Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller: Age of Decadence needs to sell 45,000 copies to be successful

Kilus

Educated
Or maybe it's just objectively bad idea to use two mutually exclusive gameplay modes: "fallout- like" isometric exploration - text- based CYOA. SURPRISE.

Counterpoint: Planescape: Torment.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Counterpoint: Planescape: Torment.

:D :D :D

Dialog options causing:
- unforeseen instant teleportation to a remote place that's not available in regular exporation mode, unable to return back after
- unforeseen participation in unbreakable scripted dialog- based sequence, including: teleportation, multiple different scenes, complex skill checks
- unforeseen participation in unbreakable scripted dialog- based sequence that cannot be temporarily left or repeated
Also:
Scenes where the regular gameplay related to combat, interaction or travel is often replaced with long dialog- based sections

Yes, the game was FULL of it! Couldn't make two steps in Sigil without any of those constantly appearing. All the time, trapped in dialog tree.

Jokes aside, you should play it someday. Good game. Gameplay same as in Fallout and other Infinity- based games.

Now get on my ignore list along with others tampon chewers.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Fuck, if they love Hollywood so much, let them use that as an example. Set up pseudo-indie wholly owned subsidiaries where they can send their young/talented designers to get lead experience, play around with concepts that are too risky for the bigtime, spending a pittance compared to their big-sellers except also letting their 'indie division' borrow their big corporate brothers' distribution, marketing and technology to do more than what a genuine indie can afford (just giving them their engine, plus lending them some programmers and artists who need a break from the mass-production grind so they don't burn out, would be a big bonus). Allow 'special talents' to make risky projects with a free hand, in return for them using their 'prestige' to promote the mother label (like they do with Tarantino today, and with Kubrick in his time - the latter, in particular, even had to be reminded by the studio sometimes that they weren't going to put sales pressure on him, because they knew they'd be using his name to boost the image of their company for decades to come).

I've been thinking this exact same thing as well, and it's a great way to access the smaller markets but still reign in some profitability. Further, if you get lucky you can get an indie project like Minecraft and make a ton of cash. Of course, it won't probably happen because the industry has always shown itself to be incredibly short sighted.

Rake

Arcane
Dialog options causing:
- unforeseen instant teleportation to a remote place that's not available in regular exporation mode, unable to return back after
- unforeseen participation in unbreakable scripted dialog- based sequence, including: teleportation, multiple different scenes, complex skill checks
- unforeseen participation in unbreakable scripted dialog- based sequence that cannot be temporarily left or repeated
:love:

hivemind

:D :D :D

Dialog options causing:

Yes, the game was FULL of it! Couldn't make two steps in Sigil without any of those constantly appearing. All the time, trapped in dialog tree.

Jokes aside, you should play it someday. Good game. Gameplay same as in Fallout and other Infinity- based games.

Now get on my ignore list along with others tampon chewers.
most autistic post on this website that I read to date

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
...unforeseen instant teleportation...
Select PC line: Talk to NPC X - > magically teleported to NPC X:

OMG! WAT IS HAPPENING TO ME? WHERE AM I? WHY AM I HERE? HOW DID CLICKING ON 'TALK TO NPC X' LEAD ME TO THIS STRANGE PLACE WHICH IS NPC X HOUSE?!!!

AngryKobold

Arcane
Just thought it's gonna be a good distraction from work today. Complaining about obvious design flaws in a game beyond any help in a thread filled with incurable fanboys. Disappointing so far.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

OMG! WAT IS HAPPENING TO ME? WHERE AM I? WHY AM I HERE? HOW DID CLICKING ON 'TALK TO NPC X' LEAD ME TO THIS STRANGE PLACE WHICH IS NPC X HOUSE?!!!
I love the game, I love the writing, the characters and the world lore... But boy do I dislike this teleportation shit that plagues the game from start to end.

Like the lack of an in-game map in underrail, it's one of those sore points that doesn't quite ruin my experience but tops all my 'this could have been so much better' wishlists.

Mychkine

Educated
I hope you'll sell a significant number of copies in my home country, France. I remember that the best french videogames newspaper, Canard PC, did some coverage of AoD during its developpement. I hope they will cover the release. They have a soft spot for well written RPG with intricate plots and for "old school" games, so I can imagine they will enjoy the game.

You intend to send copies of the game to newspapers and internet sites, I imagine?

AngryKobold

Arcane

I have faint hope it's not serious. Otherwise it's the best argument to exclude you from any decision making process for the sake of product quality. Or that the results should be reviewed by more competent individual.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Fun fact: SteamSpy released a tool this week to cross-analyze game ownership correlation...

If you take the Kickstarter RPGs "Big Four" - PoE, W2, D:OS and SR:R - there's a group of ~70k Steam users that owns these four games.

Of this select group, a good chunk also owns Skyrim (88%), New Vegas (73%), FTL (67%), Twitcher 2 (63%), Shadowrun: Dragonfall (65%), Legend of Grimrock (57%) and Banner Saga (50%) and even South Park: The Stick of Truth (36%). So there's a sizeable "RPG-fanboy" audience.

However, that doesn't mean these people will buy every RPG available - less than 25% of those also own Dead State, Underrail or Legend of Grimrock II (goddamn, that game flopped).

Also, oddly, there's no sizable correlation between owners of AoD, Underrail and Dead State. In fact, Dead State's audience seems more casual and story-oriented than Aod & Underrail's.

Well, it's a tough scenario... Selling +30k is withing the boundaries of reason, but honestly not an easy feat. Gonna need something special to pull that off. :|

DarkArcher

Educated
First and foremost would be the question of whether they've got any additional languages ready for launch. A text heavy game can be expensive to localize but would help in terms of sales. I'm curious about AoD but won't be picking it up until I read some final reviews.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
I hope you'll sell a significant number of copies in my home country, France. I remember that the best french videogames newspaper, Canard PC, did some coverage of AoD during its developpement. I hope they will cover the release. They have a soft spot for well written RPG with intricate plots and for "old school" games, so I can imagine they will enjoy the game.

You intend to send copies of the game to newspapers and internet sites, I imagine?
I hope they will review it too, but sadly, as you may know, Omar left CanardPc, so who could replace him?

Last edited:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Fun fact: SteamSpy released a tool this week to cross-analyze game ownership correlation...

If you take the Kickstarter RPGs "Big Four" - PoE, W2, D:OS and SR:R - there's a group of ~70k Steam users that owns these four games.

Of this select group, a good chunk also owns Skyrim (88%), New Vegas (73%), FTL (67%), Twitcher 2 (63%), Shadowrun: Dragonfall (65%), Legend of Grimrock (57%) and Banner Saga (50%) and even South Park: The Stick of Truth (36%). So there's a sizeable "RPG-fanboy" audience.

However, that doesn't mean these people will buy every RPG available - less than 25% of those also own Dead State, Underrail or Legend of Grimrock II (goddamn, that game flopped).
GOG or other sources might be a factor here. I own all the games (except Skyrim :obviously:) and like 40% of them on GOG. Especially for kickstarter single player RPGs i prefer GOG over Steam.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It did. My family is supportive because they know how much it means to me. It sounds simple but it's not. It didn't happen overnight. I thought about it for a year and struggled with the decision. At some point the side hobby became a demanding second job and I knew that I had to pick one thing and focus on it.

It probably sounds cliche-ish, but when you have to pick between something that truly matters to you (aka your dream) and a paycheck, trading your dream for money is a very shitty deal that you're bound to regret later on.
Were they relieved that you're working on one job again?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller how much it takes for you to make an opening screen thanking the Codex and put a troll statue in a sikret location?
We'll thank the Codex when we have time to work on the credits screen. No troll statues or in-game references. Not that kind of game.

Were they relieved that you're working on one job again?
Yes, especially my kids. Just being able to walk my daughter to school and pick her up after is something that no money can buy.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What can I say, wish you all the best, but you'll have to somehow make due with people like myself who are going to buy 2-3 copies. Unfortunately, there aren't many people I can preach to besides on this boards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom