Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun - W40K boomer shooter

Peachcurl

Cipher
also from the longer steam description:

Play a battle-hardened Space Marine on a perilous mission across the galaxy, as they battle against the Chaos Space Marines and daemons of Chaos.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I would assume "they" refers to Space Marines, plural, but GW being what they are, this could very well be the first FPS starring a troon.

Why is it the fucking smurfs again, can't they feature an actually fun chapter like the Black Templars or the Hospitaliers?

Also, Trench Foot is the 40k FPS we deserve.

I am no native english speaker but I thought you use "they" when you don't know the gender? So instead of writing "he/she/it", you write "they"? I also do not know anything about WH lore but I assume, as it is old stuff, that there are only men in the army? My assumption is that they don't care and you can pick a gender at the start, and therefore "they".
There's really two alternatives.

Either they're saying they, as in, all the Space Marines, are fighting against traitors and daemons, or the SM is a troon.

As for the Space Marines, they're all men since the procedure only works on males.

Not everyone who does that "I use them/they pronouns" thingy is a troon. Although this may be a technical difference only, and I agree to the rest of your post.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it's normal to use "they" as a pronoun for a blank-slate video game protagonist who has few real identifying characteristics, because they can be thought of as stand-ins for the players who are controlling them. Like, Doomguy isn't really a person even if his portrait down there is male.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Why is it the fucking smurfs again, can't they feature an actually fun chapter like the Black Templars or the Hospitaliers?
All text blurbs I've seen just mention playing as a Space Marine rather than specifically smurfs. So maybe you get to choose which chapter you want, possibly also why it says "they".

lightbane

Arcane
They are INFINITELY faster, cheaper and easier to produce and as a nice bonus you often times end up with very passable gameplay because they try to emulate the good old ones.

I wish they did actual pixel art like classic Doom and the others, not this pixelated blur that you can't see shit with. Hell, I would accept cheesy digitalized human actors over this fad.

Who started this shit by the way? Dusk?

I am no native english speaker but I thought you use "they" when you don't know the gender? So instead of writing "he/she/it", you write "they"? I also do not know anything about WH lore but I assume, as it is old stuff, that there are only men in the army? My assumption is that they don't care and you can pick a gender at the start, and therefore "they".

The latest years there's been an intention to make "they" the default pronoun as mentioned here, but there's malicious intent behind as it's used even when we talk about clearly a male (and rarely a female) character, especially the former.
Extra points if "he" and "they" are used in the same sentence and both referring to the same character for additional confusion.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
"Play a battle hardened space marine (singular) as they (lol) battle shit". It's wishful thinking at best and stupidity at worst to make excuses that lul this is about all spehs mahrines.

Besides, it's not even supposed to point to the marine being a troon, it's just retarded newspeak where retards refer to everything as 'they'. I've even seen people talk about characters in games where it couldn't be more pronounced that they are male/female as 'they'.

I think it's normal to use "they" as a pronoun for a blank-slate video game protagonist who has few real identifying characteristics, because they can be thought of as stand-ins for the players who are controlling them. Like, Doomguy isn't really a person even if his portrait down there is male.

now this is just fucking stupid and you can always bet on the local merchant to provide the most fucking stupid take on a given subject

toughasnails

I don't care about WH40K lore one way or another but spehs mahreens are supposed to be transhuman. I also understand that their consciousness can get preserved and transferred somehow if their body dies, it isn't intrinsically tied to one concrete embodiment, I can swear it was alluded to in one game or another? So it is fair to assume that they wouldn't understand identity in the way humans do since they don't work with our limitations.

This too. Silent protagonist is generally a cipher even if they are given a name and some history (for example Corvo in the OG Dishonored).

Peachcurl

Cipher
spehs mahreens are supposed to be transhuman.
Okay... ?

I also understand that their consciousness can get preserved and transferred somehow if their body dies, it isn't intrinsically tied to one concrete embodiment, I can swear it was alluded to in one game or another?
For vanilla, loyalist, non-psyker space marines it is certainly not true. Space-magic exceptions may be possible.

So it is fair to assume that they wouldn't understand identity in the way humans do since they don't work with our limitations.
Pointless in this context, unless you assume that the respective space marine narrates his own story.

This too. Silent protagonist is generally a cipher even if they are given a name and some history (for example Corvo in the OG Dishonored).
Okay, sure. But are male ciphers usually referred to with neutral pronouns?

orcinator

Liturgist
I don't care about WH40K lore one way or another but spehs mahreens are supposed to be transhuman. I also understand that their consciousness can get preserved and transferred somehow if their body dies, it isn't intrinsically tied to one concrete embodiment, I can swear it was alluded to in one game or another? So it is fair to assume that they wouldn't understand identity in the way humans do since they don't work with our limitations.

Umm lore check false.

toughasnails

OK so I guess I was wrong about that. I must have misunderstood something, this idea really got stuck in my mind and seemed to fit the universe perfectly well from what I saw of it in various games.

Fargus

Arcane
I'll play this shit because it looks fun, WH40k shooter is an exteme rarity and always been while strategic warhammer shovelware is just getting on my nerves at this point.

But holy shit that trailer above was so cringy.... it's like 80-90s action figure commercial. :lol:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
More ultrasmurfs shooting kaos.

Meh.

Give me black templars purging some space elves, please. Preferably the edgy variety.

Fargus

Arcane
I don't know why they push smurfs so much, i'm rather removed from all this warhammer nerdry shit and just enjoy the setting, but i wish to see more than just blood ravens and smurfs in every damn game. But i guess smurfs are poster boys of warhammer 40k so gotta use smurfs.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Contempt raising armour is pretty clever, I'll give them that.

However, otherwise it looks like crap. Slow movement, guns feel like peashooters, stupid slow-ass reloading, dumbass health bars, uninteresting enemies. General style is all over the place too. And I can already tell how clunky those melee attacks are.

The final fight against the GUO was just sad too.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Well at least they're self-aware, having your Ultrasmurf take a break to read the Codex Astartes :lol:

They mention Captain Titus too, which is always cool in my book. Hopefully there are references to Cato Sicarius being a dick too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom