Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Butthurt Wesp5's VtM: Bloodlines patch is the biggest poison in the RPG modding community

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I haven't played the game since release and just a week ago decided to give it another go with this seemingly popular patch.

And you know, it's completely fucked up, the game was nowhere this bad plain vanilla. There was only one single game breaking bug in vanilla where you had to use a console command to continue. Otherwise it was completely fine.

Now this dude, Werner Spahl aka Wesp5, he's been "fixing" this game for over 10 years. His patch is already at version 9.7 (wtf). I mean, there is not enough dialogs and scripts to comb over in the span of 10 years. But let's suppose he's working very slow. OK, well, since the patch is 400+ MB in size I suppose tons of shit should've been fixed and the game should be mostly a smooth sailing. Right?

Nope. There's actually more bugs. I constantly come across all kinds of weird issues. Like missing dialog lines, broken cutscenes, shit not spawning where it should be. OK, I'm a learned man, I google this shit. And yeah, you sure come across various threads on various obscure forums where Wesp5 is coming out of the woodwork (or more like a knight in shining armor) and saying things like "oh sorry I must have broken it, add this line to that file to fix it" or "use this console command to push through" and "I'll fix it in version 5.6.1 beta 3, promise". And yeah, some of these threads are from 2010 or earlier. Shit's not been fixed yet.

Now, either this dude is utterly incompetent or he keeps on breaking things just so that he can keep on releasing more patches to support this twisted hobby of his.

All those forums, all those accounts. Where does he find the time to create so many accounts and promote his patch? Or maybe, that's his goal, to bask in the attention. To break something and then tell people how to get around the issue and get all those pats on his back for being such a knowledgeable fan.

If you had 10 years, you could fix everything. At least every single dialog file and every single script in the game. But nah, this patch is an absolute mess of attention whoring.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I knew who was the OP the very moment I saw the title of this thread on the frontpage.

I expect a full scale thermonuclear flamefest between typical modders!

:avatard:

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
brb checking Arcanum with drog's patch for bugs.
Well it was made in only 6 months, not counting the '09 Christmas release, but I'd say it's tons more stable than this POS. Even Qwinn's patches were much better. They were patches. That fixed bugs. And not a constant diarrhea of 7.5.2 beta 4 test release a1 shit patches full of non-fixes made only for attention whoring.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wait, weren't you working with Wesp to integrate your LOD fixes in his patch?

pippin

I was able to play Bloodlines (Steam) recently on its vanilla state without any problem. It was a surprisingly smooth experience, and the last official patch apparently fixed most if not all of the game's most serious problems. On the other hand, I could not complete Arcanum on its vanilla state. That one is certainly way more clunky.
The added content is really dubious for me. Sometimes things just end up in the cutting room's floor an it's ok.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Oh wait, he's already replying in that other thread.
Oh really? Just play the original game as it is available from Steam several times and then come back and give me an apology!

Oh I fucking will you sorry excuse for a coder. There's people right in this thread saying that the Steam version is totally fine and doesn't have any game breaking bugs like your unofficial "patch". See:

I was able to play Bloodlines (Steam) recently on its vanilla state without any problem. It was a surprisingly smooth experience, and the last official patch apparently fixed most if not all of the game's most serious problems. On the other hand, I could not complete Arcanum on its vanilla state. That one is certainly way more clunky.
The added content is really dubious for me. Sometimes things just end up in the cutting room's floor an it's ok.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
He says he concentrated on restoring stuff instead of fixing bugs. Shouldn't priorities be diffrent? First repair game then restore stuff so you don't end up with a pure code of madness?

Drax

Arcane
myv992k.gif

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I was able to play Bloodlines (Steam) recently on its vanilla state without any problem.
Were you playing on Win XP (32 bit version)? Because from what I remember it doesn't work on modern systems.

As for Wesp's patch, I disagree with some of his decisions but I don't remember any bugs when I've played it. Then again I don't remember any bugs when I played the vanilla version (and by vanilla I mean 1.2 version).

Isnt this teh dude who made the nude malk patch?
Yes, but not only that. In his patch every woman is nude, policemen are policewomen (commando style), etc. etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom