Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So is this game gonna be good?

I have ZERO prior knowledge of the warhammer universe, will I miss alot of stuff when playing rogue trader, or is it noob friendly for absolutely new-cumers to the franchise?
I wanna DIVE in tomorrow.
There was a galactic war long before humanity rose, that drove hyperspace mad and led to incarnations of pure evil born from said hyperspace. Humanity had a golden age of space exploration long after but then hyperspace travel got more complicated and the human galactic empire splintered. An übermensch Prof. X then created a new human space empire fashioned around himself that was a bit more traditional and fascist than the Golden Age human space empire. There are also lots of aliens, but all are evil. Prof. X aka the Emperor is also evil but all things being relative, he is the lesser evil compared to aliens and hyperspace demons.

Vasya

Novice
Bros, those of you who have been playing the latest beta. How buggy does the game seem to be? Is it safe to dive in as soon as it releases tomorrow, or should I wait and see?
According to that pcgamer review the release version is more buggy than the beta I was playing.

Yosharian

Arcane
I didn't have high expectations, but that PC Gaymer review made me really optimistic. If a game journo gives a low score whining about too complicated systems, it probably means the gameplay is great, and there wasn't enough woke shit to make up for the systems being too hard on journo's brain. Best possible endorsement.

Possibly. That same reviewer was pretty much spot-on with Owlcat's enduring flaw as to WOTR already. And all it took was a single, simple oservation:

"(There's a lot of filler").

That's saying it nicely. Now I DO like Owlcat's games. But I swear so far they are letting an intern go over all their maps at the last minute. His mission: to copypaste another couple copypaste mobs over any empty spot yet to be found. So that the resulting experience can be sold as twice as long time sink as BG1+2 combined.

And now the reviewer has this to say about Rogue Trader:

here are things about the combat I like. There's artful slow-mo on kill strikes that adds emphasis to the Sister of Battle's bursts of bolt-pistol fire or the psyker's lightning arcing from target to target. And using psychic powers results in veil degradation, which adds whispering voices, shadow tentacles, and other visual effects as well as random Perils of the Warp like a blastback of psychic damage or straight-up summoning a daemon.

It's just that there's a lot of combat, and most of it's boring. There's never one interesting tactical battle when there could be three samey ones to grind down your resources.

I mean, fingers crossed an all. But so far Owlcat have been remarkably stubborn to correct their ethos, given that Kingmaker took quite a bit of flak already. That is by anybody who isn't immediately enarmoured by the prospect of spending 200 hours on a single campaign itself, but only if that mostly entails quality as opposed to quantity.
My choice of waiting minimum 1 year after release before picking this up is looking more and more prescient.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"game journos opinion bad!"

Pigeon > Game journo

Call me when Owlcuck games wins

Would't happen because game journos only likes braindead games.

And this game journo mentioning bioware. Bioware before the decline made games in OwlCat style.

----------------

There is anyone who looks into game journo scores before buying a game?

but why did they insist on releasing this in 2023?

Probably because they wanna numbers good for investors and wanna launch before the next fiscal year?

My choice of waiting minimum 1 year after release before picking this up is looking more and more prescient.

I wanna play it but today a new hardcore ddo league is launching

gongal

Educated
Fuck the journos! (unless they align with my agenda and shill for a goyslop I want to consume right now)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck the reviewers, but why did they insist on releasing this in 2023?

They saw the numbers for interest in this game, and know that it is DOA. No point in investing more time and money into it, just release it to die and focus their efforts into the next game.

Owlcat's Pathfinder games were both strong word-of-mouth hits despite minimal mainstream press coverage. Why would this game, also based on a popular tabletop IP, be different?

Stokowski

Arcane
afbeelding.png

From the review:
In the Pathfinder games, which had D&D's alignment system, Owlcat tended to interpret Lawful alignments in a "we should kill goblin babies because they'll probably grow up evil" kind of way, which made playing a paladin a jarring experience.

:prosper:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Fuck reviewers, but why did they insist on releasing this in 2023?
For someone whose sole job it is to be aware of the industry, you sure are uninformed.
If you know why this game wasn't a 2024 title, please go ahead and tell us.
But really guys, this is Owlcat we are talking about, is anyone surprised? They haven't even finished Wrath yet!

:troll:

Kingmaker: An unfinished mess at launch.
Wrath: An unfinished mess at launch.
Rogue Trader: ???
Codex:

1701884028776.png

scytheavatar

Scholar
Fuck the reviewers, but why did they insist on releasing this in 2023?

They saw the numbers for interest in this game, and know that it is DOA. No point in investing more time and money into it, just release it to die and focus their efforts into the next game.

Owlcat's Pathfinder games were both strong word-of-mouth hits despite minimal mainstream press coverage. Why would this game, also based on a popular tabletop IP, be different?

Cause WH40k IP is popular, but people know the franchise mostly for Space Marines vs Orks. Rogue Trader is a niche within WH40k, and Owlcat has overestimated how much demand there is for people fantasizing about being an average joe within the WH40k universe. It's kind of like how only a tiny fraction of Pathfinder fans care about Starfinder and you will be courting financial suicidal by trying to make a Starfinder CRPG.

Also opinions on the Pathfinder games are mixed, with the 2 games being rated 78% and 83% on steam. Like Obsidian, Owlcat did a poor job in making casuals love their games and come back for more. There's only so many copies you can sell appealing to mainly the RPGCodex audience. Meanwhile Larian appealed to casuals with the DOS games and used them to fuel their success with BG3. This is what happens when your devs only cares about making games for themselves and not about their audiences.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
An unfinished mess at launch.

I don't think so. Many streamers did finished their "iron mode" challenge in launch.

The unique huge annoyance for me is that Ice Prison used to be an amazing spell in Kingmaker and had a bugged DC in Wrath till months after launch.

fantasizing about being an average joe within the WH40k universe.

Rogue traders aren't average joes in WH40k.

They are literally aristocracy.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Oh boy, popcorn time started early.

Only ~a day left before we start seeing numbers. Like it or not, sales numbers speak way more than anything else, including quality.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Oh boy, popcorn time started early.

Only ~a day left before we start seeing numbers. Like it or not, sales numbers speak way more than anything else, including quality.
The SALES won't be an issue - Owlscat have established a loyal customer base of autists and romohomos ready to go.

Shaki

Arbiter
This is what happens when your devs only cares about making games for themselves and not about their audiences.

This is how good games are made, if you care about audience capture more than you care about making the game you want, you just end up with mass produced goyslop.

But trying to say that Owlcat don't care about audience is pretty retarded, I doubt having more trannies, niggers, "body types" and shit like this with every new game, is because that's what they want to make, they're clearly trying to pander to the casual zoomer crowd as much as other devs, they're just awful at doing it, so instead of getting casuals interested, they just make their core audience mad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom