Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Was Dark Souls 2 the greatest game that From Software ever made?

Was Dark Souls 2 better than everything?

• Yes

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • It was better than everything

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No. There has never been a better game than Dark Souls 2

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

REhorror

Educated
Demon's Souls, DkS1, DkS2, and Bloodborne are all atmospheric masterpieces. DkS3 as others have said doesn't have it's own identity. "Themepark" is a good way of describing it. Elden Ring has it's moments but it's kind of all over the place. Comes with the territory of being a giant open world game.
I can't agree.

Dark Souls 3 has a dreary depressing and almost monochromic color scheme to it, making it looking relatively unique among the Souls series.

I feel that's its identity.

Then again, I don't care much about muh identity since I'm not a tranny. I just want good game that plays well.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Moreover, while I agree that DS3 uses a bit too much from previous games, isn't that part of the point being made in the story? Basically, the cycle of kindling the first flame and artificially prolonging the age of fire has created a kind of temporal / civilizational septic tank?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Moreover, while I agree that DS3 uses a bit too much from previous games, isn't that part of the point being made in the story? Basically, the cycle of kindling the first flame and artificially prolonging the age of fire has created a kind of temporal / civilizational septic tank?
Found it weird in Lord of the Rings and Knights of the Old Republic too. Civilizations/technology barely changing over thousands of years.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Game play should not be sacrificed in name of story. Dark souls 3's story shouldn't be an excuse for the same repetitive locations we've already visited and a dull colour palette.

Dark Souls 3 has a dreary depressing and almost monochromic color scheme to it, making it looking relatively unique among the Souls series.
Gears of war did it better and even Epic learned not to make a game brown and grey for 70 hours.

Max Damage

Savant
Gears of War looked like shit. I know this thread was retarded from start, but at this point it's hysterical how many people here have awful taste in games and aesthetics.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Dark souls 3's story shouldn't be an excuse for the same repetitive locations we've already visited and a dull colour palette.

Normally, sure. But DS3 is, allegedly, meant to be the grand finale to the series. There's nothing wrong with indulging in a bit of nostalgia and taking a victory lap on your way out. The color palette sucks a dick, though, no argument there.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Gears of War looked like shit. I know this thread was retarded from start, but at this point it's hysterical how many people here have awful taste in games and aesthetics.
So does Dark souls 3. It has 1 memorable location and that's only because it's framed after you have spent a game in brown and grey nothing.
Dark souls 3's story shouldn't be an excuse for the same repetitive locations we've already visited and a dull colour palette.

Normally, sure. But DS3 is, allegedly, meant to be the grand finale to the series. There's nothing wrong with indulging in a bit of nostalgia and taking a victory lap on your way out. The color palette sucks a dick, though, no argument there.
The grand finale of a series should build upon what's come before it to make the very best of each aspect it can. Dark souls 3 arguably is not good as an adventure game and not good as a boss rush game. So we're kind of left with it being nothing but a worse version of the last 2 games discarding the best aspects of those for little gain. It's okay to do call backs and say the world is shrinking but Lodran isn't the entire world and swamps wouldn't the last surviving remnants of everything being pulled together.

Dark souls 3 isn't a bad game. I wouldn't call it good, but it's not really bad either. But as the 5th game in the Souls series it offers very little on it's own merit. If you removed the name and Patches would it stand out among it's peers? Lies of P, The Surge and Lords of the fallen can all stand up to Dark souls 3 and that's not what I would hope for from a series finale. Dark souls 2's reuse of Dark souls 1's boss souls feels more of a story continuation than Dark souls 3's constant nostalgia wanking does. Returning to Anor Londo after I killed everything living there and turned the lights off only to find it well lit and another slut hanging out made the first game feel like a different universe, not revisiting some where I had been before. A slug did not kill the Gods and eat them, I killed the giant boobs and the tranny kid and I don't like the game retconning my experience so they can reuse characters as nostalgia bait.

Silverfish

Arbiter
made the first game feel like a different universe

It may well have been. "There's no telling how much longer your world and mine will remain in contact. But use this to summon one another as spirits, cross the gaps between the worlds, and engage in jolly cooperation."

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Dark Souls 3 has a dreary depressing and almost monochromic color scheme to it
Did you actually play DS1? It nails "dreary" to a tee, much better than 3.
Lies of P, The Surge and Lords of the fallen can all stand up to Dark souls 3
Perfect example of disproportionate hate. These games don't come near FromSofts moldiest turd, whichever one of them you perceive as such.

That's kinda fair but it could/should have been more subdued. Still, fair point.

Perfect example of disproportionate hate. These games don't come near FromSofts moldiest turd, whichever one of them you perceive as such.

Yeah after playing Lies of P I actually started thinking that maybe I was too harsh on DS III and perhaps I should replay and re-evaluate it. :lol: Though I doubt it would ever stop being my least favorite in series.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Yeah after playing Lies of P
Agreed, honeymoon phase was nice but it just became more and more grating as it went on, CLANG is fun but ultimately not enough when everything else is mediocre at best. Misjudged that one, would've enjoyed it a lot more as a boss-rush.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Wont ever see me play Lies of Piss. I'll never play a game where the protagonist is Pinocchio. That's gay as fuck. Make a Little Mermaid Soulslike while you're at it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Wont ever see me play Lies of Piss. I'll never play a game where the protagonist is Pinocchio. That's gay as fuck. Make a Little Mermaid Soulslike while you're at it.
I would totally play a good Little Mermaid game. Always wanted another 3D Ecco, to explore the sea, and a half-woman is better than a dolphin.

Hell Swarm

Educated

It may well have been. "There's no telling how much longer your world and mine will remain in contact. But use this to summon one another as spirits, cross the gaps between the worlds, and engage in jolly cooperation."
You can hand wave problems away by saying LORE! but it doesn't matter. Anor Londo's call back felt poorly implemented and disconnected the game from the original's foundation. It doesn't even look like the same place outside of the reused area. They could have done Anor Londo in ruinings or at it's peak instead of the bland mess we got here using the name for reddit points.
How is it hateful to say other Souls likes games have done more interesting things with the formula From haven't progressed in any meaningful way since Demon's souls? I don't enjoy them any less than I did Dark souls 3 and most of them didn't have the annoyance of roll catching every other combo.

REhorror

Educated
Dark Souls 3 has a dreary depressing and almost monochromic color scheme to it
Did you actually play DS1? It nails "dreary" to a tee, much better than 3.

That's kinda fair but it could/should have been more subdued. Still, fair point.
DaS1 has some very atmospheric part, being the Deep/New Londo part, but aside from that it's just standard fantasy stuff IMO.
Anor Londo is too much fantastique and clean.

I like muh grimdark.

The Surge 1 is a very good game, The Surge 2 adds too much silly parts.

REhorror

Educated

You can hand wave problems away by saying LORE! but it doesn't matter. Anor Londo's call back felt poorly implemented and disconnected the game from the original's foundation. It doesn't even look like the same place outside of the reused area. They could have done Anor Londo in ruinings or at it's peak instead of the bland mess we got here using the name for reddit points.
How is it hateful to say other Souls likes games have done more interesting things with the formula From haven't progressed in any meaningful way since Demon's souls? I don't enjoy them any less than I did Dark souls 3 and most of them didn't have the annoyance of roll catching every other combo.
The moment anyone complains about roll, stagger, parry, I tell them to git gud.

I love when my enemies read input, and act erratic, that means they are dangerous.

MasPingon

Arcane
Funny, I'd say DS3 feels like a Souls themepark where 1 and 2 feel genuine. That's what bounced me off 3 the first time, it's trying way too hard to the point of...well, a themed park. Don't get me wrong, still fun if you adjust your expectations.

This is a thing I noticed pretty much immediately with DS III, it's tryharding to be "Dark Souls turned up to 11". It doesn't have a vibe of its own, unlike previous two games. Only superficial plebs can get impressed with atmosphere in DS III.
Dude, wtf. Dark Souls 3 doesn't have the vibe? I understand someone can like DS2, but let's get down to earth, never go full retard. Dark Souls 2 literally feels like a Dark Souls knockoff from the moment you run the game - starting with an intro, which could be thrown into any other random horror/mistery game, through "tutorial" section, where hags(giving the feeling they were cut out from some other game) are breaking the 4th wall and remind you that you are playing DARK SOULS and you will die a lot, ending with terrible, half assed, linear locations, bad animations, random connections between locations, crowd of retarded NPC's and god awful encounters with hordes of enemies. This world gives you a feeling - this is a video game and even NPC's know it, don't take it seriously. If there is a game in a series that doesn't have DS vibe, it's DS2, we know exactly what is the reason behind it. It was in development hell, two diffrent teams worked on it. Some of those people only heard about Dark Souls 1. It's a game glued together from a lot of ideas that don't fit together and even Miyazaki wasn't involved in it all that much.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
How is it hateful to say other Souls likes games have done more interesting things with the formula
Excessive hate or shit taste, take your pick. Also what interesting things? The only game that took some souls parts and thrived is Nioh, which strays so much that it can't be called a soulslike anymore anyway.

DaS1 has some very atmospheric part, being the Deep/New Londo part, but aside from that it's just standard fantasy stuff IMO.
DS1 drips atmosphere all over, I think your sensors might be overloaded by all those set-pieces :lol:

Dude, wtf.
All true more or less but forgivable as it's still fun and does have its qualities, some of which funnily enough derive from that list. DSIII just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi (feel free to call me a faggot for that one).

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Doesn't even need to be limited to the sea, like Ecco. In an alternate take on the love story, the redhead turns into a human when exploring the islands and back into a mermaid when returning to the ocean. Since she will be bottomless after touching land, just make her topless underwater too, like in the original tale. No continent. A continent would have ruined The Wind Waker.

Hell Swarm

Educated
The moment anyone complains about roll, stagger, parry, I tell them to git gud.

I love when my enemies read input, and act erratic, that means they are dangerous.
Input reading makes the enemies less erratic. You can bait bosses into doing exactly what you want and a lot of players do that. From AI isn't very good or dangerous, it's just roll timings are made awkward in later games so you die an extra couple of times and then learn them the same as previous titles.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Doesn't even need to be limited to the sea, like Ecco. In an alternate take on the love story, the redhead turns into a human when exploring the islands and back into a mermaid when returning to the ocean. Since she will be bottomless after touching land, just make her topless underwater too, like in the original tale. No continent. A continent would have ruined The Wind Waker.
Tbh I wouldn't mind a RPG where you roleplay as Simba and control a whole pride of lions, but I'd like to have the ability to fuck Nala. Also it would be pretty cool if Simba could turn into a human. Throw in some homosexual romances too.

Silverfish

Arbiter
You can hand wave problems away by saying LORE! but it doesn't matter.

So DS3 has too many callbacks, despite being the series finale ("Why did the Seinfeld finale bring back so many characters? It's stupid!"), but also feels disconnected from prior entries and like another world altogether and any references to established series lore that might explain these issues is handwaving. Bringing up Deck13 Soulslikes as a positive is starting to make sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom