Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer

hanssolo

Educated
waywardOne said:
attackfighter said:
The root of the problem is probably the price;

the root of their problem is that the original designers are long since departed. jervis and andy made GW what it was. gavin & co have driven it straight into the ground.

Andy is Creative Director at Blizzard now, so I guess the derp has come full circle.

Destroid

Arcane
Yeah, Battletech.
cat35101.jpg

66wackdechatl1.jpg
3dakghosthunchback1.jpg

3dakurbanmechpost2.jpg
31maddocaidanprydemadca.jpg

Unfortunately, it's a pretty slow and clumsy game to play due to complicated rules with lots of referring to charts and the like, basically the opposite of how modern popular wargames are designed. Personally I don't like it much for the aforementioned reasons. Still, some people love it for that, and it has been rolling around since the 80s.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Why oh why did BattleTech choose to enshrine the designs made by an artistically untalented gameplay designer using a ruler...

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I remember enjoying Heavy Gear back in the day, though I'm not aware of its complexity (or lack of) vs. Battletech and its ilk.

Destroid

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Why oh why did BattleTech choose to enshrine the designs made by an artistically untalented gameplay designer using a ruler...

Because all their cool designs were stolen from Macross. Although some of the more iconic designs like the Atlas, Timberwolf, Nova, Thor, Awesome are original as far as I know.

Vaarna_Aarne

Destroid said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

Because all their cool designs were stolen from Macross. Although some of the more iconic designs like the Atlas, Timberwolf, Nova, Thor, Awesome are original as far as I know.
Hell, they could have just hired the guys who made the Japanese BTech release's artwork.

Even Atlas looks fairly horrible most of the time, but it can look great if the head isn't too big, it's got fucking hands and the frame is tall and hunky instead of chubby.

Hell, the only bearable-looking artwork in the original technical readout is the Black Knight. And look at what they fucking did to the poor thing the next readout:

191px-Black_Knight.jpg

Meanwhile, fucking DevART fanboys do the mechs better justice than the official artwork:

2_New_Battletech_Mechs_by_Mecha_Master.jpg

Seriously, why is it so hard to realize you can buy fantastic art from internet fans very cheap? I mean, look how goddamn fantastic CthulhuTech looks, and it's not even an AAA PnP RPG publication.

Destroid

Arcane
The internet probably didn't exist when the first technical readout was published.

The Battletech CCG has a lot of great artwork for the cards, although the images are quite small. I have to say I don't really like the more curved anime look most of the newer mech designs have compared to the old box mechs.

Aothan

Magister
I've never played the board game, owned figures or even completed a reading of any single codex. Still, I've found the setting to be interesting and to have a fascinating atmosphere. Although I can imagine how the timeline might be less than proportionate (spanning aeons and such) I'm curious what would be perceived as quintessentially flawed about the overall plot.

recently read most of the Horus Heresy, which are really well done in key respects, especially the first three books which trace the beginnings of turmoil between a super-human secluar dominion iin a universe that defies such orderings. Ah but being an Elder player (DoW II) I'm really dismayed about what happened to the Avatar -_-

Vaarna_Aarne

The 40k metaplot is the very epitome of status quo and insulated characters. The last time something happened was in the Eye of Terror campaign, which was retconned, and the last and only time a character had something to do with another character was Armageddon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom