Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin - AoS RTS

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
These devs are trying to get they mythical DoW 2 Console playerbase so much that they pretty much doomed their games

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
A fantasy DOW1/DOW2 intrigues me
But it's hardly that. It's nowhere near DoW1 for one. It's more DoW2, a lot more, but it also has Spellforce 3 in it for some reason and the graphics/art style are WC3 Reforged-tier.
If it is close to DoW2 or SF3, I may still give this a try. Personally, I can typically squeeze enjoyment from RTS games. I only recently drew a line at a replay of DoW3, which is mind-boggling how that was released.

I am more worried about whether the developers will drop support of the game (e.g., Gothic Armada 1&2) and/or adopt the CA approach of endless DLC in order to access interesting factions/characters.

Lacrymas

Arcane

I am more worried about whether the developers will drop support of the game (e.g., Gothic Armada 1&2) and/or adopt the CA approach of endless DLC in order to access interesting factions/characters.
Considering this is most likely a flop (850 players playing right now and the game came out 3 days ago), they'll probably abandon it.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Considering this is most likely a flop (850 players playing right now and the game came out 3 days ago), they'll probably abandon it.
Unfortunate news to say the least. That is not to say the game deserved robust sales, but so many RTS games are abandoned. I am still butthurt that Gothic Armada 2 was left to wither.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I hate retreat panic buttons. Does the mechanic work as in DoWII/CoH or can you kill the retreating normally?

Last edited:

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You weren't able to cancel your retreat in the Beta as far as I remember.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also, there's a giveaway thingy on twitter... or X, or whatever bullshit it's called now. If anyone's interested go check it out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Buttfucked: https://www.ign.com/articles/warham...-of-ruin-flops-frontier-shares-tank-nearly-20

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin Flops, Frontier Shares Tank Nearly 20%​

Frontier Developments has issued a trading update following poor launch sales of its real-time strategy game Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin.

Realms of Ruin launched on November 17 and promised eye-catching RTS gameplay set within Games Workshop's Warhammer Age of Sigmar universe.

According to SteamDB, Realms of Ruin Steam concurrent players peaked at 1,572. At the time of this article’s publication, just 129 were playing on Valve’s platform, and Steam's Realms of Ruin user review rating is 'mixed'.

Shares plunged nearly 20% on the news, in which Frontier admitted week one sales of Realms of Ruin were “lower than expected”. However, Frontier insisted it will “evolve and support” the game with post-release content, including premium DLC, and so it “expects sales to build over time”.

The Cambridge, UK developer has endured a tough year, with a number of recent games failing to set tills alight. Last month, Frontier announced an organisational review of the business that included a wave of redundancies, subject to consultation.

Frontier is the veteran studio behind 2014’s space sim Elite: Dangerous, Zoo Tycoon, Planet Coaster, and the Jurassic World Evolution games. In recent years, it’s released two F1 Manager games, as well as Realms of Ruin. Frontier also published games from external developers under its Frontier Foundry label, including Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters, Deliver Us Mars, and FAR: Changing Tides.

In January, Frontier said it planned to lower its original sales expectations for the fiscal years of 2023 and 2024 after its games underperformed during the 2022 holiday season. F1 Manager 2022, which launched in August 2022, was singled out, with "lower than expected" sales of 600,000 across console and PC. At the time, Frontier said there was "increased player price sensitivity" amid larger concerns of a global economic recession.

Then, in June, Frontier announced the closure of its Frontier Foundry subsidiary and a plan to concentrate on its own universe of curated games, admitting to "disappointing" financial performance across its third-party portfolio. F1 Manager 2023 launched in July but is thought to have similarly underperformed.

In this latest trading update, Frontier said it is refocusing on creative management simulation games (CMS). “Frontier's move to diversify its game portfolio during the last five years, including through third-party publishing and new games in 'adjacent genres', has not delivered the anticipated success,” Frontier said. “As a result, the Company has refocussed on CMS games which have delivered stronger and more predictable returns through Frontier's expertise and leadership in that genre.”

Frontier said its four CMS games (Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo, Jurassic World Evolution, and Jurassic World Evolution 2) “continue to perform well” and have each achieved over $100 million of gross revenue with a combined total of over $500 million. All four games achieved profitability within one month of release and delivered over 100% return on investment within 12 months of release, the company added. The three games which have been in the market for four years or longer (Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo) have all achieved a cumulative return on investment of over 250%.

With this in mind, Frontier has confirmed three future CMS games, with one releasing in each of the next three financial years. Alongside this it will continue to develop and support its existing portfolio of games, including Elite Dangerous, F1 Manager, and Realms of Ruin.

Frontier adjusted its outlook off the back of Realms of Ruin’s poor performance, saying its previous expectation of around £108 million in revenue for the current financial year will not be achieved. Instead, it expects to bring in £80 to £95 million, but this depends on a number of factors. Frontier expects to make a loss of around £9 million for the financial year, but that’s if it makes the upper-end of its expected revenue. The “organisational review”, as Frontier puts it, continues.

Looking further ahead, Frontier said it expects to break even in the next financial year, off the back of money coming in from existing games, revenue from the CMS game due out, and a 20% operating cost reduction from layoffs. Frontier insisted it remains well capitalised, with a cash balance of £20.5 million. That cash figure excludes the fee from Microsoft for F1 Manager 2023 entering the Game Pass subscription service during October.

Chairman David Wilton is out, with Ilse Howling stepping up. Frontier boss David Braben said it had been a “turbulent and difficult year” for Frontier.

Jonny Watts, Chief Executive Officer, said: "I am pleased to confirm a third creative management simulation game on our development roadmap. I am confident that our renewed focus on CMS will return Frontier back to profitability, deliver stimulating games to our players, and provide rewarding opportunities for our people. I'd like to thank our people and our shareholders for their patience and support as we go through a challenging period of change."

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played the demo and thought it was alright, not a chance I'm paying £50 for a computer game though.
I'm willing to pay that much for some games, but not a quite limited RTS.

I'd pay more for a more complete RTS with much worse production values, they might have made a mistake going that much for optics vs depth.

I kinda feel bad for them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Same, it's not a terrible game (certainly did the DoW3 path of pseudo-moba a lot better than DoW3 itself did).
And it might again feed that narrative that RTS don't do well, when the real problem is that most of the failures are just not close to what the few successful ones provide or try to focus on the elusive MP crowd.

This one had a proper campaign at least, so I'll still give it a go on a sale.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Buttfucked: https://www.ign.com/articles/warham...-of-ruin-flops-frontier-shares-tank-nearly-20

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin Flops, Frontier Shares Tank Nearly 20%​

Frontier Developments has issued a trading update following poor launch sales of its real-time strategy game Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin.

Realms of Ruin launched on November 17 and promised eye-catching RTS gameplay set within Games Workshop's Warhammer Age of Sigmar universe.

According to SteamDB, Realms of Ruin Steam concurrent players peaked at 1,572. At the time of this article’s publication, just 129 were playing on Valve’s platform, and Steam's Realms of Ruin user review rating is 'mixed'.

Shares plunged nearly 20% on the news, in which Frontier admitted week one sales of Realms of Ruin were “lower than expected”. However, Frontier insisted it will “evolve and support” the game with post-release content, including premium DLC, and so it “expects sales to build over time”.

The Cambridge, UK developer has endured a tough year, with a number of recent games failing to set tills alight. Last month, Frontier announced an organisational review of the business that included a wave of redundancies, subject to consultation.

Frontier is the veteran studio behind 2014’s space sim Elite: Dangerous, Zoo Tycoon, Planet Coaster, and the Jurassic World Evolution games. In recent years, it’s released two F1 Manager games, as well as Realms of Ruin. Frontier also published games from external developers under its Frontier Foundry label, including Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters, Deliver Us Mars, and FAR: Changing Tides.

In January, Frontier said it planned to lower its original sales expectations for the fiscal years of 2023 and 2024 after its games underperformed during the 2022 holiday season. F1 Manager 2022, which launched in August 2022, was singled out, with "lower than expected" sales of 600,000 across console and PC. At the time, Frontier said there was "increased player price sensitivity" amid larger concerns of a global economic recession.

Then, in June, Frontier announced the closure of its Frontier Foundry subsidiary and a plan to concentrate on its own universe of curated games, admitting to "disappointing" financial performance across its third-party portfolio. F1 Manager 2023 launched in July but is thought to have similarly underperformed.

In this latest trading update, Frontier said it is refocusing on creative management simulation games (CMS). “Frontier's move to diversify its game portfolio during the last five years, including through third-party publishing and new games in 'adjacent genres', has not delivered the anticipated success,” Frontier said. “As a result, the Company has refocussed on CMS games which have delivered stronger and more predictable returns through Frontier's expertise and leadership in that genre.”

Frontier said its four CMS games (Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo, Jurassic World Evolution, and Jurassic World Evolution 2) “continue to perform well” and have each achieved over $100 million of gross revenue with a combined total of over $500 million. All four games achieved profitability within one month of release and delivered over 100% return on investment within 12 months of release, the company added. The three games which have been in the market for four years or longer (Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo) have all achieved a cumulative return on investment of over 250%.

With this in mind, Frontier has confirmed three future CMS games, with one releasing in each of the next three financial years. Alongside this it will continue to develop and support its existing portfolio of games, including Elite Dangerous, F1 Manager, and Realms of Ruin.

Frontier adjusted its outlook off the back of Realms of Ruin’s poor performance, saying its previous expectation of around £108 million in revenue for the current financial year will not be achieved. Instead, it expects to bring in £80 to £95 million, but this depends on a number of factors. Frontier expects to make a loss of around £9 million for the financial year, but that’s if it makes the upper-end of its expected revenue. The “organisational review”, as Frontier puts it, continues.

Looking further ahead, Frontier said it expects to break even in the next financial year, off the back of money coming in from existing games, revenue from the CMS game due out, and a 20% operating cost reduction from layoffs. Frontier insisted it remains well capitalised, with a cash balance of £20.5 million. That cash figure excludes the fee from Microsoft for F1 Manager 2023 entering the Game Pass subscription service during October.

Chairman David Wilton is out, with Ilse Howling stepping up. Frontier boss David Braben said it had been a “turbulent and difficult year” for Frontier.

Jonny Watts, Chief Executive Officer, said: "I am pleased to confirm a third creative management simulation game on our development roadmap. I am confident that our renewed focus on CMS will return Frontier back to profitability, deliver stimulating games to our players, and provide rewarding opportunities for our people. I'd like to thank our people and our shareholders for their patience and support as we go through a challenging period of change."
Infinitrons Touch of Death

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't know what they were expecting tbh. Who likes Age of Sigmar first of all? Second of all, the RTS mechanics are strange, which wouldn't be much of a problem if they knew what they wanted to do with them, but they kinda went into a DoW2 direction for some reason. I wouldn't say the game is bad, just a nothingburger.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Planet Coaster developer Frontier refocusing on sims after low sales of Warhammer RTS

Which they are terrible at minus the nostalgia fans buying the games because they played zoo/railroad tycoon a long time ago.
How do you manage to fuck up Jurassic Park tycoon is beyond me?

Sarathiour

Cipher
Yeah, let's take the most hated GW license, pick one the deadest genre in 2k20+ (rts) and base the gameplay around the biggest flop of a well-known license (DoW3).
I'm sure this will turns out well.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Yeah, let's take the most hated GW license, pick one the deadest genre in 2k20+ (rts) and base the gameplay around the biggest flop of a well-known license (DoW3).
I'm sure this will turns out well.

I had the same thoughts when this thing was announced.

Why will nobody make an AAA version of Chapter Master with the 40k license? Do they hate money?

I swear to god, there will be a fucking space marine dating simulator before they finally do something cool with a GW IP.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's not the setting that's the problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom