Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe indeed you have to make him admit about the bombs first? Don't remember clearly now. Also could be that there are some Ass checks there

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Fixed camera theoretically should be inferior option. The thing is, almost no isometric can get the free camera right. There's always something wrong with it.

Wizfall

Cipher
Does the 3 recruitable rangers Rooks, the "Fargo" girl and the "shotgun" girl have any dialogs or not ?
I would recruit one of them if they got some lines like Deth.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe indeed you have to make him admit about the bombs first? Don't remember clearly now. Also could be that there are some Ass checks there

No checks because I ignored dialogue skills entirely until the Danforth confrontation.

And wow, that's funny how you have to go through the dialogue in a precise order. Amazing how I got it one go. :)

Having Ralphy in your party makes Rail Nomads much faster. I think without him you need Kiss Ass of around 6 or 7 to successfully make peace, even if you save Jessie from the bomb.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I sent Ralphy back to base and didn't hit any speech checks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Villagkouras

Arcane
So, I just finished Arizona, doing almost every quest I stumbled upon.

While the game is far from perfect, it makes me the urge to come back every day and when I can, I dedicate it many hours without even noticing. I guess its whole is greater that the sum of its parts.

I like the fact that after the update, my companions started commenting places and situations, it makes the game more alive.

Of course there is a clear imbalance in favour of Assault Rifles and Sniper Rifles, but gunfights are mostly fun. I wish there were a bigger number of special enemies in each map or some more innovative fights.

I'm going to complete it, nonetheless.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
The game is indeed really enjoyable after the last patch. Finally, after a couple of years it reached a mostly bug-free, enjoyable state.

*Btw get ready for some butt-hurt now that you're going to LA. Battles get much harder there.

So I have just completed Arizona and here are my thoughts (quite spoilerish) before venturing into LA:

-The best area is the Titan Canyon. Choice between unstable crazies and raiders in disguise is quite difficult. Were there no danger of silo 7 I would left the area in a status quo. But giving the temple to the militia and then disabling the nuke seems like the most sane and stable conclusion. I like how you could interrupt npc conversation and reach different outcome by it.
-Ag Center was a cool dungeon crawler with a nice atmosphere.
-Prison was very nice thematically and was good but I think some more work would take it on Titan Canyon level as it felt undeveloped.
-Damonta was the first place where I felt some actual difficulty. Fighting robots feels so different than fighting humans with all their abilities. Which in turn makes a good encounter design. Also the final battle was pretty marvelous with all those computer manipulations.
-Raid Nomads was quite boring although I don't get why people are complying about going back and forth. I didn't have any need for that.
-The number of things that are commented on by rangers in Citadel is staggering. They have something to say not only on the most completed quest but also what their say is completely different by the outcome of those quests.
-Playing for the first time on the ranger difficulty. Having 1 assault weapon, 1 sniper riffle, 1 shotgun, 1 smg, 1 pistol/heavy weapons, 1 knife. Difficulty is quite easy. No problems with ammo which are plentifull, although if someone had multiple characters using the same type of ammo then he/she may have some problems with it. Only in Damonta I had to actually start caring about my meds supplies.
-Perks are so much fun! Many of them can really make characters play differently.
-Character system is strong. The lack of attributes and skills synergy is really a big flaw, but overall there are many posibilites for diverse character building...
-... which are hindered by weapon imbalances. SMG and shotguns feel substantially weaker to the overpowered assault riffles.
-Meet after AG a vendor which sold me high tier weapons cheaply. Didn't like that.
-Radio signals on the map really boost the atmosphere. Sadly most of them are broadcast during an early game and after that there is a silence in the air.
-Aimed shots are very useful on experienced characters. Taking armor away from robots, crippling their to hit chance or making them malfunction really felt impactfull against stronger opponents. Hope in LA there will be more of them.
-Random loot. Totally unfun.
-Music by Morgan is good but nowhere near as good as Fallouts and Torment tracks.
-Writing is good but I think it suffers from keyword system. You ask same questions to most npcs in the area, answers are somehow different, some npc are better informed than others, but it still feels artificial, takes some of the individuality from the people the player meet. Environmental descriptions are very good and in some cases (most of AG) excellent.
-Rosie is cool. Not only is she well done good natured characters who doesn't feel cliche but I was somehow surprised she had an influence on the Darwin Village. Had also Takayuki with me, a cliched but still fun young brave warrior type. Had Angela, but after she left I didn't take anyone else.
-Comparisons barks are quite common and does not suffer from ”this is the moment where companions should bark syndrome”. Everyone comments on things according tho their character and current situation. Really strong point here. It actually feels like a natural progression from BG1, Fallout 2 style companions.
-Crafting weapons is fun. It doesn't suffer from ”either found/bought weapons or crafted one are more powerful” syndrome. Crafting gives small but useful improvements to the gear, which to the degree changes the way it is used but not make them better than stronger weapons.
-There are many skillchecks, varied with a quite high requirements. But I don't like the fact the chances of passing them ale explicitly shown. It takes away the mystery. Also I don't like that most skills uses are shown by right clicking on objects. It works for locks which have 4 skills used to open them and can their usage can be sometimes quite arbitrary but for other things I don't like it, but when check should surely be hidden it usually is.
- Had one crash, some small display bugs. I would say it is bugfree but I have always had both luck with bugs and high tolerance for those.

The overall experience was really good. Maybe it would be lower if my expectations weren't lowered by the codex, but it was fun. Have the fumiest debuff description I have seen :

2ic6ued.jpg

Wizfall

Cipher
The overall experience was really good. Maybe it would be lower if my expectations weren't lowered by the codex, but it was fun.

Same here, still in Arizona because i already re-started multiple times but i had a great time so far.
Thks Codex to have lowered my expectation.
Sure the game has many flaws but only minors one, it's seriously good and appropriately old school.
For a first attempt at kickstarter and revival of the old school cRPG genre it's a total success.

Planescape was not my kind of game (not enough character customization, poor combat) and while i like blobber game quite a lot (Wizardry...) i'm uncertain about BT IV (no clear design direction IMO)
But I can't wait for a Car Wars remake or W3.

Nael

Arcane
-Rosie is cool. Not only is she well done good natured characters who doesn't feel cliche but I was somehow surprised she had an influence on the Darwin Village. Had also Takayuki with me, a cliched but still fun young brave warrior type. Had Angela, but after she left I didn't take anyone else.

Next go through try taking Chisel. Best barks IMO so far and he is also better in a fight compared to any other NPC I've encountered.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Love Wasteland 2 but still sratching head over the fact that even fucking fallout 4 has stat requirments for skills it is simply a annoying that my strength 3 and charisma 2 can use the hardass skill

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://wasteland.inxile-entertainm...ors-cut-hotfix-released-on-pc/?act=view&id=30

Today, we're pleased to release a new Wasteland 2: Director's Cut update for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, now live on Steam. This is a small hotfix release, and primarily corrects a memory leak some users were experiencing.

As usual, this update will follow shortly on other stores, including GOG.com.

Release Notes:

• Updated engine to Unity 5.2.2p2. This is a patch release of the engine and fixes a memory leak issue with dynamic shadows.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Love Wasteland 2 but still sratching head over the fact that even fucking fallout 4 has stat requirments for skills it is simply a annoying that my strength 3 and charisma 2 can use the hardass skill

No one would use that skill ever if it required making a bad character.

You can pass all the speech checks with a charisma of 1 in Fallout 1 and 2. :M

Doktor Best

Arcane
I also really dont mind the system as i think binding skills to attributes would be too restricting.

Im getting my ass handed to me right now in Damonta. Maybe its a bad combination to play supreme jerk with a nonoptimal setup (2x AR, 1x Sniper, 1x blunt, 2x Energy). There with alot of robots + turrets, and i suppose i should stealth from the other way to the turret to hack it, but i couldnt get past some shabby barrages as my success rate with brute force was zero % and they were even immune to explosives. Managed to win the fight by pulling robots with my sniper and falling back until i was out of reach for the turrets. And now im facing a similar setup just with 2 of those spider robots, and my weapons are simply too weak to kill them fast enough.

Also i have some super retarded npc with me who keeps shooting my guys with his heavy machine gun, but i cant execute him or kick him out due to my ocd to finish all the quests.
Maybe i should go to the silo and come back later... With some decent energy weapons the fights would be something else entirely, mine are still from lvl 7 or something.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I also really dont mind the system as i think binding skills to attributes would be too restricting.

Im getting my ass handed to me right now in Damonta. Maybe its a bad combination to play supreme jerk with a nonoptimal setup (2x AR, 1x Sniper, 1x blunt, 2x Energy). There with alot of robots + turrets, and i suppose i should stealth from the other way to the turret to hack it, but i couldnt get past some shabby barrages as my success rate with brute force was zero % and they were even immune to explosives. Managed to win the fight by pulling robots with my sniper and falling back until i was out of reach for the turrets. And now im facing a similar setup just with 2 of those spider robots, and my weapons are simply too weak to kill them fast enough.

Also i have some super retarded npc with me who keeps shooting my guys with his heavy machine gun, but i cant execute him or kick him out due to my ocd to finish all the quests.
Maybe i should go to the silo and come back later... With some decent energy weapons the fights would be something else entirely, mine are still from lvl 7 or something.
Computer Science will help you a lot with robots. If you have someone with a decent skill of that, just have him "charm" as many robots as you can

Taskityo

Educated

Long time lurker of these awesome forums. First post too, yeh.

Anyways, just thought I'd share what I did on my way to the first Robit fun zone.

It involved a long strategy of keeping Vax, the uncontrollable semi-easter egg follower alive the entire time. If you keep that robot alive well into the Damonta area (which does require a lot of patience and proper placement of your Wastelanders) it makes clearing it far easier. Mainly due to the fact that Vax has an energy weapon on his arm that does a LOT of bonus damage to other Robots and his weapon has some sweet range to it. Actually - I didn't realize that he would actually be handy against Robots, my main objective was really just keeping a bunch of non-controllable followers alive for a challenge (hard as fuck). Also you need someone to be on Vax at all times using Computer Science on it during combat (gives Vax bonus AP during combat called "OVERCLOCKED," so he attacks 3 times a turn) and also Repair if he takes damage.

That gives you one bonus character already with energy, while the rest of my party was setup like this by time I got to that area: 2x Rifle (1x Sniper), 3x Energy including Vax, 1x Pistoleer/SCIENCE, 1x Blade/Sub, 1x Brawler/Heavy

Leader/Rifle/Pistol - My Main ("me")
Medic/Sniper/Rifle - "Bear"
Energy/Shotgun - "Cherry Bomb"
Science/Pistols/Repair/Surgeon - Rose
Demo/Blade/SubMachine guns - Takayuki
Energy/Smithing - Pizepi Joren
Brawler/Heavy Weapons - "Big Bert"

+ Vax, + Provost, + Night Terror (bullet sponge), then recruited + Jaime in Damonta

Also this was a clip I recorded way later in the game when you make it to the Los Angeles area, you can see the kind of damage Vax does:

And Spoiler,

If you keep Vax alive to the very end of the game he turns on you and you have to put him down ... :( god damnit that sucked, Rose also turns on you, but there are two ways to keep her alive 1. you switch her out of your party and have her chill out at base, while trying to recruit someone in LA, she'll live - OR 2. I ended up disbanding her from my party at the bottom of the elevator in the end boss area and she doesn't turn on you, then after the end boss battle is done, I went and talked to her again VOILA she joined back up

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom