Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Uhnnn... There have been at least two different translation projects, the TLwiki one (http://tlwiki.org/?title=Daiteikoku) is the new one. I played with the old translation, and not sure if it was even 1.02. I made my own translated script for the later parts of the LP since I went into untranslated territory.

I think the patch installer should say clearly if there is an issue with a specific file, seeing that you have partial translation I'd say you just had an problem with one of the scripts.

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showt...ion-in-progress-35-mark?p=3493378#post3493378

Maybe try changing your system locale to Japanese?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
System locale was set to wapanese. I guess I can try running it as an admin as well and see if that fixes it. Dang it, I wanted space nazis :(

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Eien no Aselia
Is that game any good? been meaning to play it.
It's ok but having played the sequel, I can't get into the original now.
So i better play it before the sequel. Where can i get the game btw?
If you want to play it, the best place is piratebay.

And there are few non spoily hints.

Finish Aselia ending first. (It's the correct one anyway.)
Orpha is different.
If you don't do strategy games: git gut.
(And avoid reloading. I didn't lose anyone and was catastrophically wiped only twice on my first playtrought.)

And yes you MUST start new game after you finish the first one.

Route order:
Aselia > Esperia > Orpha > Uruka > Lesteena > Kyouko > Tokimi
You can do Kyouko route second.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So, finally finished Coμ.

Man, it was a long one. Some assorted thoughts.

Setting-wise it couldn't be more typical. High-school kids(+some uni students for flavour) acquire mysterious power, are forced to fight others with similar powers. The fact that it is not super-powered individuals, but random people tied together with a dead man's switch makes it more interesting though. A large dose of suspension of disbelief is naturally needed, but at least the writing tries to provide some degree of plausibility to the events.

Characters are largely typical fodder, though with some appropriate twists and turns. The heroines and harem members are not that interesting, but they each have their moments. The antagonists, a few psychopaths aside, all have their internally coherent motivations. If this was a C&C-laden cRPG, it'd be hard to pick a side. Everyone tends to have both good and bad sides to them, with plenty of blood in their hands - intentionally or not.

The protagonist is also a bit atypical for the genre. He is more proactive and less prone to self-deprecation than one would expect. Not a super-powered shounen hero or a nerdy loser with a heart of gold. He's more of a wannabe brooding good guy with a bad habit of helping damsels in distress. And refreshingly, if the situation calls for it, he isn't afraid of getting himself dirtied either.

The routes vary wildly. The common route is obviously introductory round, which in game of this scale will take a while. The first route you get to is kind of half-hearted in a way. It fits the heroine, as she too is a bit... immature. Many things are left open and not that much is revealed. From here the story branches off and you're presented with one good, one funny and one pointless route.

The good one is a bit cliché, but it moves the story along and gives plenty of new perspective to events you've witnessed (or will see in other routes). The heroine in this one isn't the most memorable, but maybe that fits her character as well.

The funny route is pretty much joke, as it revolves around a comedic relief character. It is completely detached from the main story, and if it wasn't for the fact that it had the hottest sex scenes, it'd probably feel like a huge chore to plough through, since you have to finish all routes until you get to the "true route".

comyu_ayaya.png

The pointless route is another side story. It suffers from the fact that it is detached from the main story and that it features the weakest of the heroines. She's so blatantly obvious fan-pandering creation that it isn't even funny. Especially since that fan segment happens to be the NEET paedophile segment To make things worse, a majority of the route is seriously the two characters sitting home in front of the computer, checking wiki updates and internet boards. Not to mention that to make the whole thing work, they need to rewrite the protagonist becoming something that he isn't (pedophile and otaku).

Finally, after going through all those routes, you'll get to the "true route" which reveals all the remaining secrets and revolves around the best waifu of the game. Hands down, no doubt about it:

comyu_kagome.png

A super-powered childhood friend who scares the living hell out of everybody, protagonist included. Snarky, remorseless and unfaltering. She is like a gender-reversed male anti-hero. The kind of woman that really wouldn't exist in real life. She walks around naked, ruthlessly tempts the protagonist when she isn't busy calling him out for his stupidity, and generally doesn't give a fuck. Even banging her doesn't make her mellow.

comyu_kagome_best_girl.png

I'd reckon the game is worth checking out just for Kagome. She's the kind of heroine you won't see often, mainly because she isn't weak and submissive and there isn't a bit of "moe" in her character. A genuinely strong individual.

If we move on from the setting and the characters, the writing itself, as I mentioned in my previous post about the game, is incredibly pretentious sometimes. It balances a fine balance, but ultimately it makes that work as a strength. Occasionally too self-aware and fourth-wall breaking, but still the story has that degree of maturity that is hard to find in weabooland writing. Occasionally over-lengthy slice of life -scenes and repeated segments aside, the story keeps moving on and managed to keep me entertained 'till the classy ending.

Would pay money for.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
"If you fall here... this world, this Earth will be lost! Therefore... fight! It is our duty as SCRIBE!"

My impression was that Bradyon Veda is pretty mediocre. It tries to go for the right things, but kinda falls flat. The characters are not that interesting and the Mars cockroach-thing has ruined this sort of aesthetics for me. Female character's bazookas are frigging distracting too.

It does have that Space-Breivik-tranny -thing going on, so I'll give them that.

Bradyon_Veda_space_breivik.png

Was creepy. For all the wrong reasons.

Would play through again if someone translates, but highly unlikely.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Well only one of these lists have Sengoku Rance so I guess the Japanese just have better taste than you filthy Gaijins.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Top-rated VNs in Japan (from erogamescape.dyndns.org):

1. Muv-Luv Alternative
2. YU-NO
3. Steins;Gate
4. Ever17 -the out of infinity-
5. White Album 2 - closing chapter
6. Clannad
7. Symphonic Rain
8. Sengoku Rance
9. Kazoku Keikaku
10. Utawarerumono
Wait, what?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well only one of these lists have Sengoku Rance so I guess the Japanese just have
better taste than you filthy Gaijins.
If only YU-NO was #1 and not Turd-Luv.
That's MUV-LUV Alternative.

I still need to finish two more routes from MUV-LUV, and then go to Unlimited, before I'd get to that stuff. Actually the story is funny, if not for that lackluster ending of original. (You kinda get girl, you kinda get sex, and that's it.) That kitty IS funny however. Also the idea of teacher to force them to answer questions that require to know her unreleased Nobel price work from physics...

1. Muv-Luv Alternative
2. YU-NO
3. Steins;Gate
6. Clannad
7. Symphonic Rain
8. Sengoku Rance
9. Kazoku Keikaku
10. Utawarerumono
Wait, what?
What do you mean what? It's a quality game.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I'm pretty sure the guy who finished off the LP of Sengoku Rance knows its a quality game.

So he's "what" is most likely because he doesn't consider it a Visual Novel because it has too much gameplay to categorize as one.

Japan doesn't care about that though... and neither does other countries, since it's also listed in VNDB.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Considering Eien no Aselia is also listed as a VN, and Utawaremuno is at position 10, there is no reason to be surprised.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I'm just generally anal about game classifications.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

1. Muv-Luv Alternative
2. YU-NO
3. Steins;Gate
6. Clannad
7. Symphonic Rain
8. Sengoku Rance
9. Kazoku Keikaku
10. Utawarerumono
Actually is there longer list? I'm curious about top 30, or 50.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Someone actually made a post on that in the... I dunno, Strategy game section? I forgot but everyone ignored it.

Game's actually pretty hard if you play on the higher difficulties but they've patched it recently so maybe that's fixed.

Drakron

Arcane
Thats a understatement apparent, I given up on the Pirate Base and proceeded to uninstall ... and that was on normal.

I suppose this is a problem with Indy games, they create a system and then forget one thing ... DIFFICULTY CURVE, I would not even mention this if I didnt play Galaxy Angel I and II and as GAI is hilarious easy for most part, GAII is really not that easy (its about as hard as the end of GAI that is simply hard because you can pretty much sleep until that point, then it expects people to actually know the system and thats fair) but this? its like no real explanation of the controls its expects to know the system because apparently we all worked on it and know how it works.

I am not going to say its hard but I do say its absurd on not explaining shit and pulling dick moves ... and even if I might not be good at stategy games I *still* beat GAII Chitose intro mission.

Drakron

Arcane
Its more then that, its the positions were we start and were the enemies are.

TigerKnee

Arcane
ucaj0v9.jpg

Sunrider got a huge content update today.

For some reason, they changed the battlefields from Square grids to Hex grids. I guess it's more monocled now or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom