Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We need another game like Alpha Protocol

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I love Alpha Protocol THIS MUCH:love::love::love::love::love:
For what? It has shit stealth mechanics, play MGS5 to compare. It has shit writing, too - you talk back to your commanding officer any chance they let you open your mouth, they ask your opinion, half the characters are womynz and I only played half an hour.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Must I always be doubted? I'm not trolling, it's a game that immediately made me feel like I'm playing a "military" game written by women who've never been near a disciplined and structured environment. It's all about feelings and talking back for them. The only other two games that conveyed the same writing incompetence - Dragonspear and Tyranny.

I see that you didn't even address my stealth concerns, which tells me a lot.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Listen to me you subhuman vatnik.
There are legitimate criticisms of ALPHA PROTOCOL(such as lack of diversity and male only main character) but your complaints are COMPLETELY RETARDED.

ALPHA PROTOCOL is the best written rpg in the HISTORY of GAMING because the writing is thematically coherent and offers a large amount of choice, both in the development of your character as well as impact on the plot. There are no FAMPYRS and no LYING SKULLS(reddit moment the character) just honest all American SPY THRILLER ARCHETYPES.

The timed dialogues are IMMERSIVE and keep you in the TEMPO of the story without boring you with tedious lines of poorly written and infinitely nested tooltips with even more fucking text. The gameplay is honestly SUFFICIENT and good enough as a method of delivery for the STORY. This is also true for EVERY RPG GAME in history other than Age of Decadence which has genuinely good gameplay as well. ALPHA PROTOCOL is LITERATURE.

The ENSEMBLE CAST makes you develop feelings for each and every single character it doesn't matter if those feelings are POSITIVE or NEGATIVE because it is the intensity of emotion which matters in art. The FLASHBACK structure of the main section of the story is refreshing and there is no better narrative break between chapters in ANY RPG than the conversations with that fuckface in the interrogation room. The STORY comes together COHERENTLY and SMOOTHLY. It just works.

Plus the SAFE HOUSES are all very COMFY. Not that you as a vatnik rat living in a abandoned nuclear shelter in SIBERIA would know anything about that. This is a game by AMERICANS for NATO CITIZENS. You simply WOULDN'T GET IT because you are a subhuman ENEMY OF FREEDOM.

SEMPER FI

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The timed dialogues are IMMERSIVE
I don't read as fast as an average reader, as a result I sometimes had to press a random option. And I'm not even handicapped, I just read slow. It's a shit mechanic through and through.

It's the "action-RPG" equivalent of dialogues, which has no right to exist.

Imagine a book that forces you read fast. Doesn't let you mull over a passage. Doesn't let you reread something. Doesn't let you ruminate. What the fuck?

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Listen to me you subhuman vatnik.
There are legitimate criticisms of ALPHA PROTOCOL(such as lack of diversity and male only main character) but your complaints are COMPLETELY RETARDED.

ALPHA PROTOCOL is the best written rpg in the HISTORY of GAMING because the writing is thematically coherent and offers a large amount of choice, both in the development of your character as well as impact on the plot. There are no FAMPYRS and no LYING SKULLS(reddit moment the character) just honest all American SPY THRILLER ARCHETYPES.

The timed dialogues are IMMERSIVE and keep you in the TEMPO of the story without boring you with tedious lines of poorly written and infinitely nested tooltips with even more fucking text. The gameplay is honestly SUFFICIENT and good enough as a method of delivery for the STORY. This is also true for EVERY RPG GAME in history other than Age of Decadence which has genuinely good gameplay as well. ALPHA PROTOCOL is LITERATURE.

The ENSEMBLE CAST makes you develop feelings for each and every single character it doesn't matter if those feelings are POSITIVE or NEGATIVE because it is the intensity of emotion which matters in art. The FLASHBACK structure of the main section of the story is refreshing and there is no better narrative break between chapters in ANY RPG than the conversations with that fuckface in the interrogation room. The STORY comes together COHERENTLY and SMOOTHLY. It just works.

Plus the SAFE HOUSES are all very COMFY. Not that you as a vatnik rat living in a abandoned nuclear shelter in SIBERIA would know anything about that. This is a game by AMERICANS for NATO CITIZENS. You simply WOULDN'T GET IT because you are a subhuman ENEMY OF FREEDOM.

SEMPER FI
Here's the tl;dr of this post:

ALPHA PROTOCOL COMPLETELY RETARDED

ALPHA PROTOCOL HISTORY: GAMING FAMPYRS LYING SKULLS SPY THRILLER ARCHETYPES

IMMERSIVE TEMPO, SUFFICIENT STORY, EVERY RPG GAME ALPHA PROTOCOL LITERATURE

EMSEMBLE CAST POSITIVE, NEGATIVE FLASHBACK, ANY RPG STORY COHERENTLY & SMOOTHLY

SAFE HOUSES, COMFY SIBERIA. AMERICANS NATO CITIZENS, GET IT ENEMY OF FREEDOM

SEMPER FI

Modron

Arcane
I don't remember Alpha Protocol needing a port of a Wii version released 2 years later to replace the made for windows version of the game. :smug:

Rieser

Scholar
The timed dialogues are IMMERSIVE
I don't read as fast as an average reader, as a result I sometimes had to press a random option. And I'm not even handicapped, I just read slow. It's a shit mechanic through and through.

It's the "action-RPG" equivalent of dialogues, which has no right to exist.

Imagine a book that forces you read fast. Doesn't let you mull over a passage. Doesn't let you reread something. Doesn't let you ruminate. What the fuck?

The really shit part about that mechanic is that in some cases the NPC doesn't even get to finish the fucking line you're supposed to give a reply to before the timer runs out.

Big brain move.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
The really shit part about that mechanic is that in some cases the NPC doesn't even get to finish the fucking line you're supposed to give a reply to before the timer runs out.
It's not important, because your replies are based on emotions and personality traits, not on the content of your interlocutor. It allows you to play either different types of spy (the action oriented one, the professional, the suave James Bond type) or to play a perfect manipulator, trying to shape a different personality based on who's speaking to you to extract the most benefits out of the conversation.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't remember Alpha Protocol needing a port of a Wii version released 2 years later to replace the made for windows version of the game. :smug:
correct, alpha protocol was left in its unfinished state
https://alphaprotocol.fandom.com/wiki/Alpha_Protocol_Bugs

don't ever load an autosave btw, it basically breaks the game. It's also possible to completely lock your save from completing the game if you die at certain points e.g.,
Missing helicopter

The helicopter disappears if you die against it the first time (no matter how the save game is reloaded.)

Modron

Arcane
I guess you just need to get gud and not rely on autosaves. I thought you weren't a fan of saving and reloading anywhere anyways.

Codex Year of the Donut
I guess you just need to get gud and not rely on autosaves. I thought you weren't a fan of saving and reloading anywhere anyways.
"the game isn't unfinished, it's just broken to the point where playing it makes it so you can't complete it!"

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I liked Alpha Protocol. I'm used to clunky games, so I adapted to the controls pretty quick - plus there's something oddly satisfying about knocking people out in this game. So the biggest complaint people have with this game didn't bother me. If you're fine with the action gameplay and its clunkiness, then it's a pretty fun spy game with CYOA elements and some character customization. Might actually be Obsidian's best game besides New Vegas. I wish they made a game like this that was more 1960s James Bond style than the boring Bourne Identity shit they went with in AP. With that in mind, I still say the best spy game is Sid Meier's Covert Action.

Vatnik Wumao
Must I always be doubted? I'm not trolling, it's a game that immediately made me feel like I'm playing a "military" game written by women who've never been near a disciplined and structured environment. It's all about feelings and talking back for them. The only other two games that conveyed the same writing incompetence - Dragonspear and Tyranny.

I see that you didn't even address my stealth concerns, which tells me a lot.
I remember you saying you liked vampire coteries of New York, a game notorious for bad writing.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

I wonder what would you say about writing in Element: Space.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
And hot ones at that.
And one of them doesn't even speak. And three of the other women find themselves in damsel-in-distress situations and have to be rescued by the player. And you can fuck four of them all in one playthrough. Which unlocks an achievement.

Only way this game could be more anti-feminist is if they added some sex slaves for you to bang as well.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
And hot ones at that.
And one of them doesn't even speak. And three of the other women find themselves in damsel-in-distress situations and have to be rescued by the player. And you can fuck four of them all in one playthrough. Which unlocks an achievement.

Only way this game could be more anti-feminist is if they added some sex slaves for you to bang as well.
Yeah, it's camp. Just like RA3. If AP was made by nips, the women would all be given too much authority and screentime, you'd probably have Mike being scared of making eye contact with Sis, walking into Scarlet changing clothes and screaming in fear, nobody acknowledging how weird SIE is, trying to make them all "deep" and "with their own problems". I love stuff that owns up to being childish and horny, it's a big part of AP's appeal, and sadly with the popularity of weebshit, that has become less and less common.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Literally just dxhr except janky.

Somewhat funny, because mikey boy's vision is way more augmented that AJ could ever be, and can pull up more ridiculous stunt.

AP's reactivity is pretty nice, but HR is the better game because it actually got level design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom