Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial Arcanum Patch (Original Thread)

atadadata

Novice
I am not sure if this is intentional or not, but if you pickpocket Ristezze for his key, you can then take the contents of his store chest as well.

Coyote

Arcane
First off, all the usual accolades for your magnificent patch. Thanks for all of the hard work you've put into this.

Just thought I should let you know, whenever I retrieve the ceremonial dagger for the mayor of Blackroot, I run into a dead end; my only dialogue option when speaking to him is, "I'll be off, then." This is true regardless of how I've retrieved the dagger and whether or not I have the newspaper from Dernholm. I've had this problem since at least version 081004 on three different characters; I know that the quest was working as intended at some point before that, but am not sure exactly when the problem showed up.

(I've followed all of the installation instructions, including starting a new game for each release, and have no mods installed besides the current extra pack and high quality town maps.)

Regulator

Novice
I found the fix, so I hope this helps others!

Let me just start by saying that this a classic game, if youve never tried it and are a fan of games like Fallout, then you really need to check this out.
Secondly, once youve downloaded this torrent, mounted the files using Daemon tools or whatever and have gotten all the way to the end of the installation and you get the missing file message (which happened to me), all you need to do is click ignore and continue installation. Now... once i did this it wouldnt get past the loading screen before the program would crash to the desktop, so what i did was remount the second disk (Play) and instead of autorunning it, i clicked "Open folder to view the files on the disc" When windows prompted me, found the two missing files "Vormantown" and "Arcanum3" and copied them to the directory that i had installed Arcanum to, in my case "C:Sierra/Arcanum" and voila, problem solved... I hope this helped at all.

qliveur

Educated
Hey Drog!

I've been lurking around here for a while now, but I finally registered so I could thank you for all of the time and hard work that you put into patching this wonderful game.

Thanks!

Pliskin

Arbiter
I'm about half-way through, and have yet to find the Charged Accelerator Gun schematic for sale anyplace --- and being a gunslinger/techie, I check every gunsmithy I come across.

Bad luck, or...?

Spillmill

Novice
Since the patch is opposed to custom content you may want to post in another thread, or try google - I think I came across some custom content while looking at walkthroughs...

Oh, and I share your love of the classics. I got duped into paying to beta test Fallout 3 for that "developer" called Bethsoft :evil: But then I started playing Arcanum with Drog's patch and felt much better :D

seanfx

Novice
gd_cls_m2m.mes

{8111}{My sincerest compliments.}
{8112}{Your bountiful good health.}
{8145}{Uncommonly good to make your acquaintance.}
{8114}{It is a true honour.}
{8115}{I am very pleased to make your acquaintance.}

line 8145?

some dudes report error message " line 8113 missing bla bla..."

Jazhara7

Novice
Hey there.

I am playing Arcanum for the first time, so correct me if this is normal. I just got the note for finding the Prowling Master from the Fence in Caladon. However, when I look at it, it is empty:

I don't think it's supposed to be that way. I don't use any other mods apart from this patch, so my only explanation would be that this might be caused by the patch. I can still check a walkthrough to see what was supposed to be written on it, but I think you'll agree that it would be better if this were to be fixed. :)

Caladon -> The Mushroom Inn -> in one of the rooms you will find something (should be the right way to become master)

jolers

Novice
hi, im new here and would just like to say thanks to drog for helping make a great game even better. ive started playing again and i can't wait to see the new content and possibly find new bugs...
again thanks to drog and all those who have contributed to this project

jolers

Novice
umm the containers in the old panarii temple in shrouded hills have messed up names and icons.

eg the drawer has a name dresser and icon of chest, the dresser has name chest nd ion of chest..... hope these help

also could you list what the new schematics are, if any... wanted to make a technologist and couldnt decide on the style

Earth Nuggets

Novice
jolers said:
eg the drawer has a name dresser and icon of chest, the dresser has name chest nd ion of chest..... hope these help
Names might be wrong, but the icons are fine. There's only one icon for wooden containers.

jolers said:
also could you list what the new schematics are, if any... wanted to make a technologist and couldnt decide on the style
Charged Axe: 40 Electric, 20 Smithing (Tech Smiths, 5% chance)

Shreck's Multi-Barreled Pistol: Gun Smithy 85 (Bate's Factory)

Clockwork Physician: Mechanical 70, Herbology 85 (Inventors, 10% chance)

Explosive Decoy: Mechanical 70, Explosives 60 (Inventors, 10% chance)

Illuminated Decoy: Mechanical 70, Electric 20 (Inventors, 10% chance)

Spillmill

Novice
Drog, I was able to ask Lloyd in Shrouded Hills about becoming an expert in "Arm Traps", I suspect this should be disarm traps. Hope you're going well.

EDIT: Drog, have you stopped working on the project or just having a well-deserved holiday?

davioneer

Novice
I've been playing the game ever since it was released but the problem is that there are really a lot of bugs...
I lose interest in the middle of the games...
but this is good news because there's someone like you who would want to fix it for us...
thx in advance...

by the way I'm publishing a site to revive the arcanum mania and you could visit it here
....http://www.arcanum-of-steamworks-and-ma ... a.webs.com ....

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is a repost of a post on the house of lords that never got replied to. I suspect what is going on with the familiar now. I had magic affinity consistently at zero in the game, so the familiars were weak and the game models effectiveness through points so i couldn't raise it naturally. Then i noticed Anorrax. WTF.

When having both Magnus and The skeleton guy that was in the Ancient Ruins in your party, there is a dialog that you can use a persuasion check to make magnus accept the guy. Problem is magnus doesn't (if the admissal order is Magnus -> Skeleton)
In the other order it works.

Btw i think that Tula is BOOORING and i wasn't amused that i actually had to solve the puzzle now. At least make us able to go to vergiongoth in the world map before we are supposed too (like with Quitarra).

Also because of heavy metagaming (obvious) i found that some quests would not have the option kind (oh i already did that) or even not show. For example the quest giver to find the iron clan never gives the quest if you already went there (i guess magnus doesn't pester him once he found his clan so no quest).

Edit: Oh and another thing. Why is summon familiar so horrible? I mean he only gains hp and stamina, DOESN'T spend the points he gains (probably because he doesn't have a level up scheme) if it dies, starts at level 1, and can't be resurrected. I think it originally was supposed to be like Dog (that has a level up scheme).

Spillmill

Novice
Drog Black Tooth said:
Spillmill said:
Drog, have you stopped working on the project
Yes.

Why? I stopped caring.

Ok, well that is fair enough. I read this last night and to be honest felt a little emotional and quietened to read that it had all come to an end. The wilderness certainly was appropriate background music.

Drog, I think you have gone far beyond what anyone could ever have dreamed for this project. What you have achieved is utterly astounding: The bug fixes, the lost sprite art, the HQ music tracks, you have single-handedly (with some testing helpers) made the game what it should have been. Your talent is truly remarkable.

Please don't read this as a request to continue. Perfection is not possible and the state the game is currently in because of your work is fantastic. I just want to say that I think you have achieved something great in the last 12+ months. Your work has inspired me and I hope to one day achieve something that I can look back on and say it was truly a great achievement, as you can.

Best wishes for the future and one final thanks for your work. Spill

Icarian

Novice
Drog, you could have released the upcoming fixes so far before quitting, but it's ok.

Thanks.

Spillmill

Novice
Icarian said:
Drog, you could have released the upcoming fixes so far before quitting, but it's ok.

Upcoming fixes were at the end of the change list and there were not enough (about 3 from memory) to warrant another release when Drog decided to call it a day.

weirwood

Educated
Well, before this thread gets closed, I want to chime in as yet another one who appreciates all the time and effort that has gone into this project, especially by Drog, but also by all the testers and bug reporters. This is one of the most professional unofficial patches I've seen for a game, Russian Drama nonwithstanding.

I realise this is bad timing and all, seeing as there aren't going to be any more updates, but there's one question I have: Are Clockwork Decoys supposed to be hostile when you deploy them? They behave quite differently from the new Illuminated ones which join the party, I hope that's not a bug.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom