Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I never said there's DRM in it, I said "might as well." And I don't care if the content is "for entertainment purposes," it's the principle that counts.

Any excuse to pirate... at least be honest about it.:retarded:

hoopy

Savant
Fuck, hoopy, do you ever do anything except for crying over inane shit?
Because it's an independent game, suddenly big publisher bullshit becomes acceptable? How does that work?

Any excuse to pirate... at least be honest about it.:retarded:
I rarely pirate, and have bought four games during the past few weeks. Sounds like you're projecting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Preorder incentives are now big publisher bullshit, I'll be damned.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kickstarter page should be coming any moment now I think..

Nice article too, key info: +- 5 months of development to go, and needed funding 900.000 with Brian forking over 100.000 to make it $1M

Stabwound

Arcane
Fargo definitely seems to be on the right page and has his heart in the right place. My hopes are extremely high, not only for Wasteland 2 but for what this might do for CRPGs from here on out. If the Wasteland 2 funding is a huge success, this could very well open the doors for games that have been missing for 10 years.

MMXI

Arcane
Five months of development? That's quite... short. A little worried about this actually.

Stabwound

Arcane
I was hoping and assuming that he lost his train of thought there and meant that they were going to spend 5 months planning it. Well, I hope so anyway, because I've never heard of a development time that short. I wasn't expecting to get the game for at least a year after the Kickstarter was funded.

curry

Arcane
Pledge $15 (unlimited)
Copy of game free via Steam for PC. You will also get a special skill and weapon only available to those who helped fund the project.
:hmmm:
That also caused me to pause for a moment.
But I chose to be faithful and believe that it'd be a joke skill and a weapon that may perhaps be useful early on but is quickly obsoleted. I don't think they'd really get serious about this and then mess up at this stage.

Day One DLC, motherfuckers. Don't expect me to pledge shit.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pledge $15 (unlimited)
Copy of game free via Steam for PC. You will also get a special skill and weapon only available to those who helped fund the project.
:hmmm:
That also caused me to pause for a moment.
But I chose to be faithful and believe that it'd be a joke skill and a weapon that may perhaps be useful early on but is quickly obsoleted. I don't think they'd really get serious about this and then mess up at this stage.

Day One DLC, motherfuckers. Don't expect me to pledge shit.

Just close your eyes and drink the kool-aid.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Fargo definitely seems to be on the right page and has his heart in the right place. My hopes are extremely high, not only for Wasteland 2 but for what this might do for CRPGs from here on out. If the Wasteland 2 funding is a huge success, this could very well open the doors for games that have been missing for 10 years.

Still waiting for the fabled rebirth of CRPGs? :lol:

Stabwound

Arcane
We could very well get a bunch of good new games with the Kickstarter model. Of course it will never be the same with countless games released all the time, but I'd rather have a few good games once in a while than none at all.

Or I guess we could all be pessimistic as shit and play Mass Effect sequels all year round.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was hoping and assuming that he lost his train of thought there and meant that they were going to spend 5 months planning it. Well, I hope so anyway, because I've never heard of a development time that short. I wasn't expecting to get the game for at least a year after the Kickstarter was funded.

Brian Fargo said:
We worked on it at InXile for nearly a year, and so we worked through the storyline, what the life of the ranger is, dialogue structure, social skills, party influence, character stats. We worked through quite a lot of things so we’re not starting at ground zero. We pretty much know the templates, the next step after that was to bring all the writers in, and bring the artists in, and really fill out the meat of the world. That’s the costly part and where we didn’t get anywhere.

It seems this has been under development for quite some time already. There's already a skeleton of a game.

Johannes

Arcane
RPS: To what extent have you got the design already, you said you had these documents you almost shelved three weeks ago, how complete were they, or are you still making it up as you go along?
Brian Fargo: We worked on it at InXile for nearly a year, and so we worked through the storyline, what the life of the ranger is, dialogue structure, social skills, party influence, character stats. We worked through quite a lot of things so we’re not starting at ground zero. We pretty much know the templates, the next step after that was to bring all the writers in, and bring the artists in, and really fill out the meat of the world. That’s the costly part and where we didn’t get anywhere.
That explains the 5 month plan to an extent, though it still seems awfully short, at least if it's meant to include playtesting as well. I guess the world size won't be too huge then?

How long was Fallout 2 in development though? But there they already had the engine and a good amount of art from the 1st game... The schedule did show though, game was so buggy on release.

Would be nice to know what they've thought of expansions or sequels btw.

Grim Monk

Arcane
I've already started a new thread :salute: on the Wasteland 2 Forum:
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=163
Say NO to Rushed Development:
It's a bit worrying that in the recent RPS interview, Brain said that the development time would be "five months".

That seems
icon_e_confused.gif
awfully short...

You should not feel pressured to show quick results, especially if it means sacrificing time needed to make the game better.

Please don't rush the game.
Its been 24 years since the original, we have no problems waiting for a worthy sequel.

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Is the background image in Fargo's twitter page from some other game? Or is it supposed to be already done concept art for this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom