Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished the DC. I expected better to be honest :rpgcodex:

- Weapon rebalance: it's still not great (shotguns, heavy and energy weapons still suck), but it's better than it was in the vanilla. SMGs are really good now. Melee is amazing. Rifles are still good, but no longer superior to everything else in every aspect.
- Graphics got improved. I think? You spend most of the game zoomed out, so who really cares, the difference is not that great.
- Perks, quirks and all that stuff.

- Difficultly curve. Most of California is a joke compared to the vanilla, regular enemies die in 1-2 shots. LA is harder (good), but it's mostly because you get some enemies with insane initiative that crit 3/4 of the time. Combat is still trivial once you get the highest tier weapons.

- Interface consolisation.
- (almost) no new content. I think there are some new unique weapons? Meh.
- The game runs terribly in some areas or if you leave it running for too long.
- It crashes. A lot.

As it is now, I'd recommend the vanilla over the DC. You won't miss much and it runs better.

Doktor Best

Arcane
On my pc it crashed exactly once, and it runs perfectly smooth on full detail, full hd on a 6950 radeon and i5 2500k.

Gord

Arcane
- The game runs terribly in some areas or if you leave it running for too long.
- It crashes. A lot.

The game had a memory leak inherited from the Unity engine, somehow related to dynamic lights and shadows, I think.
A fix was released recently.
For me both vanilla and DC have been very stable.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Ah, maybe it's that. I played most of it before any patches. If it runs well, there's no reason to play the regular version, but I'm disappointed with the improvements in the DC anyway.

Wizfall

Cipher
Did not see anyone talking about it before but if you create only 1 ranger you can recruit 6 RPC (rangers or not, actually i have Deth/Chisel/Pizepi/Ralphy/Scotchmo/Vulture ) and not 3 like indicated.

Gord

Arcane
Is there a way to see what status effects from aimed shots actually do? Some list at least?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Did not see anyone talking about it before but if you create only 1 ranger you can recruit 6 RPC (rangers or not, actually i have Deth/Chisel/Pizepi/Ralphy/Scotchmo/Vulture ) and not 3 like indicated.
That is well known feature of the game.
The problem with it is that your one character must go leadership and high charisma or you are going to have problems.
Also you have to metagame and know which characters have which skills and know how to pick them up sooner than later.

Gord

Arcane
After a hiatus due to waiting for the patches, I've taken up my playthrough of the DC again and finally reached Damonta.
This offered the first real difficulty spike in the game (on Ranger). Some fights against the robots offer a much higher challenge than everything before.
Computer Science tends to trivialize it again after 2 or 3 rounds, but it's still more difficult than the rest of Arizona.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
After a hiatus due to waiting for the patches, I've taken up my playthrough of the DC again and finally reached Damonta.
This offered the first real difficulty spike in the game (on Ranger). Some fights against the robots offer a much higher challenge than everything before.
Computer Science tends to trivialize it again after 2 or 3 rounds, but it's still more difficult than the rest of Arizona.
Just wait till the first serious fight in LA, there youll see what a real difficulty spike looks like :P

Gord

Arcane
Yeah, I heard that California is the really difficulty part. Still, in comparison to the rest of Arizona, Damonta finally had some challenge at least. Although there were a few fights around Canyon/Temple of Titan were it was possible to screw up if one became too careless.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Had I know that earlier that computer science charmed robots I would have saved a few of the robots on the radio tower that shown up latter, that would have been sweet to have them around

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Yeah, I beat the DC like this. I made one character with leadership/rifles/speech skills and used him as leader/support character. It's very awkward in the beginning, but once you get to full 7 characters it feels much more interesting than 4+3. I went with Angela, Rose (saved Highpool in the regular version), Takayuki (this guy is insane with the new melee weapons), Ralphy, Scotchmo, Chisel from Rail Nomands, then left Angela and took Pizepi. Changed Chiesel for Brother Thomas in LA. Scotchmo was kinda disappointing because shotguns are still bad, but I managed to make everyone else useful.

LA is a giant difficulty spike until you get your hands on the local gear, but it can get hard even then.

Gord

Arcane
Had I know that earlier that computer science charmed robots I would have saved a few of the robots on the radio tower that shown up latter, that would have been sweet to have them around

They shut down automatically at the end of the fight, so you can't take them with you.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I did again and pressed that button, in the Rangers HQ, that I shouldn't touch under any circumstances.
Then got message that "your squad was automatically exported". Checked New Game and found that my lvl5 squad can be used to start new adventure (again). Cool.

Maybe most of you know this obviously but I didn't know that just scratch that from my backlog and move along.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I am not sure if this was already covered: steam says "keyboard" is required. Didn't they add controller support? I can smoothly play D:OS:ED streaming to my TV, but WL does not seem to have ANY controller support. What's up?

Gord

Arcane
Pretty sure the DC has controller support.

Edit: Of course, why would you want to use it when you are playing on pc?

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
It does have controller support and I also tried to stream on my TV but the scheme in WL2:DC kinda sucks. You actually lose some options by playing with the controller and using skills etc outside of combat sucks

Starwars

Arcane
Replaying this atm. Did Highpool first when I played it the first time, didn't think it was particularly good. But ugh, Ag Center is fucking terrible. Not to mention there's something weird going on with the performance inside, not just FPS loss but a weird "choppy" effect.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Finally finished the whole game with DC. Nice experience overall, pretty enjoyable and the last battle is pretty damn hard...but I buffed everyone with all consumables and made it much easier :P
Gotta say though that the lines of the "bad guys" in the end are cringeworthy. MUAHAHAHA WE FOOLED YOU AND NOW WE WILL MURDER EVERYONE!

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
It does have controller support and I also tried to stream on my TV but the scheme in WL2:DC kinda sucks. You actually lose some options by playing with the controller and using skills etc outside of combat sucks
I launched it through steam link, but controller has no effect - is there some kind of option to activate the controller support?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I launched it through steam link, but controller has no effect - is there some kind of option to activate the controller support?
It doesn't have automatic controller detection, you have to set it to controller in the gameplay options menu. Once it's set though it'll remember it so you can launch it through steam link from then.

Bonerbill

Augur
It doesn't have automatic controller detection, you have to set it to controller in the gameplay options menu. Once it's set though it'll remember it so you can launch it through steam link from then.

I really hate when you have to do this in games PC games. The detection needs to be automatic from the start. That's one of the many things that DOS:EE did right over WL2.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You really like your controller eh?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom