Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Victoria 2: Ahistorical fairy-land Latin America, what the fuck Paradox?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It depends on the country you're playing, the likes of Germany and the US can start off with Laissez Faire rather easily. But a lesser power, such as other american countries can benefit a lot from State Capitalism.
Yea, only a country with a substantial population and its own raw material production can handle Laissez Faire.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Doesn't Laissez Faire increase production efficiency? It would make it great for industrialized nations without much resources - manufacturing more from less.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Doesn't Laissez Faire increase production efficiency? It would make it great for industrialized nations without much resources - manufacturing more from less.
Nope, since you actually have a problem there already due to an extremely important thing:

Coal, Iron and Timber are the most valuable and in-demand products in the world. Without any domestic production, your factories simply cannot get off the ground and stay off the ground. The solution is negative tariffs, but that's where we run into the second problem that's also linked to the first...

The second part that screws you over is that quantity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> quality in Vicky 2. It's extremely difficult to maintain negative tariffs as a small country due to the fact that the way Taxes work is utterly bizarre. It's a bell curve, you will not survive on taxes without a certain minimum amount of population (usually somewhere around 1M). This also ties back into the factories, where you need a certain amount of population to industrialize.

Of course, this is all irrelevant because the +10% efficiency is piss in the wind when it comes to being an industrial power in Vicky 2.

Delterius

Arcane
By the way, I just tried my first Laissez Faire economy with a expansionistic Brazil that forged an Empire in Africa. Can Capitalists only really expand ONE factory for the entire REGION? Because that's a deal breaker, I have thousands of unemployed in some regions and the bastards insist on expanding one per time. Thankfully, magical elections reverted to a state capitalist party for a term so I could expand everything myself.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
By the way, I just tried my first Laissez Faire economy with a expansionistic Brazil that forged an Empire in Africa. Can Capitalists only really expand ONE factory for the entire REGION? Because that's a deal breaker, I have thousands of unemployed in some regions and the bastards insist on expanding one per time. Thankfully, magical elections reverted to a state capitalist party for a term so I could expand everything myself.

The game is skewed against Laissez Faire. It's an ideology thing from the devs, roll with it.

Haha, you think that's bad. As Texas I wasn't able to build my first railroad until the 1920s. This is after I'd annexed most of the way down to south america and was butting heads against brazil.

Laissez Faire is synonynous with greece debt crisis in any vicky 2 game, with capitalists building telephone factories in provinces where 1 old man and his two goats live.
Avoid it like the devil unless you have an industrial score above 300-400. It also doesn't help with your national stockpile in war time if I remember right.

Delterius

Arcane
The issue is that I managed to skillfully/luckily avoid a Great War while still scoring some land from Great Britain's during the preliminary conflict. The resulting balance of power amongst every GP in the world (note that the US are fighting the war but haven't done anything, a recurring theme in my games) is exploding my population with foreign workers and clerks.

Meanwhile the damn capitalists only update a single factory per region even though there are plenty of them and plenty of money for it. My industrial score can more than live through a Laissez Faire economy, but it seems economy growth with LF is only really good if you have both a strong capitalist category AND a lot of different regions, so they put their money to work. Not to mention how smart their investment is (the super profitable textile factory or the luxury clothes factory that has less than a thousand employees and only really exists because I subsidized it? You bet its always the latter).

Meaning that another factor in US economic growth is how detailed their map is when compared to, say, the rest of America.

The issue is that I managed to skillfully/luckily avoid a Great War while still scoring some land from Great Britain's during the preliminary conflict. The resulting balance of power amongst every GP in the world (note that the US are fighting the war but haven't done anything, a recurring theme in my games) is exploding my population with foreign workers and clerks.

Meanwhile the damn capitalists only update a single factory per region even though there are plenty of them and plenty of money for it. My industrial score can more than live through a Laissez Faire economy, but it seems economy growth with LF is only really good if you have both a strong capitalist category AND a lot of different regions, so they put their money to work. Not to mention how smart their investment is (the super profitable textile factory or the luxury clothes factory that has less than a thousand employees and only really exists because I subsidized it? You bet its always the latter).

Meaning that another factor in US economic growth is how detailed their map is when compared to, say, the rest of America.

Do you mean they are only updating one factory at a time or only collecting funds to start the updating one at a time? I've seen the second, but I've also seen an economy so strong that it takes about 2 or 3 days to collect the funds and then another project can be made. Sounds like your capitalists are weak.

Delterius

Arcane
No no, there are tens of thousands of them already. It takes them seconds to collect funds for things - the weird thing is that they won't start a new project in a region where at least one factory's already being upgraded.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists

The game is skewed against Laissez Faire. It's an ideology thing from the devs, roll with it.
Yep, now we will fear the word of the plebs insofar as they have no fucking idea what they want or what to do. Just like real life.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Holy smokes, patch 3.04

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ria-2-3-04-beta-patch-merry-christmas.898844/

• Right-clicking a country on the map when no units are selected now opens diplomacy with that country.
  • AI Great Powers in Europe now care about crises on other continents.
  • Fixed a bug where forming nations could completely mess up diplomatic relations and satellites.
  • AI Great Powers in America now care about crises in the other American continent.
  • Effects of Machine Tools, Tractors, Nitroglycerin, Distribution Channels & Electricity inventions are now country wide instead of being spread through province event spam.
  • Election events are now country-wide, and occur less often (about twice per election).
  • Added Borderless Windowed mode.
  • Fixed map crash when you start Victoria 2 for the first time.
  • Will now show proper unit information if you hover over the unit icon.
  • Fixed units getting stuck if you embark them on ships.
  • Increased the cooldown between crises to 5 years.
  • AI no longer believes the Age of Sail ended in 1936.
  • AI will no longer delete closed factories while at war.
  • It is now possible for non-host players in multiplayer to see how the AI would respond to diplomatic offers.
  • Call Ally will now get a clear yes/no answer from allies, instead of random chance.
  • Right-clicking 'go to diplomacy' will no longer be interpeted by the game as a desperate desire to crash to desktop.
  • No longer possible to load an infinite amount of troops onto a single ship if they happen to board at the same time.
  • You now only get the bankruptcy notification/CB if the amount owed to you is a significant sum.
  • Can now set decisions to be ignored, ignored decisions will not light up the 'decision can be taken' icon in main interface.
  • 'Sign the Geneva Convention' decision now has larger benefits and slower badboy decay as a downside instead of reducing max military spending.
  • 'National Banking Act' decision is now actually worth taking.
  • has_national_minority and political_movement triggers now have the correct localisations.
  • Added split in half (shortcut 's') in unit view. This will split the selected unit into two as balanced units as it can, then select only the more powerful of the two.
  • Added World Wars, the next level after Great Wars. a GW can become a WW after mass politics (1905) is researched and the winning side gains 50% warscore. After this all wargoals have their cost cut to 30% allowing you to really dismantle stuff at the end of the game.
  • Fascist Siam now called Thailand
  • Removed factory output changes depending on difficulty level. Non standard difficulty levels should now be safe to play without risking economic issues.
  • A lot less wickedness will now be stamped out in the USA (moral crusader event now fires on country level and not every week).
  • Jacobins now make democracies of prussian constitutionalism.
  • Airplane-only armies no longer completely murder the strongest offensive armies when attacked. Discipline (org dmg reduction) is reduced a lot making them better mixed where they can support from the back line as they wont be able to hold provinces well. Also reduced defense a bit.
  • Crisis with attacker backer and no defender backer now resolves automatically in favor of attacker rather than fizzling.
  • Lone defender backer now gets some prestige for being gutsy and stepping up even if no attackers.
  • Added historical military leaders to many nations.
  • The Polar Bear Purchase will now turn all pops in iceland, greenland & jan mayen into polar bears.
  • Added some jaw-dropping polar bear artwork.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's only optional, you have to enable it through beta branch. Or so I read.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Devs working on patch after 2 years of doing nothing, Victoria 3 confirmed. :M

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Some of those updates sound pretty good, especially the Event spam. I wanted to throat-punch that kid that kept saying, "MOTHER! MOTHER! THEY'VE GOT NEW TOOLS IN THE MINE!"

Erzherzog

Magister
Glad to see this patch, had been disappointed the last we saw of the game was the HoD release, because that expansion made the game a lot more enjoyable. Still play it occasionally, especially since the crisis system made playing smaller nation more fun usually.

I'm scared though, because part of me sees this might just be the last "gift" to Vicky fans because they have no desire to make a game in the series any time soon, but part of me also hopes this means that the Victoria series has some strong fans at Paradox.

I still remember that Paradox's CEO was very much against even developing Victoria 2. He had some obnoxious bet that it would be unprofitable.

Moink

Cipher
The fact that they had to do this in their spare time shows how little paradox cares about the Victoria series BUT OH GOD IT FIXED THAT MAP CRASH BUG YES I LOVE YOU.

Right-clicking 'go to diplomacy' will no longer be interpeted by the game as a desperate desire to crash to desktop.

loled. Can't believe a fucking crash to desktop just from right clicking a major UI element has existed for over 5 years in a product that has received 2 expansions. That's Paradox QA for you.

Tigranes

Arcane
I love the idea of Victoria but I could never into the pop system and the factories. When I did work out how to play it, it wasn't through any intuitive mastery but learned memories of what fixes what problem, and then you still had to experience - in the early days - hours of laborious economy building spewing out before your eyes from some pseudo-buggy glut of resources or bad pop assignments to factories or something I can't remember.

Yeah, that's an invitation for someone to mention some details about how it's gotten better that suck me into regretting my life choices once again

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Holy shit! They added Serfs as a Pop! This was really missing from before!

And the political reforms are totally changed!

It's a shame this is probably a sign that Vicky is done. Hell, according to Paradox Vicky II was made as a bet with Johann: if it succeeds, he shaves his head. I think they deleted that topic after it was released though.

Why would Vicky be done? CKII is a good example of what was once a nearly forgotten title turning into massive success.
If they don't want to release more Victoria games, they should at least have the decency to hand the code over to some modders interested in making games off it. Although I think they would't because its the Clausewitz engine, not the Europa Engine which they already abandoned. Thanks to that we got For The Glory and Darkest Hour.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Vicky 2 on the europa engine game hasthe most pretty map. Compared to it HOI 4 looks like total shit with epilepsy inducing night/day cycle

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom