Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

Parabalus

Arcane
so got to chapter 4, dunno if i should bother reading how bugged it is T_T
So far I had two bugs where the game broke immediately upon choosing a particular quest outcome.

Solution : pick something else.

std::namespace

Stopped using this cunt after she summoned a 150hp daemon on chapter one. It was harder to kill than the whole fucking encounter put together. Absolutelly worthless.
Oh, and she passed out on the floor at the exact same moment just for a laf.
you are weak like a woman and a slave
ulYGYZM.png

janior

Arcane
Patron

ArchAngel

Arcane

:prosper:

hey hey rogue traders
pvmrot4cl47c1.png

I hate her portrait hope you can change it easily if I do another playthrough at some point (she will most likely get purged early though)

why change it when you can just send her ass to the inquisition first chance you get? (I hope?)
It's better to wait a little longer and get free Dogmatic points (you won't have to wait long)
I had that event yesterday. Goodbye Indira, you were just standing there in the Voidship anyways :D
Jae on the other hand would be missed. She manages to heal my team every turn even when on the Voidship chilling

ChildInTime

Learned
Me: plays game normally
Me: runs into eldar/deldar even once
Me: activates cheat mode, gives squad yellow power armor, 99 str, bolt and power weapons

There's probably no yellow power armor in the game, but you get the point

View attachment 44780
Here's one of the two power armors the preacher faction sells, the other one is for Pasqal only and looks like his regular techpriest robes I think.

BwcJ2b1.jpg

Shaki

Arbiter
hey hey rogue traders
pvmrot4cl47c1.png

I hate her portrait hope you can change it easily if I do another playthrough at some point (she will most likely get purged early though)
How about this?

rfvwCzA.png
Don't make the witch hot you retard, that's heretical work. There is a reason Owlcat made her dumb, ugly and annoying, it's so you have an easier time making the right dogmatic choice.

Dayyālu

Arcane
How about this?

Repeat after me: you will not let the Witch to live just because she's now cute and appealing and doesn't sound like a crackwhore. The Emperor for sure would not approve weakness regarding waifs with psychic powers.

Also, the Forgefiend fight. I'm he only one that finds kind of weird how the fights before require some good planning (the combo of HP-giving speakers, dumb but hard-hitting servitors and assorted mad Mechanicus are fun to fight) but the Forgefiend itself is kind of... trivial? You spam abilities and it dies in 2-3 turns, for sure it counters but you are never in danger of really losing control. It's weird how the chaff fights are harder, or maybe it's just me.

Shaki

Arbiter
How about this?

Repeat after me: you will not let the Witch to live just because she's now cute and appealing and doesn't sound like a crackwhore. The Emperor for sure would not approve weakness regarding waifs with psychic powers.

Also, the Forgefiend fight. I'm he only one that finds kind of weird how the fights before require some good planning (the combo of HP-giving speakers, dumb but hard-hitting servitors and assorted mad Mechanicus are fun to fight) but the Forgefiend itself is kind of... trivial? You spam abilities and it dies in 2-3 turns, for sure it counters but you are never in danger of really losing control. It's weird how the chaff fights are harder, or maybe it's just me.
Probably depends on what setup you run, for me forgefiend was a decent challenge, it oneshot 3 of my melees on first turn with some ground slam attack and there were no shitty goons to stack bonuses from killing them on my Argenta. I still won but it was close. In previous fights I has easier time, they were longer because of the retarded heralds temporary wound spam, but I was never in danger or lost anyone.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I really don't like the focus on Rogue traders it's not what I play 40k for.

the war part of the setting is pretty much unsuitable for an RPG tho, battle and scale is too big.

what part of 40k again would be suitable for a party-based narrative-focused RPG? I know something like Space Hulk can work but it's mostly dungeon crawling

None, I agree with you. I find the idea of a RPG in 40k just odd.

Fantasy battles would be a different matter.

40K is a tactical and and strategic setting for me. I mean it's good, they did that now, it's fun, it's not really mine a lot of people seem to enjoy the books about imperial characters in the setting, I don't do that either.

But I thought it was fair to the one who asked that I told him my position of the whole thing so he can decide if he can value my feedback on the story.

IMO 40K lends itself to classic RPG gameplay just fine - after all there are PnP 40K RPGs where you play as members of the Inquisition (both edditions of Dark Heresy, though I have seen people playing as Adeptus Arbites too for example, there are many options), Rogue Trader & retinue (the Rogue Trader PnP game that the cRPG is based on, again there are many more options though, there was even a sourcebook focussed on playing as officers of Imperial Navy), heretics (Dark Crusade), guardsmen (Only War) and spesh muhreens (Deathwatch).

I played and GMed games in all these systems save for Dark Crusade (though I am also very familiar with it) and you can have a narrative-focused gameplay in all of them. People often tend to think that Deathwatch is least conductive to this type of gameplay and it is true that the focus of the game is primary on dungeon crawling, but there is still a ton of exploration/investigation/interaction stuff that can be done if the players and GM know what they are doing and after all, most of the initial Horus Heresy books are narrative-focused stuff with muhreens.

I certainly dont see 40K as a "tactical/strategic setting only" but YMMV of course.

Tao

Savant
i was going to start playing this game as i'm (finally) on vacation but the portraits for males are... very limiting let said.

Is there any good portraits out there you guys are using? especially for a psyker?

ArchAngel

Arcane
How about this?

For me it is opposite. Forgefiend destroyed me while other fights I could win very slowly with turtling and buffing.
Forgefiend one shots tanks before they can get any buffs

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
i was going to start playing this game as i'm (finally) on vacation but the portraits for males are... very limiting let said.

Is there any good portraits out there you guys are using? especially for a psyker?
Look for posts by Longes in this thread.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How about this?

For me it is opposite. Forgefiend destroyed me while other fights I could win very slowly with turtling and buffing.
Yeah, my RT can solo bloodletters but this bastard was all Pasqal with a rifle.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The ascension ceremony should have been another book event, not a cutscene. It just doesn't work in their engine.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

:prosper:

hey hey rogue traders
pvmrot4cl47c1.png

why change it when you can just send her ass to the inquisition first chance you get? (I hope?)
It's better to wait a little longer and get free Dogmatic points (you won't have to wait long)
I had that event yesterday. Goodbye Indira, you were just standing there in the Voidship anyways :D
Jae on the other hand would be missed. She manages to heal my team every turn even when on the Voidship chilling
When the UNSANCTIONED PSYKER says "Hey maybe we should listen to this warp apparition that just appeared" it's time for a bolt shell to the head. What a dumb bitch.

Rhobar121

Scholar
How about this?

The most important thing in this fight is to ignore the covers and simply spread the group around the npc.
You kill all the adds, ignore the boss and just buff yourself (Heinrix is very good because of Shield of Emperor and Word of Emperor).
Even if the boss hits you, only one character will suffer.
After a few turns the boss will be useless.
Very easy fight

Zariusz

Arbiter
hey hey rogue traders
pvmrot4cl47c1.png

How about this?

rfvwCzA.png
I swear i saw some concept art with Abelard, Theodora and Idira but Idira was white there, almost looking like she had head of Argenta, sadly i cant find it again. Did anyone here saw something simillar to that?

Lemming42

Arcane
Still trying to persevere with this despite the bugs. Is combat meant to be entirely trivial after a certain point? I'm not even taking cover anymore, I'm just walking my whole team through the open towards the enemy and eating bullets. Occasionally I'll lose a teammate or two but they pop right back up again after combat and the "trauma" system seems to be almost entirely ignorable.

It's basically Owlcat's usual RTWP formula where you barely have to think about anything other than clicking on which enemy you want to attack and occasionally choosing an ability, except in TB form.

I got sick of Argenta missing every other burst shot so, out of frustration, I started walking her directly up to people so she could fire at point-blank range and it turns out this is a completely viable strategy that makes combat go quicker. Combined with Idira's chain lightning and Navigator-Whose-Name-I-Forgot's abilities, combat is over in like three rounds every time without me having to think at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom