Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Was Dark Souls 2 the greatest game that From Software ever made?

Was Dark Souls 2 better than everything?

• Yes

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • It was better than everything

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No. There has never been a better game than Dark Souls 2

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

Ezekiel

Arcane
Doesn't even need to be limited to the sea, like Ecco. In an alternate take on the love story, the redhead turns into a human when exploring the islands and back into a mermaid when returning to the ocean. Since she will be bottomless after touching land, just make her topless underwater too, like in the original tale. No continent. A continent would have ruined The Wind Waker.
Tbh I wouldn't mind a RPG where you roleplay as Simba and control a whole pride of lions, but I'd like to have the ability to fuck Nala. Also it would be pretty cool if Simba could turn into a human. Throw in some homosexual romances too.
My Little Mermaid game wouldn't be based on Disney's movie. Story would be different from the original fairytale, but she would still turn to foam.

Hell Swarm

Educated
You can hand wave problems away by saying LORE! but it doesn't matter.

So DS3 has too many callbacks, despite being the series finale ("Why did the Seinfeld finale bring back so many characters? It's stupid!"), but also feels disconnected from prior entries and like another world altogether and any references to established series lore that might explain these issues is handwaving. Bringing up Deck13 Soulslikes as a positive is starting to make sense.
I don't understand what you mean when you compare an American sitcom to a Japanese action RPG. They're so different it's impossible to grasp your meaning here. There are plenty of trilogies that don't rely on nostalgia baiting to round out their story.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Your argument is like me saying "I had roast beef for dinner so puppy dogs can fly". It's just non-sense.

It's not, it just went over your head. It's cool, I didn't expect much from someone bringing up Deck13 Soulslikes as a positive.

baturinsky

Arcane
Doesn't even need to be limited to the sea, like Ecco. In an alternate take on the love story, the redhead turns into a human when exploring the islands and back into a mermaid when returning to the ocean. Since she will be bottomless after touching land, just make her topless underwater too, like in the original tale. No continent. A continent would have ruined The Wind Waker.
Tbh I wouldn't mind a RPG where you roleplay as Simba and control a whole pride of lions, but I'd like to have the ability to fuck Nala. Also it would be pretty cool if Simba could turn into a human. Throw in some homosexual romances too.
My Little Mermaid game wouldn't be based on Disney's movie. Story would be different from the original fairytale, but she would still turn to foam.
Isn't that Bloodborne?

Hell Swarm

Educated
Your argument is like me saying "I had roast beef for dinner so puppy dogs can fly". It's just non-sense.

It's not, it just went over your head. It's cool, I didn't expect much from someone bringing up Deck13 Soulslikes as a positive.
A Jewish sitcom's 30-60 minute finale has nothing to do with a 70 hour action RPG's "finale" that doesn't actually finish the story until the second DLC released months after the base game.

Hell Swarm

Educated
It's obvious what he's saying and it has at least some merit, you are just being daft.
He's trying to compare a 180 episode TV series to a video game that uses none of the same formatting or writing style. You don't compare 2 totally different mediums and say it's expected for one to sacrifice it's strong points and cave into nostalgia bait while the other gets an old actor to walk on screen for a minute and say a catch phrase. I expect a sitcom to bring back old characters and wrap up plot lines as best they can to finish things off. They're set in the same place with the same cast. Dark souls 3 is set in a completely different time, place and character's perspective and that's quite the contrast. We're not in Lordran any more and time is so big and complex at that point there's no reason why everything merging would leave you with just the nostalgia points from the first game. And if we're going on "That's what people remember so it sticks" then Earthern peak is not memorable for any one of any importance in 3 but it survives almost everything else going extinct.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The point is simply that callbacks in one form or another make sense for a series' finale, how it's done is what is up for discussion.

REhorror

Educated
Same replies to the people who criticize DaS3 for its "callbacks".

Git gud, nobody cares if callbacks/homages are done well. Muh member berry is not a criticism, it's just seething.

REhorror

Educated
The moment anyone complains about roll, stagger, parry, I tell them to git gud.

I love when my enemies read input, and act erratic, that means they are dangerous.
Input reading makes the enemies less erratic. You can bait bosses into doing exactly what you want and a lot of players do that. From AI isn't very good or dangerous, it's just roll timings are made awkward in later games so you die an extra couple of times and then learn them the same as previous titles.
If that's true, nobody would be seething about the enemies in these games (DaS3, Sekiro and ER)

The moment people have to fear roll-catching, that means the enemies pose a challenge to the player.
Hell, I don't even care if From AI isn't good or dangerous, as long as it poses dangers to the players.

Nowadays too many people care about muh natural or "intelligent" AI when I just want my AI to be fast and dangerous and kills my shit super fast.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Git gud, nobody cares if callbacks/homages are done well. Muh member berry is not a criticism, it's just seething.
This is your brain on /V/ after being told to go back to plebbit one too many times. You will have a great time here :lol:

REhorror

Educated
This is your brain on /V/ after being told to go back to plebbit one too many times. You will have a great time here :lol:
Well, yeah, it's not wrong tho.

Most of the new-age criticism are complete bollocks, I still remember people criticising those ultra long Kojima cutscenes (which you can skip), to be replaced by Valve walking down corridor cutscenes that you can't skip.

Most people don't know what they even want.

Hell Swarm

Educated
The point is simply that callbacks in one form or another make sense for a series' finale, how it's done is what is up for discussion.
Call backs and wrapping up the over arching plot is expected. The entire game being 'Remember Dark souls?" is a huge step back from Dark souls 2 having it's own identity.
Most of the new-age criticism are complete bollocks, I still remember people criticising those ultra long Kojima cutscenes (which you can skip), to be replaced by Valve walking down corridor cutscenes that you can't skip.

Giving people 2 bad choices doesn't mean they don't know what they want. I don't want to be punched in the balls or the face but saying I don't want one doesn't mean I want the other. I would rather have neither and go back to short skippable cut scenes with dialog implemented over the quality game play when relevant. Some games still do this.

REhorror

Educated
Call backs and wrapping up the over arching plot is expected. The entire game being 'Remember Dark souls?" is a huge step back from Dark souls 2 having it's own identity.

Giving people 2 bad choices doesn't mean they don't know what they want. I don't want to be punched in the balls or the face but saying I don't want one doesn't mean I want the other. I would rather have neither and go back to short skippable cut scenes with dialog implemented over the quality game play when relevant. Some games still do this.
How is having a long skippable cutscene a bad choice?
If you don't like it, just skip it.

And short skippable cutscenes with dialog cutscenes in between = long unskippable cutscenes since you have to press different buttons to even skip the thing.

EDIT: Also, muh identity obsession is cringe.

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Educated

How is having a long skippable cutscene a bad choice?
If you don't like it, just skip it.

And short skippable cutscenes with dialog cutscenes in between = long unskippable cutscenes since you have to press different buttons to even skip the thing.

EDIT: Also, muh identity obsession is cringe.
Sorry if you can't see the difference between

and

then you're retarded. Short cut scenes telling the story are nothing like Kojima's wankfests. No one wants to spend 90 minutes watching a GAME they should be playing.

All the DS II hating degenerates here got me to reinstall few days ago, it's been a while. Haven't done a shield character since my very first run, and I never used a greatshield before so decided to go with Tower Shield for now:
13BD623B6E17085B8652BC4F548108ADE5749D63

I'm getting surprising amount of Bell Bro invasions, already gathered quite a few Titanite Chunks. And Fire Longsword is as good as ever at getting those. I assumed the game would be emptier at this point. Got summoned for co-op almost every time I left my sign too.

Last edited:

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Why would you complain about player messages. You don't have read a single one if you don't want to.

Why would you complain about player messages. You don't have read a single one if you don't want to.
They shit up the visuals of the game. Also faggots like to leave them on purpose in places where they make stuff harder to interact with.

Hell Swarm

Educated
All the DS II hating degenerates here got me to reinstall few days ago, it's been a while. Haven't done a shield character since my very first run, and I never used a greatshield before so decided to go with Tower Shield for now:
13BD623B6E17085B8652BC4F548108ADE5749D63

I'm getting surprising amount of Bell Bro invasions, already gathered quite a few Titanite Chunks. And Fire Longsword is as good as ever at getting those. I assumed the game would be emptier at this point. Got summoned for co-op almost every time I left my sign too.
Reddit is doing a Return to Dark souls 2 event right now is likely why.
They shit up the visuals of the game. Also faggots like to leave them on purpose in places where they make stuff harder to interact with.
This is like a weird way of saying your being cyberbullied by DS players.
Putting messages in front of an npc or chest isn't being bullied it's just annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom