Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming Fall 2024

Cross

Arcane
I think so - the production of this game started when there was a revival of interest in paper RPG games thanks to D&D. But now the trend is ending again, and even Hasbro is feeling it, much less other tabletop game companies. In addition, Paradox had a completely different type of problems with Onyx Path, which also made losses.

This may not only be the end of Vampire Bloodlines, but also the end of Paradox's interest in the entire brand.
The lack of RPG elements isn't the only problem with this game. I've seen better combat animations in shovelware games. The art assets look generic and sterile. Just compare the mannequins in this to the ones in Condemned, a game from 2005. Complete incompetence all around.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I think so - the production of this game started when there was a revival of interest in paper RPG games thanks to D&D. But now the trend is ending again, and even Hasbro is feeling it, much less other tabletop game companies. In addition, Paradox had a completely different type of problems with Onyx Path, which also made losses.

This may not only be the end of Vampire Bloodlines, but also the end of Paradox's interest in the entire brand.
The lack of RPG elements isn't the only problem with this game. I've seen better combat animations in shovelware games. The art assets look generic and sterile. Just compare the mannequins in this to the ones in Condemned, a game from 2005. Complete incompetence all around.

Comment under the Vampire video:

11 minutes in, this feels neither like VtM nor like Bloodlines nor like an Action-RPG at all. It feels like a walking-simulator-type horror game with a little hand-to-hand-combat thrown in. From getting "jumpscared" (I think) by the villain to then be put back to the beginning of the area, to the (probably intended to be) "creepy" moving mannequins, to the randomly spoooky floating books and unexplained sudden voiceover to give exposition without rhyme or reason (unless Willem is talking really loudly). Also, though its just tiny details, but why are the Ghoul-illusions 1. falling into sparkles and floating triangles when dispersed as if they were friggin holograms in a sci-fi-game and 2. why are they yelling "show them some thin-blood justice"? Thin-Bloods and Ghouls aren't the same, and Willem is identified (and definitely looks like) a Nosferatu. Both just seem like details thrown in with little to no regard for the lore; which isn't exactly making me any more hopeful that the game will turn out even nearly as accurate to the world and source material as the first Bloodlines was.This gameplay reveal honestly made me wish they'd either stuck with the original developers, or just let the game die back then instead of letting us keep hoping for a good sequel to one of the best RPGs ever made. Because this ... just ain't it. In any way.Honestly, they should just change the title. Fine, advertise it as a VtM-game, but stop pretending its in any way related to the original.

coldaqua

Novice
Is there a single upcoming RPG that doesn't look like shit?

Mystic Land: The Search for Maphaldo is looking great.

Thanks for the recommendations, I've wishlisted both.

No. Rogue Trader is already out.

I've heard good things about Rogue Trader but Owlcat have really buggy releases. I'll wait for the inevitable enhanced edition with all bugfixes.

Ryzer

Arcane
Here is a prediction: despite how bad it's going to be, it's going to sell like hotcakes on release and then people will complain how bad it is but will have hope of future updates (tm) to improve the game.

Update this post on occasion but you know it, it's what is going to happen 100%.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Here is a prediction: despite how bad it's going to be, it's going to sell like hotcakes on release and then people will complain how bad it is but will have hope of future updates (tm) to improve the game.

Update this post on occasion but you know it, it's what is going to happen 100%.

Look at the comments under the videos that Infi posted. And now to some portal. And now on Reditt.

Nobody loves this game.

Your dreams are false, Russian Man.

Tao

Savant
Oof... It was worse than i expected. Even the HSL version looked better.

Where is the RPG part in any of this?
The Dishonored vibe is not bad but it didn't hit the mark. Not even close.

Ryzer

Arcane

Look at the comments under the videos that Infi posted. And now to some portal. And now on Reditt.

Nobody loves this game.

Reddit is not reality, the game is in top wishlist, just like Cyberpunk despite how bad it was on release, sold extremely well.

People will cope with the constant updating and pretend it will be okay.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
HSL and Mitsoda must feel so vindicated by this.

Whatever fuck up happened behind closed doors will probably stay a mystery, and most people don't really care either way.

TCR is going to take a lot of flak for sinking VtMB's chance at a true sequel, and it's not entirely fair on them. But life is rarely fair.

The large wishlist amount was clearly generated during HSL's run, and will only broadcast how big of a failure this game will be. Whoever said this is like Forspoken is right on the money.

Like, they named the PC Phyre. It's like a kid in middle school who wants to get bullied.

Vibalist

Arcane
This is a sequel to a game that sold so poorly the developers had to close, which is right now being derided by the majority of the small amount of people who did buy the original. That it will sell well is a pretty bold prediction. Even if the gameplay trailer had looked like the best thing since, well, Bloodlines 1, it's doubtful sales would turn out to be more than modest.

Tao

Savant
Btw the Nosferatu scream was one of the most beta scream i heard in my life in a supposed man. Not even my ex was that cringed when she yelled at me. The guy looked like someone was trying to rape him or something...

:bioware:

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Btw the Nosferatu scream was one of the most beta scream i heard in my life in a suposed man. Not even my ex was that cringed when she yelled at me. The guy looked like some was trying to rape him or something...

:bioware:
Courtesy of the news thread:
1706744426271.png

what discipline is this?

Vibalist

Arcane
It's the dorito breath discipline. Even elder vampires go into a state of hallucinatory delirium when attacked by it.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Nobody loves this game.

Reddit is not reality, the game is in top wishlist, just like Cyberpunk despite how bad it was on release, sold extremely well.

People will cope with the constant updating and pretend it will be okay.

That I meant was that if Reddit doesn't love this game, I don't think anyone will.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I would honestly be 90% less bothered about this game sucking ass if, instead of "VtM: Bloodlines 2", it was called something like "VtM: Redeadening". Replace Redeadening with literally any word in the English language other than "Bloodlines" or "Redemption".

Just don't pretend that the Machine for Pigs with shitty combat has anything to do with Troika's unfinished masterpiece.

Stop it. Get some help.

The President

Educated
The lack of an inventory, character sheet, or rpg skill mechanics is what I can’t wrap my head around. WTF were they thinking. I’m assuming the ability tree is all various combat abilities and little else.

user

Savant
I would honestly be 90% less bothered about this game sucking ass if, instead of "VtM: Bloodlines 2", it was called something like "VtM: Redeadening". Replace Redeadening with literally any word in the English language other than "Bloodlines" or "Redemption".

Just don't pretend that the Machine for Pigs with shitty combat has anything to do with Troika's unfinished masterpiece.

Stop it. Get some help.
But then how will they be able to exploit the nostalgia to sell their turds and make mad profitz?

KafkaBot

Scholar
This looks like a walking simulator that TCR hurriedly converted into a pseudo-RPG by slapping some barebones mechanics onto it.

The fact that we have a menu tab for "outfits" and not for any other sort of gear is hilarious. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if these outfits were purely cosmetic.

Hell, this could easily pass for a cheap knock-off of Dishonored. Maybe that's what TCR wanted to make originally?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom