Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

xammus

Educated
Right now, the draw distance is kinda small, tho - maybe because I'm using Chrome?
Chrome is fine. Drawing Distance currently strictly limited to approximately 70 meters (a little more for the highlighted objects / selected areas). This is enough for the average speed (about 200 set-pass calls in the frame) for medium-performance computers. In the future, I think add configurable options for these parameters.

Nines

Learned
Added 25 more portraits. Link.

iRIb.png
jRIb.png
kRIb.png
oRIb.png
lRIb.png
mRIb.png

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm working on creating my version of the 3d map. It is a web application that runs in the browser. Visit my topic on the official forum, if you are interested in the details.
http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=1918.0

map overview:

Map is not finished yet. At this point, ready: LowerUnderrail, and all that is adjacent to them at this level.
I would be very happy to hear your feedback and ideas about what could be improved!

This looks fucking awesome.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, I'm close to finishing the Deep Caverns and I've had a blast. I've heard so many bad things, but I've found the overall experience very enjoyable. This might be due to the fact that I entered them after the latest patch and they had already received some tweaking in earlier patches, so they must have been improved quite a bit since the early days. Frankly, I was expecting them to be much harder. Maybe it's the fact that I was very well prepared for them, or it's my build (melee knife/gloves with stealth). As soon as I got the gist of things and mapped the place down, navigating is a piece of cake.

Most likely the fact that I'm friendly with both Tchortists and Faceless helped too. I found those supposedly dreaded worms very easy opponents, maybe they have been nerfed. Before entering DC I had almost reached level cap and I was breezing through everything, having a bit more challenge was a welcome change, though frankly I'd like it even more challenging. I really liked that the area focused a lot on exploration and some puzzle-like areas like the Arke power station. I'm really digging all the lore tipbits you get to find too. The story exposition is well made. Leo is a nice character. Well done Styg !

My only complaint is that you are forced to finish the main quest of the area before you are allowed to use the elevators and be able to leave. I think it doesn't serve any purpose. Sure, story and atmosphere-wise you should be initially stranded, but a plot-free way to leave should be obtainable. My suggestion is that you should be able to use the Arke station to power up one of the elevators, because that's the logical way to deal with this. More freedom to deal with situations how and when you want, is always the better choice imo.

BTW, epeli , in the wiki in this page, you have mixed Warehouse A with B. You can power up warehouse A with Arke and not B.

Last edited:

Old One

Arcane
The question is, why does Core City become a drag?

All the walking and screen transitions are part of it, for sure, but I think there's a feeling of aimlessness that sets in as well. The player is suddenly confronted with a large number of choices without much guidance about what the different choices mean. Do I choose JKK, Coretech, or the Praetorians? What's the difference? They all seem equally appealing or unappealing regardless of how you perceive your character and his motivations.

At the same time, a new player has no indication of what remains to be done before he can move on to the next stage of the game.

Saduj

Arcane
Core City was my favorite part of the game so far.

However, the game is starting to drag a bit now. Almost hit max level. Not expecting to improve armor or shield at all. Haven't found a useful gun frame since before Core City. Not particularly excited about having to play nice with Tchortists.

My last save was right after I passed the interview to get into Tchort. I'm assuming I'll have a few quests for Tchortists before heading to DC. Approximately how much game do I have left?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2

However, the game is starting to drag a bit now. Almost hit max level. Not expecting to improve armor or shield at all. Haven't found a useful gun frame since before Core City. Not particularly excited about having to play nice with Tchortists.

My last save was right after I passed the interview to get into Tchort. I'm assuming I'll have a few quests for Tchortists before heading to DC. Approximately how much game do I have left?
One fifth.

hell bovine

Arcane

You don't have to play nice with them. You can just punch your way through (it's a one-way trip to DC, however, so it's better to pack up before).

Saduj

Arcane

You don't have to play nice with them. You can just punch your way through (it's a one-way trip to DC, however, so it's better to pack up before).

That's what I was originally going to do. I had cleared out a decent portion of the Institute. But I thought I read that this breaks the main quest so I reloaded an old save and passed the interview. Don't have that save anymore. :negative:

hell bovine

Arcane

That's what I was originally going to do. I had cleared out a decent portion of the Institute. But I thought I read that this breaks the main quest so I reloaded an old save and passed the interview. Don't have that save anymore. :negative:
You don't need to fail the interview, though; you can attack them whenever you want (say, after finishing shopping :P). There is also one optional side quest, which requires you to kill tchortists to succeed (or at least I haven't been able to find an alternative solution). And yes, you can break the main quest that way, but only if you leave the institute to go back to town while the tchortist are hostile (that's what I meant by one-way trip; going to DC after getting rid of the tchortists is okay). This might have gotten fixed in the recent patch, I haven't tested it.

My suggestion would be to play nice with the tchortists, do the quests and explore the institute, and then decide if it is worth killing them, because that one side quest I have mentioned? Unfortunately also requires exploring the institute before pissing off tchortist.
You need to go through the secret exit through the west wing at least once - but you need to do that while the tchortists are still friendly, so you can return. :roll: The side quest is in the forbidden lab.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Aside from roleplaying the "kill'em all" guy, there's not much point in attacking the institute. I mean sure, an all out slaughter battle is always fun, but you can do it and then reload, as I did. They have some nice quests there and if you stick at pretending alliance, you can be friendly with them in DC too and have a place to fall back and buy supplies from.

In other news I just fought Tchort. He was a giant pushover, pun intended. I didn't even do the mutagen puzzle, because I wanted to try him at full force. It all ended pretty quickly:

I chugged down my drugs and then run straight to him:

vBB8prK.jpg

He threw his tentacles at me, but they did little damage. I killed his "mouth" because he was in my way.

sx235ZI.jpg

Time to hurt his moronic eye. Expose weakness and crippling strike do their job:

bz26QDf.jpg

My crits with the pneumatic gloves start hitting like hell:

N6niPBi.jpg

I let that bitch bleed to death:

q0VILrf.jpg

bP5BCSw.jpg

RqUW6XW.jpg

:hmmm:

The battle ended after 2 turns. I can't say this was exactly satisfying. I mean sure if I waited and his minions surrounded me, things would get tough, but still, Tcort's eye was pretty easy to kill.

hell bovine

Arcane
Aside from roleplaying the "kill'em all" guy, there's not much point in attacking the institute. I mean sure, an all out slaughter battle is always fun, but you can do it and then reload, as I did. They have some nice quests there and if you stick at pretending alliance, you can be friendly with them in DC too and have a place to fall back and buy supplies from.
You can play friendly with the tchortists in the DC even if you kill the entire institute. They have no way of knowing what you did, so you can just lie. :D
(my mage did it because I couldn't find another way to finish a certain quest, so there are rp reasons beyond "kill'em all" to attack them)

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Finally finished the game. Daum, I can't believe I've played so many hours.

PTuAGiI.jpg

Many thanks Styg.

Holy, how many times did you reroll? I covered all of the content in about 80 hours. Deep Caverns probably took 10 at best.

Nobody gave me an answer yet, how was I supposed to know that you have to sit on the spores in order to reach the area where you fight living roots or whatever and get the substance needed to clear out the weird shit at the Tchort gate? That part baffled me, I only managed to figure it out because some dude has a let's play of the game on youtube, but even there I got screwed over because the video just cut to him spinning and getting high and I had to figure it out from there. The only thing I can think of is that Six gives you a hint about it and for some reason he failed to meet me at the entrance, because I scoured every nook and cranny of those caves and found nothing pointing to it. I nearly rage quit the game there, and for good reason, really poor design.

Also, yes, Core City drags the game a bit, probably just because it's so massive. I felt a bit overwhelmed by all the NPCs to interact with, and, much like the Deep Caverns, it harps on the most annoying things in the game: backtracking + area transitions. Also, fuck the Foundry, specially having the guy who crafts super steel be buried under 300 massive areas.

Nines

Learned
The number of days / hours / minutes you see in games is quite different compared to the "real" time spent on them. I don't believe it's possibru to cover all of the content in 80 "Steam" hours. I spent five days in the game, which means around 120 hours, but the "real" time is around 300 hours.

As for DC
Six is quite useless, actually. He only tells you that the tchortlings do not dare to follow him close to the forest, implying that you can find something useful there. I discovered the "passage" to the heart by pure chance. Maybe there are some hints in the living block, but I don't remember anything. The only helpful sentient being in DC is Leo.

I was wondering though, if that botanist woman has anything to do with this forest creature. She was invited to this forest by someone, and it was the last message from her. I actually was wondering about everything that happened in Hollow Earth, but failed to create some kind of picture regarding fates of the scientists (aside from the fact that many of them became Tchort). Seems like they decided to let the test subjects wandering around the complex, and helping them with their needs, which was a really bad idea. The thing I don't get if this was a voluntary decision, or test subjects achieved some kind of psi abilities to control minds.

I also discovered one of the scientists in a secret passage in the ventilation shaft (the one who was a friend of the Dude (is this the same Dude from Rail Crossing?)), sadly, mutated and feral, but also don't get how he managed to end up there.

Last edited:

Dead Guy

Cipher
Aren't the test subjects they let walk around the place the faceless? I thought they were the only ones, or maybe even just one of them, they let wander around.

I never understood how you were supposed to learn that spore infection was needed to progress either. Forest important, sure. Some test subjects were sent there for exposure to see what happened or something? OK, closer, but still pretty far from "stand here until this negative effect reaches 30 and you'll fall through the roof/floor and kill more things for a McGuffin you didn't even know about"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom