Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial Arcanum Patch (Original Thread)

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
There's a button on the right of the action point bar that ends turn. Or you can use the 'E' hot key.

Qwinn

Scholar
Cool! My Hot Key list that came with the game doesn't list "E". Thanks for the info!

Qwinn

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yep, it's one of the many things the game documentation forgets to mention.

1eyedking

Erudite
My interface keeps hiding, no matter how many times I insist on pressing K to restore it. This didn't happen before the patch, is there a workaround?

PS: Also, there's no way to turn Autorun off.

Qwinn

Scholar
My interface keeps hiding, no matter how many times I insist on pressing K to restore it. This didn't happen before the patch, is there a workaround?

Yep, having the same issue, although I was using M instead of K to bring it up, heh. It would be nice to be able to keep that interface up at times.

Qwinn

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The 'fullscreen' shortcut runs the game in the compact UI mode. (F10 switches back to the default UI.) Maybe you shouldn't run the game in this mode if you don't like it. Just use the default shortcut, i.e. run the game without any command line arguments. ('-fullscreen' enables the compact UI mode.)

1eyedking said:
Turn off Num Lock.

Worm King

Scholar
Drog, my Arcanum broke. Whenever I try to leave the Black Mountain Clan, whether through the exit or through the Exiting Scroll, the game just freezes up. I tried reinstalling with no success. I only have 3 saves, all in Black Mountain and all are corrupted. Safe mode doesn't help.

Please help.

Qwinn

Scholar
The 'fullscreen' shortcut runs the game in the compact UI mode. (F10 switches back to the default UI.) Maybe you shouldn't run the game in this mode if you don't like it. Just use the default shortcut, i.e. run the game without any command line arguments. ('-fullscreen' enables the compact UI mode.)

F10 worked great, thanks. Didn't know about this, as the icon I got was the Fullscreen version by default. I actually tried removing the -fullscreen switch from the icon, but then when I went in game, scrolling the screen would make the entire screen go mostly-white with bizarre graphic glitches that would erase as I dragged the mouse over the glitches, or if I went into the character screen and returned. Everything works fine if I start up in Fullscreen and hit F10.

By coincidence, I -just- used the exiting scroll in the Black Mountain Clan... didn't encounter any issues, worked fine.

Qwinn

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Worm King said:
Drog, my Arcanum broke. Whenever I try to leave the Black Mountain Clan, whether through the exit or through the Exiting Scroll, the game just freezes up. I tried reinstalling with no success. I only have 3 saves, all in Black Mountain and all are corrupted. Safe mode doesn't help.
Can't help you, I never got save corruption myself, so I'm not sure why it happens and what parts of saves get corrupted. I suspect it may happen in case of a severe memory leak, though.
Qwinn said:
F10 worked great, thanks. Didn't know about this, as the icon I got was the Fullscreen version by default. I actually tried removing the -fullscreen switch from the icon, but then when I went in game, scrolling the screen would make the entire screen go mostly-white with bizarre graphic glitches that would erase as I dragged the mouse over the glitches, or if I went into the character screen and returned. Everything works fine if I start up in Fullscreen and hit F10.
Add '-no3d', it should help.

Itze_rycost

Novice
hi, im new here, ive played arcanum since last year and still addicted to it, and ive learned that someone here make some patch, i dont know which one should i download, just the new one is enough or ive to download the older patch too? maybe if i should download it all can someone bundle it up and pack it in one, coz it easier...

thanks, and many2 thanks to Drog Black Tooth who did it all alone...

Qwinn

Scholar
Just curious, what's the conditions for Chukka to join your party? I don't even get dialogue, he just goes "Hurgh" at me when I try to talk to him after reporting about the BMC to Bates. Bates didn't say anything about him. Using a smoking jacket, his reaction is 40.

My alignment is 68 currently, for the record.

Qwinn

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Itze_rycost said:
hi, im new here, ive played arcanum since last year and still addicted to it, and ive learned that someone here make some patch, i dont know which one should i download, just the new one is enough or ive to download the older patch too? maybe if i should download it all can someone bundle it up and pack it in one, coz it easier...
You only need the latest official patch (1.0.7.4) and the latest unofficial patch.
Qwinn said:
Just curious, what's the conditions for Chukka to join your party? I don't even get dialogue, he just goes "Hurgh" at me when I try to talk to him after reporting about the BMC to Bates. Bates didn't say anything about him. Using a smoking jacket, his reaction is 40.
The check happens only once, when you report back to Bates about the BMC and agree to go to the Isle of Despair. You need CH12 or higher and a free follower slot.

Qwinn

Scholar
Yup, it was just not having an open slot that was keeping me from seeing it. Didn't expect that, most other NPC's you can talk to them even if they'll say no when you ask. So, no bug there :) Just checkin'.

It's been quite a bug-free ride so far! Enjoying the game thoroughly :)

Qwinn

1eyedking

Erudite
Drog Black Tooth said:

1eyedking said:
Turn off Num Lock.
Thank you, worked like a charm.

And sorry for blaming it on your patch!

1eyedking

Erudite
Drog, a question: is there a way to provide number shortcuts to dialogue lines? Example: when in dialogue, pressing 1 would select the first line, pressing 2 the second, pressing 3 the third, and so on.

Circuitous

Novice
Something that always bugged me...

Page 173 of the manual, second Tip: "Putting a point into Gambling at the start of the game will allow you to gamble with the first shopkeeper (and get more items than you would normally be able to afford!)"

And yet, the first shopkeeper (at the end of character generation) refuses to gamble. Ever. Just won't do it, not the type.

Was there any word on this, errata, something? Or was it just a (correctable) mistake?

Qwinn

Scholar
Hey Drog:

I tried editing the files you sent me, with some success, but I couldn't find everything I needed to. There actually isn't -that- much, so I'm thinking it's probably better just to tell you what I've found so far.

01619Herkemer_Oggdoddler.dlg:

"hesitiating" -> "hesitating"
"captial" -> "capital"
"coward's refugee" -> "coward's refuge"
"through out" -> "throughout"

01845Torian_Override.dlg:

"sworn to upheld" -> "sworn to uphold"

01655Master_Firearms.dlg:

"One more for your conscious" -> "One more for your conscience"

02669Leonid2.dlg:

"effect the balance" -> "affect the balance"

03011MhandDialog.dlg:

"sworn their will be" -> "sworn there will be"

01040Ristezze.dlg

"business man" -> "businessman" (he uses it correctly elsewhere in the dialogue, so it's not an affectation)

01895RyanSanders.dlg

"business man" -> "businessman"

01726Daniel_Hallaway:

"with it's return" -> "with its return"

01749Ship_Captain.dlg

"through out" -> "throughout"

01069OgdinDialogue.dlg

"any dwarves other that Thorvald here" -> "any dwarves other than Thorvald here"

I also found and noted these, but I'm not sure which dialog they came in and I can't find them in what you sent me. I -think- these are all rumors that you get talking to villagers/bartenders, which don't seem to be in what you sent me. (The first one definitely is.)

"I unable to help you" -> "I am unable to help you"
"deals only of" -> "deals only with"
"kings business" -> "king's business"

Qwinn

P.S. I found some in game, others looking through dialogue files.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
1eyedking said:
Drog, a question: is there a way to provide number shortcuts to dialogue lines? Example: when in dialogue, pressing 1 would select the first line, pressing 2 the second, pressing 3 the third, and so on.
Should be possible to do this, but it will have to be coded in ASM. I'll add this to my list of wanted features.
Circuitous said:
Something that always bugged me...

Page 173 of the manual, second Tip: "Putting a point into Gambling at the start of the game will allow you to gamble with the first shopkeeper (and get more items than you would normally be able to afford!)"

And yet, the first shopkeeper (at the end of character generation) refuses to gamble. Ever. Just won't do it, not the type.

Was there any word on this, errata, something? Or was it just a (correctable) mistake?
The shopkeeper doesn't have any Gamble skill, thus he won't gamble. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to change this in the main patch, but I will probably include this in the Extra Content module.
Qwinn said:
I tried editing the files you sent me, with some success, but I couldn't find everything I needed to.
You can just open the .dlg files in a text editor and use a search function. Additionally, add '-dialognumber' command line argument to your desktop shortcut, this will show line numbers for PC lines in-game. Also, rumors are stored in modules\Arcanum.dat\mes\game_rd_npc_*.mes. And generated dialog is in mes\gd_*.mes in Arcanum3 to 5 .dat files.

Thanks for reporting the typos, I will fix them right away. However, you mentioned before that you have found a lot of discrepancies between the VO and the actual text in Virgil's dialog. Could you please list them?

Qwinn

Scholar
Eh... after further review, there really weren't any major discrepancies there... what wasn't always transcribed properly was his stuttering, like in the voice file he'd say "What... what" but the text only says "What" once. That text is already pretty long, maybe it was done that way cause it would exceed some limit? Anyway, looking at it again, probably not worth any correction other than the ones I mentioned ("blithering" really sounds like "blathering", and whatever the other one I mentioned was, if there was one).

Qwinn

Circuitous

Novice
I always thought he said blithering with a long i sound, but that's not a proper pronunciation by any stretch.

As for the shopkeeper's Gamble skill: cool, Extra Content sounds good. Thanks for looking into it.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Qwinn,

Fixed all the typos you've reported except for the one in 01749Ship_Captain.dlg, there doesn't seem to be a typo like that.

Qwinn

Scholar
Drog,

I think I found a good one for you to look at!

It always seemed to me to be very strange that the half-ogre guarding the stolen painting at 57 Mulligan Bone Way in Tarant had no real dialogue. As far as I can tell from any walkthroughs (and your patches don't seem to change this), the only ways to get the key to get the painting are to kill the half-ogre (which makes nearby Tarant guards hostile) or to pickpocket it off him.

Curious, I looked at his dialogue file, and there IS supposed to be a way to get it from him via dialogue. Check it out! There are references to a note, maybe it's an unimplemented item? But it also seems it should be possible to bring up both the painting and Rorry's name just by knowing about them (via the "I'm here for the painting." and "Relax, Rorry sent me" options)

The dialogue file is 01283The_Watchdog.dlg

Qwinn

PS. Oops, sorry, messed up the filename on that, the "through out" is in 02232Ticket_Agent_Front.dlg, not Ship_Captain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom