Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #29: Inventory System Demo

hiver

the UI looks consolidized.

Why is the Ui consolidized InXile?
Planning some happy announcements soon maybe?
Anything to do with that Unity deal with consoles eh? No?

Then why do i see the fucking list with item icons just like it is in Skyrim?

Do you have someone in the team that goes around saying that is cool and good thing to do and smart "business" decision and whatnot?
if you do, - you need to throw the fucker down some stairs and then hit his skull many, many times with planks full of nails.

The guns look too big. Reduce their size. We can see them just fine even in Top Down or "Isometric" even if they are smaller and more realistic in size.
Big weapons are stupid overused idiotic cliche. Get rid of it.

The screen with the character 3D model needs to go away too.
The actual 3D model is not that good looking that it would require us staring at it every fucking time we open the inventory.
(it can be a separate panel or a tab that the player can "take a look at" - if we so choose, but i dont think we will)
Apart from simple visual presentation and going for shallow emotional engagement it really has no purpose at all.

reduce the size of tab icons on the top that lead to different parts of "inventory".
Why the fuck are they so big?

Because ... someone will be watching them on TV?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Inventory as an item list and items as disgusting yellow shapes? What in the fuck is this hipster shit?

Oh I so believe inXile is open to suggestions on this one. Because it's gonna be suggestion shitstorm.

I was thinking, maybe 80' Terminator style and aesthetics should be an inspiration of UI artists. I mean first Wasteland basically revolves around nuclear holocaust in which machines are "on the rise". I think it would be better than those electrical wiring and would fit nicely. Of course, they would have to be careful not to get sued, but I don't think that would be a problem. They should just watch T1 and maybe T2 for inspiration.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Also you don't need to freaking toggle button for character/item.

Fucking this.

I have to agree. Automatically switching to character view on item equip should be enough. On the other hand, the function is already in place, so throwing in a button neither hurts or takes any effort. What would take some effort, but would also look pretty cool, is that instead of completely cutting from the char on item select and just showing the object, you show a close-up of the char holding the object.

The reason being that with the character below the inventory list, you get the shortest distance for swapping items across characters.

It's true, but we also get more inventory space by leaving the right hand side entirely to browsing, which would reduce scrolling. I think it's +/- 0.

(and don't forget the current weight / max weight below the PCs name)

It may be a bit hard to notice, but I put in mockup digital scales on the left of every character tab.

IMO the item/character window should be smaller, so that the description is bigger and you get more info, both from the item selected and the character.

I think so too, though I couldn't shrink it any more in the mockup without leaving big gaps in the textures. There's actually plenty of space to expand the description area however. I've probably shrunk the original interface ratio down by at least 20%.

Instead of the "Alfonso is a mexican ... " text, it should be shown what his current stats are (hp, armor, damage, range, etc).

It would be better if it said that under the equipment slots, so that the info stays even while examining an item.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yeah, Option C with a button to toggle the picture would be great.

ev9ude.gif
Brilliant!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Instead of the "Alfonso is a mexican ... " text, it should be shown what his current stats are (hp, armor, damage, range, etc).
Yeah, there's a character screen already... that text has no place here.

Got to say, I do wonder if the whole "Grid is Limiting" talk is about future console ports... HUGE DECLINE & BETRAYAL if so.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yeah, there's a character screen already... that text has no place here.

Got to say, I do wonder if the whole "Grid is Limiting" talk is about future console ports... HUGE DECLINE & BETRAYAL if so.
Well, Fargo's a businessman first. What reason would he have not to want to do a console port? Isn't that where all the money's at?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: Brother None, come out to play-ay-ay!

Well, Fargo's a businessman first. What reason would he have not to want to do a console port? Isn't that where all the money's at?

I take it you are talking about Brian Fargo, CEO of mega-publisher Interplay (rivaling EA and Activision in size) who totally didn't go all but bankrupt in the late 90s, due to their wholehearted embrace of the console gaming market

Vault Dweller

Developer
:lol: Brother None, come out to play-ay-ay!

I take it you are talking about Brian Fargo, CEO of mega-publisher Interplay (rivaling EA and Activision in size) who totally didn't go all but bankrupt in the late 90s, due to their wholehearted embrace of the console gaming market
I thought they went bankrupt because Herve was a thieving, money-channeling dumbfuck who couldn't manage his way out of a wet paper bag, least of all a mega-publisher like Interplay. For the record though, there is a huge difference between making shitty console games because "hey, everything sells on consoles!" and porting quality games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought they went bankrupt because Herve was a thieving, money-channeling dumbfuck who couldn't manage his way out of a wet paper bag, least of all a mega-publisher like Interplay.

That was afterwards.

For the record though, there is a huge difference between making shitty console games because "hey, everything sells on consoles!" and porting quality games.

Uh, okay. I'm pretty sure you'll see Wasteland 2 on tablets way before you see it on a console, if it leaves the PC at all. I'm not sure if tablet RPGs have console-style inventories. Actually, manipulating a grid is pretty easy on a tablet. Android's main screen is basically a grid inventory.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
The problem is i don't like where the detailed image of objects is placed, now you have a one color items in inventory that look cheap as hell and you just toss them around with your cursor in fact your just tossing a shadow image of the objects, why ? why can't they follow fo1 inventory where you see the pistol how it is colorful and shit and you move it and it feels real like your really moving it not just moving a cheap shadow image of the object.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I thought they went bankrupt because Herve was a thieving, money-channeling dumbfuck who couldn't manage his way out of a wet paper bag, least of all a mega-publisher like Interplay.

That was afterwards.
It's hard to say what exactly happened back then. Seemed like Fargo was under pressure to get more money, went public, kept losing money, made a deal with Titus, kept losing money, Titus took over and flashed the company down the drain. The wiki says that "Fargo's plan to change Interplay's main focus from PC gaming to console gaming failed", but like I said, changing focus to console and porting a successful PC game are two very different things. One's a risky endeavor, the other is 'good business'.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I thought they went bankrupt

By dint of miracle, Interplay actually still isn't bankrupt.

Got to say, I do wonder if the whole "Grid is Limiting" talk is about future console ports...

Nope. Getting it right on PC (all three of 'em) is the absolutely priority. If the backers (& PC market) aren't happy about it you might as well pack up. If it's a success then we can start thinking ports, though I don't know if the current console generation is all that attractive for this kind of game at all.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
This inventory system reminds me DA2 which brings some bad memories... but it's passable. Good work, inXile! Still I think all these sparks FXs should be possible to switch off.

Is there any kind of world map in W2? I think world map, traveling & encounter system would be good subject for next update. Maybe with some screenshots.

KithKanan

Novice
Then why do i see the fucking list with item icons just like it is in Skyrim?

Other PC games have used a list inventory. One comes to particular mind in this case... What was it called? Oh, right, Wasteland. :D

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Got to say, I do wonder if the whole "Grid is Limiting" talk is about future console ports...
Nope. Getting it right on PC (all three of 'em) is the absolutely priority. If the backers (& PC market) aren't happy about it you might as well pack up. If it's a success then we can start thinking ports, though I don't know if the current console generation is all that attractive for this kind of game at all.
Then I'm curious, how come grid inventory is "limiting" ? List instead of grid does smell of consolitis...

Jashiin

Arcane
Interface could use some colour coding. And st.toxic's layout is infinitely better, my eyes want to move sideways, not up and down.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
watching the actual UI makes me sad because deep down in my soul I realized that Fargo skullfucked me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom