Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hate how item balance is completely non existent at the moment. Like medium vs heavy armor. At time when you get only a few Heavy armors randomly here and there you lose 25% dodge but gain like 5 or 10 to armor and 1 deflection. It is not worth it. My tanks get blown up by enemy burst fire like they are not there. On the other hand Argenta can stand there in light armor and rarely get hit by anyone in her light armor with bonus dodge and focus on dodge. She even has the item that lets her parry melee attacks with ranged weapons which means even those enemies do nothing to her. Even worse at same time she has like 30% armor, Abelard has 50% armor and 1 deflection but gets hit easily by ranged attacks and suffers a lot of damage that way..
Also I got Pasqal heavy armor proficiency but then found 50% armor medium armor.. so why would I want to lose dodge for no gain?!

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Damage calculation is also kinda strange

Enemy using the same weapon (M4 Autogun) with no buff shoot me for like 20 per bullet while my soldier unbuffed do like 8.

Shaki

Arbiter
I hate how item balance is completely non existent at the moment. Like medium vs heavy armor. At time when you get only a few Heavy armors randomly here and there you lose 25% dodge but gain like 5 or 10 to armor and 1 deflection. It is not worth it. My tanks get blown up by enemy burst fire like they are not there. On the other hand Argenta can stand there in light armor and rarely get hit by anyone in her light armor with bonus dodge and focus on dodge. She even has the item that lets her parry melee attacks with ranged weapons which means even those enemies do nothing to her. Even worse at same time she has like 30% armor, Abelard has 50% armor and 1 deflection but gets hit easily by ranged attacks and suffers a lot of damage that way..
Also I got Pasqal heavy armor proficiency but then found 50% armor medium armor.. so why would I want to lose dodge for no gain?!
Idk how it is at other difficulty levels, but from my experience playing on unfair, right now being near the end of ch2, medium armors are dogshit, you either go full armor stacking or full dodge stacking for defense. Elite enemies will regularly have 100%+ armor pen and dodge reduction so anything below that is mostly worthless. I have my main as assassin with 165 dodge before all his buffs, and he'll still be hit quite often by elite/commander enemies. My Heinrix/Pasqal/Abelard have ~65-80% armor pre buffs, and one of the buffs is shield of the emperor that I always have up before any of the enemies move, which brings my goons to around 100% armor. They generally will shrug off hits from lesser enemies, but elite/commander can still oneshot them on first turn, tho by the end of 2nd I have armour stacked to ~160+ and they start being very tanky against elites too. I had Argenta in medium armor, so she had neither super high dodge (around 90-100) nor armor (50) and she was dying whenever any enemy looked at her, so now I'm building her toward heavy armour too.

Overall imho both dodge/armour are decent, as long as you focus one hard, the difference is that armour is much easier to stack in combat, so heavily armored character can be immortal by turn ~3, while my dodgy char is always at *some* risk of getting oneshot, but that's ok since dodge also works as a damage stat on him (lethality)

Shaki

Arbiter
Damage calculation is also kinda strange

Enemy using the same weapon (M4 Autogun) with no buff shoot me for like 20 per bullet while my soldier unbuffed do like 8.
Enemies get flat dmg bonuses based on their tier, I think, if you open log you should see something like +10 dmg Elite in dmg calculations. That's why high tier ones using burst are so dangerous, same as your characters when they have +flat dmg bonuses and burst.

Agreed. I find myself playing subpar on Unfair just because I'm tired of having to hit 5 buttons every turn and wait for animations. I wish there were toggles for things you use every turn.

Just turn off animations for friendly buffs/non attacks in the settings.

std::namespace

Say what you will, someone at Owlcat clearly knows their art.
its not trufanov though who did the illus
its also not blanche-like tbh, blanche is much more organic and muddy
it looks alot more like moebius... not that its bad
9Rb20Ul.jpeg

ArchAngel

Arcane
Agreed. I find myself playing subpar on Unfair just because I'm tired of having to hit 5 buttons every turn and wait for animations. I wish there were toggles for things you use every turn.

I have that off and I still get 1s animations, they last even longer otherwise?
I also tried to set that all animations are always skipped but then enemies teleport around and just do damage with zero animations. I might as well play some one man indie game in that case. Also it turns into studying combat log to figure out what happened so it is not much better.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Idk how it is at other difficulty levels, but from my experience playing on unfair, right now being near the end of ch2, medium armors are dogshit, you either go full armor stacking or full dodge stacking for defense. Elite enemies will regularly have 100%+ armor pen and dodge reduction so anything below that is mostly worthless. I have my main as assassin with 165 dodge before all his buffs, and he'll still be hit quite often by elite/commander enemies. My Heinrix/Pasqal/Abelard have ~65-80% armor pre buffs, and one of the buffs is shield of the emperor that I always have up before any of the enemies move, which brings my goons to around 100% armor. They generally will shrug off hits from lesser enemies, but elite/commander can still oneshot them on first turn, tho by the end of 2nd I have armour stacked to ~160+ and they start being very tanky against elites too. I had Argenta in medium armor, so she had neither super high dodge (around 90-100) nor armor (50) and she was dying whenever any enemy looked at her, so now I'm building her toward heavy armour too.

Overall imho both dodge/armour are decent, as long as you focus one hard, the difference is that armour is much easier to stack in combat, so heavily armored character can be immortal by turn ~3, while my dodgy char is always at *some* risk of getting oneshot, but that's ok since dodge also works as a damage stat on him (lethality)
I am playing on Hard and yes if one of those Elites with Burst fire look at abelard he loses 50% life in one burst..
I did last Janus fight
vs cultist Governor
and I had to retreat everyone outside LoS and only kept Sister in heavy cover with buffs to bait their attacks.

std::namespace

CRPG Bro with his Argenta sniper strat again, this time explained in-depth. He's completely broken the game lol. I always find this sort of thing partly amusing and partly depressing:-

why is this moran buffing resolve lawl?
aSYcy62.png

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is it me or is something not quite right with this release vs kingmaker/wrath? I've tried forcing myself playing it for an hour, but it's just not clicking, I can't seem to get into the flow.
I had a similar experience in wrath, but that only lasted like 10 mins.

I can't really think of a concrete reason why, maybe things are just forced upon me too much too quickly?

Is anyone else having issues?

Tell you what I think the real problem is, it's the animation delays and click lag or whatever it is. I don't think the system itself is that bad, with a bit of tweaking and nerfing (esp. to Officer) it'll be fine and fun, but what they really need to sort out is the unbearable little waits. The more you play the more unbearable those littls halts get.

I forgot to say, there's also a peculiar lag before icons light up in colour again and become available to click. Like with most games I know, there's some kind of mini queue so that even if you click the thing before its actually available, the thing will activate as soon as the animation is finished or it's off cooldown, but with this game you have to wait till the icon is visibly in colour again - it really slows things down.

Incendax

Augur

The option is there, but it doesn't do anything for me. I also have animation speed set to 5 and that doesn't do anything either.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Have you noticed that after reaching lvl 20 and getting +1 AP after turn 1 sometimes your characters have only 4 AP to spend?
Also I tried using Henrix ability that is supposed to give +1 AP until end of combat but now characters start turns with 5 ap instead of 6 :D

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I quite like this game. I know absolutely nothing about warhammer 40k before playing this. so.. yea pretty interesting stuff and writing.
Wish we had more VO, but whats there is allright. wish we had more classes and subclasses stuff. i guess the origins are kind of mini subclasses eh.. cool enough.

i like the techno dudes with implants n shit. The Machine God... yea im down for that. aliens, time travel, busty religious bitches with guns..

and you essentially play a space prince who can do whatever the fuck you want or some shit, and ppl kneel.

allright allright allright

Shaki

Arbiter
Have you noticed that after reaching lvl 20 and getting +1 AP after turn 1 sometimes your characters have only 4 AP to spend?
Also I tried using Henrix ability that is supposed to give +1 AP until end of combat but now characters start turns with 5 ap instead of 6 :D
Yes, permanent AP bonuses are bugged

Rhobar121

Scholar
this true rogue trader bros?!?

tkwWp0M.png
Yeah, that fight comes out of nowhere, I'm not even sure how are you supposed to fight it blind.
Typical Owlcat. Owlcat has probably the worst designers of all AA studios that deal with RPGs (any subgenre).
One would expect that after they have successfully achieved success, they would be able to afford to hire someone competent.
I can't wait to see what a tragedy their Russian mass effect will be.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:hmmm:

A lot of degenerate deranged faggot posters this year.

Ah yes, attraction to women as a source of degeneration. The ancients already knew this, which is why they were founding true solace in the arms of beautiful youngsters.

Art_gr%C3%A8cia.jpg

And who is yours eromenos, Fanta?
LoL the ancient greeks and the romans were washed away from history due to their degeneracy,the same fate will befall your pathetic faggot culture too.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Me: plays game normally
Me: runs into eldar/deldar even once
Me: activates cheat mode, gives squad yellow power armor, 99 str, bolt and power weapons

There's probably no yellow power armor in the game, but you get the point

1702943481382.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom