Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

railway

Educated
It's kind of embarrassing but after dozens of hours spent with the various Early Access versions, I just realised now, during my first playthrough of the released game, that you don't have to be in stealth for successful pickpocketing. Now I finally get the comments about how good pickpocketing is. :oops:

Considering there's not much C&C or divergent storylines, I'm surprised how much fun I still have with the game even though I played through most of it a couple of times already. Big part of it is of course great combat. I share some of the criticism brought up in this thread, like the dislike of skill cooldowns :)deadhorse:), but nothing comes even close to being a dealbreaker for me.

Another strong point is the exploration and I'm glad I spared some content for my first proper playthrough. I never did the Protectorate/Free Drones and Oculus quest lines before. Still those quests appeared to be a little unfinished, or not as much unfinished (there's closure to all major threads in the end) as cut short. As if at some point during development there was supposed to be more content which was cut to prevent feature creep and finish the game. Which, if that's the case, is of course a rational decision and I can't help thinking this way of "playing it safe" is one (maybe the) major difference, for better or worse, between Underrail and various "rough gem" classics beloved by the Codex.

I went with the Free Drones in my playthrough
and going after Fort Apogee seems like an organic follow up. Granted, the game acknowledges this and gives you a reasonable explanation for why it's not done at this time (FD forces spread too thin and many terrorists freedom fighters were lost already) but at least some kind of comment after taking out the fort yourself would have been neat. :M
What does actually feel cut short however is the whole traitor arc, which is a big deal in the beginning only to be dropped entirely in the end. I know the amnesiac woman in the Hanging Rat is very likely the missing Free Drone and it's implied she also might have been the traitor but the first dialogue with the Free Drone leadership kind of implied information continued to leak until shortly before you arrival while the woman's missing for weeks AFAIR.
It's aso a little strange that you can confront her with those suspicions regarding her identity but apparently there's no way to talk with the Free Drones about it.
Some form of quest similiar to the murder investigation you do for Jack Quicksilver would have been nice. I'd love to see more quests in this vein in general.

The Oculus
questline was incredibly fun all in all. It has some of the game's best quests IMO, like the jailbreak mission in Foundry or the aformentioned murder investigation in SGS. The reveal of their base at the end was a great moment and very unexpected even though I had already met Six in my EA playthroughs.
While getting some more information on Underrail's history and lore through their computers and the mainframe was a rewarding end to this questline, this place left the impression on me, that there was supposed to be more content at some point, more than anything else. You get introduced to this new base, several new characters and a new secret organisation with seemingly limitless potential but they're not really utilised for anything, the big reveal stays mostly inconsequential.
You get one last quest that doesn't really lead anywhere either (unless you can get your hands on Thallo's documents somehow after all?) and then that's it. In the official Underrail forums I stumbled upon a thread discussing some dialogues in the game files but not actually utilised in the game itself which would expand this quest a bit, requiring the support of other characters in the Oculus base, so there was supposed to be more to it apparently. Maybe this is one of the things that get expanded upon with the additional content Styg has been talking about?
Abram's summaries of Underrails current political situation also left me with the impression that the faction mechanics were supposed to be much more dynamic.

In my current playthrough I just reached Deep Caverns. So far I don't understand the heavy criticism this area gets everywhere but admittedly I haven't seen much of it yet. I visited the faceless, explored the nearby power station and had a little chat with an AI.
The higher combat speed from the last patch is a real blessing, making a great game even better.
Another quality of life improvement I'd wish to see eventually is some kind of mark on containers I opened before. I already thought about this before coming down there but DC with its areas full of dozens of shelves and lockers make it especially easy to lose track of what I already searched.

Nines

Learned
It's aso a little strange that you can confront her with those suspicions regarding her identity but apparently there's no way to talk with the Free Drones about it.
But of course there is, you just need to figure out how she called Bate while they were in relationship, to trigger her memory. You can either talk to someone in the FD base, or (probably) steal a love letter from Bate.

hell bovine

Arcane
In my current playthrough I just reached Deep Caverns. So far I don't understand the heavy criticism this area gets everywhere but admittedly I haven't seen much of it yet. I visited the faceless, explored the nearby power station and had a little chat with an AI.
Deep caverns was made less annoying by patches, that's why.

marux

Augur
love how much more manageable the inventory is with groups. the new font seems weird at first but i guess i will get used to it pretty quick.
why can't more developers be like this?

Nines

Learned
Maybe he doesn't actually want to change things in Core City and just uses you as his tool to get his old crib back and collect some bridge toll in the drop zone.
He's a power hungry bastard, just like the people he's running from (at least those people could be less hypocritical). Seeing how he betrayed the SGS made me thinking more about positive sides of being under Protectorate, and negative sides of being "free". Love that stuff, when the game shows you the one side of the coin, and at the very end - the other.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Anybody else got a bug on the save screen where the sound of typing on the text box keeps looping as if you were spamming keys?

damager

Arbiter
Nice sorting options.

Can we have a value/weight sorting next? Something that is needed most imho. And the ability to dumb stuff on the ground / in containers via mouseclick + alt or something.

epeli

Arcane
Anybody else got a bug on the save screen where the sound of typing on the text box keeps looping as if you were spamming keys?
That happened to me once back in some alpha version. Never could reproduce it. Does it always happen or was it just a one-time thing?

And the ability to dumb stuff on the ground / in containers via mouseclick + alt or something.
That's how it already works. Context-sensitive shortcuts like that are shown on item tooltips when applicable.

epeli

Arcane

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Regarding Deep Caverns obscurity:

Six never met me at the initial area. Not sure if this was a bug or what, but he even referenced it when he caught up to me in the elevator after killing Tchort ("we met many times, but when I actually sought you out I missed you" or something of the sort). Does he give you a hint about how to destroy the slime at the gate and that you need to stand on the spores in the mushroom cave for like 2 full minutes in order to get the mykocardia to make the grenades?

Because I honestly think I explored every nook and cranny, talked to everyone, and still got absolutely no hints about either reaching the mykocardia or that I even needed to use it to make the grenades. I walked around for a good half hour on that mushroom cave starting to lose my shit because I was stuck until I managed to find a youtube playthrough that gave me a hint on what I needed to do. This is pretty absurd and really fucking soured my last playing session.

Another thing that also felt pretty obscure to me: flipping the switch on those power boxes at the power station in order to open the entrance to the AI. Had no clue that flipping the switches was the way to open the gate, and had no idea in which position the switches were supposed to stay at.

Everything else was fairly intuitive.

Last edited:

xammus

Educated
I'm working on creating my version of the 3d map. It is a web application that runs in the browser. Visit my topic on the official forum, if you are interested in the details.
http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=1918.0

map overview:

Map is not finished yet. At this point, ready: LowerUnderrail, and all that is adjacent to them at this level.
I would be very happy to hear your feedback and ideas about what could be improved!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fucking awesome! It's like I'm really inside Oculus!

(Why do you have to keep the right mouse button clicked to move around?)

EDIT: Hey! I just saw a little white globe floating around, leaving a red trail behind it , but it vanished before the screencap. What's that supposed to be?

Last edited:

damager

Arbiter
How do you kill psychic apparitions? I always get rekt by them.
My tactic is to kill the caster and run away from them until they despawn. They can not run faster than you, so they won't be able to hit you.

Last edited:

xammus

Educated
Fucking awesome! It's like I'm really inside Oculus!
(Why do you have to keep the right mouse button clicked to move around?)
Thank you! The reason is that the camera must be stationary at the moment of working with the blocks. Since working with the interface while the camera makes rotation very annoying and confusing. "Hold the right mouse button"-method I used because same method is used in the game. Probably not the best solution, yes.

EDIT: Hey! I just saw a little white globe floating around, leaving a red trail behind it , but it vanished before the screencap. What's that supposed to be?
White sphere is the avatar of another Oculite that works with the holographic map from another terminal. =)
Or bot, which I sometimes use for testing.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Right now, the draw distance is kinda small, tho - maybe because I'm using Chrome?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom