Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Watch 30 minutes of some guys playing Dragon Age and talking

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
NWN didn't force companions on you either. They didn't start that shit until KOTOR.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Skyway said:
This is called blind fanboyism, perhaps you should try looking for once?

I tried. Still didn't find anything but all this bullshit.

Skyway said:
Ah but I don't fap all over your best game ever of the year therefore my opinion doesn't matter baaaw.

Skyway said:
C'mon Trashy - I understand your butthurt because someone bashes a game you are fanboyin' all over on teh internet but let's have a dark and gritty mature discussion!

Skyway said:
D'aaaaw my god - what a fanboy-in-denial you are. You were better than this a year ago.

See, I think it will be an enjoyable party based rpg at best. Some of the stuff shown looks nice, other stuff does not and the DLC even sounds like a total fucking scamm to me. But since I don't spend all my time looking for or even making up stuff to bitch about like you do I'm a fanboy. Nice.

Skyway said:
So how about some not opinionted shit arguments from your side? I'll ask you again - what is there that reminds of BG?

Pretty much everything. From the whole atmosphere to the ability to set party AI behaviour to party banter and even the rtwp combat. So what though, BG was fun but hardly the holy grail of rpg.

Skyway said:
Why is the combat animation system is better than in KotOR/NWN?

Because it looks better, you dull graphics whore.

roll-a-die

Magister
fizzelopeguss said:
roll-a-die said:
fizz is homophobic

Lick my ringpiece you dirty cunt(Roll-a's note; maybe if you didn't have herpes)..."DARK fantasy" is dirty PR shill-speak wankery. We don't accept that vile nonsense here, it's anti-codex.

I think you misunderstood what the caps were there for they were merely meant to provide emphasis on the word. I was simply pointing out that it was not from the genre he thought it was from. But was from another established fiction/fantasy genre and indeed I would not have pretested so vehemently if he had referenced something that it had truly ripped off. Like Eberron or Dark Sun or Gray Hawk or Warhammer or any number of other dark fantasy settings or books.

As I said previously I was not meaning to be positive nor to stir discourse or discussion. I was pointing our that he was making false allegations. Therefore drawing his post into question. As well as insulting him at the same time. I may or may not buy this game when it comes out. Frankly it is a coin toss whether it will be good or not. I will however attempt to continue to read the lore and information on the setting as I try to do with every game where it seems somewhat interesting. At least until it become uninteresting to me.

Also is not a forum meant to be just that an assembly or meeting to further open discussion. A meeting of the minds if you will and instead of maybe stopping for a second and thinking about what I said. You take one comment of my post and choose to disregard everything else and merely send one line insults at me. I thought this forum prided itself on being smarter than everyone else. So far all I've seen is people flaming at each other in an attempt to seemingly yell the loudest and make the other person grow bored and leave. Which in their deluded minds will make them right.

Please note that while Bioware may be using Dark Fantasy as a shill to drive anticipation up. It is an established fiction setting and genre. Not merely an invented marketing ploy to drive sales. Indeed I think fans of Dark Fiction should be at least moderately pleased that they are using the genre. As it will no doubt bring it at least somewhat into the mainstream public's eye. For better or for worse I don't know.

Once again it's a roll of a dice or a flip of a coin that this game is going to be any good. I don't really care abut it. If it's good I won't care. If it's bad I'll probably flame it along side of you. I don't mean to drive discussion well that's not entirely correct. I don't mean to draw entirely positive discussion. I simply am trying to have a decent discussion with moderately intelligent people. Which you sir have proven yourself not to be in my eye.
I made a comment to which your only response was to send an insult. The main part of that insult I have come to realize wasn't wholly incorrect but indeed any post in this thread could be considered a shill.

But one again you will likely read my post about half way through before responding with vitriol. If you proceed to respond with an insult I will simply ignore you. If you respond with an actual point I may deign to respond in kind. Goodbye.

Weresloth

Novice
piydek said:
Is there any info on Dragon age possibly forcing some/any party members on you? I'd absolutely hate it if i had to take some of those fucktards in order to be able to play some crucial part of the game.

There supposedly one character you need to ask to join. However once they join you do not have to bring them along with you. You can just leave them at camp.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Trash said:
Pretty much everything. From the whole atmosphere to the ability to set party AI behaviour to party banter and even the rtwp combat.
BG didn't have RTWP combat - it was turn-based there with auto-turn every 6 seconds which was goddam annoying. And obviously the ability to set behaviour and LARP in party makes it just like BG!

See, I think it will be an enjoyable party based rpg at best.
Why?

Some of the stuff shown looks nice
Which stuff?

other stuff does not
Which stuff?

But since I don't spend all my time looking for or even making up stuff to bitch about like you do I'm a fanboy. Nice.
Which stuff did I make up?

Skyway said:
Because it looks better, you dull graphics whore.
Why it looks better? I said why it looks worse (lack of animations with the all other being primitive and laughable like battle stances just to whack some rats)

Haha and you call my posts opinionated bullshit even though I constantly post why I think so and give examples but alll you do "just cuz I think so!!" as evidenced by 5 quotes above.

ravenshrike

Novice
MetalCraze said:
ravenshrike said:
You mean like the fact that there are 16 spells per spell tree, plus 16 specialization spells, which means with at least 4 trees, possibly 5 although I'm unsure on the last, means a minimum of 80-96 spells? Not counting spell combo effects of course.

Did I just make you look like a fool? Yes, yes I did.

No you didn't - I love how you fanboys never even read about a game you fap to - next time read previews where it clearly says that you can't have more than 16 spells and you can't choose them freely (and there is max number of 64 spells btw not "minimum 90" - BG2 had 200+ btw which weren't filler)

Wow, so it's like a frigging sorcerer in terms of spell limits. BFD. In case you weren't paying attention, I considered specialization abilities to be spells, which means 80 with 4 spell trees, 96 with 5. As for BGII's "over 200 spells that weren't filler", clearly we have very, VERY different definitions of filler. Not to mention that without jumping all over the actual IP, duplicating many of those spell effects would be, what's the phrase, fucking asinine. The ONLY reason the majority of those spells were in BGII was because of the IP, not because of their actual utility.
Charm-Fucking useless without cheating.
Chill touch- Fucking useless even with Cheats
Chromatic Orb - Actually somewhat useful, but only after casting one of the malisons
Color Spray-Fucking useless
Find Familiar-Fucking useless unless going solo Fighter/Mage
Friends-Fucking useless unless you REALLY want that 10% discount before you have Scrooge McDuck levels of cash
Grease-Useful, but makes the game twice as long as you wait for it to wear off
Identify-Unless it's an activated/cursed item, this is the dumbest fucking D&D mechanic out there
Infravision-Utterly fucking useless in the computer game
LMD- Fucking useless
NRD-The spell of endless cheese, so therefore damned useful
Prot from Alignment-A lack of alignment in DA makes these spells fucking useless for their IP. Very useful in the D&D IP though
Prot from Petri-Overwritten by items and Minor spell turning, so fucking useless.

That's not even the full level 1 arcane list. The others, while having slightly less fucking useless spells, still have plenty as well as spells that are so clearly superior to the others of their levels that you would tend to use those other spells only in scrolls as a last ditch effort. Given that DA spells level up without artificial caps and none of the +3 to saves bullshit, the number of spells needed is greatly reduced. D&D IP DEMANDS oodles of spells. The same cannot be said of other IPs.

The hilarity of your complaints is that you are a D&D fanwhore who can't seem to comprehend that not all systems need have the stereotypical wizard.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
roll-a-die said:

lol, it's ALL high fantasy, i took objection to you reusing a bullshit bioware marketing PR word. Tits, cunni and blood does not make a setting DARK, those other settings explore similar themes to dragon age but they don't shove themselves into a non existent genre that they just pulled out of their ass.

You sounded like a bioware bot from the official forums, if you're not...then fair enough.

There's a reason why we laugh at bioware's marketing here. Xtreeme collar grabbing mass effect. Enslave a nation with necromancy...it's all wanky bollocks designed to sell games to numpties.

PS: i actually think the game is shaping up alright.

And grow a thicker skin.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I considered specialization abilities to be spells

Of course! And then there are these spells like lockpick, tumble and other stuff. It makes it HUNDRIDZ.

The ONLY reason the majority of those spells were in BGII was because of the IP, not because of their actual utility.
They could be equally utilized - it wasn't some shitty DnD3. There weren't much of them too if you'll count spells per class.

Wow, so it's like a frigging sorcerer in terms of spell limits
What if I want to be like a Cleric or a Wizard? Or a Druid? All of them had different applications, skillsets, important stats and different set of spells.
Here it is just dumbed down to a single universal oblivion-like class that doesn't even have any spellcasting stats.

Chromatic Orb - Actually somewhat useful, but only after casting one of the malisons
Friends-Fucking useless unless you REALLY want that 10% discount before you have Scrooge McDuck levels of cash
Identify-Unless it's an activated/cursed item, this is the dumbest fucking D&D mechanic out there
LMD- Fucking useless
Prot from Alignment-A lack of alignment in DA makes these spells fucking useless for their IP. Very useful in the D&D IP though
Prot from Petri-Overwritten by items and Minor spell turning, so fucking useless.

I disagree, lots of those spells can be used quite often, they just can't be used on everyone which is great.
But overall this tells more about how shitty Bioware is at making games than anything else. And you have hopes in DA even after all KotORs, NWNs, MEs & JEs where it was even worse?

Given that DA spells level up without artificial caps and none of the +3 to saves bullshit
Bullshit? Wait you actually like dumbing down? One of the great things about DnD is that you can't spam the same fucking spell all the time because of saves. In DA you will spam the same fucking spell all the time and also because you can't have much choice in them.
Really if you don't want to see proper RPG mechanics maybe you shouldn't be here?

D&D IP DEMANDS oodles of spells
And that's great.
DA will just turn into fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball just like every single Bioware game past the point where they ditched DnD.

The hilarity of your complaints is that you are a D&D fanwhore who can't seem to comprehend that not all systems need have the stereotypical wizard.
No I just think you are one of those next-gen morons who baaaw when half of their spells doesn't work because they are too stupid to use them properly.

ravenshrike

Novice
MetalCraze said:
I considered specialization abilities to be spells

Of course! And then there are these spells like lockpick, tumble and other stuff. It makes it HUNDRIDZ.

The ONLY reason the majority of those spells were in BGII was because of the IP, not because of their actual utility.
They could be equally utilized - it wasn't some shitty DnD3. There weren't much of them too if you'll count spells per class.

Wow, so it's like a frigging sorcerer in terms of spell limits
What if I want to be like a Cleric or a Wizard? Or a Druid? All of them had different applications, skillsets, important stats and different set of spells.
Here it is just dumbed down to a single universal oblivion-like class that doesn't even have any spellcasting stats.

LMD- Fucking useless

I disagree, lots of those spells can be used quite often, they just can't be used on everyone which is great.
But overall this tells more about how shitty Bioware is at making games than anything else. And you have hopes in DA even after all KotORs, NWNs, MEs & JEs where it was even worse?

Given that DA spells level up without artificial caps and none of the +3 to saves bullshit
Bullshit? Wait you actually like dumbing down? One of the great things about DnD is that you can't spam the same fucking spell all the time because of saves. In DA you will spam the same fucking spell all the time and also because you can't have much choice in them.
Really if you don't want to see proper RPG mechanics maybe you shouldn't be here?

D&D IP DEMANDS oodles of spells
And that's great.
DA will just turn into fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball just like every single Bioware game past the point where they ditched DnD.

No I just think you are one of those next-gen morons who baaaw when half of their spells doesn't work because they are too stupid to use them properly.

We know the shapeshifting line are all various 'polymorph' spells. The Spirit Healer specializations are most likely going to be various healing spells/buffs. The only specialization that might not get actual spells is the arcane warrior. So I'm at max off by a grand total of four. Wow. As for your continued insistence on the utility of 'all' the spells, I've played BGIIToB as Fighter/Mage/Thief(solo), Wild Mage, and Cleric on core rules. In every damned case, my spell list remained pretty much the same throughout the play, except where I used various gimmick spells to get past a very specific situation. Oddly enough, those were ALWAYS scrolls. All very well and fine, since I was playing D&D, but expecting every system to be a D&D clone, AS YOU CLEARLY DO, is fucking asinine. Removing the gimmick spells, until full-body VR becomes a viable alternative, is a perfectly sensible thing to do. As for the idea of saves, that's fine. I'm talking about the bullshit 2nd ed mechanic where a bonus to saves is BUILT INTO THE SPELL. When you have to offset individual spells, the mechanic is horribly shafted.

roll-a-die

Magister
fizzelopeguss said:
roll-a-die said:

lol, it's ALL high fantasy, i took objection to you reusing a bullshit bioware marketing PR word. Tits, cunni and blood does not make a setting DARK, those other settings explore similar themes to dragon age but they don't shove themselves into a non existent genre that they just pulled out of their ass.

You sounded like a bioware bot from the official forums, if you're not...then fair enough.

There's a reason why we laugh at bioware's marketing here. Xtreeme collar grabbing mass effect. Enslave a nation with necromancy...it's all wanky bollocks designed to sell games to numpties.

PS: i actually think the game is shaping up alright.

And grow a thicker skin.

You made a (false)point so I guess I shall respond to prove you wrong.

Hmm works of Dark Fantasy that predate DnD/Tolkien/Most High Fantasy derivatives that stem from them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Barrows_Bennett A couple of her books predate The Hobbit which in turn predates LotR by a good half a decade. Lovecraft was writing Dark Fantasy 10 years before Tolkien. His Cuthulu Mythos was started around the same time as the Hobbit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Merritt wrote Dark Fantasy before LotR was out. Moreover most of these people were not in the same location as each other.

JRR was in jolly old England. Merritt was was in Florida. Lovecraft in Rhode Island. Gertrude/Francis Stevens was in Minneapolis.

The point is NOT ALL FANTASY WORKS SHARE THE SAME ROOT AS LORD OF THE RING AND IT'S DERIVATIVES. It is a genre that shares some of its roots as High Fantasy, but not all. High Fantasy and Dark Fantasy share their roots as a sub-genre of normal Fantasy.
Don't believe me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fantasy_subgenres#High_fantasy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fantasy_subgenres#Dark_fantasy
There you go. They are two sub-genres of normal Fantasy that came about at relatively the same time. One is more popular than the other. It's probably easy to make the mistake.

Also these aren't Orcs these are zombie orcs! (I puked a little as I wrote that.)

I'm not a Bioware bot merely a person who hates it when people misstate facts to further their own agenda. I study fantasy universes and genres quite religiously and therefore hate it when somebody says something wrong about them.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
BG didn't have RTWP combat - it was turn-based there with auto-turn every 6 seconds

This is probably the dumbest thing Skyway has ever said.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"BG didn't have RTWP combat - it was turn-based there with auto-turn every 6 seconds"

Retard.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
roll-a-die said:

Alternate history
Bangsian fantasy
Comic fantasy
Contemporary fantasy
Urban fantasy
Dark fantasy
Metaphysical fantasy
Fairytale fantasy
Heroic fantasy
High fantasy
Historical fantasy
Celtic Fantasy
Steampunk
Wuxia
Medieval fantasy
Prehistoric fantasy
Juvenile fantasy
Low fantasy
Fantasy of manners
Mythic fiction
Romantic fantasy
Science fantasy
Sword and Planet
Dying Earth fiction
Superhero fantasy
Sword and sorcery
Latex robe foot fetish titty twister fantasy

14y51lg.gif

roll-a-die

Magister
Ish that an image telling me to geet the fook out or som-ting, shmeng./crude representation of Goldmembers accent.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I CAN PUT SKYWAYS OPINOJPS IN A MORE LAYMAN LIKE TERM CAUSE HE IS SO SMART THIS IS WHAT HE RELLY MEANS

FAGGAGE AGE IS FOR FAGS AND IF YOU LIKE BIOFAG GAMES YOU ARE STUPID AND STUPIF PEOPLE SUCK ASS LOLOLLOLOL!!>>>!??!?

BROS IF A NEW GAME IS MADE IT IS A PIECE OPF SHIT THIS FORUM IS ONLY FOR OLD GAMES IF YOU LIKE NEW GAMES HOW ABOUT YOU SUCK A DEAD MANS COCK AND GET OFF THE COOL FORUM CONSOLETARD!>>>?!?!???!<<!

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
MY BRO SKYWAY IS NEVER WRONG DONT YOU READ HIS POSTS DAMMIT THE PEOPLE HERE ARE STUPID

MetalCraze

Arcane
The only specialization that might not get actual spells is the arcane warrior
Why is he arcane warrior then?
But wait... Does that mean that there is not only a mage that can lockpick and pickpocket but some kind of fighter using magic?

In every damned case, my spell list remained pretty much the same throughout the play
That's always either player's problem or game's problem. Pick yours

except where I used various gimmick spells to get past a very specific situation
In a well designed game you will have tons of such specific situations.
But I don't get it - you are not happy that BG/DnD/whatever gives you spells for different (even not common) situations but are happy that you will be very limited in your choice in DA? Logic failure? Shouldn't you be criticizing Bioware for cutting stuff out instead of making it more useful? I don't get it.

All very well and fine, since I was playing D&D, but expecting every system to be a D&D clone, AS YOU CLEARLY DO, is fucking asinine
You probably have a problem with reading comprehension. I don't want every system to be like DnD. But I want every single system to be just as complex. Consolefaggy solution to everything "let's cut shit out instead of fixing it" and making all of whole three classes able to do the same stuff doesn't do it for me.

I'm talking about the bullshit 2nd ed mechanic where a bonus to saves is BUILT INTO THE SPELL
And that's great too - why f.e. some Will protection spell shouldn't make you more ressistable to illusions? That actually is a part of what makes DnD so complex - quite a number of monsters you deal with require more or less unique approach. Sure buffing up saves isn't a great solution in any way (because it may get quite repetitive with a bad design/GM) but it works. However the problem is that DA doesn't even have saves. Instead of making it better they cut it out.

MetalCraze said:
The only specialization that might not get actual spells is the arcane warrior
Why is he arcane warrior then?
But wait... Does that mean that there is not only a mage that can lockpick and pickpocket but some kind of fighter using magic?

Mages have hands = they can pickpocket

Fighters have brains = they can learn spells

It's not like they'll have a heart attack if they want to spend some time learning something else outside their area of expertise, at the expense of being better at their chosen job. Crazy world, the one outside D&D

MetalCraze said:
And of course even in this crazy real world all people can do the same things - let's all praise Oblivion for doing it right then!

Yes, exactly (except in Oblivion you become a master at everything, which isn't realistic even by fantasy standards)

"YOU CAN'T KNOW MATH, YOURE NOT AN ENGINEER"

Why do you need a class-based system then?

It's harder for a mage to learn pickpocketing, since it's not his main thing, I guess.

But he still may learn it, if willing to devote time and experience into it. You can choose between a specialist mage or a regular mage that also knows something else. Or even a shitty mage that knows a bit about a lot of things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom