Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Victoria 2: Ahistorical fairy-land Latin America, what the fuck Paradox?

tiagocc0

Arcane
The game is for less than $6 now
http://www.indiegala.com/

Ohh tempting indeed. Hows the Steam version to Victoria II? I've heard different things about paradoxs games when it comes to steam.
What do you mean? You just get in on steam and play it, however it's DRM free, so after the initial download you can copy the game folder and remove steam and play victoria 2 without it (works for any paradox game as well as a lot of other games).
Wow, now that's interesting.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
What do you mean? You just get in on steam and play it, however it's DRM free, so after the initial download you can copy the game folder and remove steam and play victoria 2 without it (works for any paradox game as well as a lot of other games).

Well i've heard that the steam version of Victoria II had some problems with installing mods and playing multiplayer with people that does not own the steam version(Problems with the checksum i guess). Not a dealbreaker, but would be nice to know just in case :) Sorry for being a bit vague!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Well i've heard that the steam version of Victoria II had some problems with installing mods and playing multiplayer with people that does not own the steam version(Problems with the checksum i guess). Not a dealbreaker, but would be nice to know just in case :) Sorry for being a bit vague!
I have no idea... I played the game in SP only and without mods. Maybe someone else can answer, but since it's DRM free I kind of doubt that...

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
156325_10151655543324816_1429240886_n.png

269261_10151657603929816_1341237122_n.png

:bounce:

potatojohn

Arcane
Revealed:

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/victoria-ii-heart-of-darkness#about_game-tab

Experience a brand new colonization system: Use your navy to expand your empire, compete against other colonial powers and struggle to maintain your overseas control. Colonial conflicts can spiral out of control and become international crises where they will have to be decided by diplomatic negotiations or risk costly wars.

Battle your enemies in the new naval combat system: Together with the new colonization system, your navies are more important than ever. We have revamped the entire naval combat system and made it much more detailed and exciting with a new system of gun ranges and maneuvering into positions for battles. New powerful battleships join the other classes of ships to bridge the gap to Dreadnoughts.

Prepare for International Crises: Around the world international crises continually call on the Great Powers to mediate and compromise, with war always being the last resort. As one of the lesser powers, use your influence to stir up the local flash points so you can use fleet footed diplomacy to get the Great Powers to right the wrongs that have been committed against your nation!

Follow the global events with the new newspaper system: You will receive reports on local and global events as well as the world's changing situation to keep up to date and get a greater sense of immersion. Over 60 newspapers, both historic and otherwise, periodically present you with the latest news reports of war, major events, royal gossip and other matters of interest.

Damn it - when I read the topic title I was hoping for a game that uses a setting along the lines of the Louis de Bernières books about Latin America. I.e. South American military narco-state, but as though the country really is as it's viewed from the eyes of the rural villagers - so you have shamanistic magic, curses and traditional mythology sitting alongside military dictatorships, separatist terrorists and drug-lord militias. Tanks, suicide bombers and mythological creatures are treated as co-existing. It's less retarded than it sounds - it's mostly a real-world setting, but as it's 'the world as seen by superstitious peasants', if there's a bad crop it really is because someone pissed off the gods, etc.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sounds like exactly what the game needed: more tensions between the great powers. Since it was quite stagnant before. Hopefully they work on the AI too.

Sounds like exactly what the game needed: more tensions between the great powers. Since it was quite stagnant before. Hopefully they work on the AI too.
Considering what they promised, I can see it happening. I've some faith in them, but I'm afraid they are gonna start churning out DLC about spritepacks again.

Oh well, East vs West is on the horizon. For the slowpokes among us:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...est-Developer-Diary-3-The-Art-Of-The-Cold-War

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Considering what they promised, I can see it happening. I've some faith in them, but I'm afraid they are gonna start churning out DLC about spritepacks again.

Oh well, East vs West is on the horizon. For the slowpokes among us:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...est-Developer-Diary-3-The-Art-Of-The-Cold-War
Hope they make proxy warfare (ie. Soviet to Viet Cong, US to Contras) very important in propagating influence.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Vir Oranje! Vir Transvaal!

The Boers are also playable.
And practically suicide mode if you aren't as good at the game as Furious Flaming Faggot or Cassidy, or cheat like a mofo for the first twenty or so years to stand a chance.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Vir Oranje! Vir Transvaal!

The Boers are also playable.
And practically suicide mode if you aren't as good at the game as Furious Flaming Faggot or Cassidy, or cheat like a mofo for the first twenty or so years to stand a chance.
The British almost never attack and you can ward off a Portuguese attack, if they don't attack you in the first ten years. The rest is all prestige farming through research, getting the right colonisation research ready and eating up Mozambique when Portugal is weakened. The game plays quite differently as industry is impossible, but finances are quite good. The only problem with this method is that colonisation is considerably more difficult with only one national focus, but it's possible to get in ahead of France and the Brits.

Edit: There's also the easy mode option, which is starting the game as the United Kingdom and releasing South Africa.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Would buy it if not props micromanagement, I am God Emperor in Paradox game not middle level arbeitamst functionary, so any modes for EU3 extending her to at least 1920?

Thankfully they scrapped the pop management aspect, so the largest waste of time and fun in the original game is no longer an issue. I also never bothered to learn the market system, so when I play Victoria 2, I pretty much leave all the buying and selling of goods to the computer, regulating the economy solely through the budget screen and by controlling factory and railroad construction myself. Works quite well actually, lazy as it is.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They improved POP management but I miss the days when you promoted 10k farmers to capitalists and was done with that issue. Certainly was easy, even if it didnt make any sense at all.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Is there any reason to adopt an economic policy that doesn't allow you to manage factories yourself? Unless you're trying to further remove any control over the economy that you might have (say, because you're some doveish ideologue, and drip cum at the thought of universal suffrage, liberalism), you always play in a way that ensures the party giving the most autocratic control wins elections. This is because you know that the AI capitalists are morons and build factories according whichever profit-maximizing nostrum the devs have concocted, and not according to the needs of a wartime economy; or just because you actually want to play the game.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I guess it might be necessary to run Laissez-faire sometimes if you want to attract hordes of immigrants to bolster your population. I never really saw the need for it, though, and pretty much always go with State Capitalism. Its only drawback, aside from the factory costs, is that the capitalists can't expand factories, so sometimes when I don't need to build new factories but still want to improve my existing ones I switch momentarily to Interventionism.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Would buy it if not props micromanagement, I am God Emperor in Paradox game not middle level arbeitamst functionary, so any modes for EU3 extending her to at least 1920?

Thankfully they scrapped the pop management aspect, so the largest waste of time and fun in the original game is no longer an issue. I also never bothered to learn the market system, so when I play Victoria 2, I pretty much leave all the buying and selling of goods to the computer, regulating the economy solely through the budget screen and by controlling factory and railroad construction myself. Works quite well actually, lazy as it is.
Yea, the market is better left to the AI while you focus on the indirect effects to it (read: Steal some poor bastard's coal). However, while the AI is competent with managing the market, good lawdy lawd is it necessary to get State Capitalism in the first three quarters of the game so you can set up a functional industrial base.

EDIT: Also, Laissez Faire has no effect on immigration I think.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Indeed, I just figured it might be a policy one would often have to put up with while going for a liberal party with an open immigration policy.

oscar

Arcane
Laissez Faire actually started quite rapidly boosting my industry score as Germany in the 1900s (was already #1 but it climbed even further). PDM gives it a nice efficiency bonus that makes it useful when you've got a large, well-established industry that can survive without your help.

Delterius

Arcane
It depends on the country you're playing, the likes of Germany and the US can start off with Laissez Faire rather easily. But a lesser power, such as other american countries can benefit a lot from State Capitalism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom