Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer MOC: why does this POS get an addon ?!?

Fez

Erudite
MOC of chaos was a disappointment. I had hoped for something closer to the brilliance of Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat. I don't think the complaints from the fans will all be addressed in the expansion. I suspect it will just be more of the same and "new races!!!".

psycojester said:
Really? i thought it was only Shadows that had a multi-platform launch.

I played both on the PS1 as well as the PC. Worked well. It was actually a good translation for once.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I read that some patch enabled friendly fire from archery units. Before you could simply send in a tough melee unit to hold the enemies and then let them fight in the shade. The game doesn't use Warhammer rules and sucks because of it. Even if they re-balance the incredibly over-powered hero units, etc it won't be anything near SotHR or DO.
BUT if your computer can handle the shiny graffix and the long loading times are only an issue on old systems then, kain, I'd recommend getting it. The gameplay is short enough not to cost you much of your time and you might find it enjoyable if you don't expect much.

Mark of Chaos is worthless. It's easy and doesn't require or even enable any kind of tactical play, and neither does it give you the kind of stupid fun you'd get out of, say, C&C3.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I loved Dark Omen... and Shadow. Really I did.

I already made a thread about it, but is there REALLY no game that is kinda like that!? I heard the combat system of Shogun is smilar, but do units give XP? I really liked the magic items, XP, that sort of thing.

Aothan

Magister
This thread is always generated when I Google for Battle March related information, so I decided to click on and see what the discussion was about.

I can understand people's disappointment with MoC, it is a game which promised a lot but really did not yield what was expected. Even though I dont play Table Top in my short time playing MoC and consequently reading about Warhammer I can see the differences are quite vast. That in itself is bad because interested players were expecting Warhammer, the same can be said about DoW. Which is still a fun game.

As a strategy game however I think MoC does have a lot going for it, but it is very easy when initially playing the game to assume it is mind-numbingly simplistic. Reasons for this are mostly about the "slog" that occurs when melee units engage in battle. Nothing really dramatic happens, they just whack at each other for a long time. Unless spells, siege, skirmish units etc are also being focused on one of the units. Then things happen all too quickly at times :)

Until a player can coordinate a 30000 gold army with moderate consisency, making use of siege, spells, fliers and skirmish units all in conjunction with the core army, not to mention respopnses to duels, the game has not really been examined for what it is.

I myself have only been playing the game for about 3 months now. Which means I came in after 1.72, most of the enduring complaints on the forums quickly transitioned from 'not Warahmmer' to 'lack of balance/improperly working skills'.

It seems to me 1.72 came way too late for the majority, only a few old time players remain. The rest are mostly new. And unfortunately a few skills dont work, major skills in some instance.."Noble Heart" where art thou.

Probably the best way to characterise how MoC is different in strategy from a lot of other games is the emphasis on where, when and thus how battles take place. Once battles occur more often than not units are committed and with no base building and unit production (for the most part) you really want to ensure an advantage. Otherwise a more experienced or strategically minded player is going to win through.

The other difference I find is the long term consequences. When a battle happens experienced players are assessing how this will carry on and how this will impact on the overall battle to take place. It isnt so much consequences as looking at how different phases of the game are likely to occur relative to certain points.

Often enough 45-96 Goblins will simply tie up a more combat efficient group delaying them from more critical areas. Or if you are one of the few High Elf players (there is probably only one) use of Flames of the Phoenix to slow the other 500 Orcs and Goblins descending on your 150 strong army is a really good idea. As long as you can actually hit something while they are in stasis.

Someone mentioned Friendly Fire, yes it is available and contrary to what some Empire players might say (who happen to have half their army consisting of Handgunners..) it changes how the game is played. Some might not even cosnider the friendly shots important but as with mentioned above, battles are long term and far reaching in closing consequences. Leaving units to 'slog' it out will not win against someone using an army with greater yet reliable versatility.

Unfortunately not everyone uses Friendly Fire, but few will decline in a 1v1 if you ask them to turn it on. There is also a multiplayer campaign being organised and beginning this coming Friday where Friendly Fire among many other house rules are being applied.

http://www.zerozen.co.uk/cg/news.php

Im really not concerned too much about single player, never finished it after starting online. The game a lot of potential I would say, but a few major problems remain. The main one is Namco's distinct lack of support, consequently a near dead player base. The only time I can reliably log on and get a few games is in about 4 hours from now when Europeans start logging on. Europeans love Warhammer evidently, and they take things a little too seriously at times :) Im Australian btw. Which means I love this game enough to log on after midnight to play...

Anyway without support new players log onto the main server with no indication that they need to download patch 1.72. Consequently they dont see the majority of open games (not that there are many..but at least something to play), thus they think there are no games and leave to never return. Did I mention the in-game updater no longer works ? It just tells players 'there are no available updates", there are, it just doesnt provide them anyway. Coupled with language barriers it is really difficult to convey to new players that they need the patch to play with most others.

In the last 3 months maybe 100-150 new players have logged on, few of them remain. An average night is 8-12 players, 15 is active. However as I said with the patch you can at least play in these hours.

Until Namco provides a modicum of support the player base, which obviously enough wants to happen wont.

The dedicated few are waiting for Battle March, a little more balance, a few fixes and the addition of new races and units (White Lions and "Noble Heart" will radically change my High Elf armies, strategies and tactics) and support from Namco will complete the game nicely.

If that doesnt happen well we played what we could, will enjoy coming campaign, the BM spike and then move onto other games. I think Sins of the Solar Empire sounds great but it is still to be released in Australia.

Jasede said:

I already made a thread about it, but is there REALLY no game that is kinda like that!? I heard the combat system of Shogun is smilar, but do units give XP? I really liked the magic items, XP, that sort of thing.

The Myth saga is the closer thing i know.

Aothan said:
Probably the best way to characterise how MoC is different in strategy from a lot of other games is the emphasis on where, when and thus how battles take place.

A strategy game that does not put emphasis on where, when, and thus how battles take place is not an strategy game to begin with.

Aothan said:
The other difference I find is the long term consequences. When a battle happens experienced players are assessing how this will carry on and how this will impact on the overall battle to take place.

You mean like in every other strategy game ever made?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Jasede said:

Have you played Fantasy Wars? It have xp, magic items and all that stuff.

Aothan

Magister
A strategy game that does not put emphasis on where, when, and thus how battles take place is not an strategy game to begin with...You mean like in every other strategy game ever made?

The difference I intended to convey was the magnitude of emphasis these elements have compared to other strategy games. Where factors such as base and unit production and that of resource acquistion will mediate the absolute degree to which such instances are (as) decisive.

In MoC the army you design beforehand is the sum total of possibilities. As such players need to consider offensive options in conjunction with defensive measures and overall flexibility. An army that has a linear offensive focus well capable of clashing head on with another might easily be struck by more mobile or airborn units with little to no recourse.

More typically armies will be comprised of a variety of potential courses of actions and these in turn are further accentuated through place and timing i.e. flanking, ranged warfare etc

Sure this happens in other games, but usually you can give up ground and units and adapt 'at home' so as to respond in due time. It is this method of play and type of strategy which is not to be found in MoC. Strategic adaption is more strictly a combination of inherent army potential and doing one's best to determine the timing, location/s and nature of specific encounters.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Aothan, MoC really isn't unique in that aspect. All Total War games and the mentioned older WH games are exactly like that. As are probably a few others.

I'll second that recomendation of Fantasy Wars although it is turn-based and nothing like DO or SotHR from a gameplay perspective.

@Jasede: Units gain xp in Shogun, but there simply is no game that compares to DO or SotHR.

Aothan

Magister
Yes, well I did not assume or state it was unique in those respects. However these characteristics set the game and hence the strategy apart from the conventional makeup of the genre.

Indeed now that I have started playing around, very casually, with SoulStorm Im really lamenting the emphasis on defending the base. Ive come to appreciate the rarefied focus upon combat tactics, instead of having to defend one's base from constant raids and mass drops. Sure it is a valid part of a strategy game but I find it diminishes focus on fighting (or otherwise defending) for key locations, resources or just engaging the enemy where opportunity seems best.

Disconnected

Scholar
Aothan said:
It's not that bad :(
Yes, yes, it's a very pretty game & looks more like Warhammer than anything else has managed, but that's it. I've found shit between my toes that had more to do with WFB than MOC ever will. That alone is enough reason to avoid the game like the plague. But, of course, it doesn't end there. The game has more bugs than features, the features themselves conflict with the gameplay to the extent that any sort of fun that might once have been there, is long dead. And just to top it off, you'll easily experience a 30 second load screen, followed by a 30 second load screen, followed by another fucking 30 second load screen - assuming you run the game on a massively OC'ed Q6600 with shitloads of the fastest DDRIII on the market.

It's a fucking 6 CD disaster.

..OK, I'm better now.

As for games similar to SoTHR, Myth 2 is probably the closest. There's a bunch of mods out for it as well, including GUI & graphics overhauls, the Myth 1 campaign (complete with fluff interludes & stuff), and I think there's still a guy working on a WFB TC for it. There already is a multiplyer 40K TC.

Also, Fantasy Wars is brilliant, but it doesn't have much in common with SoTHR. It's basically a remake of Fantasy General, which in turn was a fantasy version of Panzer General. If you like that sort of thing but can't afford it, Wesnoth is great alternative (with art direction from hell, unfortunately).

Aothan

Magister
The game has more bugs than features, the features themselves conflict with the gameplay to the extent that any sort of fun that might once have been there, is long dead.

That may have been the case, but thankfully much has changed. I really could not play without friendly fire or in the age of Herohammer where leader units were liable to exploitation.

If anything unit balance is perhaps the most enduring issue. And not so much that some units are overpowered but that a few could be made useful, if only to facilitate further diversity.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Disconnected said:
Also, Fantasy Wars is brilliant, but it doesn't have much in common with SoTHR.
On the other side, it have more in common with tabletop Warhammer.

ollyORKO1l

Novice
Great News!

Great News!

The Dark Omen Community now have a New Dark Omen Map Editor.

Mikademus has very kindly released his TextEditor version of the

Dark Omen Map Editor that has the ability to Mod Maps. Amazingly he
isn't stopping there and intends to build a more graphical Interface for
us to use, so any help would be greatly appreciated, as he deserves a
well earned rest!

:)

http://darkomen.benjamintrenkle.de/en/downloads/mods.html

Project and source for PRJ file text mode editor.

These are very exciting times as we would also like to Thank Rob for
his help in creating the new Dark Omen Map textEditor (as they have both been working flat out for many weeks modding).

but also to thank him for his new

Beta DarkOmenViewer-New Sprite Editor
based on Mikademus's original DOC111-Mdose sprite editor.

http://darkomen.benjamintrenkle.de/en/downloads/mods.html

This has extended Dark Omen futher than ever before, during the last
10 years and on behalf of all Global Dark Omen fans we Thank Them!

A perfect gift for Dark Omen's 10th anniversary!

All new Developments are Open Source and are Documented on the
new Wiki page, so feel free to Join in and help us all, anytime.

http://darkomen.benjamintrenkle.de/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Modifications

So except to see some great new Test screen shots of new Maps and New units.

(Also watch out for Rob's new Blender to M3D (dark omen 3d object files) Convertor,
to allow us to create new Dark Omen Buildings and 3D objects)

"We live in the Light that they leave behind"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom