It's basically a tribute to the old gold-box games, dark sun and Ultima and surprisingly the result is successful. Apart from some crappy looting mechanics and a somewhat limited party, everything else works great. Surprisingly decent writing, huge world carefully created for exploration, plethora of quests, well-done turn based combat.

21297.jpg
How does it compare with Exile?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
How does it compare with Exile?
I can't give a you a real answer since I played exile only briefly many years ago. Aside from the obvious, I'd say the biggest difference gameplay-wise is probably the smaller party, IIRC in exile you could also get a couple of additional party members in the game(?). Text, areas, quests, have also probably been revised, but I can't say for sure.

Ivan

Arcane
I heard that game is like RE4 except sluggish first missions. Is that true?

No. Although you can "upgrade" your character to carry more ammo, the game doles out just enough of it so you can win fights. This ends up in you having to scrounge the area of each fight for supplies.

The movement is horrible. I wish it had the more stiff movement of the new Resi games. What ends up happening is that if you get hit you get knocked around and most likely will walk into an insta death trap or worse, get juggled by another enemy.

Its not fun, it's not scary, it doesn't even have campy dialogue. I didn't eve buy the shit, not worth "acquiring" either.

:0/5:

Casual Hero

Augur
Europa Universalis 4 has taken over my life. I never knew how much pleasure I could get from history.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Well i was playing Dragonfall, but then i bought Pillars of Eternity. No contest here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom