Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

zeitgeist

Magister
you'd be surprised... the majority of people playing DayZ, for example, don't know what TS or Vent is
But that only means a minority of people playing it will have a huge advantage.

I don't think I've ever seen a multiplayer game where something that gives such an advantage didn't spread like wildfire, becoming a standard.

Spockrock

Augur
it's useful only to those who play in groups. in DayZ there are still many "loners", and they complain about lack of communication between players in-game (although, there is a way to speak to characters standing right next to you, but people still want to be able to communicate at long distances)

you'd have to have every player on the server be on the same TS server in one channel. too complicated.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
http://beefjack.com/news/wastelands-brian-fargo-advises-against-kickstarter-for-first-timers/
On Twitter Fargo has advised that if you’ve never shipped a game before then Kickstarter is not the place for you. It is “not a place to learn.”
FVth6.jpg

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I do not have a twitter account.
Haha! Sorry about that. It's just funny what sort of stuff one stumbles upon when searching for someone/thing on the internets.

And Honestly, would you really want me to spoil WL2?
No! But "design work" could mean a lot of things :)

I haven't played SoZ but you should push for that conversation system in WL2!

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/226124789914427392

‏@BrianFargo

I'm curious which games you thought had the best writing in the last decade. Doesn't need to be an RPG.

So far the responses have been...disappointing. Perhaps the Codex can contribute a monocled opinion here?

I know I'll probably get booed here on the Codex (READING IS TEH HARD etc.), but I liked Fallout (1,2) and Arcanum writing. I know, nothing special, but it was good enough for me. Perfect balance between interesting dialogue, story and length, while at the same tame not too lengthy to spend game playing time reading. Bloodlines had good writing, but somehow it always felt to minimalistic and short (probably because of voiced dialogue, which fortunately W2 won't have). Better that, than some pretentious writing, that turns out to be shitty. And I don't really like to read novels while I play games (PST :oops:). Of course the disgrace of writing we get in games nowadays is shameful, but I can't imagine inXile doing something like that. And STAY AWAY FROM BIOWARE TYPE DIALOGUE (pretentious, yet shitty)!

Kitako

Arcane
From that screenshot, how does this dialogue system differ from others where skillchecks are used?
It allows you to use every skills at disposal in your party, which should be default for party based games, but often is a commodity ignored by so many developer.
Instead of building your brute barbarian to have maxed out diplomacy and bluff, SoZ dialogue system put that little baloon icon when a party member can use a specific skill.

For example if you're talking with NPC X about quest Y, you can chose to let your mage say some mumbo jumbo with his spellcraft skill, or let the rogue bluff him, or the warrior to intimidate him, and so on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom