Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin - AoS RTS

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
AoS has some neat looking models, but goddamn is the overall aesthetic ruined by Warcraft and generic mobile game fantasy aesthetic.
And I don't know why they can't make an RTS now that has basebuilding. Sure, you have to click more buttons, but the vast majority of the players aren't going to play ranked 1vs1 like a korean chimpanzee. When RTS wasn't a dead genre they used to make fun single player campaigns and didn't fool themselves that everyone was into competitive multiplayer.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Played the beta and wasn't pleased with it at all. UI and gameflow were ass. Felt a bit like a mobile game as well. Hopefully it's more decent on release. Could be a good candidate for one of those games which you just open for 1 or 2 quick matches every now and then.

Aemar

Arcane
Realms of Ruin. Couldn't have chosen a better title for this setting/game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I tried the demo and wellllll, it's Dawn of War 2 + Spellforce 3 through the lens of WC3 Reforged. It might be worth it at -75% off if you are itching for such an experience. The setting, though. It doesn't remind one of Warhammer at all.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, kinda, sorta. I didn't like the fact you can't control units that are engaged in melee and you can only retreat them to your base, which can take forever. There is no base building. Almost all units have active abilities, which is good, Spellforce 3 suffered from overly passive units. The graphics are nice, I guess. There are bonus objectives in each mission, a thing I've always liked in RTSes. I played on the hardest difficulty and couldn't get them all. The last mission in the demo requires you to control all 3 capture points for a minute, but good luck with that. I'm sure it's possible but it requires a good army composition and good micro.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Turns out this ships out with 4 factions instead of the expected 3 - Stormcast Eternals, Orks, Nighthaunt (undead) and Disciples of Tzeentch.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Seems like Tzeentch is borrowing a few pages from the book of Slaanesh, huh
vvBOUfc.jpg
Even Slaanesh is going to blush at that much oil.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Reviews don't seem overly enthusiastic and I didn't have the best impression of the demo, soooooo whoop-di-doo. Maybe at a -75% off.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The gameplay doesn't seem too terrible, tbh. Might be interested in giving this a go, though absolutely no way that's going to happen at full price.

But damn, is the Age Of Sigmar artstyle making this a tough sell. Everything just looks absurdly over-the-top.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hopefully, it gets better with time. I like the visuals but am not a fan of the gameplay loop I experienced during EA.

If I get this, even at a sale, it has the very likely chance of just sitting in my library and never getting played. With that in mind there is no way I can justify €60. Especially, when Rogue Trader is just around the corner.

Age of Sigmar is very poggers tho. Wouldn't mind seeing more AoS games around. But, you know, just better than this.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The gameplay doesn't seem too terrible, tbh. Might be interested in giving this a go, though absolutely no way that's going to happen at full price.
The gameplay is not *terrible*, but it's clunky and there are some stuff that maaaybe don't gel well with an RTS. The rock/paper/scissors thing is too obvious imo and you are forced to play that game if you want to do anything significant. Which wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't overly simplistic too. On top of that, the game makes you commit your melee to the fight, you can't control them once they engage an enemy and the only way to get them out is to retreat them to your base. Maybe this needs some getting used to, but I suspect the game will die in 2 months tops, so it's pointless to practice.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
A fantasy DOW1/DOW2 intrigues me, but I will wait for a sale.

Also, the style of the stormcast is jarring. I am not sure how to best describe it - too clean? Based on everything that I have read, I expected the stormcast to be akin to 40k custodes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
A fantasy DOW1/DOW2 intrigues me
But it's hardly that. It's nowhere near DoW1 for one. It's more DoW2, a lot more, but it also has Spellforce 3 in it for some reason and the graphics/art style are WC3 Reforged-tier.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Wellllll, maybe I overestimated the 2 months thing, the peak player count has been 1572 in its release weekend and 1274 in the last 24 hours, soooooo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom