Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Was KOTOR even worth a play?

Camel

Scholar
In Kotor 2 you get also way more blasters and the ability to upgrade them more extensively, not to mention feats that improve blaster damage.
More blasters and more slots for upgrades. KotOR 2 crafting is one of the best in the genre - not time-consuming and actually useful for a player while not being game-breaking like i.e. alchemy in Morrowind.
Obsidian also buffed ranged characters.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
In Kotor 2 you get also way more blasters and the ability to upgrade them more extensively, not to mention feats that improve blaster damage.
More blasters and more slots for upgrades. KotOR 2 crafting is one of the best in the genre - not time-consuming and actually useful for a player while not being game-breaking like i.e. alchemy in Morrowind.
Obsidian also buffed ranged characters.
Yeah, the crafting system is pretty decent.
Alchemy was busted in Morrowind, always has been...

__scribbles__

Educated
What ways did you find Bloodlines better than KOTOR?
Writing, atmosphere, art direction, soundtrack - though soundtrack is pretty much just personal taste as KOTOR has a good soundtrack as well. Bloodlines has an extremely cohesive atmosphere, on the level of Fallout IMO, and that carried the first half of the game.
The feeling of navigating a complex political landscape in a hyperstylized edgy goth world is maddeningly intoxicating, and gives the game a unique sense of identity which sets it apart from KOTOR in my eyes.
KOTOR feels less like its own thing than Bloodlines does, being mostly content with recreating the feel of the original trilogy. This isn't a bad thing, of course, but it means that it feels a bit less like a unique entity and more like an extension of the movies.

Bloodlines has a incongurence between the story and the game. It presents the setting as a political struggle between different vampire factions. The Anarchs are trying to get you to join them, Strauss talks to you about supporting the Camarilla over the prince, you can get friendly with the Kuai-Jin, etc. But then the player is forced to work for the Prince and do everything they say right up until the very last mission. When I got the sarcophagus, I tried giving it to Strauss or the Anarchs - no dice. I have to give it the Prince, only to turn around and fight through the building to take it back from the Prince. Except the player doesn't even do that, because after fighting to stop the Prince from getting the sarcophagus, he...gives the Prince the key to the sarcophagus and then walks away...?
Agreed and the railroady nature of Bloodlines is my #1 problem with it, close second being everything after Chinatown. I suppose it's another unfortunate side effect of the game's troubled development.

There were a few interesting missions in Santa Monica. But after that, the missions are pretty mediocre.
I don't think that the side quests vary much in quality throughout the game. The quests in Bloodlines are less notable because of their gameplay and more because they're fun side stories IMO. Carnival of Death, B-Rated Writer, Thinned Blood, the Plaguebearer questline among others.
I agree that Santa Monica is the best area of the game(with the exception of the Ocean House Hotel), but I don't think that the questing as a whole is on par with that of Fallout or Arcanum.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
BioWare actually started hub structure since at least NWN. Also look at the BioWare cliche chart made by Ian Miles Cheong LMAO.
1eP19uy.png

I used to refer to the four locations thing as "Find four items" (not the case in all the games) but I suppose that is an extension of the four locations.

One thing I can say about BioWare games is that every BioWare game I have played, I have finished it. I would never play Dragon Age Origins or Mass Effect 3 again, those were both bitterly disappointing, but I did finish them. I think that is partially due to the repetition of structure/cliches, it's so familiar so it's intuitively 'easier' (not referring to difficulty) to complete.

I think I did attempt to replay KotOR in the previous decade (the 2010s) but I was shocked at how badly it holds up in terms of dialogue/writing - like actually so bad in comparison to KotOR 2. For me Peragus > Taris any day. From memory (and we're talking trying to remember 15-20 years ago) the combat was a bit better in KotOR than KotOR2 but it's like comparing different grades of lard.

I also agree with one of the posts above - crafting in KotOR 2 was really good actually.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Jason Schreier: KOTOR Remake is currently being worked on despite reports

"Is it alive?" and "Will it ever actually come out?" are two very different questions. A third is "If it does ever come out, what will it actually look like?"

That said, I've talked to two people at Saber who both say they're still currently working on it, so I don't believe that the comment that it isn't being worked on "in any way" right now is true."

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/je...ing-worked-on-right-now.786249/post-115245132

Previous rumour: https://www.thegamer.com/star-wars-...“Just full stop.,game is still in development.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak...son_schreier_kotor_remake_is_currently_being/

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
KotOR is mediocre at best. It's really only worth playing if you're a Star Wars fan.

I played through it once and I have zero desire to ever do so again.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
BioWare actually started hub structure since at least NWN. Also look at the BioWare cliche chart made by Ian Miles Cheong LMAO.
1eP19uy.png

I used to refer to the four locations thing as "Find four items" (not the case in all the games) but I suppose that is an extension of the four locations.

One thing I can say about BioWare games is that every BioWare game I have played, I have finished it. I would never play Dragon Age Origins or Mass Effect 3 again, those were both bitterly disappointing, but I did finish them. I think that is partially due to the repetition of structure/cliches, it's so familiar so it's intuitively 'easier' (not referring to difficulty) to complete.

I think I did attempt to replay KotOR in the previous decade (the 2010s) but I was shocked at how badly it holds up in terms of dialogue/writing - like actually so bad in comparison to KotOR 2. For me Peragus > Taris any day. From memory (and we're talking trying to remember 15-20 years ago) the combat was a bit better in KotOR than KotOR2 but it's like comparing different grades of lard.

I also agree with one of the posts above - crafting in KotOR 2 was really good actually.
In the first Kotor enemies usually had more tricks up their sleeves. They used force powers more regularly, while in Kotor 2, enemies barely (if at all) use force powers, apart from the endgame bosses. Enemies in Kotor 2 are usually melee brutes or blaster users.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Don't listen to the pretentious safe space douche above.
Play both Kotor games.
Kotor 1 is classic Star Wars fun. Do not expect anything world shattering or revolutionary. Still a great story.
Kotor 2 is where things get interesting (and also dark). Avellone writing at its best, a deconstruction of Star Wars itself. Great story, lots of dialogue, sinister plots, serviceable combat (again, nothing extraordinary).
Yes, i am pretentious safe space whatever - so i can't dislike a game* i dislike and criticize a game i stopped playing after a couple of hours even back then when it was new and shiny. Also a game that has worse than mediocre gameplay, worldbuilding, writing and no need for tactics or good difficulty to speak of... The only thing that it has going for it are Star Wars. And not even the good part of it. So if the most overused franchise of all time is your thing it might be a good game for you. Otherwise, skip it.

*KOTOR 1, didn't play 2.

the usual chucklefucks will now try to retroactively rewrite history and pretend KotOR wasn't fun back in year 2003
there are limits to tryhardism
It wasn't for me, see above. So who is the tryharder one here, my little doggie?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Don't listen to the pretentious safe space douche above.
Play both Kotor games.
Kotor 1 is classic Star Wars fun. Do not expect anything world shattering or revolutionary. Still a great story.
Kotor 2 is where things get interesting (and also dark). Avellone writing at its best, a deconstruction of Star Wars itself. Great story, lots of dialogue, sinister plots, serviceable combat (again, nothing extraordinary).
Yes, i am pretentious safe space whatever - so i can't dislike a game* i dislike and criticize a game i stopped playing after a couple of hours even back then when it was new and shiny. Also a game that has worse than mediocre gameplay, worldbuilding, writing and no need for tactics or good difficulty to speak of... The only thing that it has going for it are Star Wars. And not even the good part of it. So if the most overused franchise of all time is your thing it might be a good game for you. Otherwise, skip it.

*KOTOR 1, didn't play 2.

the usual chucklefucks will now try to retroactively rewrite history and pretend KotOR wasn't fun back in year 2003
there are limits to tryhardism
It wasn't for me, see above. So who is the tryharder one here, my little doggie?
Beat it grognard you're too joyless to enjoy casual heroics

ColaWerewolf

Educated
It was decent for its time.
1 had better companions than 2, but 2 had a better MC setup than 1.
1 had better story pacing than 2, but 2 had better dialogue choices than 1.
1 was like trying to watch a cohesive movie, whereas 2 tried to be more interactice with you, the player, in a philosophical way.
Neither were particularly good at what they set out to achieve.

But it was worth it. Some of the sidequests in 1 were particularly fun and whimsical. The most memorable part of that game was going through the hutt gladiator tournament and beating the final combatant while staying at level 1. A lot of grenades needed to be used.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It was decent for its time.
1 had better companions than 2, but 2 had a better MC setup than 1.
1 had better story pacing than 2, but 2 had better dialogue choices than 1.
1 was like trying to watch a cohesive movie, whereas 2 tried to be more interactice with you, the player, in a philosophical way.
Neither were particularly good at what they set out to achieve.

But it was worth it. Some of the sidequests in 1 were particularly fun and whimsical. The most memorable part of that game was going through the hutt gladiator tournament and beating the final combatant while staying at level 1. A lot of grenades needed to be used.
I liked the Manaan Arbiter quest. You have to act as an Arbiter and defense for an aged Republic war veteran accused of murder.
The Dantooine murder investigation quest is also pretty cool.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I remember being VASTLY disappointed at how downsized and dumbed down KOTOR was compared to BG2. Even though i did finish the game i just hated that and didn't touch it again for many years.

I only did a second playthrough several years ago, and i still finished it despite again finding the dumbing down painful to bear.

I think ultimately what allowed me to finish it both times is that despite being BG-lite it is still BG-like, if that makes sense. I guess that's the most positive thing i can say about it.

Last edited:

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
You guys can't take this Gaider cheese seriously. KOTOR stunk up the joint when it came out, and it's no better now. Boring, linear levels. Writing that reeks of limburger, terrible combat engine paired with bland combat design. A terminal case of early consolitis. Run, don't walk from this decline. Play Buck Rogers, or Hard Nova or something classy if you need your sci-fi fix.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Play Buck Rogers,
I so honestly would like to see the XXV setting be brought back with current day tech and maybe gameplay that is a bit easier for gamers like me as I find the XXV setting way superior to Star Wars' one. At least the current one. The old EU had its charms before it got bloated.

As for the KOTOR series. Only entry I would like to see brought back is KOTOR2, and this time completely made as it was intended.

Zlaja

Arcane
I remember deciding to get the original Xbox when Kotor 1 came out for it. I wasn't like the cool kids who got it for Halo. And I did enjoy my time with it (I wasn't dead on the inside back then). I even still have that physical copy of the game lying around somewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom