Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unicorn Overlord - Tactical RPG by Vanillaware

Elttharion

Learned
Unicorn-Overlord_2024_01-18-24_001-1440x1440.jpg

Unicorn-Overlord_2024_01-18-24_041-320x626.png

Unicorn-Overlord_2024_01-18-24_006-1920x1920.jpg

:shredder:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Is this coming to PC at all? What are the chances?
I'd give it 10%? Vanillaware stuff never does, but Atlus stuff does... eventually, sometimes. They should port it but I suspect Vanillaware has a hateboner for PC releases, probably one of those 'but teh PIRAZY!' assholes deciding the distribution. It is a better genre for a PC release, but then so is a bunch of SMT stuff that never got brought over, or Dragon's Crown for that matter. It's a shame, it'd probably do well on steam and it'll probably flop on Switch. Kiddy console isn't where you go to sell war games. Fire Emblem barely skates by on name recognition and the fact that it's like 80% dating sim at this point anyways.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It could sell decently on Vanillaware's reputation alone, not releasing on PC is fucking stupid at this point.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not gonna buy on PC if Atlus impregnates the game with the demonic Denuvo baby though. I did that with the Yakuzas and felt dirty afterwards, rather emulate.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see this coming to PC if Vanillaware say no. Atlus published more than just Unicorn Overlord, and 13 Sentinels for them. Both Odin Sphere Leifdrasir, and Dragon's Crown were Atlus published.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Switch Demo is live. Save data will convert to the full game. Going PS5 myself, so I can't test it out.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Played the demo up until the first save point (so basically first tutorial). My tactic for the first boss was to smash one of my armies into it repeatedly, which is not very promising (also even the fast forward button only gives like 2x speed so it still takes a while for everyone to attack, I can only imagine it gets worse as stacks get bigger and get more abilities). The game also has the cardinal sin of not allowing for instant text in dialogues.

It is quite pretty though. Some of the armor designs bother me (why are their elbow guards so big?), but the game looks good. Story seems quite generic. Evil empire who has mind control magic that the protag prince can conveniently break so you can recruit defeated enemies.

So far all the abilites have been on autocast, but I assume you will eventually get to set conditions manually (like healing to trigger if the target is at less than 75% hp instead of less than 100%) and be able to control the formations.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
From what I've played so far, you're basically playing for the sake of seeing Vanillaware's great artwork and characters jumping around the screen. The combat literally plays itself, with the player's contribution being just choosing which units to send into battle and in what formation. It's fun to watch them fight but hopefully the game adds more depth like being able to customize tactics or give specific orders instead of it playing out with the AI.

Jinn

Arcane
The combat literally plays itself, with the player's contribution being just choosing which units to send into battle and in what formation.
So just like Ogre Battle, the game it was essentially modeled after?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom